Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Last summer's Orlando summer league results

  1. #1

    Default Last summer's Orlando summer league results

    I tracked down an ESPN report I recalled from last summer regarding the performances of players in Orlando. Now maybe the overall talent was at least a little better last summer (it didn't help that this year's crop lost Brandon Rush and Koufos was too injured to suit up), but ultimately its the same event with the same five day setup. Therefore this writeup from 2008 provides an interesting perspective. The guys chosen for the First Team all had effective seasons last year. So while no one can predict success based upon summer league play, one can at least assess if someone is a legitimate prospect as a regular on an NBA’s team rotation. At least that’s how I look at it.

    By the way Brook Lopez was ridiculed by online bloggers after his first game in Orlando because he failed to snare one rebound despite being the tallest guy on the court. Ultimately though we can all concur that Lopez handled himself fine on the boards. And second-year-player-to-be and former lottery pick Joakim Noah, the guy whom Bulls fans think has finally turned the corner after his play in the 2009 post season, did not make either the First or Second Team. And to be fair about the idea of being cautious regarding a guy's play in summer, look at some of the non-impact guys who ended up on the Second Team. Again...perspective.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...-Awards-080711



    Updated: July 12, 2008, 1:26 PM ET


    Best and worst of Orlando Summer League

    By John Denton



    ORLANDO, Fla. -- Not since LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, T.J. Ford and Darko Milicic made their professional debuts here in 2003 has the Orlando Pro Summer League been so packed with so much young, promising talent.

    Although this year's class of first-round picks -- Derrick Rose, Michael Beasley, Russell Westbrook, Brook Lopez, Ryan Anderson, Courtney Lee and D.J. White -- doesn't yet pack the same punch as James and Wade, the group will be memorable for years to come because of its depth, talent and NBA readiness.



    And even steaming second-rounders Mario Chalmers and Chris Douglas-Roberts made their marks by playing with a purpose and proving they belonged as first-round picks. Chalmers secured a three-year, $2.3 million contract with the Heat, and CDR might have locked up a spot as Vince Carter's caddie with a strong week.

    For a closer look at the highlights and lowlights of the week, here's a breakdown:

    BEST PLAYER: Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City


    Ask the GMs who attended the five-day camp in Orlando, and they unanimously pick Westbrook as the week's top performer. Everyone knew he was a defensive ace with his long arms and burly shoulders, but he was far more effective offensively this week than most expected.



    He used his size and burst off the dribble to get anywhere on the floor he wanted. Because of injuries, he never got to play against Rose in what would have been one of the marquee matchups of the week, but he had his way with Chalmers and the other guards in the camp.


    Kevin Durant, the NBA's reigning Rookie of the Year, left highly impressed, and confident that the young core of himself, Jeff Green, White and Westbrook means that OKC will have a winner sooner rather than later.


    BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: Derrick Rose, Bulls


    Disappointing, not because Rose is some sort of bust as Chicago message-board doomsayers fear but because his right knee gave out on him after just two games.

    The Bulls are stressing that Rose's tendinitis issues aren't serious. They believe some rest and an offseason weightlifting program will cure what ails him.

    Possibly of greater concern is the fact that earlier this week Rose confided to Douglas-Roberts, his former University of Memphis teammate, that he was frustrated in Vinny Del Negro's structured offense. At times, he seemed somewhat mechanical and unsure of himself in his two games, turning the ball over eight times and handing out just eight assists.

    But Rose is a can't-miss star, and the Bulls know it. The way he explodes off his hesitation dribble and already understands drive-and-kick concepts show that it's just a matter of time before he's an elite NBA point guard.

    But Bulls fans had better get ready for some growing pains along the way. Just 19, Rose has some maturing to do. And his jump shot is most definitely a work in progress, as shown by his 29.4 percent field goal shooting.



    BEST BIG MAN: Brook Lopez, Nets


    No player made bigger strides this week than the 7-foot 260-pounder with a mean streak and a feathery touch around the basket.

    The 10th pick in the draft -- who was overshadowed coming into this week by Rose, Beasley and Westbrook -- proved himself to be a force on the offensive end for a 4-1 Nets team that was the best in this camp.

    Lopez's ability to use either hand around the basket, face up and score off the dribble, and even bury the 18-foot shot allowed him to thrive offensively. His comfort level and improvement showed as he bettered his scoring output in each of the five games. He had 10 points Monday against Orlando, 18 on Tuesday versus Miami, 22 more against Oklahoma City on Wednesday and another 23 on Thursday against Chicago's Aaron Gray and Joakim Noah. Then, he capped a strong showing with 19 of his 25 points in the second half of Friday's win over Chicago.

    Rebounding (just 4.8 a game) and fouls (26 in five games) are concerns, but Lopez is clearly the Nets' center of the future. And with Nenad Krstic likely on the way out, Lopez should be the starter on opening day.

    "I had the mentality to try and foul a lot, and I thought I achieved that," Lopez joked. "It's really been a learning experience for me, learning to slow down and let the plays come to me. I'm happy with how things went."



    BEST BIG MAN, PART II: Michael Beasley, Heat


    Watching Beasley, the second overall pick in the draft, it's easy to see why he's nicknamed "B-Easy." With his fluid moves, lethal left hand and the ability to hit shots from afar, the game often does look as if it comes easy to him.



    But it's times like Friday, when he's coasting on the perimeter and heaving up four 3-pointers (all misses), that he needs to be reminded that he is, after all, a power forward.

    Beasley showed the ability to dictate the offense from the high post by using his pump fakes and quick first step to get by other big guys. But he did struggle at times on the block, especially against the long-armed defense of New Jersey's Sean Williams. And he has learned already that life won't be simple as a rookie teenager trying to survive in a man's league.

    "I had a good week, and overall I played decent," said Beasley, who finished tied for fourth in scoring (19.6 points per game) for the week behind OKC's Green (22.8), Durant (22.0) and Orlando's Lee (20.2). "I learned that it's not easy for a rookie out there."

    Beasley, at 6-foot-8 (in shoes), will struggle at first against bigger power forwards, but his advantages will come on the high post and off pick-and-pop situations.

    Huffed Beasley: "I told everybody I'm tough. I'm not soft."

    BEST CAMEO: Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City


    Watching 6-9 Durant stroke one jumper after another in his one game Tuesday was worth the price of a press pass.

    He had 22 points, 2 3-pointers and 5 rebounds in a single 27-minute appearance -- and, not surprisingly, his team captured its first victory as the Oklahoma City Nicknames-to-be-named-laters. (Drillers seemed to be the name of choice at the summer league.)

    While most of his NBA brethren have been vacationing in the Bahamas and sipping on fruity drinks with umbrellas, Durant has been humping it daily in gymnasiums across the country. He worked out for a week with Green in Washington and ran drillls at his alma mater at the University of Texas for a few days. After this week's camp, he's scheduled to play in Alonzo Mourning's charity game in Miami, then train with Team USA later in the month in Las Vegas.

    "From day one, it's been a hard thing keeping him off the floor," coach P.J. Carlesimo said. "He's a gym rat and enthusiastic about the game. That's a delight as a coach."

    ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM


    As selected by the 2.2 million viewers of the streaming video coverage throughout the week:



    FIRST TEAM
    G Russell Westbrook, OKC (16.5 ppg)
    G Courtney Lee, Magic (20.2)
    F Michael Beasley, Heat (19.6)
    F Jeff Green, OKC (22.8)
    C Brook Lopez, Nets (19.6)



    SECOND TEAM
    G Jaycee Carroll, Nets (13.6)
    G Mario Chalmers, Heat (15.8)
    G Earl Calloway, Pacers (14.2)
    G Chris Douglas-Roberts, Nets (14.0)
    C Marcin Gortat, Magic (12.8)

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KennerLeaguer For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Last summer's Orlando summer league results

    It's interesting that all of the first teamers had good seasons.

    Chalmers had a nice season off the second team, and Gortat did well for himself, but CDR didn't do much, Calloway was out of the league, and who the **** is Jaycee Carroll?

  4. #3
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,989
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Last summer's Orlando summer league results

    Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's interesting that all of the first teamers had good seasons.

    Chalmers had a nice season off the second team, and Gortat did well for himself, but CDR didn't do much, Calloway was out of the league, and who the **** is Jaycee Carroll?
    I believe Carroll was a short, white kid from Utah State. Good shooter, but doesn't give you much else.

  5. #4
    Member bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,583

    Default Re: Last summer's Orlando summer league results

    Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I believe Carroll was a short, white kid from Utah State. Good shooter, but doesn't give you much else.
    Interesting; apparently the summer league has a type. I've watched guys like Bellinelli from Golden State and Kapono, who sound a lot like that, have great seasons in summer league, then obviously not have their games translate to the regular season. This led me to believe that the summer league is not at all correlated to regular season success.

    But looking at that list of first teamers, maybe it is. I'd be curious to see an analysis matching up summer league and regular season success, especially since Pacer players had a decent summer. And is there a certain type of player, like unathletic shooters, who can excel in the summer but not in the league?

  6. #5

    Default Re: Last summer's Orlando summer league results

    Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I believe Carroll was a short, white kid from Utah State. Good shooter, but doesn't give you much else.
    Im surprised Bird didnt jump all over that one...Just kidding...Just kidding!
    The eyes of the Granger are upon you.

  7. #6
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,868

    Default Re: Last summer's Orlando summer league results

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting; apparently the summer league has a type. I've watched guys like Bellinelli from Golden State and Kapono, who sound a lot like that, have great seasons in summer league, then obviously not have their games translate to the regular season. This led me to believe that the summer league is not at all correlated to regular season success.

