Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grading the Deal: Dahntay Jones

Default Grading the Deal: Dahntay Jones

http://pacers.realgm.com/articles/17...rs_land_jones/

With just $8 million to spend this offseason, the Pacers have added an above-average defender to their rotation for a fraction of what many believed he would get on the free agent market.

The Pacers agreed to terms with guard Dahntay Jones on a four-year, $11 million deal late Wednesday night.

Jones started 71 games for the Nuggets, a team that advanced all the way to the Western Conference Finals, last season. He is a defensive-minded wing player, which essentially kills two birds with one stone for Indiana.

The fact has been beaten to death -- by myself and many others that cover the Pacers -- but the club has been horrible defensively in recent seasons. Jones averaged just 5.4 points and 2.1 rebounds in 18.0 minutes per game for Denver last season, but itís his ability to defend that intrigued president Larry Bird and general manager David Morway.

In addition to fortifying Indianaís defense, Jones adds depth on the wing.

Mike Dunleavy isnít expected to return until 2010, and the Pacers are now expected to let Marquis Daniels and Stephen Graham leave as free agents.

I anticipated that the Pacers would explore re-signing Daniels to a long-term contract after they declined his expensive option for the 2009-10 season, but they obviously felt as though Jones was a better option. That doesnít mean they didnít negotiate with Daniels, but itís doubtful they would have been able to lock up Quisy to the price they paid for Dahntay.

Opting to sign Jones makes sense for a club that has no problem scoring. He wonít need the ball in his hands to make a difference, something that canít be said for many players on Indianaís roster. Daniels, while lacking deep range, is a better offensive player, but Jones could be considered more athletic at this point, especially with the knee issues the former has dealt with recently.

Mike Wells of the Indianapolis Star has reported that the first year of Jonesí deal is worth about $2.7 million, which means the Pacers still have roughly $3.4 million of their mid-level exception to use on a free agent, in addition to their $1.9 million bi-annual exception.

The agreement, which is expected to be finalized with a signed contract early next week, isnít going to make a huge splash anywhere. It was a minor detail on Sportscenter, but perfectly fits with what Bird and Morway are trying to accomplish in Indiana.

Grade for Pacers: B+

Jones isnít the type of player that is going to stuff that stat sheet, but he will help complete a team. The Pacers arenít whole yet, but the front office has continued to keep their eyes on the plan. Drafting Tyler Hansbrough was the first phase this offseason, but Jones is far from the last.
    As I've said before, Bird and Morway are quietly putting together a good TEAM. If healthy the Pacers are going to be a pretty pleasant surprise in the league next year

Default Re: Grading the Deal: Dahntay Jones

of course, the flip side would be Hollinger calling the deal Dahntay got "ridiculous."

I am in between. I love the pick up, but don't like the money.

I am completely opposite on this deal from Hollinger. I love it and think about everything is perfect for it. Jones will have a big impact on the team even if it isn't in the stat sheet. Hopefully he can be the Pacers' Bruce Bowen.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think it's a good deal. I don't really think we should have locked him up for more than 3 years, but his contract should be fairly easy to move if it comes to that.

Still have a lot of holes to fill, though.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Travis Heath: Hoopsworld

Look, I'm a huge fan of Dahntay Jones the player and the person. I spent as much time hanging out and talking with him last year as I did any other player in Denver's locker room. I think you can definitely make an argument that he's worth $2.75 million. From Denver's perspective, though, giving him $2.75 million was a tough call. I can see why they decided to move in another direction given their broader financial picture. There's no question Dahntay is a very good, phsyical defender. He's also a tremendous athlete and will dunk on cats much bigger than him.

However, the one huge knock is that he can't hit an outside shot. Fortunately, he doesn't shoot too many three's because he understands his limitations. The problem with that, though, is opposing teams won't cover him on the perimeter which just allows his defender to roam. That's the Lakers did with Kobe in the WCF whenever Dahntay was in the game. The one other thing that I think has people approaching with caution is that Dahntay has had now basically one good year in the NBA. People, I think, are wondering if he was a one-year wonder or not.

I hope he finds all kinds of success in Indiana. I love the dude.

Not to bad I think
    Because the streets is a short stop
    Either youre slingin crack rock or you got a wicked jumpshot

Notorious BIG - Brooklyn's Finest A.K.A. G.O.A.T.

Quote Originally Posted by PugdOut View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not to bad I think
    It was me who asked Travis Heath that question!

I suspect that as summer wears on, this deal will look much worse.

for example, channing frye signed for the 1.9m biannual exception. Soft or not, a stretch 4 for 1.9m is a pretty nice deal. My point in thinking this deal was poor, or that bargani or kidd or gordon or whomever is simply the point that with money so scarce, overpaying doesn't make much sense-unless you really believe a certain player pushes you so far over the top that your club wouldn't survive a miss on the player.

