Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 09-10 NBA Random Thoughts part VI: Return of the Jedi (again)

Default Re: 09-10 NBA Random Thoughts part VI: Return of the Jedi (again)

Quote Originally Posted by DrFife View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't comment on Miller's play this season, but I'm more excited by the Houston-McGrady comment. Murphy, Ford & Foster for McGrady & Chuck Hayes, for example, would be a beautiful financial colonoscopy ... and if TMac gets healthy, it may well improve our team this season. (Heck, while I'm fantasizing, imagine if he'd re-sign with us for a modest amount after this season. I'll bet his wing presence would help Hibby's game.)
    We're not gonna bamboozle Houston on any type of deal with T-Mac. My guess would be that they'd want some players that they could actually use and not just our pupu platter.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

If TPTB want to trade Murph or TJ or both, they could find someone to trade with. I think the real question is, do they really want to? I have lost confidence in the way they (Jim and Bird) assess talent. They seem to think these guys are much more valuable than they really are. At least Jim does for certain.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm watching this Bulls/Cavaliers game on ESPN right now. Man, Chicago has a really crappy offense. I know Gordon is kind of a chucker, but they miss him badly. They need someone who can make an outside shot consistently.

Wow, Kobe at the buzzer, damn that was a good 4th quarter... I'd almost forgotten what it was like to watch a really good game of two great teams.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

did donnie walsh just pin the blame for missing on jennings on his scouting department?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...cks/index.html

Brandon Jennings could have helped the Knicks, as president Donnie Walsh realized last July while watching the 6-foot-1 rookie attack the Las Vegas Summer League.

Walsh tried to turn the episode into one of those "teachable moments." "When I saw him play in Vegas, I did go to our scouts and I told them, 'Look, if you knew he was that good you should have come to me every day in my office and said, 'You've got to look at this guy,'" said Walsh. "I said, 'I listened to you. You said, 'He's good,' but that was about it."

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    did donnie walsh just pin the blame for missing on jennings on his scouting department?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...cks/index.html
    Depends on the context of the conversation. If he was relating that story just to rationalize why they passed on Jennings, then yes.

If, on the other hand, the scouting staff gave an equivocating report, then used it as a CYA when they saw that they'd actually missed, then no. "I told you so" is of no real value to anyone that's worth a damn. If the scouting staff "knew" that Jennings was the real deal, then Walsh is right, and they should have fought for that pick.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I'm watching this Bulls/Cavaliers game on ESPN right now. Man, Chicago has a really crappy offense. I know Gordon is kind of a chucker, but they miss him badly. They need someone who can make an outside shot consistently.
    I'm not even going to mention his name. But his name starts with a T and ends with a roy Murphy.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jonas Jerebko with another double-double. Hard to not appreciate his play, even if he has limited offensive ability. His motor never stops running.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Burtrem Redneck View Post
    Wow, Kobe at the buzzer, damn that was a good 4th quarter... I'd almost forgotten what it was like to watch a really good game of two great teams.
    He's going to be the GOAT when it's all said and done.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

he needs to earn a few more championships and MVPs before he can make that claim. Clock's ticking.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    he needs to earn a few more championships and MVPs before he can make that claim. Clock's ticking.
    I'm pulling for him, and I think he can do it. How many years until he calls it a career?

He's 31, so I'm guessing 5 or 6. He doesnt seem like a guy that will play into his 40's. He'll be pushing 20 seasons by age 37.

Jordan was winning MVPs and championships until age 35, so by that standard, Kobe's got a window, but a short one, with little margin for error.

To get close to Jordan, I believe he needs another MVP/championship season this year.

A defensive player of the year trophy wouldn't hurt him, either. The biggest knock on Kobe compared to Jordan is that he's not a dominating defensive player like MJ was.
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-06-2009 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesterovic View Post

Kobe's amazing... but I don't think he's particularly close to threatening MJ.

streets ahead

Jonas Jerebko with another double-double. Hard to not appreciate his play, even if he has limited offensive ability. His motor never stops running.
    I was very confused for about two minutes as I read these three posts together and failed to note the Burtrem post Thesterovic had quoted. It reads quite differently when Kobe is the possible GOAT instead of Jerebko.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

He's 31, so I'm guessing 5 or 6. He doesnt seem like a guy that will play into his 40's. He'll be pushing 20 seasons by age 37.

Jordan was winning MVPs and championships until age 35, so by that standard, Kobe's got a window, but a short one, with little margin for error.

To get close to Jordan, I believe he needs another MVP/championship season this year.

A defensive player of the year trophy wouldn't hurt him, either. The biggest knock on Kobe compared to Jordan is that he's not a dominating defensive player like MJ was.
    I don't know, I am biased when it comes to Kobe, but he's so dang clutch. I know that I'm going over my head and its pretty much no way to prove it, but if you put Kobe in his prime and switch him with Jordan, the Bulls would have been more successful. He has moves that Jordan couldn't think of doing.

