Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bringing Stars to Indiana...

Default Re: Bringing Stars to Indiana...

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really!?!?

You want to name a player that has signed a 8 year contract?
    Here are some:

As expected, Grant Hill signed a $45 million, 8 year contract
    with Detroit.
    Minnesota signed their 1st round draft pick Donyell Marshall
    to a rumoredly $42 million, 9 year contract.

The Dallas Mavericks have signed their first round draft pick,Jason
    Kidd, to a 9 year deal worth rumoredly a little under $60 million.

But before you go off the deep end.

NBA Players Association

Section 1. Maximum Term.
    Except where a shorter term is expressly provided for elsewhere in this Agreement, a Player Contract entered into after the date of this Agreement may cover, in the aggregate, up to but no more than five (5) Seasons (including any Season covered by an Option) from the date such Contract is signed; provided, however, that (a) a Player Contract between a Qualifying Veteran Free Agent and his Prior Team may cover, in the aggregate, up to but no more than six (6) Seasons (including any Season covered by an Option) from the date such Contract is signed, and (b) an Extension of a Rookie Scale Contract may cover, in the aggregate, up to but no more than six (6) Seasons (including any Season covered by an Option) from the date such extension is signed.
    Pacer Fan equals real fan Lakers fan equals bangwagon fan.

When an NBA player leaves, he's looking for the following:

1. To get paid -- Let's face it, most players will follow the money. Sure, if they have come off of a huge contract, they're willing to chase a ring for less money, but this is at the top of the list.

2. City that is attractive to him. A lot of players like Florida, Arizona, Texas and California for weather reasons as who wants to be in a blizzard in January? But for some players, a City like NYC carries some excitement. Other cities like Chicago, Atlanta and Boston are large metro areas with a lot of opportunities off of the court.

The other thing that comes into play are States without state income tax. For example, Florida, Tennessee and Texas are a few states with several teams, a relatively low cost of living and no state income taxes. What does this mean for a player? Assume you're a guy who makes 10 million a year and assume you play for the Pacers and pay 3.2% state income tax in Indiana for 41 games (10 million/2= 5 million x .032) =160k yearly that you must pay out in more taxes vs playing for a non-state income tax state

3. Winning environment. Players want to win a ring and be in the spotlight. We see players chase rings every year by going to LA, San Antonio, etc. This is certainly important, but I think it depends on the stage of the player

I don't know if Danny will lure any free agents to Indy, other than those 2nd or 3rd tier guys. If this were 1999, it might be a different story. But he doesn't have the drawing power of a guy like LeBron or Kobe in attracting free agents.

Barkley was on TNT or NBC years ago as a player after his team had been eliminated from the playoffs and he was interviewed and they asked where he wanted to play and he mentioned Indiana. This started a frenzy as the Pacers were being named as potential suitors for Sir Charles.

Ironically enough, Rodman was on Jay Leno back when Isiah was the coach and also mentioned he wanted to play in Indy as well. There were also the talks that Chris Webber wanted to come to Indiana because of Isiah too. Obviously none of the player ever came to town other than as an opponent on another team or for other visits. But I can't ever recall a big time free agent wanting to come to Indiana.

Quote Originally Posted by jhondog28 View Post
    So would you consider Danny a star player? Or are you talking about someone like Chris Paul caliber? The only reason I say that is if Danny Granger is considered a star then he has not filled the seats. Sorry I am not trying to be devils advocate but watching the games on TV from Texas kind of has me worried about the lack of fans in the stands.
    I understand where your coming from, but i think your slightly off. Everyone knows danny is a tier 1 NBA player. the sky is the limit for him. but he himself cant do it alone. the pacers are still 1 or 2 pieces away from getting more wins in the record and more fans in the seats.

The seats at conseco wont be filled to watch danny play just to see the team win 36 games in the season. why come to the games when you know the team is gonna be mediocre, when most of the people living in central indiana can watch the game for free on their own comfortable couch if all they are interested in is watching danny become a star.

Basically, the team HAS to put up more than 36 wins in a season, to do ANYTHING whatsoever. which we will. the pieces we have in place now are making strides.
    Last edited by IndyProdigy; 07-09-2009 at 02:31 AM.
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Has everyone already forgotten about Carlos Rogers???

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They also make A LOT of money during the playoffs. While someone like Brown may have gotten a better offer from us it'd would have to be significantly higher because with the Lakers, Brown could pretty much expect at least 2 playoff series.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think championship teams are built via trades and the draft, and that free agency is the trap that leads to many would be contenders falling on their faces.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    We probably will have to overpay to get the big names here, but money talks...and everyone has a price. Luckily for us, free agency isn't how you build a successful team.
    We have one of the best gyms in the NBA, we have Larry Legend, we have a strong supporting cast coming together with the Pacers, and most national media and players are very impressed when they come to Indy for sports events, like the NCAA tournamnent. Indy has a good reputation around the country among college and pro players...most want to stay here when they play here...the word gets around the league that this is a good basketball town.

It's just the negative fans in Indy.....I've never seen so many negative people as there seems to be around this area. Why would a player dislike playing in Indy more than playing in God awful cities like Cleveland, Milwaukee, Detroit, or Philly, to name just a few?
    Last edited by NashvilleKat; 07-09-2009 at 04:39 PM.

Holy crap Milwakee? I would rather team up with Troy Murphy and Mike Dunleavy in Harlem than play there.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jhondog28 View Post
    Here is a question I wanted to run by you guys. With attendance being so low over the past couple seasons do you think star players notice that and would refuse to play in a city that shows little support at least in the arena for their team? I know the economy is bad and the team has not made the playoffs for a couple seasons, but lets say that the Pacers are a middle of the road playoff team but the attendance does not dramatically increase do you think the free agent stars would say " Man I am not going to play there because there is no one in the stands." I know it is an off the wall question, but the Shannon Brown situation got me thinking about why he turned down more money to stay in LA and I thought maybe because it was LA and they sell out every single game. Would love to hear from you guys.
    Having fans in the stands dictates what a team can offer a player. From Shannon Brown's perspective (if it is true that the Pacers made a higher offer on him, which I'm inclined to doubt) signing with a contender like the Lakers for less money might acutally translate into earning more money than had he signed a larger contract with a fringe team.

OKAY, that sounds very confusing, but think of it like this:

[1] Players look for good teams BECAUSE a player can make extra money by participating in a playoff run. [2] Players look for marketable teams BECAUSE they get national exposure, thus increasing their value and jersey sales. I.E., more time on ABC means more personal marketablity and notarity. I.E., playing for L.A., instead of Memphis means getting more coverage on Sportcenter.