Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Rookie Watch

Default 2009 Rookie Watch

Even aside from the crop of point guards, this "weakest draft in years" is looking reasonably strong out of the gate. I figured this would be a good ongoing thread. Just a place to put comments about rookie performances.

First Round:
    1. Clippers Blake Griffin PF
    2. Grizzlies Hasheem Thabeet C
    3. Thunder James Harden SG
    4. Kings Tyreke Evans SG
    5. Timberwolves Ricky Rubio PG
    6. Timberwolves Jonny Flynn PG
    7. Warriors Stephen Curry PG
    8. Knicks Jordan Hill PF
    9. Raptors DeMar DeRozan SG
    10. Bucks Brandon Jennings PG
    11. Nets Terrence Williams SG
    12. Bobcats Gerald Henderson SG
    13. Pacers Tyler Hansbrough PF
    14. Suns Earl Clark SF
    15. Pistons Austin Daye SF
    16. Bulls James Johnson PF
    17. 76ers Jrue Holiday PG
    18. Timberwolves Ty Lawson PG
    19. Hawks Jeff Teague PG
    20. Jazz Eric Maynor PG
    21. Hornets Darren Collison PG
    22. Trail Blazers Victor Claver SF
    23. Kings Omri Casspi SF
    24. Mavericks B.J. Mullens C
    25. Thunder Rodrigue Beaubois PG
    26. Bulls Taj Gibson PF
    27. Grizzlies DeMarre Carroll PF
    28. Timberwolves Wayne Ellington SG
    29. Lakers Toney Douglas SG
    30. Cavaliers Christian Eyenga SF

First Round:
    1. Kings Jeff Pendergraph PF
    2. Wizards Jermaine Taylor SG
    3. Trail Blazers Dante Cunningham PF
    4. Nuggets Sergio Llull PG
    5. Pistons DaJuan Summers SF
    6. Grizzlies Sam Young SF
    7. Spurs DeJuan Blair PF
    8. Trail Blazers Jon Brockman PF
    9. Pistons Jonas Jerebko SF
    10. Bobcats Derrick Brown PF
    11. Bucks Jodie Meeks SG
    12. Lakers Patrick Beverley PG
    13. Heat Marcus Thornton SG
    14. Pistons Chase Budinger SG
    15. Timberwolves Nick Calathes PG
    16. Cavaliers Danny Green SF
    17. Timberwolves Henk Norel PF
    18. Suns Taylor Griffin SF
    19. Hawks Sergiy Gladyr SG
    20. Jazz Goran Suton C
    21. Spurs Jack McClinton SG
    22. Pacers A.J. Price PG
    23. Spurs Nando De Colo PG
    24. Bobcats Robert Vaden SG
    25. Trail Blazers Patrick Mills PG
    26. Mavericks Ahmad Nivins PF
    27. Suns Emir Preldzic SF
    28. Celtics Lester Hudson SG
    29. Lakers Chinemelu Elonu PF
    30. Heat Robert Dozier SF
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: 2009 Rookie Watch

Brandon Jennings just making all sorts of people look silly right now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brandon Jennings just making all sorts of people look silly right now.
    I'm glad he went #10 instead of #14 or lower...because Pacers Digest would probably go down again due to the stress on the servers.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How do you think Knicks and TWolves fans are feeling right now?

Minnesota drafted 4 point guards, and they still couldnt pick the best one.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Impressive: Jennings, Evans, Flynn, Lawson, Beaubois, Blair, Budinger, Maynor, Collison, Casspi, Gibson

Unimpressive: Thabeet, Hill, Johnson

Meh: Everyone else

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I'm glad he went #10 instead of #14 or lower...because Pacers Digest would probably go down again due to the stress on the servers.
    I don't think we'd ever recover.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post

you are right on this one........

Remains to be seen. I think Flynn is good, but the damn Triangle offense is not a point guard friendly system. Plus, I'm not convinced that Rubio won't be special. I think Jennings will be (is) better, but yeah, Minny botched that draft.

