Thread: Andre Miller to be S&T?

Default Andre Miller to be S&T?

I know a few people here are looking at Andre Miller and he may be available via sign-and-trade. Any interest?

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sport...ping_mode.html

The Sixers are in a shopping mode
    By Kevin Tatum

Inquirer Staff Writer

With at least four spots to fill on his roster for the 2009-10 season, 76ers president and general manager Ed Stefanski was making the rounds yesterday at the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas.

Twenty-one teams are represented in the 10-day event, which began Friday.

"I'm watching players and staying in communications with other teams and agents," Stefanski said by telephone. "We need to add depth."

Though the NBA maximum for player rosters is 15, the Sixers maintained a 14-man team last season. Stefanski said he expected that to be the case again. The team has 10 players under contract.

"We need a guard, a swingman, and two bigs," said Stefanski, who has consistently declined to talk about specific players.

With Andre Miller all but gone, Stefanski is looking for a veteran point guard. The main candidate to fill the starting spot is Lou Williams, a promising but inconsistent combo guard who has not started a game during his four years with the team. And the Sixers can only hope that rookie Jrue Holiday is good enough to earn significant playing time next season.

Miller, a 33-year-old free agent who was hoping to land a three-year deal from the Sixers worth as much as $30 million, was offered a one-year contract at about $6 million from the team he directed with skill for the better part of three seasons.

Stefanski said he had been talking to Miller's agent, Andy Miller, on a "regular basis." Stefanski chose not to comment on rumors of a possible transaction involving Miller and Chris Duhon of the New York Knicks, but a league source said no such move was in the works.

"We're now in a sign-and-trade mode," said Stefanski of Miller, who could also exercise his right to sign with the team of his choosing without the Sixers' receiving any compensation.

With the Sixers having completed a five-day run in the Orlando Pro Summer League on Friday - they combined as one team with players from the New Jersey Nets - Stefanski said he was encouraged by what he saw from Holiday as the UCLA product got his first taste of the next level.

The 6-foot-4 Holiday was the team's first-round pick at No. 17 overall in the June draft. He averaged 8.6 points, 3.4 rebounds, and 3.0 assists last week.

"He's been exposed to the professional game, albeit in summer league," Stefanski said.

"He has real good size, can handle it well, and pressure didn't bother him. And he's a willing defender, and that's important. Every game, we saw a little bit more of him, and that's a positive."

Stefanski would just like to see Holiday emulate the success of rookies like Thaddeus Young and Marreese Speights, who exceeded expectations after joining the team as the Sixers' first-round draft choices in '07 and '08.

"You never know exactly what you have and how fast they're going to come," Stefanski said. "Same thing with Thaddeus. We were very fortunate to find out he is a very good player. Same thing with Speights last year. You have guarded optimism, and I think Jrue is like them."

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Andre Miller to be S&T?

If we could possibly do a sign and trade involving TJ Ford and save a few bucks I am all for it. I really can't see the Sixers wanting to take on TJ at his price tag though.

Miller, a 33-year-old free agent
    that's my biggest concern, only because he was pretty average athletically when he was young, let alone now.

I think he can be productive and is a little notch below Nash/J Kidd in terms of "basketball smarts"

The thing is we would have to get them to bite on TJ Ford, because.
    no way we could have 2 PG's at roughly 16-18 Million on the cap.

Now if we were able to get Miller on a sign and trade for 3 years 6 Million per year, plus filler for TJ possibly.

Although I do think TJ will surprise next year.
    Because the streets is a short stop
    Either youre slingin crack rock or you got a wicked jumpshot

Notorious BIG - Brooklyn's Finest A.K.A. G.O.A.T.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Are we too hard on TJ Ford? I mean, is he really that bad? It seems pretty unanimous around here that TJ Ford is not what we thought he'd be.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With Andre Miller all but gone, Stefanski is looking for a veteran point guard.

---------------------------------

In all seriousness, though, TJ Ford is probably the only player we could realistically trade to Philly. But I think Philly will end up getting much better offers.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

billbradley

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Are we too hard on TJ Ford? I mean, is he really that bad? It seems pretty unanimous around here that TJ Ford is not what we thought he'd be.
    i think we were all so exited that we got disappointed because of too high of expectations. i'm sure that has been said in so many words.

i think tj will be better next year.
    Last edited by billbradley; 07-14-2009 at 10:19 PM.

Banned

I think that the same could be said about Miller, that is the reason why philly is not in a hurry to signing him

Are we too hard on TJ Ford? I mean, is he really that bad?
    Good point, I think as long as we don't sign a PG that could take away his starting role, I thin he will surprise .

If you look on his (don't want to name) page he is really , apparently, motivated and working out hard.

I think the one thing people don't consider is his durability last year, or the fact that only last year was the first year he did not lead his team to the playoffs.

I think we are OK with Ford, Diener, Price

I much more concerned about who can stop anyone from scoring in the paint, and score themselves in the paint

Hopefully Roy/Hansbro could provide a little of that

TJ Ford is not bad. I think folks around here are just sick of watching talented PG's who let their minds get in the way of them maximizing their natural abilities. We're also sick of PG's who both like to dribble and call their own shots too much. You might add to that list PG's who are injury prone and play with inconsistent effort both within games and from game-to-game and are also sub-par defensive players.

In other words, he's too much like the last guy for anyone to be all that comfortable.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

11. The Following User Says Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

We're also sick of PG's who both like to dribble
    Oh my gosh , having severe uncomfortable flash backs of Travis Best

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PugdOut For This Useful Post:

Count will have to check me on this one, but if we did a straight TJ Ford for Andre Miller sign & trade, we'd have to pay Miller $6.8 million next season. If we did a front-loaded deal, starting at 6.8 and decreasing by 8% each season, it might look something like this:

09-10 - 6,800,000
    10-11 - 6,256,000
    11-12 - 5,712,000

That's pretty darn close to the 3 year mid-level deal that Miller wants, and it saves us money over the next two seasons.

- Salman Rushdie

Mood

I would like to see how Miller would do with such a young cast of highly talented core players that we have. Look how Atlanta blossomed with Bibby coming in and running the show. If we could do some sort of S&T without losing any core players I would be for that. Miller could be there and mentor Price.

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    Count will have to check me on this one, but if we did a straight TJ Ford for Andre Miller sign & trade, we'd have to pay Miller $6.8 million next season. If we did a front-loaded deal, starting at 6.8 and decreasing by 8% each season, it might look something like this:

09-10 - 6,800,000
    10-11 - 6,256,000
    11-12 - 5,712,000

That's pretty darn close to the 3 year mid-level deal that Miller wants, and it saves us money over the next two seasons.
    Yeah, that seems right, and I'd do it, and I'd think that Andre Miller would be all over that, but...

Would Philly? It would put them awfully close to the luxury tax, if not over.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Fair enough question, but I would say no. TJ likes to dribble the ball WAY too much for my liking. Whenever he would come down and throw up some crazy fadeaway without passing the ball I threw up a little in my mouth. TJ is a good foul shooter and is very quick, but his vision IMO is very poor for a point guard. TJ is also a below average defender. I think ideally he would be a good change of pace point guard for a starter like Billups, who is a bigger, half court oriented pg, but at a starting pg he is in the bottom third of the league. I am clearly not a huge fan of his game.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

TJ's not terrible, but Andre is better.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

09-10 - 6,800,000
    10-11 - 6,256,000
    11-12 - 5,712,000

Oh heck yes. That would be ideal.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Order more copier toner. Haggard's Avatar

Absolutely.. Take a look at all the pg's that are supposed to be avaliable, I'd still take TJ.
    Haggard's Blog: Can't Buy a Basket. Covering the highs and lows of the NBL

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tinsley, Ford, and Foster for Miller and Dalembert.

Also Miller is wanting 3 years and 30 million. Of course what he wants and what he gets are 2 very different things. But 17 or 18 million is a pretty far cry from 30. I hope you guys are right in saying he would be all over that deal.

Mood

My beef with TJ is he gets into stretches where he forgets he even has teammates and only looks for his shot... there were a handful games last year were it seemed he went an entire qtr just looking for his own shot, saying screw my teammates...

Our worst ball movement last year was when TJ was on the court...

He's only a quality PG when mixes up his scoring and creating for others... and when he drive he thinks pass first, then score second if his drive didn't open up a teammate (but most the time it does, but it doesn't matter b/c he'd rather slam his body against a 7 ft'er and throw up a wild shot and still have no foul called b/c he was out of control...)
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd rather take a young tj ford, than risk it on a 33 year old pg that isn't used to our system. Tj has a year under his belt.
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

25. The Following User Says Thank You to pianoman For This Useful Post:

I think that TJ might play better and force the issue less next year. As in, he won't be trying to PROVE to someone that he's the starter. He should be comfortable in knowing that he's the starter, so he doesn't have to try to outscore any competition for his spot. Maybe he'll play more under control and more like a true PG knowing that it's his show to run. The trouble he's had the last two years was competing with JJ and Calderon.

But he does seem to have a tendency to look for his own (questionable) shot a bit too much, and it doesn't seem like his teammates are always totally sold on him IMO. That could change.

All that said, do we really want to give Andre 3 years? I'd be a lot more comfortable with TJ for the next 2 or offering Andre a 2 year deal with maybe a team option for the 3rd. But at the end of that deal he's 36. I don't want to have money tied up to a guy that may not be producing or healthy at that point. I've always liked his game, but I'm hesitant on the length of the deal. We still want cap room in 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by ESutt7 View Post
    We still want cap room in 2 years.
    Not including Ford's contract, the Pacers have $36 million coming off the cap that season.

Not to mention that if we frontloaded Miller's deal, it would save us about $2 million next season, which might mean not paying the luxury tax.

- Salman Rushdie

Mood

Not including Ford's contract, the Pacers have $36 million coming off the cap that season.

Not to mention that if we frontloaded Miller's deal, it would save us about $2 million next season, which might mean not paying the luxury tax.
    With not matching Jack and that... yeah that could be pretty true ... but not 100% guarantee
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears