Thread: Golden State

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Golden State

This may be outrageous... but I was thinking about how much Monta Ellis is frustrated with Golden State's Front Office and Coaches...

Troy Murphy
    Pacers 2010 Second Rounder (since we have Dallas')

for

Monta Ellis

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Golden State

TJ Ford/Murphy/Foster for Ellis/Claxton/Bell/1st Rounder?

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This may be outrageous... but I was thinking about how much Monta Ellis is frustrated with Golden State's Front Office and Coaches...

Troy Murphy

for

Monta Ellis

GS FO is terrible, but not totally inept. No way they do this deal unless it's for a salary dump. Not to mention why do the Pacers want to take on another albatross contract in Ellis for FIVE YEARS??

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    GS FO is terrible, but not totally inept. No way they do this deal unless it's for a salary dump. Not to mention why do the Pacers want to take on another albatross contract in Ellis for FIVE YEARS??
    Potentially because we can't get any star players in free agency. Just don't see it happening. So in 2011 we'll have all that cap space, and I would expect no real star players to use it on. So you could view it as using some of that future cap space to ensure you're getting a very good player beyond that year, by trading a player who will expire soon.

The only players we have under contract for 2011 at this point are Granger, Hansbrough, Dantay, Rush and Hibbert. According to Hoopshype for a grand total of 23 million or so.

Not to mention if their numbers are correct, Ellis makes 1 million less than Murphy. If the cap shrinks next year and we're in the luxury tax, that would save the team 2 million. Just as a small extra incentive for the team to do it. That and Monta Ellis is a 24 year old guard who if you ignore his first year out of HS shoots near 50% from the field and has talent.

The real question is would GS take Murphy back?

-- Steve --

Banned

i think gs would take murphy back, not dunleavy though...i was thinking more along the lines of murphy/ford for ellis/wright/claxton...i think gs would seriously think about that one. for some strange reason however, i feel the pacers front office overvalues murphy and wouldn't touch that deal.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=yg74oea

that trade would be ideal with us. WE get some expirers also
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

The Warriors could offer him to Portland and probably get a better deal.

Edit: As far as Murphy goes, the guy is 29 going onto 30 and he's not part of anyone's long term core. He'd be a good fit as a big guy off the bench for a contending team willing to pay his salary, but he's not going to be part of a long term core for a rebuilding team.

Monta, even with his issues, is young and talented enough to get back young talent in return. And the Warriors won't include their first rounder. It's going to be too high of a pick.
    Last edited by d_c; 11-18-2009 at 10:35 AM.

I was thinking something more like this:

Ford, Diener, Rush, Hansbrough

for

Ellis, Randolph, and George

It's never going to happen though.

I wouldn't mind taking on Ellis' contract if we don't have to give up a ton to get him.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post

Troy Murphy

for

Monta Ellis
    This much hate for Troy that we're willing to send him back to GS?

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    I was thinking something more like this:

Ford, Diener, Rush, Hansbrough

for

Ellis, Randolph, and George

It's never going to happen though.

I wouldn't mind taking on Ellis' contract if we don't have to give up a ton to get him.
    There aren't many scenarios where I'd give up Rush AND Hansbrough, but this might be one. Still, I think we'd miss Hansbrough's toughness and heart more than we'd glean from Randolph's talent. But I like this deal nonetheless.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    The Warriors could offer him to Portland and probably get a better deal.

Edit: As far as Murphy goes, the guy is 29 going onto 30 and he's not part of anyone's long term core. He'd be a good fit as a big guy off the bench for a contending team willing to pay his salary, but he's not going to be part of a long term core for a rebuilding team.

Monta, even with his issues, is young and talented enough to get back young talent in return. And the Warriors won't include their first rounder. It's going to be too high of a pick.
    you have to consider the contracts here as well...ellis has 4 yrs left, murphy 1. that could be very attractive to golden state.

Quote Originally Posted by millertime90 View Post
    you have to consider the contracts here as well...ellis has 4 yrs left, murphy 1. that could be very attractive to golden state.
    Sure, but that would just be assuming the Warriors simply want to dump Ellis for a shorter contract and nothing else.

Now they were obviously willing (and able) to do that in order to unload Stephen Jackson. They'll be looking for actual talent in return for Monta.

Why is everyone so enamored with Ellis? Sure, he can score, but he's not a true point guard and he doesn't have the size to defend 2-guards. He's not really even a good fit as an off-guard playing with a ball-handling 2 like Kobe or Wade since he's not a good three-point shooter (career 29.5%). His best role really is that of a sixth man, and only contending teams really have the luxury of paying that kind of money to a player like that.

A nice idea, but Golden State would never do that trade. I'll never be convinced that Monta Ellis is a point guard. He's better off as a 2-guard playing next to a solid point guard (i.e. Baron Davis). That said, I would LOVE a starting backcourt of TJ Ford and Monta Ellis. Two of the fastest players in the league starting together would cause havoc on any opposing team...