Mood

Man, this kid would be a fantastic match for New York. To say nothing of being in D'Antoni's offense.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Remains to be seen. I think Flynn is good, but the damn Triangle offense is not a point guard friendly system. Plus, I'm not convinced that Rubio won't be special. I think Jennings will be (is) better, but yeah, Minny botched that draft.
    I haven't watched MIN this season, but they are really running the triangle up there? I'm surprised to hear that. Not because of the coach, but because of the roster.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thabeet who is just another Michael Olowokandi or Darko Milicic which Memphis is familiar with.

I wish that someone in the west would've drafted Jennings. It's bad enough he's on a team in our division.

way too early to decide on Thabeet. At least he has a chance to become an elite shot blocker.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

way too early to decide on Thabeet. At least he has a chance to become an elite shot blocker.
    Memphis needs to give him some more minutes backing up Marc Gasol.

I decided on him before the draft. He isn't good. He never will be.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

ok. But that doesnt make it true.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I haven't watched MIN this season, but they are really running the triangle up there? I'm surprised to hear that. Not because of the coach, but because of the roster.
    Yep, they are really running the triangle. Flynn seems to be struggling with it a little bit.

How about DeMar DeRozan in Toronto? He was one of my favorites prior to the draft.

Jennings is a big time scorer. Heck he's more than that. He can board and assist...the real deal...but I wonder if the Warriors were playing any defense...you know, pressuring management to get that trade done.

He did score 25 more tonight but took 22 shots. I suspect once defenses start paying attention, he will not look so good.

ok. But that doesnt make it true.
    Find someone who disagrees. His fans in NBA circles are few and far between it seems. I'm not saying that makes it true, I'm just saying...

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I was thinking about starting just this thread. After scouting and ranting about the last 2 crops of prospects I find myself following their stories much closer. Every day I check on how each are doing in fact.

I feel totally vindicated on supporting Jennings. I wasn't alone, but plenty of people thought he was a ridiculous option. The scary thing is that right now his scoring is getting attention but his passing is his real skill, even in Europe.

DeRozen - I didn't see it in college and so far the jury is out. He's getting PT, he's not floundering but he's not shining for his high pick status either.

Budinger - he's off to a really nice start, another reason I hated the Tyler pick and was hoping for a trade down at that point or a buy back in once the 2nd round hit.

Flynn and Lawson - both are okay at times but I'm still not sold that either are great HALF court PGs, especially Lawson. One of my issues is how high Lawson dribbles and he's still doing it. Out on a fastbreak that's okay but he's begging to be robbed on a regular basis.

TWill - well the Nets stink but I think TWill is doing exactly what I said he would, and that is a little bit of everything. I like his game as a glue piece quite a bit. The problem is the Nets just don't have enough mature firepower yet which makes his ability to glue things together a bit moot for now. But from night to night you'll get boards or scoring or assists from him, and personally I love his passing most of all. I think stats wise he'll look like "meh" but in practical observation is a nice part of a 5 man group.

Sam Young - T'beet is doing nothing, but Sam Young looks decent so far. He was another guy I just loved in this draft. Pleased to see his PT so far.

Jrue and Teague - both came out a year too soon IMO and it shows. They have talent but another year of college play where they got to be the guy running things for a maturity bump would have helped a ton. I think Summers fits that too, and Meeks I just HATED coming out when he did. Huge mistake.

Jordan Hill - the one concern on him was toughness and I think that's been his issue so far. You have to worry about a power guy if he's intimidated by other power. He's got athletic skills to develop into a post player/scorer but he's got to adjust his mindset for the game. After T'beet Hill has the greatest flop potential right now. Crucial for him to find his game soon.

Harden and Curry - not crushing it yet, but solid early signs if you expect steady but not shocking growth. Both appear to be capable so far. The problem for Curry is Nellie, who just has no clue how to use him. What kills me is how could you not realize that you just run Reggie/Rip sets for him over and over. Let Ellis feed him so that Monta can then use him as the fake option to drive for himself. It would kill teams. Or just have Curry play PG instead and struggle. Come on Nellie.

