Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Bird Looking like a Genius?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Is Bird Looking like a Genius?

With the free agent signing of Dahntay Jones, Larry is has made his first move in this game of free agency. While others are completely overplaying their free agents, (see Toronto, Cleveland) Larry had played it brilliantly by signing the gems. No matter what anybody says about Larry, you have to admit, he has an eye for talent. He turned Bayless into Mcbob, Rush, and JJ. Drafted Hib and Psycho T, and price may turn out to be decent. Diener was a good pickup for this team, and now this recent signing. Bird is really going to look like a genius in a few years when all the other teams are struggling to get under luxury tax, we will be absolutely fine! I'm so glad to have larry as Prez.
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

Default Re: Is Bird Looking like a Genius?

No. He's stayed largely out of the free agent frenzy because he has to. Jones is a solid signing but it's highly doubtful to turn us into a contender. What he looks like is a man with a plan. If we end up in the playoffs next year with a good eye to the future, yes, then he will "look like a genius."

Right now? He looks like the hick from french lick.

Sports Logo

The Pacers FO is being very deliberate and careful when it comes to signing/drafting Players ( as Chad Ford alluded to...making the "safe moves" by going for "singles or doubles" as opposed to making more riskier moves ). As Ozwalt72 suggested....I think that many of these moves were made mainly because we have little to no choice given our SalaryCap situation for the next 2 years....we can only afford to make low-risk/medium-reward type moves.

The fact that these moves appear to be solid ones ( drafting BRush/Hibbert/TH and signing Jones ) that make Bird look like a "Genius" is IMHO coincidence.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Jones will be a good pick-up, but I don't think Bird has a long enough, or even proven enough track record to be viewed as a "genius" as a GM. Making the playoffs under his leadership will be a start.

Mood

I find it hard to believe anyone thinks Bird is doing well. I don't know why he still has a job here.

I don't know if "genius" is the proper word, but since taking over last year he has at least laid a solid foundation for the future. I certainly wouldn't call him "stupid", that's for sure. He's made an awful lot of changes in just over a year, and I happen to think all of them are solid. Most importantly, he seems to have a VISION (getting high character guys, many of them winners in college).

This franchise/team was a complete mess. The task of rebuilding it would have been hard for a seasoned GM, let alone someone like Bird who just got the keys to the car 14 months ago.

I think he's performed very well so far. He's certainly bought himself quite a bit of time, IMO.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 07-09-2009 at 02:06 AM.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I find it hard to believe anyone thinks Bird is doing well. I don't know why he still has a job here.
    i find it hard to believe that wasnt sarcastic
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IndyProdigy For This Useful Post:

It's a very solid signing, but getting someone like Dahntay Jones has never made any executive a basketball genius.

Here are examples of genius:

-Dumars turning a draft bust (Rodney White) into a 1st round pick, and flipping that for Rasheed Wallace.

-The NJ Nets turning Stephon Marbury into Jason Kidd.

-The Suns clearing cap space and signing Steve Nash.

Jones is a very solid signing with little or no downside. You just can't put it in the category of genius.

How could you say that...its not like Bird has $30 million to shop around or even assets to trade. If you were in Birds shoes what would you have done different. Its not like we're going to be contenders next season.

I think you will eat your word in summer of 2011
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

Genius? Dunno about that...
    But this team was such a PR disaster not so long ago that it should serve us all well to take a moment to reflect on how far we've come from that period of time (in such a short period of time after moving on from the previous ways of our former hierarchy).

That PR mess was going nowhere.

Larry, Morway, et all deserve our thanks for finally addressing that issue and getting us past all of that. Now we can continue to develop the vision, see it thru, and see some light at the end of the tunnel.

If nothing else, we at least have a foundation again in which to build upon.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

14. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

He'll be a Genius when he brings a Trophy to Conseco Fieldhouse

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GO!!!!! For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll reserve the genius label but he's made some good moves...looking forward to next year.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Genius? If Jones makes the All-star team, then yes. Otherwise, no, this isnt a genius type move. But very hard for it to blow up in your face either. He isnt likely going to look like a goofball down the road, because he isnt signing someone to a 50million dollar deal that very well could become a big waste.

woman without a team

I'll call Larry a genius when he finds a way to get rid of Tinsley.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to grace For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    How could you say that...its not like Bird has $30 million to shop around or even assets to trade. If you were in Birds shoes what would you have done different. Its not like we're going to be contenders next season.