Sounds like job security for Billy Keller to me.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I think it's a good deal. I don't really think we should have locked him up for more than 3 years, but his contract should be fairly easy to move if it comes to that.

Still have a lot of holes to fill, though.
    4 years may have been the cost for him to consider Indiana and sign as quickly as he did...
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

The Pacers needed some toughness and athleticism even though this need was greater in the front court. He will help slow penetration and help our bigs defend the paint by taking one player out of the mix. He will keep Brandon and Granger fresh to put up big numbers. It's a team game. He is a very good piece to have available.

It's pretty clear that Pacer management's primary goal is to return to the playoffs rather than build a contender necessarily. They are acquiring older players who will be able to help right now. It's a plan that should work, and I expect us to finally get some post-season action this coming year.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

He reminds me of Stephen Graham only better and will make the better SF backup that we need. He's very athletic and quick to drive to the basket. After watching highlights of him, I'm very excited to have him on our team for a few years.

I think I am fundamentally opposed to the FOs thinking. I have no doubt we will be slightly above average and a better team next year. My problem is that we simmply are not moving any closer to winning a CHAMPIONSHIP and in fact with some of these moves may be backtracking. You win with superior talent we are collecting average pieces.
    I think we will make the playoffs and then promptly get knocked out in the first round. I guess if that is what they are after- way to go-mission accomplished. I want more.

Dumb signing-not because I do not like the kid or think that we will be a better team for it, I just believe we should be going in another direction. I do believe we spent to much on Jones.
    Last edited by bdcbdc7; 07-11-2009 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyMurphy3 View Post
    He reminds me of Stephen Graham
    In what way is he like Stephen Graham? How are their skillsets similar?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by bdcbdc7 View Post
    I just believe we should be going in another direction.
    Given the current roster and financial situation, just what direction would you take ??

Do people just not understand that the Pacers can't make a trade for Kobe or Lebron ?? Sure, it's easy to say things, but back it up with something.

Great Pickup. Defense has been a huge weakness and the Pacers just signed a Guy who's primarilary known as a defender.
    OH YEAH WE GOT TYLER HANSBROUGH!!!! WAIT A MINUTE....IM A DUKE FAN

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Given the current roster and financial situation, just what direction would you take ??

Do people just not understand that the Pacers can't make a trade for Kobe or Lebron ?? Sure, it's easy to say things, but back it up with something.
    And it's not like our lottery history is littered with diamonds, either.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

I think I am fundamentally opposed to the FOs thinking. I have no doubt we will be slightly above average and a better team next year. My problem is that we simmply are not moving any closer to winning a CHAMPIONSHIP and in fact with some of these moves may be backtracking. You win with superior talent we are collecting average pieces.
    I think we will make the playoffs and then promptly get knocked out in the first round. I guess if that is what they are after- way to go-mission accomplished. I want more.

Dumb signing-not because I do not like the kid or think that we will be a better team for it, I just believe we should be going in another direction. I do believe we spent to much on Jones.

So, what would you have done? It's easy to sit and criticize without telling us how you would have done it. Roll it out there, I wanna hear how you are a better GM.

What does bdcbdc do to get us closer to a CHAMPIONSHIP with the situation that Bird was handed 18 months ago?
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post

So, what would you have done? It's easy to sit and criticize without telling us how you would have done it. Roll it out there, I wanna hear how you are a better GM.

What does bdcbdc do to get us closer to a CHAMPIONSHIP with the situation that Bird was handed 18 months ago?

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post

Haven't you guys watched Star Wars before? Ge'ez.

He'd just use the 'jedi mind trick' to get people to do things they'd never normally do. Obviously Bird doesn't use the force .... even though he's only a couple wrinkles away from looking like Emperor Palpatine.

-- Steve --

Mood

I like the signing a lot. Even if Jones turns out to be terrible it is not like his salary will handicap us too bad, so in essence the risk isn't that severe. Also, Jones' weakness is his jumpshot. this is something that can be worked on and improved upon. Many players have made drastic improvements with their shots throughout their years in the NBA, and their is no reason Jones can't follow suite. If all the guy gives us is some solid defense and a guy that opponents at least have to guard on offense he will earn his money.

Any upgrade to the defense is cool with me....especially somebody who is known to get in your head when he defends you but not to the point where its dirty.
    And the walls came tumbling down.....

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post

Exactly! This isn't a Magic show.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    In what way is he like Stephen Graham? How are their skillsets similar?
    How they are able to drive from the arc to the paint. That's about it as far as similar skills go.

B+ is exactly what I'd give this deal... cool.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Sports Logo

Not to jump on you too....just so that you can help clarify your position......what direction did you want the Pacers to take?

The direction that Bird took was clear......and something that many of us have been harping on....and praying that we'd finally do....get more defensive minded role-players at the GF spot.

If we didn't spend the $$ on a Defensive minded role-player like Jones, what type of player/position would you have spent the $$$ on?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.