Joakim Noah-F/C- BullsDec. 7 - 5:34 pm et

Joakim Noah, who was ejected from Saturday's game for punching a ball toward the stands, has been fined $15,000.

Noah was tossed shortly before the Bulls allowed Raps' guard Jarrett Jack to tie his shoes while holding the ball near the top of the key with the game clock running - uncontested throughout. Noah is far from 'soft,' but his teammates appear to qualify

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...aspx?sport=NBA

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Danny being out, talk of this John Wall kid and the hopelessness of the Pacers led me to nbadraft.net.

There is not one pass first PG in the whole draft according to them, not just the top 10, but the whole draft.

John Wall has some sick crossovers in that vid, he would fit in good with the And1 mix tape crew I think. But I don't want a kid with no basketball IQ, no outside shot, no interest in defense, score first ball hog as our top pick. That was what I got from their description hehe... I will have to watch some Kentucky games this year to get a better idea.

Besides John Wall, who are the top prospects coming up? What do we have to look forward to? I was pretty dissapointed there weren't any pass first floor general PGs listed.

Mess On Wheels

The Pacers continue to be one of the most frustrating fantasy teams around. T. J. Ford looks like he doesn't care, Danny Granger has been hurt all year and is now iffy after aggravating his heel injury, Mike Dunleavy is limited to 20 minutes, and Troy Murphy is clearly giving us evidence that last year's incredible numbers were a miracle.

Dunleavy's return is making Dahntay Jones owners nervous, and for good reason, as DJ has scored six or less in two straight, and three of his last five games. And Roy Hibbert is waiting until he's finally cut by every one of his owners so that he can flip the switch and start playing like a double-double beast again.

It's hard to believe, but you cannot start a single Pacer with confidence in fantasy right now, which should give Jim O'Brien a clue as to why his team stinks in reality. The entire team is a buy-low candidate right now.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/fea...eid=34288&pg=1

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

I don't know, I am biased when it comes to Kobe, but he's so dang clutch. I know that I'm going over my head and its pretty much no way to prove it, but if you put Kobe in his prime and switch him with Jordan, the Bulls would have been more successful. He has moves that Jordan couldn't think of doing.
    Offense is only one side of the ball. Jordan was the NBA's best defender at the 2. That's why the Bulls won 6 titles, not just the 30 a game.

Also, the NBA isnt a 1 on 1 contest. Regardless of how spectacular his moves are, Kobe has only topped 30 a game 3 times in his career. Jordan did it 8 times.

Please, explain to me how the Bulls could have been more successful? They won six titles, and basically any year that Jordan played during his prime, they won the title.

I'll say two things:
    1) No way a a Jordan-in-his-prime led team misses the playoffs. Kobe did.
    2) No way Jordan's team gets hosed by 30+ points in the deciding game of the NBA Finals, like Kobe's Lakers did to Boston two years ago.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Anyone read this SI article about women in the NBA?
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...wn/index.html#
    Ian Thomsen
    SportsIllustrated.com

I won't post the article because it is quite long. But who else thinks Tamika Catchings would be awesome on the Pacers besides me?

Reading through the article, it seems there has been a woman already in the NBA.

"Ann Meyers Drysdale, now GM of the WNBA champion Mercury, remains the only woman to sign an NBA contract. She had been a three-time All-America guard at UCLA before signing in 1979 with the Indiana Pacers, who released her before that season." I had no idea!
    Last edited by PaceBalls; 12-07-2009 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Please, explain to me how the Bulls could have been more successful? They won six titles, and basically any year that Jordan played during his prime, they won the title.

I'll say two things:
    1) No way a a Jordan-in-his-prime led team misses the playoffs. Kobe did.
    2) No way Jordan's team gets hosed by 30+ points in the deciding game of the NBA Finals, like Kobe's Lakers did to Boston two years ago.
    Won more games. You and Kstat are killing me. I can't back myself up. But I just drool at the thought of Kobe with Scottie and Dennis Rodman and Paxson. To Kobes defense, his team was horse**** for a while.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Won more games. You and Kstat are killing me. I can't back myself up. But I just drool at the thought of Kobe with Scottie and Dennis Rodman and Paxson. To Kobes defense, his team was horse**** for a while.
    Agreed about Kobe not having the benefit of Pip, Rodman, and Paxson / Kerr. But, I believe also that Jordan had the proper leadership skills to motivate and control the moody Pippen and borderline psychotic Rodman where I wonder if Kobe could do that even today. Jordan made his teammates perform better on the floor. Kobe has only improved this aspect of his role as team leader in the last few years, and only by necessity after losing Shaq.

I won't disagree with the last part, but if you are the GOAT, you can't miss the playoffs and sulk through a couple of seasons. Winners just don't do that. And make no mistake about it: Besides Russell, Jordan is the greatest winner in the history of the game.

Edit: You saw when Jordan retired how mediocre that team was. I'd go so far as to wager that Kobe's Lakers had a better supporting cast last year than Jordan ever had.
    Last edited by cdash; 12-07-2009 at 09:20 PM.