I think you will eat your word in summer of 2011
    It is hard to say what I would have done differently. I am not privy to those conversations.

I know he doesn't have "$30 million to shop around or even assets to trade". That is a very poor defense for Bird, and also one of the reasons he has done so poorly. The Murphlevy trade put us into cap hell. Resigning Foster was another head scratcher. I have a hard time finding fault with his draft choices to far. Those are always a roll of the dice, but we should have been picking higher in the draft these past years.

Bird doesn't want to rebuild, he wants to reload. The problem is, the bullets he is reloading with are duds. It is hard to imagine us being better than mediocre for years to come. The attitudes have changed, but the talent has not. When the original poster says the third string pg was "a good pick up for this team" is evidence enough for what we are doing. We need some starters, not more bench players. Depth and mediocrity are two different things.

I guess that I really just question his vision for where this team is going.

Well, given everything, what would your plans be ??

Some people just don't understand what this organization has been thru.

Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    Genius? If Jones makes the All-star team, then yes. Otherwise, no, this isnt a genius type move. But very hard for it to blow up in your face either. He isnt likely going to look like a goofball down the road, because he isnt signing someone to a 50million dollar deal that very well could become a big waste.
    I don't think the original poster was suggesting that the signing of Jones alone made Bird a genius, nor do I think he actually feels Jones is even going to start for Indiana. His point concerning Jones was that Bird got a solid free agent whom he didn't overpay for.

Umm, it's Dahntay Jones. Bird is just doing his job.

He's got a ALOT of tough, important judgement calls/decisions to
    make over the next 18 months or so (wether to keep O'B, the 2010
    1st rounder in what will likely be a quality, PF prospect heavy draft,
    multiple soon to expire contracts, etc). Let's see how all that goes
    down before we start putting a crown on his head.

Genius? LOL No. Come on now.

We need some starters, not more bench players. Depth and mediocrity are two different things.

I totally agree. I heard that Kobe was going to decline his option and sign here, but Larry wouldn't answer the phone.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacers For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post

I don't know if I'll go that far, but it would be however a tremendous accomplishment that I'd at least be willing to nominate him for Executive of the Year award.

I must say that I was not at all complimentary to LB when he was chosen to take over for DW, but his moves have been solid considering our financial position, draft position and the location of our franchise. His trend of drafting solid, mature 3-4 year players from good programs and strong championship pedigrees might become more of a trend...I mean, logic tells you that (with rare exceptions KG, Kobe, etc) that if you throw millions in front of an 18 year old, that that gives one a lot less incentive to work on their game (Kwame, etc).
    The question though is this, will Larry be able to put us into the position of contending for a championship...or will our team be well-managed financially, display lots of hustle, but in the end just be perennial 'also-rans' (good enough to secure the #5-8 playoff spot, but always lacking the big name star to get us over hump).

I don't see how you can question his vision of where the team is going. At least he a plan and a direction, what was Walsh's plan besides being in the playoffs every year and overpaying players?

What do you expect out of a #52 pick other than hoping he makes the team as a role player?

You admit Bird doesn't have the money to work with, but yet you expect better results. He's doing an admirable job yet you want him to be a magician and pull top quality players out of a hat. He can't really do much with the contracts of Murphy, Dun, Ford, Foster, but you expect him to be rebuilding with what? Not to mention ownership is losing money and isn't going to "give" him any extra $$$ to work with. If you call it nothing more than reloading, tell us how he's suppose to rebuild with his hands tied? He understands this and has a plan which he's working. What more do YOU expect?

Someone quick pinch me, throw water in my face, or wake me up. It has to be a dream... I'M DEFENDING BIRD!!!

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Hell, I'd call him a SAINT!

Banned

/thread