In fact look at the 2nd round, a place picks can easily be bought. Price, Chase, Blair. That is a sick group of talent you could have acquired on the cheap. Each were less the star scorer and more simply the best players on their team with specific roles to make the team better. I like that more because only a few guys actually translate to star scorer in the NBA.

It is way too early on T'beet...but so far it's as rough as you might have thought. His offensive issues and awareness make him almost unusable, which in turn prevents him from impacting games the only way he probably will which is to block shots as KStat says. He does that one thing very well, and he is athletic.

But he showed so little growth last year that you had to be concerned. He has more athletic ability than Roy, but Roy is just so much smarter on the court. Even I underestimate that impact at times (I doubted Roy's own chances).

BTW, the latest Larry Brown casualty is Gerald Henderson. That team stinks, they badly need a huge offensive impact and yet Henderson gets DNP all over the place. I think Brown has completely jumped the shark as a coach. I think he's lost, confused and was already quite a bit overhyped to begin with.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

For all the people saying "I told you so!" regarding Brandon Jennings - congratulations, your bandwagon-hopping has finally panned out.

Jennings landed in a perfect situation with Milwaukee, a team so void of offensive talent (sans oft-injured Redd) that it's allowed a 20 year old rookie to come in and throw up 20 shots a night. To Jennings credit, he's been remarkably efficient and the Bucks are winning (5-3), so he'll likely remain one of Milwaukee's top scoring options for the rest of the season and beyond. Still, it's obvious he's playing way over his head. Once Redd takes some of his shots away and his hot shooting streak ends, he'll dip back down to Earth and finish the season at around 17 ppg on something along the lines of 45/35/80 shooting. Tyreke Evans and Blake Griffith should both give him a strong run for his money when it comes to Rookie of the Year.

This was a very deep draft.
    Last edited by Lance George; 11-17-2009 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    For all the people saying "I told you so!" regarding Brandon Jennings - congratulations, your bandwagon-hopping has finally panned out.

Jennings landed in a perfect situation with Milwaukee, a team so void of offensive talent (sans oft-injured Redd) that it's allowed a 20 year old rookie to come in and throw up 20 shots a night. To Jennings credit, he's been remarkably efficient and the Bucks are winning (5-3), so he'll likely remain one of Milwaukee's top scoring options for the rest of the season and beyond. Still, it's obvious he's playing way over his head. Once Redd takes some of his shots away and his hot shooting streak ends, he'll dip back down to Earth and finish the season at around 17 ppg on something along the lines of 45/35/80 shooting. Tyreke Evans and Blake Griffith should both give him a strong run for his money when it comes to Rookie of the Year.

This was a very deep draft.
    Funny you should mention Tyreke Evans. I don't think it's a coincidence that he only started taking off once Kevin Martin went down, thus allowing him to pull a Jennings, which is basically take any shot he wants and be the focal point of the offense. On the flipside, I think the fact that he has moved over to SG helped too. He's not an NBA point guard.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    So anyone talking up Jennings before the draft was just bandwagon jumping?? No one actually knew about him and the skills he has??

I thought I did but I guess I was just bandwagon jumping (thats what we Pacer fans do, the only reason we are fans is because they are so good right now).

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Merz For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Merz View Post
    So anyone talking up Jennings before the draft was just bandwagon jumping?? No one actually knew about him and the skills he has??

I thought I did but I guess I was just bandwagon jumping (thats what we Pacer fans do, the only reason we are fans is because they are so good right now).
    I agree with that. I liked him and Beabois. But apparently i am bandwagon jumping. That is what makes me a Pacers fan O just love hoping on bandwagons.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showpost...6&postcount=61
    Last edited by Major Cold; 11-17-2009 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    yes they are and that is one big reason why they are struggling so badly.

there are about thre current jennings threads going on right now, but last night the mavs defended Jennings rather well. Force him to his right, be physical, trap him in pick and rolls. Although the point needs to be made that it isn't often thaT A DEFENSE GEARS THEIR ENTIRE DEFENSE TO STOP A ROOKIE POINT GUARD.

Jennings is good - no doubt about it
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 11-17-2009 at 09:52 AM.