Thread: 10 cars that brought down Detroit

Default 10 cars that brought down Detroit

Here's a list of 10 vehicles that symbolize, one way or another, Detroit's failures over the past three decades. In a couple of cases, they talk about decent cars that were kept around for too long, or modest platforms that were marketed the wrong way.

But, on the other hand, there's the Pontiac Aztek and the Chevy Vega.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31688479/

I think it is silly to include the Taurus on this list. that was quite a good car. Otherwise, it is pretty good. These models weren't the only thing GM, Ford and Chrysler were selling at the time, but they represent very great and costly mistakes.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Default Re: 10 cars that brought down Detroit

I'm not sure I agree with the Jeep Cherokee. Seems like a solid ride and decent seller to me.

But hey, what do I know ?? The Aztek & Vega - uh, yeah. Oops.

My jeep cherokee is one of the best cars I have ever owned. 262000 miles and still going solid as a rock. The engine in that was one of the most dependable ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure I agree with the Jeep Cherokee.

Good point. The Cherokee is on the list, I think, because Jeep stayed with it too long and didn't see how the market was changing.

Conventional wisdom to this point was that customers who bought what were then called “four-wheel drives” were young and, like sport coupe buyers, were more interested in sporty two-door styling than rear-seat practicality. But families discovered the Cherokee and rivals noticed the trend. Ford quickly prepared the four-door Explorer and the industry raced toward its switch to truck sales because the Cherokee saw unexpected demand for a new product -- the SUV.
    So Jeep started a trend and then failed to recognize it. the failure wasn't with the Cherokee, but with the corporate executives.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The last three on the list are bad choices. The Cherokee, Explorer and Taurus are all very good cars that sold very, very well. I think in a list like this is needs to be cars that just bombed sales wise. I believe the Taurus is actually on of the best selling cars ever since it was around so long and always had strong sales. Hell Ford renamed the 500 to Taurus and sales went up just cause the name...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Explorer was a bad car because of how its PR was handled.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Explorer was a bad car because of how its PR was handled.
    It still had strong sales. When I think of cars that brought Detroit down, it is cars that just didn't sell well at all. PR was terrible, but people still bought it.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I think the article is saying that both the Cherokee and the Explorer ushered in an unsustainable trend in American automotives that peaked with the Hummer H2.

It's kind of like blaming Eddie Van Halen for ushering in an entire decade of horrendous million-note guitar solos. EVH was pretty good, but he represents a the beginning of a chapter of rock music that a lot of people would prefer to forget.

The Cherokee and the Explorer were fine enough cars, but they wreaked havoc on the industry by pushing every automaker to make cars that were less efficient, more dangerous, and dependent on an unsustainable economic climate.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    I think the article is saying that both the Cherokee and the Explorer ushered in an unsustainable trend in American automotives that peaked with the Hummer H2.

It's kind of like blaming Eddie Van Halen for ushering in an entire decade of horrendous million-note guitar solos. EVH was pretty good, but he represents a the beginning of a chapter of rock music that a lot of people would prefer to forget.

The Cherokee and the Explorer were fine enough cars, but they wreaked havoc on the industry by pushing every automaker to make cars that were less efficient, more dangerous, and dependent on an unsustainable economic climate.
    The problem I have with that isn't with the car manufacturers though. Cause that falls on the American public, the ones who bough the less efficient, more dangerous and gas guzzling vehicles. The market was there for the SUV's, which is why every car manufacturer, not just the American Big 3, made such vehicles.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

True enough. Then again, it's sort of a chicken-and-egg thing.

While the market surged towards SUV's due to demand, a very big portion of the car buying public were monstrously ignored. Carmakers spent all their resources trying to get a slice of the big pie dessert. Meanwhile the meat and potatoes were left to rot.

Remember, a few of the most successful launches in the era of the SUV were the New Beetle, the Mini-Cooper and the Prius. And those cars had little to no competition for years.
    Last edited by Los Angeles; 07-12-2009 at 06:53 PM.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

woman without a team

The last 3 cars I've bought have been Tauruses. I like them all just fine. In fact I loved the last one. If it hadn't been totalled I might still be driving it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I always liked the Ford Taurus. Those cars were ugly as sin, yes, but they were relatively reliable cars. I had a really nice 05 (I think) until I made the mistake of letting someone else drive and total it.

I got in a terrible wreck in an Explorer once, if anyone has questions about the safety feature of that car, well I can tell you first hand those things have horrible safety.