Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Earth is wonderful!

Default Google Earth is wonderful!

I know it isn't new, but I've just recently used Google Earth. It is really wonderful. Try it out.

If you are like most people, you'll start by looking for your own house, and whether your car was sitting in the driveway or not on the day they flew over.

Then you'll scroll round to Conseco Fieldhouse, and find the really clear street-level photos that Google Earth provides from several angles. You can scope out practically all of the main streets of Indy (and any other large city) with these street-level photos.

The detail in other countries is less - but still amazing. You can, for instance, just type "Taj Mahal" in the "Fly To:" blank and the globe will spin around and zoom you into an aerial photo of the Taj Mahal, which you can circle around with mouse movements.

I looked at my old house in Naryn, Kyrgyzstan, and you can, too. It is at:

41 degrees, 25 minutes, 42.56 seconds North; 76 degrees, 00 minutes, 14.56 seconds East

The place where I lived in Peace Corps was burned down. But the foundation of it is still there at:

6 degrees, 04 minutes, 03.66 seconds North; 8 degrees, 08 minutes, 30.50 seconds West.

Check it out, and share what you find in this thread.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Google Earth is wonderful!

I love it for business purposes too.

My only problem, owing to being non-techie and old, is that I can never find the spot where you can just plug in an address and it takes you there. I generally muck my way around until I stumble upon it accidently.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

geezer, when I'm just looking for addresses, I just use http://maps.google.com

That is why I'm recommending the Google Earth program, instead of just google maps.

If you download the Google Earth program, the zooming around is very easy and all the 360-degree, ground-level photos are there to click on.

Geezer's wish for a blank where he can type in an address is fulfilled. He can not only see the client's house he's trying to sell, but he can spin around and see the landfill across the street and the motorcycle gang clubhouse down the block.

When I pasted your location (the first one of the two you share) into Google Earth, I was looking at the northern Atlantic? Did you work in the Titanic?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When I pasted your location (the first one of the two you share) into Google Earth, I was looking at the northern Atlantic? Did you work in the Titanic?

No The North Atlantic is pretty far from Central Asia. You were looking at 41 North and 76 East?

I tried it again and it flew to a place a few degrees south the correct location. But then when I zoomed and scrolled to my old house again it showed exactly the same coordinates that I cited.

Try this:

What do you find at exactly:

North 42 deg, 20 min, 49.50 sec.
    West 71 deg, 05 min, 50.27 sec.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

And that is exactly what I want if for too!! Thanks Hicks. Now I can easily search for that landfill...and as a geology minor I can look for an undiscovered pocket of oil.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

I've been trying to paste your coordinates into the "Fly to" search box. That's leading me astray.

I had to look it up manually using the optional global grid.

Welcome to the wonderful world of GIS, gentlemen. This is what I do for a living.

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post
    Welcome to the wonderful world of GIS, gentlemen. This is what I do for a living.

I knew you'd have something say add to this, 'woode. I think you use ArcGIS. How much more detailed is that that Google Earth? and does it have the street-level photography?

I've also wondered how much more my daughter in the Navy can see with the Intelligence resources they have.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    I've also wondered how much more my daughter in the Navy can see with the Intelligence resources they have.
    Google Earth is detailed enough, I can't even imagine. Maybe I should change my surfing habits...

Google Maps added a new feature this past week, although I've not found it announced anywhere. They've started showing property lines.

It's crazy.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Putty, yes, I use ArcGIS software. It is still only software...you have to add your own data before it becomes useful. Google StreetView is a wonderful resource, but can't really be used in ArcGIS. I do have Pictometry photography of our county, which is a 40 degree down angled aerial photo from all four compass directions as well as the traditional straight down orthophoto. It is pretty good quality. I facilitated our county acquiring that imagery before I left employment with the county, so I'm happy I got that done before I was booted out!

Anthem, Google has learned how to pull in other vector data from government GIS sites, or they at least capture the data and make it their own and then add it to their own mapping service. Parcel lines are a very important dataset in the right setting. I'm glad to see them adding it to their mapping apps.

Mood

How in the hell can Google, from 250 miles up perfectly triangulate and within millimeters know where my property lines are, and my neighbor's kids are still clueless?

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

You can fix that problem easy enough.

Get off my lawn!
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

I hope I'm packing a rifle like that one when I become the cranky old man of the neighborhood.

You'll probably be better off with more modern weaponry.

Don't get me wrong - we fought two wars with the M1 Garand and it served our nation admirably.

Of all the weapons in that movie, I'll take John Browning's 1911 automatic pistol design every day of the week.

Clint has a Colt M1911A1 in .45

Now that's a pistol.
    Last edited by Los Angeles; 11-19-2009 at 09:45 PM.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

You make a nice case, LA. I'm with ya on the armament. Although I tend to be the cool old guy in the neighborhood who doesn't care if the kids cut through his yard or if the play spills over onto his property. I grew up on a dead-end street in a small town and we never even knew the CONCEPT of property lines growing up. It was wonderful, and that is the way I want to be.

Sorry for the derail. The gun talk was nothing more than a joke and then a side track.

Of course, the idea of pulling a gun on a child should be nothing but ludicrous. People who do that go to prison.

Lawns were never private in my neighborhood in indianapolis, though one time a teenage stoner loser tried to kick my *** for cutting through his lawn on my way to school.

Now, when the neighbor kids are trashing your property, that creates a situation that needs resolution.

Back on topic, I find new surf spots using Google Earth. Killer app.

I'll get one of those prototype guns the Israeli's have that can fold in half sideways to look/shoot around corners. Little punks won't know what hit'em.

HA! Great idea, Hicksy!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Now, when the neighbor kids are trashing your property, that creates a situation that needs resolution.
    That's the situation we're in. My neighbor works two full time jobs and is gone from 6am to 11pm and there is no dad in the picture. Her kids run loose and her house is the neighborhood hangout since every kid knows there's no parent there to hassle them. We find trash in our yard, candy wrappers and pudding cups, and food thrown against the side of our house and into our driveway. They broke our tiny maple tree off at the ground during a game of football that spilled onto our property. They cut deep bicycle ruts into our freshily seeded and watered backyard and looked at us like we were idiots when we told them to get out of the yard. I've caught them taking the rocks out of our flower beds to throw at each other. One kid broke his arm on our property during a football game. I asked our insurance agent about that. She said that even putting up "no trespassing" signs wouldn't keep you from getting sued in that situation and we were just lucky that they didn't sue us. Once, our neighbor was on vacation and left her 20 year old little brother "in charge" of the kids. You can imagine how that worked out. I could go on and on.

Might be time to build a high privacy fence, travmil.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

Mood

Anyway, back to Google Earth. One of my favorite things to do is look for odd stuff on it. Next time you fire it up look up Sedan Nuclear Test site. It's a nuclear test range southwest of Area 51 in Nevada. If you ever want to know haw many bombs our country tested, go look. It's insane. There are literally THOUSANDS of blast craters there. Sedan is the largest, 330 feet deep and 390 ft across.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

google the 50 most expensive homes in the United States....there is good GE dataset for it and it is pretty interesting...