Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 09-10 NBA Random Thoughts part VI: Return of the Jedi (again)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 09-10 NBA Random Thoughts part VI: Return of the Jedi (again)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If by mediocre you mean winning 55 games and taking the eventual EC champ Knicks to 7 games in the 1994 ECF semis, then yes I agree they were very mediocre.

There is no doubt that Kobe has an insanely talented cast around him, but he doesn't have one of the greatest all around players of all time playing with him like Jordan did.
    Mediocre was a poor choice of words.

I just hate when people compare Kobe to Jordan, because it is really a stupid argument. Kobe may be one of the 10 greatest players ever, but he's not Jordan.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He still has a chance to be Jordan, but he's not there yet.

The window he has to get there has almost no margin for error, though.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post

He can't retro-actively play the defense Jordan played, can he? I don't see how he can be on par with MJ. He may match the title count, but that's matching MJ's ring number, not individually matching him as a performer.

I think Kobe if capable and often has shown high-quality defense, but unless I'm failing to recall something, I don't think he was ever the consistent performer Jordan was on that side of the floor, and I know he hasn't ever won DPOTY.

Kobe's defense has been getting better as he's gotten older. Jordan was able to play against the other team's 2ns best wing after Pippen matured, so he didnt really have to work hard on defense after he hit 30.

The point is, Jordan's knock used to be that he wasn't a good enough defender. He went out and won DPOY and had about as dominant a defensive run as any guard has ever had. He was even blocking shots at the same rate as the average NBA center. Kobe needs to have a run like that, IMO, to get closer to MJ.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post

Agreed.

He definitely has a decent chance to at least catch Jordan in jewelry. Everyone important on the Lakers is locked up for a while, so as long as he can continue to play at a high level he will be in a position to win a title year after year. It's certainly not out of the question that he could win 2 more and tie Jordan.

Wouldn't it be something if both Jordan and Kobe had two 3 peats in their careers?

But where Jordan has Kobe is the ridiculous amount of individual awards. Kobe won't touch Jordan's 5 MVP's, 6 finals MVPs, or 10 scoring titles.

I still think Kobe ends up being closer to Jordan than Lebron, and that's largely because I think Kobe be more effective in his 30's than LBJ. Like Jordan, Kobe has an exceptional jump shot that he can rely on as he loses his physical explosiveness. LBJ doesn't have a jumper as effective as theirs, at least not right now.

How does Lebron adapt when he starts to lose his physical explosiveness? He's obviously still extremely young at 25, but before you know it he'll be sneaking up on 30. And once you hit 30 in sports your explosiveness starts to fall off a bit. Will Lebron be able to make up for that loss with polishing up his jumpers like Kobe and Jordan? It will be interesting to see. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Lebron will be a bum when he hit's his 30's - that guy will be an all star until the day he retires. It's just that in order to still be the best at age 35 like Jordan, he's going to have to find ways to compensate, because right now his game relies heavily on physical explosiveness that won't be there forever.

I think Kobe at age 35 is better than Lebron at age 35, and that's why I think he'll have the better career when all is said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    He can't retro-actively play the defense Jordan played, can he? I don't see how he can be on par with MJ. He may match the title count, but that's matching MJ's ring number, not individually matching him as a performer.

I think Kobe if capable and often has shown high-quality defense, but unless I'm failing to recall something, I don't think he was ever the consistent performer Jordan was on that side of the floor, and I know he hasn't ever won DPOTY.
    Kobe has made 7 All Defensive First Teams. Will probably add an 8th this year. He's not going to win a DPOY like Jordan, but he's still one of the best defenders in the league year after year.

An epic Stuckey/Monta duel ends in a 5th straight win for the Pistons.

I could not be more thrilled with the current head coach, John Kuester. He's been a blessing.

Sports Logo

Tonight made me thankful for League Pass.

After the crazy finish to the Pacers game, I managed to catch the double-ot thriller between the Bucks and Blazers. Jennings is amazing. IMO, he's making a strong case for best point guard in the east... as a rookie.

Simultaneously, I caught the Mavs-Bobcats finish. When Dirk fades, it's such a smooth shot that's so difficult to block. Still, Larry Brown has Charlotte playing some good basketball and Gerald Wallace continues to carry them. He's serious about wanting to lead the league in rebounding from the SF position.

I also caught some of the Suns Nuggets game where Alvin Gentry almost went Ron Artest on the officials after a questionable no-call cost the Suns the victory. I gotta say, Nuggets are looking really good this season, with an even better Melo leading the way. It was nice to see him get some MVP chants.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Say what you will about Kobe, Melo, or LeBron... but to me the MVP this year has been Dirk Nowitzki so far. He flat out dominated the Thunder last night, shooting an impressive 13-18 last night, 2-2 from downtown with 11 boards, a couple of assists, and a crucial 4th-quarter block as the Mavs were starting to pull ahead.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Joel Przybilla just went down with a leg/knee injury said to look very similar to Greg Oden's. While most of the world will go into mourning upon hearing this tragic news, I'm wondering how Portland doesn't make a move for a big if he's out for any significant length of time.

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    Joel Przybilla just went down with a leg/knee injury said to look very similar to Greg Oden's. While most of the world will go into mourning upon hearing this tragic news, I'm wondering how Portland doesn't make a move for a big if he's out for any significant length of time.
    Wish Foster was healthy enough to trade.

Man Portland has lost Outlaw, Fernandez,Oden and now Pryzybilla.

And they're still a better team then us

Przybilla out for the season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4771214

What a terrible season it's been so far for Portland, but to their credit, they've done well under the circumstances.

Sports Logo

Flip goes off after tonight's loss to the Thunder.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2009/1...s-the-breaking
    Last edited by Kuq_e_Zi91; 12-29-2009 at 11:22 PM. Reason: the embed wasn't working. here's the link.

That's Flip's version of fruit-plate angry.

The video keeps spinning but refuses to load.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    The video keeps spinning but refuses to load.
    Are you using Firefox with Ad-Block? There's a little 20 sec ad clip before the video that Firefox might be hanging on because of the Ad-Block.

Yeah, I was. I tried with IE and got it.

I wish we could trade teams with the Thunder. Man, that team is coming on. They are just going to keep getting better and better as time goes on and will be one of the elite teams in the NBA down the road. Sam Presti is one of the best GM's in the league.

Durant has 6 30 point games in a row. He has become one of the premier players in the game at just 21 years of age.

I might get league pass just to watch Oklahoma City play next year.

What kept Blake Griffin out so long again?
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

Nate Robinson just dropped 41 in Atlanta - 18/24 shooting. 6 rebs 8 assists also.

First game back since 14 DNP - CD's

Knicks win in Atlanta
    New Zealand's Number 1 Pacer Fan!! Visited Conseco Fieldhouse Feb 10 2006

For the record, this is the second time a backup shooting guard has come off the bench to drop 40+ on the Hawks.

Maybe its just me, but I think Jamal Crawford might want to work on his defense.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NZPacer View Post
    Nate Robinson just dropped 41 in Atlanta - 18/24 shooting. 6 rebs 8 assists also.

First game back since 14 DNP - CD's

Knicks win in Atlanta
    I bet DAntoni feels smart.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Nobody said Robinson couldn't play. His talent was not the issue behind his benching.

Maybe Mike DAntoni should've just "swallowed the pill" though.