Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Jones' signing sharpens focus on defense

  1. #1
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,792

    Default Jones' signing sharpens focus on defense

    I found this article on NBA.com...it talks about the press conference

    By making Dahntay Jones his first target of the summer, and ultimately landing the Denver free agent, Larry Bird sent a clear message about his priorities moving into 2009-10.


    Dahntay Jones and Larry Bird share a laugh during Tuesday's press conference. (Frank McGrath/Pacers Photo)
    "We're trying to guard people," he said Tuesday during the press conference announcing Jones' signing. "We talked about that right after the season. We know we're going to score points but on the defensive end we've got to get better.

    "When we have an opportunity to get a young man that gives it all on the defensive end and is a very good defensive player that's going to take pride to bring everybody else with him, you're going to get better – and that's an area we have to get better in."

    Jones is an elite wing defender who started 71 games for the Nuggets last season, using his defensive aggression and relentless energy to help transform a high-scoring but ultimately non-threatening team bunch into a serious playoff team that reached the Western Conference Finals before falling to the eventual champion Lakers.

    At 6-6, 210 pounds, Jones has the size and quickness to defend all three perimeter positions, not to mention the commitment.

    "I'm very, very competitive and I take that as a personal challenge," Jones said. "I've been taught by the coaches I've played with that defense wins championships and if you don't pay attention to that end of the floor you're ultimately not going to be successful.

    "I take that end of the floor personal and I take my assignment very, very personal. And I take that part of the floor as an integral part of being very successful."

    Jones has intangibles that appeal to Bird
    As Phil Jackson and Kobe Bryant will attest, Jones is a guy who plays with an edge to go along with his energy and that, too, is a signature intangible for Bird's recent acquisitions, notably first-round pick Tyler Hansbrough. Mix in Josh McRoberts (a restricted free agent expected to re-sign) and there should be no wanting for intensity.

    "I like energy guys, I like guys that play hard and when they come to practice they've got talent that brings everybody else up," Bird said. "Now we've got a few of them, our practices are going to be a lot better and we'll be able to compete on a nightly basis. It's all about giving the effort.

    "You want players here that are going to give the effort every day and that's why we got Dahntay and we got Hansbrough and if we re-sign Josh McRoberts, there's a reason we do that – we want players that play hard on the court and off the court and give back to the community."

    Scoring not a high priority for Jones
    What Jones won't be expected to do much is score. He averaged 5.4 points last season and his career mark is 5.1. His trademark is to strip an opponent in the open floor, take it the length of the court and finish with a monster dunk – dubbed the pick and pound. Or fleece and flush. Or steal and slam. Take your pick.

    "I'll probably be asked to score a little bit more but that's not an emphasis of mine," Jones said. "I'll take shots when necessary but my emphasis is to make sure I play defense on a daily basis."

    Then again, he did make 11-of-17 from the 3-point line last season, by far the best mark of his career. So is he just warming up on that end?

    Both Jones and Bird laughed when that question was posed.

    "Just taking open shots," Jones said.

    Whereupon Bird made his point.

    "We've got plenty of 3-point shooters," he said.

    Bird still active, but mum on Jack
    Jones' contract, reportedly four years and $11 million, leaves Bird with room to make more moves in the market.

    "We're still looking, there's no question about it," Bird said. "We've got some things going. Trades you never know about but we do have some money left to go out and look at some players.

    "What we've been trying to do in the last couple of years is pick up pieces. We're going to try to get a core group of young men we can move forward with this franchise and if we have an opportunity, we're going to grab that piece. And we feel we can get a couple more maybe this year."

    He offered no clues about his upcoming decision on point guard Jarrett Jack, who signed a reported four-year, $20 million offer sheet with Toronto. The Pacers have until Monday to either match the offer, allow Jack to sign with the Raptors or work a sign-and-trade deal.

    "When you get an offer sheet that's seven days to match so we've got five or six days to think about it," Bird said. "Right now we're just looking it over and we'll talk to the owner and go from there."

    When asked a follow-up, Bird brought the line of questioning to a halt.

    "This is not about Jarrett Jack," he said. "It's about Dahntay."
    NBA.COM
    http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.ph...u=_P8Ne&ref=nf
    By Conrad Brunner
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,359

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jones' signing sharpens focus on defense

    It looks like McRoberts hasn't resigned yet....but he's getting the same type of "We like what he brings to the court and we intend to resign him" response from Bird that AJ is getting from JO'B.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,604

    Default Re: Jones' signing sharpens focus on defense

    I like how bird kept the focus on Dahntay, not letting it shift to Jack.

  5. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Jones' signing sharpens focus on defense

    I don't see jones as a game changer player, in fact I think he does not make the Pacers better, last year they had Marquis who is a really good defender and can give you points and Graham who could also play some D and score some, Jones is decent but I don't think that he is going to fill the void of either Jack, Marquis and Graham.(maybe Graham). They need to sign another wing who is better than Jones, somebody who can play D and also score, they need to get a better wing and a back up center if they want to go to the playoffs.

  6. #5
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,792

    Default Re: Jones' signing sharpens focus on defense

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see jones as a game changer player, in fact I think he does not make the Pacers better, last year they had Marquis who is a really good defender and can give you points and Graham who could also play some D and score some, Jones is decent but I don't think that he is going to fill the void of either Jack, Marquis and Graham.(maybe Graham). They need to sign another wing who is better than Jones, somebody who can play D and also score, they need to get a better wing and a back up center if they want to go to the playoffs.
    Jones is by far our best defender. We have no one who can cover the CP3s, Kobes, or the Wades or the league. Now we do! Rush and Granger could guard those guys, but Jones will be able to do a better job.

    Jones isnt going to make the Pacers into a contender, but he will make them a better defensive team. I know some people out there are saying that Jones has no offense and hes just plain defense. Well considering that last season we didnt have a problem putting up points, we had a problem defending and thats why Bird signed Jones (not for his offense, because we have enough players that can score, but for his defense).

    You cannot compare Jones to Quis. Quis could be good, but hes always injured and therefore not reliable. I would take Jones at $11 million/4 years over Quis at $16 Million / 4 years any day. Quis might be a better player but Quis isnt that effective sitting on the bench in his street clothes
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,604

    Default Re: Jones' signing sharpens focus on defense

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see jones as a game changer player, in fact I think he does not make the Pacers better, last year they had Marquis who is a really good defender and can give you points and Graham who could also play some D and score some, Jones is decent but I don't think that he is going to fill the void of either Jack, Marquis and Graham.(maybe Graham). They need to sign another wing who is better than Jones, somebody who can play D and also score, they need to get a better wing and a back up center if they want to go to the playoffs.
    I agree with the need for a backup center and an additional wing. A couple of opinions I want to toss in.

    1. Graham was a pretty poor excuse for a defender.

    2. Jones is a better defender than Jack, I would put him on par if not a slightly better defender than Marquis.

    3. We do need another wing, we have one scheduled to arrive sometime around January. That's nice and all, but it leaves a huge hole for the first half of the year. Marquis, imo, would be perfect for our need. If only he'd sign for 2 mil.

  9. #7
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,792

    Default Re: Jones' signing sharpens focus on defense

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozwalt72 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like how bird kept the focus on Dahntay, not letting it shift to Jack.
    Well Bird did make a qualifying offer to Jack (and McRoberts), then after signed Jones. If Jack's market price is $5 million per season, I dont think we can afford that right now. He is worth is nevertheless but we have to avoid the LT
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  10. #8
    Smooth tadscout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Greenfield
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,838
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jones' signing sharpens focus on defense

    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well Bird did make a qualifying offer to Jack (and McRoberts), then after signed Jones. If Jack's market price is $5 million per season, I dont think we can afford that right now. He is worth is nevertheless but we have to avoid the LT
    I think he meant in the press conference...
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

  11. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,604

    Default Re: Jones' signing sharpens focus on defense

    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jones is by far our best defender. We have no one who can cover the CP3s, Kobes, or the Wades or the league. Now we do! Rush and Granger could guard those guys, but Jones will be able to do a better job.

    Jones isnt going to make the Pacers into a contender, but he will make them a better defensive team. I know some people out there are saying that Jones has no offense and hes just plain defense. Well considering that last season we didnt have a problem putting up points, we had a problem defending and thats why Bird signed Jones (not for his offense, because we have enough players that can score, but for his defense).

    You cannot compare Jones to Quis. Quis could be good, but hes always injured and therefore not reliable. I would take Jones at $11 million/4 years over Quis at $16 Million / 4 years any day. Quis might be a better player but Quis isnt that effective sitting on the bench in his street clothes
    He's our stopper. We haven't had one of those. A player whose role is to stop a given player from scoring and take advantage of their mistakes. Quis and Rush are solid or at least potentially solid defenders, but we asked more out of them than that. Jones will excel because he and the team knows his role.

  12. #10
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,792

    Default Re: Jones' signing sharpens focus on defense

    Jones could be equivalent to what Bowen was to the Spurs and what Bell was to the Suns
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  13. #11
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,792

    Default Re: Jones' signing sharpens focus on defense

    Quote Originally Posted by tadscout View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he meant in the press conference...
    sorry...my bad
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  14. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Jones' signing sharpens focus on defense

    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jones could be equivalent to what Bowen was to the Spurs and what Bell was to the Suns
    I would not go that far, Jones is a good defender but he is not even close to those guys you are mentioning, those two guys in their prime were the best defenders in the league and they could also make pay the person that was guarding them by scoring from outside opening the inside for the big guys in their teams, things that Jones is not good at.

  15. #13
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,792

    Default Re: Jones' signing sharpens focus on defense

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would not go that far, Jones is a good defender but he is not even close to those guys you are mentioning, those two guys in their prime were the best defenders in the league and they could also make pay the person that was guarding them by scoring from outside opening the inside for the big guys in their teams, things that Jones is not good at.
    Jones is pretty good at getting to the basket and we all know he can finish near the rim. Jones shot almost 65% from beyond the arch last season (but he didnt shoot that many 3 balls for some reason).
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  16. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Jones' signing sharpens focus on defense

    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jones is pretty good at getting to the basket and we all know he can finish near the rim. Jones shot almost 65% from beyond the arch last season (but he didnt shoot that many 3 balls for some reason).
    all I am trying to say is, don't get your hopes to high, because Jones is not going to change much and he is maybe going to play like 10 to 15 minutes a game, lest wait a see I think.

  17. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,604

    Default Re: Jones' signing sharpens focus on defense

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    all I am trying to say is, don't get your hopes to high, because Jones is not going to change much and he is maybe going to play like 10 to 15 minutes a game, lest wait a see I think.
    Much more than that *until Dunleavy comes back
    *if

    Probably low to mid twenties pre-Dun, 15ish post-Dun is my guess.

  18. #16
    Boom Baby! QuickRelease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,747

    Default Re: Jones' signing sharpens focus on defense

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see jones as a game changer player, in fact I think he does not make the Pacers better, last year they had Marquis who is a really good defender and can give you points and Graham who could also play some D and score some, Jones is decent but I don't think that he is going to fill the void of either Jack, Marquis and Graham.(maybe Graham). They need to sign another wing who is better than Jones, somebody who can play D and also score, they need to get a better wing and a back up center if they want to go to the playoffs.
    You remember that end of game situation against the Lakers where we put Jack on Kobe? Remember all of those losses <3 points? The Pacers lost so many close games, where we had leads, but you knew the other team would be back in it eventually..remember that? I'm not designating Jones as a team savior by any means. But he is a strong, durable defender (I feel he's much better than Marquis) with good size. They have plenty of scoring. They don't have near enough perimeter D. I disagree that the signing doesn't make us better.

  19. #17
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,157

    Default Re: Jones' signing sharpens focus on defense

    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jones could be equivalent to what Bowen was to the Spurs and what Bell was to the Suns

    .......or maybe what Mckey was to the Pacers. I see some similarities. Both very good
    defenders and both found offense to be offensive.

    Some are comparing Marquis and Dahntay however I think Dahntay is far more
    physical than Daniels is.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Similar Threads

  1. Pacers Presser @2:30pm to announce signing of Dahntay Jones
    By Granger-Rush09 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 07-14-2009, 05:02 PM
  2. James Jones going home to the Heat
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-10-2008, 03:19 AM
  3. James Jones in Portland...
    By NorCal_Pacerfan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-07-2008, 07:21 PM
  4. Summer Spotlight Shines on Jones, Brewer
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-16-2004, 01:46 PM
  5. OT - Insider NFL Mock Draft
    By kerosene in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-30-2004, 11:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •