Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Glenn Frey of the Eagles

Default RIP Glenn Frey of the Eagles

Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Default Re: RIP Glenn Frey of the Eagles

Wow. Singer of arguably the most popular band of the 70's. RIP Glenn. Your(and Henleys') songs are the soundtrack of so many people's lives. Just watched the Eagles documentary a couple weeks ago.
    Last edited by presto123; 01-18-2016 at 10:33 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Damn, that's a tough loss. I saw The Eagles at the KFC YUM! Center in Louisville back in July 2013, which was their first show on the History of the Eagles tour. Great show. Frey was the one who always talked to the crowd, whereas Henley literally said nothing.

Thank God that documentary was made before this happened. This is a brutal loss.

I wonder if Don Felder will say anything?
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 01-18-2016 at 11:05 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Damn, that's a tough loss. I saw The Eagles at the KFC YUM! Center in Louisville back in July 2013, which was their first show on the History of the Eagles tour. Great show. Frey was the one who always talked to the crowd, whereas Henley literally said nothing.

Thank God that documentary was made before this happened. This is a brutal loss.

I thought "Gods" couldn't die. You will know what I mean if you have read Felder's book or seen the documentary.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

When I first started getting into Home Theater there were two dvds I always used to demonstrate how cool a decent system could make you go wow. We're talking around 2000/2001 I believe when folks would question "you spent how much on that tv and stereo". LOL... Anyway I would pop in the Matrix for a little action splash and get the that's really cool. Then put in the Eagles Hell Freezes Over and every time the smile formed on their face with the comment "yeah, I get it now".

Thanks Glenn Frey and the rest of the Eagles for contributing to life's pleasure.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    NEW YORK (AP) — Don Felder had still not given up on speaking again to Glenn Frey.

The former Eagles guitarist, estranged from Frey and the other band members since he was forced out in 2001, told The Associated Press that he felt "unbelievable sorrow" when he learned of Frey's death.

"He was kind of like the James Dean of the band, the coolest guy. He was the leader and everybody looked up to him," Felder said Tuesday of Frey, who died Monday at age 67 after battling a variety of health problems. The two had clashed often, most memorably during a 1980 concert that led to the Eagles' initial breakup, but Felder said he remembered Frey most for the music they made together and for the "laughter and the parties."

"I had always hoped somewhere along the line, he and I would have dinner together, talking about old times and letting it go with a handshake and a hug."

As Felder recalled Tuesday, and wrote in his memoir "Heaven and Hell," Frey was the Eagle who called and invited him to join the band back in 1974. Originally a quartet featuring Frey and Don Henley, the band was turning from the country-bluegrass roots of its first two records and looking for a hard rock sound. Felder, an old friend of founding Eagle Bernie Leadon, played a session with the group and soon became a full-time member.

"The band wasn't about private jets and limos and the Ritz Carlton in those days," he said. "We were playing state fairs and colleges, driving rent a cars and flying coach."

Felder played on such million-selling albums as "One of These Nights," ''Hotel California" and "The Long Run." His greatest moment with the group was composing the musical for the title track to "Hotel California" and watching Henley's face light up when he listened to the demo. "Hotel California" became a signature song for the group, capped off by dueling solos between Felder and Joe Walsh.

But from the start there was tension, brought on unintentionally by Felder. Leadon had a background in country and bluegrass and became unhappy with the Eagles' new direction. By 1975, he had left and was replaced by another rock guitarist, Walsh.

Founding bassist Randy Meisner clashed with Frey during a show in 1977 and soon quit, succeeded by Timothy B. Schmit. Felder had his own conflicts, in part from his desire to write and sing more, and in 1980 almost came to blows with Frey after a concert in Long Beach, California.

The band reunited in 1994, but Felder would clash with Frey and Henley about money and he was fired in 2001. Legal action followed, settled out of court, but Frey and the other Eagles cut off ties to Felder. He said Tuesday that he had not been in contact for years with Frey, Henley, Walsh or Schmit despite efforts to reach them.

After finding out Frey was dead, he did receive a call from Meisner, who has had his own health battles in recent years.

"He was in tears," Felder said.
    https://www.yahoo.com/music/former-e...201200682.html
    Glenn’s passing was so unexpected and has left me with a very heavy heart filled with sorrow. He was so young and still full of amazing genius. He was an extremely talented songwriter, arranger, leader, singer, guitarist – you name it – and Glenn could do it and create “MAGIC” on the spot. His visions and insights into songs and lyrics have become legendary and will echo throughout time on this earth for decades to come.
    Glenn was the one who invited me to join the Eagles in 1974, and it turned out to be a gift of a lifetime to have spent so many years working side by side with him. He was funny, strong and generous. At times, it felt like we were brothers and at other times, like brothers, we disagreed. Despite our struggles and difficult moments together, we managed to create some magical songs, recordings and live shows. His charisma on stage was felt and loved by millions of people all over the world. I have many wonderful memories of those years and the many miles I traveled with Glenn, filled with laughter, song, parties, hugs and brotherly bonds.
    Glenn was the James Dean of the band. He was the leader that we all looked to for direction and by far the coolest guy in the band. It saddens me a great deal that we were never able to address the issues that came between us and talk them through. Sadly, now we will never get the chance. The planet has lost a great man and a wonderful musician today. None will ever be able to take his place. May you rest in peace Glenn Frey, and may God bless you and your lovely family.

Read More: Don Felder Pays Tribute to Glenn Frey's 'Amazing Genius' | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-f...ckback=tsmclip

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    When I first started getting into Home Theater there were two dvds I always used to demonstrate how cool a decent system could make you go wow. We're talking around 2000/2001 I believe when folks would question "you spent how much on that tv and stereo". LOL... Anyway I would pop in the Matrix for a little action splash and get the that's really cool. Then put in the Eagles Hell Freezes Over and every time the smile formed on their face with the comment "yeah, I get it now".

Thanks Glenn Frey and the rest of the Eagles for contributing to life's pleasure.
    Maybe you should have put on the 2005 Farewell Tour being that it is available on blu ray. Not sure if Hell Freezes Over was ever released on blu ray.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Classy comments from Felder.

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Maybe you should have put on the 2005 Farewell Tour being that it is available on blu ray. Not sure if Hell Freezes Over was ever released on blu ray.
    Not to be a smart @ss my friend but I was talking pre-blu-ray. Home Theater started coming into its own with the transition from VHS to dvd and larger rear projection TV's (65" Mitsubishi HD ready was really big at the time) hitting an affordable price point. I actually had the Farewell tour on HD DVD at one point. Still own the dvd but my HD copy experienced disc rot and no longer plays.
    Last edited by RWB; 01-20-2016 at 01:59 PM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Not to be a smart @ss my friend but I was talking pre-blu-ray. Home Theater started coming into its own with the transition from VHS to dvd and larger rear projection TV's (65" Mitsubishi HD ready was really big at the time) hitting an affordable price point. I actually had the Farewell tour on HD DVD at one point. Still own the dvd but my HD copy experienced disc rot and no longer plays.
    My bad. I thought you were talking recently. I have both on DVD as well. Do you have any concert blu rays? If so, what are your favs?

I've kind of got a strange eclectic concert dvd/blu collection. Not too many blu-rays. I'm playing around at work so I'm just trying to go by memory (which is bad) on the blus. Got a $h!+ load of dvds.

Ok on blu-ray
    Woodstock
    Green Day... Awesome as FK
    Elton John... 60 Live at Madison Square Garden
    Bon Jovi... Live at Madison Square Garden
    Foreigner...Sound Stage
    Tom Petty... Sound Stage
    Several Sound Stage blus.... you know, old guy music.
    Dave Matthews.... Radio City
    Stone Temple Pilots.... Windy City Live?
    Adele: Live at Royal Albert Hall... for the Mrs. but I have to admit Adele is a damn good singer.

Dvd wise to throw you a curve after seeing the above... I've got several KISS dvds, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Alice Cooper, Incubus, to INXS, Reo Speedwagon, Styx, Korn live, Nine inch Nails, to blue grass Allison Krauss/Union Station, and pop country Rascal Flatts or Kenny Chesney.

My taste is different... I simply appreciate anyone who has the talent to make good music. Doesn't matter to me what genre.

Edit: The one thing I can't stand and it happens a lot.... the crappy editing of some concert footage. The quick cuts and shaky camera work can make you nauseated. Or now that I think of it... I've got a Pearl Jam dvd that looks like someone took their own personal handycam to record the concert. What got into their brain to think that was a good idea I'll never know. Oooh, sticking it to the man by releasing their own bootleg video.
    Last edited by RWB; 01-20-2016 at 05:33 PM.

I've kind of got a strange eclectic concert dvd/blu collection. Not too many blu-rays. I'm playing around at work so I'm just trying to go by memory (which is bad) on the blus. Got a $h!+ load of dvds.

Ok on blu-ray
    Woodstock
    Green Day... Awesome as FK
    Elton John... 60 Live at Madison Square Garden
    Bon Jovi... Live at Madison Square Garden
    Foreigner...Sound Stage
    Tom Petty... Sound Stage
    Several Sound Stage blus.... you know, old guy music.
    Dave Matthews.... Radio City
    Stone Temple Pilots.... Windy City Live?
    Adele: Live at Royal Albert Hall... for the Mrs. but I have to admit Adele is a damn good singer.

Dvd wise to throw you a curve after seeing the above... I've got several KISS dvds, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Alice Cooper, Incubus, to INXS, Reo Speedwagon, Styx, Korn live, Nine inch Nails, to blue grass Allison Krauss/Union Station, and pop country Rascal Flatts or Kenny Chesney.

My taste is different... I simply appreciate anyone who has the talent to make good music. Doesn't matter to me what genre.

Edit: The one thing I can't stand and it happens a lot.... the crappy editing of some concert footage. The quick cuts and shaky camera work can make you nauseated. Or now that I think of it... I've got a Pearl Jam dvd that looks like someone took their own personal handycam to record the concert. What got into their brain to think that was a good idea I'll never know. Oooh, sticking it to the man by releasing their own bootleg video.

Very good taste my friend. I have a few of the same ones. That Elton one is just stunning. I have KISS, Maiden, Speedwagon and Styx as well. Don't know if you are into Rush, but I would highly recommend ANY of theirs. I have all of them. haha I would also highly recommend the Sheryl Crow Soundstage and the Moody Blues Lovely To See You blu rays.
    Also do yourself a favor and pick up Heart: Alive In Seattle blu ray. You won't hear better vocals than that

Oh man, actually I do have Heart: Alive in Seattle but not on blu. Love Rush and have X30? (something like that) and Rock in Rio which is one of the most intense workouts for your sound system (XYZ is so badass).

22. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Oh man, actually I do have Heart: Alive in Seattle but not on blu. Love Rush and have X30? (something like that) and Rock in Rio which is one of the most intense workouts for your sound system (XYZ is so badass).
    YYZ?

------

-John Wooden

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

RWB

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    YYZ?
    haha...yep....and R30.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Pacer fan since Reggie JimmyJames's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo

Yea this bums me out. I am a huge fan. And the Eagles as a whole had a big impact on me as a guitar player. Today my first guitar lesson wanted to learn "Take it Easy". It was great to get to teach that song. I also have got to teach "Ziggy Stardust" a few times over the couple weeks with Bowie passing away.
    My band is playing a Bowie tribute show in a few weeks. There is talk there might be a "Eagles Tribute" coming as well now. And if so we will get invited to play that. They all had there own style. But he was a top notch writer in the band. I tend to reach for his songs over the other guys.
    If Keith Richards and Joe Walsh go soon we know the Apocalypse is coming........

"Pacers will win 50 games this season" 07-16-2015
    "Ian will average 10-10 this season" 10-21-15

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyJames View Post
    Yea this bums me out. I am a huge fan. And the Eagles as a whole had a big impact on me as a guitar player. Today my first guitar lesson wanted to learn "Take it Easy". It was great to get to teach that song. I also have got to teach "Ziggy Stardust" a few times over the couple weeks with Bowie passing away.
    My band is playing a Bowie tribute show in a few weeks. There is talk there might be a "Eagles Tribute" coming as well now. And if so we will get invited to play that. They all had there own style. But he was a top notch writer in the band. I tend to reach for his songs over the other guys.
    If Keith Richards and Joe Walsh go soon we know the Apocalypse is coming........
    I am a musician as well. I am a 31 year drummer that cut my teeth on Neil Peart. Even though I cut my teeth on the progressive/technical stuff, I can still appreciate what Don Henley did. Especially vocally.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyJames View Post
    If Keith Richards ........
    My money is on him NEVER passing. The guy is a walking miracle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    YYZ?
    Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    haha...yep....and R30.
    Hey, I told you I'm getting old and can't remember things. Always felt bad for RUSH being so poor they had to do their own laundry while on stage.

That's ok I'm always screwing up song titles and lyrics. Peck had to correct me on Pink Floyd lyrics before too.

Only had the opportunity to see Heart live one time. Actually John Mellencamp was the opener and turned out to be the better act for that night.
    Last edited by RWB; 01-21-2016 at 09:52 AM.

Now this thread has me thinking of great concert memories. Not only that but I'm a lover of movies and music but when I hear a song it always takes me back to a certain place and time of my life. Movies have never done that.

So.... since I'm a full fledged AARP participant (to put things age wise into perspective) my memories are on older bands and impressions that were left. Of course mileage is going to vary as these were my personal experiences.

Best show for me personally..... Alice Cooper Lace and Whiskey tour!!! Cooper never did have the magical voice but his shows were so much fun. Between machine-gun toting chickens, the one eyed Cyclops carrying him around, and spiders climbing cargo netting around the arena it was such a blast.

Close to the worst.... Genesis... they are/were great musicians but put on such a boring show.
    And the Worst for me .... just a few years ago at the Palladium in Carmel... Bruce Hornsby. You know I absolutely can understand an artist getting tired of playing the same song everyday and needing to change things up and re-invent once in a while. But for this particular (solo) concert he changed EVERY song. He had that I'm too cool for school vibe. Eh, excuse me Bruce, yeah that's interesting and all but there is a reason you had some hits, and it's not because you're going off on some other journey in your mind.

Funny memory... Bob Seger band probably 77/78? This is before metal detectors and getting the wand. I was near the front of the stage and watched a guy pull out a pistol (thought I was going to **** my pants for a second) and remove a bullet. The guy yells Silver Bullet band, points at Alto Reed the sax player and says this is for you. Reed leans down for the guy to hand it to him and has this nervous smile but plays along. Don't think I'll ever see something like that ever again.
    Last edited by RWB; 01-21-2016 at 10:53 AM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Saw the The Eagle's the last time they were at the Fieldhouse. Huge Eagles fan over the years, they are in my top 5 all time. I loved they played a lot of Glen's, Don Henleys' and Joe Walsh's great solo songs.

I need to buy their last Concert BluRay. Edit: just ordered "Farewell Live From Melbourne Blu-ray" on Amazon.

My favorite Music BluRay is AC/DC: Live At Donington. Possibly the greatest live concert recording of all time.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    My favorite Music BluRay is AC/DC: Live At Donington. Possibly the greatest live concert recording of all time.
    That's a good one. Funny thing is I have AC/DC's No Bull blu-ray and it is absolutely the worst (not because of the concert performance) video transfer I've ever seen. It really looks like someone took a VHS copy and burnt it onto a DVD-R and then tried to max out the recording time on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    Saw the The Eagle's the last time they were at the Fieldhouse. Huge Eagles fan over the years, they are in my top 5 all time. I loved they played a lot of Glen's, Don Henleys' and Joe Walsh's great solo songs.

I need to buy their last Concert BluRay. Edit: just ordered "Farewell Live From Melbourne Blu-ray" on Amazon.

Are the vocals good too? Every concert clip I've ever seen of AC/DC, the vocals a la Brian Johnson seem to be the weakest link.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Now this thread has me thinking of great concert memories. Not only that but I'm a lover of movies and music but when I hear a song it always takes me back to a certain place and time of my life. Movies have never done that.

So.... since I'm a full fledged AARP participant (to put things age wise into perspective) my memories are on older bands and impressions that were left. Of course mileage is going to vary as these were my personal experiences.

Best show for me personally..... Alice Cooper Lace and Whiskey tour!!! Cooper never did have the magical voice but his shows were so much fun. Between machine-gun toting chickens, the one eyed Cyclops carrying him around, and spiders climbing cargo netting around the arena it was such a blast.

Close to the worst.... Genesis... they are/were great musicians but put on such a boring show.
    And the Worst for me .... just a few years ago at the Palladium in Carmel... Bruce Hornsby. You know I absolutely can understand an artist getting tired of playing the same song everyday and needing to change things up and re-invent once in a while. But for this particular (solo) concert he changed EVERY song. He had that I'm too cool for school vibe. Eh, excuse me Bruce, yeah that's interesting and all but there is a reason you had some hits, and it's not because you're going off on some other journey in your mind.

Funny memory... Bob Seger band probably 77/78? This is before metal detectors and getting the wand. I was near the front of the stage and watched a guy pull out a pistol (thought I was going to **** my pants for a second) and remove a bullet. The guy yells Silver Bullet band, points at Alto Reed the sax player and says this is for you. Reed leans down for the guy to hand it to him and has this nervous smile but plays along. Don't think I'll ever see something like that ever again.
    Lot's of memory's, some very clouded :-D, I've been to tons of concerts over the years.

AD/DC, Def Leppard, The Eagles, Bob Seger, The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Bruce Springsteen, Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top, John Mellencamp, Guns N' Roses, Pat Benatar, Journey, Kiss, Foreigner, Billy Squier, Charlie Daniels, Loverboy, Prince. I know there are some others, can't think of them right now, or maybe don't remember being there ;-).

Concerts at Market Square Arena were the freaking best, smoke so thick you could get a contact high, sound was awesome in there as well. I don't care as much for outdoor concerts. The most weed I ever saw at or passed around at a concert was Charlie Daniels Full Moon Tour, believe it or not.

AC/DC is my favorite Band of all time, saw them around 5 times all the way back to the Back-in-Black tour, up until their last one at the Fieldhouse.

The Last Eagles concert was so good. You can't believe how good they sound live, just unreal.

Huge Bob Seger Fan, last one at the Fieldhouse was awesome.

Wasn't a huge Bruce Stringsteen fan before seeing him in concert, he puts on one hell of a show. Played for like 2 hours took a break and played 2+ more.

I like Prince, but that was the worst concert I've been to, Purple Rain Tour, great Album though. They stretched every song out for what seemed like a half hour, got boring. The scenery was nice though, lot's of hot young girls in lingerie all over the place.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"