    But looking at that list of first teamers, maybe it is. I'd be curious to see an analysis matching up summer league and regular season success, especially since Pacer players had a decent summer. And is there a certain type of player, like unathletic shooters, who can excel in the summer but not in the league?
    I don't know about this theory. Kapono has turned out pretty good...a lot better than the much more athletic David Harrison...who also did well in summer league. Sure, unathletic shooters are not going to do that well. Otherwise, you would have a whole lot of pot-bellied 40 year olds on the all-star team. To be sure, I have met more than a few guys like that who could not possibly miss. Seriously, is this not obvious?

  8. #7
    Member bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,583

    Default Re: Last summer's Orlando summer league results

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know about this theory. Kapono has turned out pretty good...a lot better than the much more athletic David Harrison...who also did well in summer league. Sure, unathletic shooters are not going to do that well. Otherwise, you would have a whole lot of pot-bellied 40 year olds on the all-star team. To be sure, I have met more than a few guys like that who could not possibly miss. Seriously, is this not obvious?
    He turned out OK, but at the same time he doesn't get consistent minutes on a non-playoff team. And he BALLED in summer league. We're talking MVP, 50 point games, etc. And the three guys who stick out in my mind as excelling back when I used to go to the Rocky Mountain Revue in Salt Lake City, UT are Bellinelli, Tsikishvilli, and Kapono; they each were THE hot guy of their summer and yet never panned out to that level. And they share a lot in common. It's not obvious to me why that type of player would tend to be more successful in summer league than the regular season, considering that offensive sets are more disorganized and its not clear why a shooter would prosper in that kind of environment.

  9. #8
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,868

    Default Re: Last summer's Orlando summer league results

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He turned out OK, but at the same time he doesn't get consistent minutes on a non-playoff team. And he BALLED in summer league. We're talking MVP, 50 point games, etc. And the three guys who stick out in my mind as excelling back when I used to go to the Rocky Mountain Revue in Salt Lake City, UT are Bellinelli, Tsikishvilli, and Kapono; they each were THE hot guy of their summer and yet never panned out to that level. And they share a lot in common. It's not obvious to me why that type of player would tend to be more successful in summer league than the regular season, considering that offensive sets are more disorganized and its not clear why a shooter would prosper in that kind of environment.
    There is very little preparation going on during the summer and guys barely even know the names of the opposition, let alone their tendencies. This is so absolutely crucial in a one game series during the summer it's not even funny. This lack of preparation really gives one-on-one guys and great shooters a major advantage. For example, to defend Kapono, you really need to know where he likes to get the ball...how he gets it...when he gets it...from whom he gets it...etc....or he will fill it up all day long because he cannot miss. If someone is guarding him...glued to him...he has a more difficult time. But even so, it is hard to keep track of the dude enough to prevent that sweet stroke from lighting you up. Without a doubt, the Pacers have been on the receiving end at times.

    So, IMO, professional scouting, coaching, game preparation are all very important to be able to stop a shooter who is not too terribly quick...or not too long. If those things are all done well by a quick defensive player, defending that type of shooter is almost always manageable.

  10. #9

    Default Re: Last summer's Orlando summer league results

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is very little preparation going on during the summer and guys barely even know the names of the opposition, let alone their tendencies. This is so absolutely crucial in a one game series during the summer it's not even funny. This lack of preparation really gives one-on-one guys and great shooters a major advantage.

    Good point. Folks also claim big men are typically those who will fare worst in summer league. People last summer didn't expect Lopez to do well in Orlando because summer league isn't typically about getting the big man the ball.

  11. #10
    Member bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,583

    Default Re: Last summer's Orlando summer league results

    Quote Originally Posted by KennerLeaguer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good point. Folks also claim big men are typically those who will fare worst in summer league. People last summer didn't expect Lopez to do well in Orlando because summer league isn't typically about getting the big man the ball.
    Exactly. I would actually expect that bigs and shooters fare worse in summer league. They are dependent on others to get them the ball. Conversely I would expect slashing guards to play well because they have the ball in their hands and can create their own shot. Surprised there's so many examples of it being the other way around. Your point about defenses is a sound one, but I'm surprised that a few blown coverages can compensate for the general lack of offensive organization.

Similar Threads

  1. Hungry Hungry Hibbert + Psycho T= summer league studs
    By spazzxb in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-11-2009, 08:45 PM
  2. Pacers not participating in Summer League?
    By OakMoses in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 11:58 AM
  3. A look back at Hibbert's past and growth
    By KennerLeaguer in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-11-2008, 06:08 AM
  4. Magic's top-pick Lee signs, to play summer league [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-03-2008, 05:10 PM
  5. 04-01-2004
    By kerosene in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 01:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •