View Poll Results: What do you want the Pacers to do first this summer?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trade Troy Murphy

20 33.90%
  • Trade T.J. Ford

26 44.07%
  • Trade Mike Dunleavy

1 1.69%
  • Trade Foster

2 3.39%
  • Trade another player (please specify)

1 1.69%
  • Trade up in the draft

4 6.78%
  • Trade down in the draft

1 1.69%
  • Draft a specific player (please specify)

2 3.39%
  • Trade draft pick, either for a prospect or a veteran.

2 3.39%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Offseason Moves Poll

Default Offseason Moves Poll

Let's look at possible offseason moves for a minute.

I'd like to confine this to realistic options, meaning that firing O'Brien and/or Bird are not on the table.

There are a number of ways to answer the question. You could go with whatever would make you the happiest, whatever would benefit the team the most, etc. Answer however you chose.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Default Re: Offseason Moves Poll

I'd guess priority #1 is to move TJ Ford's contract, so I'll start there. There hasn't been any takers yet, but he is now an expiring, so maybe that helps. Although, if it means taking a long term contract back, then it needs to be an attractive piece. Slippery slope and not very easy to do.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

I'm going with trading Murphy solely because it would increase my viewing enjoyment the most. I want to watch Hibbert, Hansbrough, McRoberts, and a possible PF draft pick play as much as possible next year. Murphy being on the roster is not going to allow that to happen.

I like watching Ford play even less than I like watching Murphy play, but I don't feel like he's going to take minutes away from Price next year, so if he rots on the bench it doesn't really bother me.

That said, I do believe that getting rid of Ford would be the most beneficial short-term move for the team.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

Since Jim's coming back, I want Troy gone so he can't overplay him anymore.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd guess priority #1 is to move TJ Ford's contract, so I'll start there. There hasn't been any takers yet, but he is now an expiring, so maybe that helps. Although, if it means taking a long term contract back, then it needs to be an attractive piece. Slippery slope and not very easy to do.
    It's very, verrrryyyy tempting to put Murphy here, but I think tactically it would be better to Trade T.J. first and foremost.

Why? I think there's more demand for a player of Troy's caliber when the trade deadline in the winter stops by then for players like Dun Dun or T.J.. The exception to this could be Foster IF he manages to put a healthy and productive (defensively) first half season on the floor.

I think PG is the position of most interest to us and I don't want our squad to be led by someone who can't shoot the three or think ahead of time enough/makes decisions (and a lot of times bad ones) while "in-flight".

I want us to either get a veteran PG who is decent (a la Watson/JJ) and let A.J. have major minutes behind that player who can tutor him and see what happens, so we at seasons end know what we have in A.J. and know next summer if he can start (not very likely) or is a good backup (more likely) and we need to get a starting PG when the winter tradeline nears, when we draft next summer or when the summer trading and FA season begins.

OR

I want us to attract a quality PG this summer or draft one who could START for us, enough with the backups and borderline starters, starting for us. That's a difficult mission to complete, though not impossible (I hope!).

I think our problems at PF are easier to solve, especially since I expect us pretty much to pick a decent PF this coming draft which is forward heavy. PG is a much harder position to fill and a lot of times takes more time.

Regards,

Mourning
    Last edited by Mourning; 04-27-2010 at 04:21 AM. Reason: sentence correction
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:

I went with trade Ford. Though trading Murphy is still a top priority based on the fact the O'brien has a man-crush on him. You can still count on Murphy to produce. He's gonna to rebound, he's gonna spread the floor and hit some three's, he's gonna get a solid number of double doubles. I can tolerate that.

I can't tolerate having another overpaid PG on the bench contributing nothing to the team except professionalism b/c he's not complaining about playing time or being traded.

I'd rather have that $8 million being used on someone who can help make this team better in anyway this upcoming season

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So many options, so little opportunity to select them.

Murphy is my first choice because what happens with him will likely open up other currently closed doors for other opportunities, and it should signal the end of the O'B era here.

About the only two that aren't desireable for me are a trade of Foster or Dunleavy. It is doubtful that we would get anyone back in return who is not just a salary dump for either one of them, and I would like Jeff to retire here unless he wants to go to a contender and is in favor of the trade. I also think Dunleavy will be healthier this upcoming season and should be very helpful in maximizing our results due to his understanding of the game and court vision.

Otherwise, literally any of the other options works for me.

I hope we draft Patterson. It's something simple that I think there's a realistic shot of happening (unlike trading Murphy or Ford.)
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Murphy's my first pick, We need to make room for Hans and McBob to develope, and we'll get the best player in return for his big contract and padded stats.

Trade granger and start over. Guys been here forever and obviously never going to lead us to the playoffs.

Sports Logo

I want to trade Dunleavy in the offseason and then trade hold onto Murphy until the trade deadline to max out his value.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Ok. Fair enough. Personally, I would keep Dun Dun around and hope he has a good season and raises his worth to potential buyers at the trade deadline.

OTOH were he not to get traded and have that good season... I could see us paying him for more then I would want us too and considering that I like Dun Dun just fine I doubt that would probably be too much for his services IMHO. It's all speculation though, offcourse.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

TJ...
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Quote Originally Posted by ginobli View Post
    Trade granger and start over. Guys been here forever and obviously never going to lead us to the playoffs.
    This is coming from someone who can't spell Ginobili

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We can package some of these big contracts and maybe get a big contract who's expiring in return just to get a change in things and maybe see if we want to bring them back for a lower contract if they want.

A deal I had in mind was Michael Redd for Troy and Mike.

If Redd can be as effective as he was in the past despite the knee problems, that would be great to have a Danny and Redd wing lineup. Also it'll take the starting SG pressure off of Brandon.

Other than that if we want to save money then just let Jeff and TJ expire.

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    I went with trade Ford. Though trading Murphy is still a top priority based on the fact the O'brien has a man-crush on him. You can still count on Murphy to produce. He's gonna to rebound, he's gonna spread the floor and hit some three's, he's gonna get a solid number of double doubles. I can tolerate that.

I can't tolerate having another overpaid PG on the bench contributing nothing to the team except professionalism b/c he's not complaining about playing time or being traded.

I'd rather have that $8 million being used on someone who can help make this team better in anyway this upcoming season

I understand, but Bird isn't going to trade for a player that Jimmy will play anyway, so what difference does it make whether Ford is sitting on the bench or someone new. If Jimmy doesn't like him, he ain't gonna play.

My choice is to trade Murphy, so Jimmy doesn't have his ctutch and is forced to play other players.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I understand, but Bird isn't going to trade for a player that Jimmy will play anyway, so what difference does it make whether Ford is sitting on the bench or someone new. If Jimmy doesn't like him, he ain't gonna play.

My choice is to trade Murphy, so Jimmy doesn't have his ctutch and is forced to play other players.
    I understand, I just look at it differently I guess. Even with a new coach, I feel Murphy can be used and produce with less minutes in spots, while still having value come trade deadline time.

With Ford I fear we're getting into the Tinsley situation. Thankfully he only has 1 year left on his contract, but I would prefer we get value for him now if we can, b/c another year on the bench will just lower his value. Plus I don't see him being as professional since he's not going to be guaranteed another 8 million dollars after next year, and will want to play in hopes of finding potential suitors and raise his stock some.

Even if O'Brien doesn't play players acquire, hopefully you can get some talent (even if on the bench) that the next coach can work it.

I think Josh McRoberts is a prime example. Even if J'Ob doesn't play him again next year, he's talent that you have on the bench at your disposal when a new coach with some sense takes over

Definitely TJ, he makes too much to NOT play. At least Murphy gets minutes. I do hope Murphy and TJ are both traded though.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    We can package some of these big contracts and maybe get a big contract who's expiring in return just to get a change in things and maybe see if we want to bring them back for a lower contract if they want.

A deal I had in mind was Michael Redd for Troy and Mike.

If Redd can be as effective as he was in the past despite the knee problems, that would be great to have a Danny and Redd wing lineup. Also it'll take the starting SG pressure off of Brandon.

Other than that if we want to save money then just let Jeff and TJ expire.
    I'd rather sit on Murphy and Dunleavy and let them expire as opposed to trading for Redd. His career his is over.

"What do you want the Pacers to do first this summer?"

Listen to every incoming offer. Be active on the phones.

Be prepared to make any move that benefits the team. Label no player untouchable.

Prepare for the transition from O'Brien to the next coach. Make decisions for our "big" offseason a year from now which will make the job attractive for potential candidates as well as free agents.

Check on the situation with our Euro players (Lorbek in particular).

Scout players for next year's draft that we can get with the 9-12th pick.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

WHAT?

5 years is forever?

That is a silly assumption to make as well.

But I hope we end up trading TJ and Troy, but I won't hold my breath.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

With JOB leaving not an option (I'm not saying it should be in the poll, I'm just noting the hard reality that he is supposed to be back) then it is very difficult to impossible for me to do much else in the way of Pacer strategy and involvement.

Let's hope the fans don't feel the same way come opening night this Fall.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    I hope we draft Patterson. It's something simple that I think there's a realistic shot of happening (unlike trading Murphy or Ford.)
    At this stage, Murphy is becoming an asset. IOW, I think we could actually get an asset in return. Maybe we package him up in a larger trade to land a good piece. If we do that AND draft Patterson, that will make for a good summer.

Mood

It took Reggie a few years to get a team around him to compete in the playoffs.....

And how can you refer to the Pacers as "us" when your (misspelled) name is that of a player on another team?
    Last edited by Day-V; 04-26-2010 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This is the key for next year. It's up to Bird to get this done.

If he doesn't move Murphy over the summer, nothing...and I mean nothing...will change next year...because 1) Murphy will start and 2) he will get big minutes.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post: