Thread: Idea: Fred Jones as backup point guard?

Default Idea: Fred Jones as backup point guard?

Lets face it, we are in all likely hood getting an upgrade at 2 moving Reggie to backup. So where does that leave Jones?

So why not have him as the backup 1?

Re-Sign Anthony Johnson [Or another veteran.] just to be sure we have someone incase Jones doesn't work out.

Do you guys think he can play the point?

Default Re: Idea: Fred Jones as backup point guard?

I think we would all be happy to see Freddie get some run at point. Well, maybe except for those who think he should start at the 2.
    ---
    I like shooting guards that can shoot.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we would all be happy to see Freddie get some run at point. Well, maybe except for those who think he should start at the 2.
    ---
    I like shooting guards that can shoot.
    Oh please. He should start at 2.

Better than a certain...oh...NONpacer...
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I would ot have a problem with Fred getting spot minutes as backup point. But I woud not want him to be the second string point guard.

I've been advocating this for a while.

Jones is a better distributer than Anthony Johnson. He's better on offense and better on defense. He doesn't have the "veteran savvy" but he won't get it without some burn.

We'd probably be better with AJ early in the season. But with a season of consistent playing time, I think Freddy would be the superior player by the time the playoffs roll around.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been advocating this for a while.

Jones is a better distributer than Anthony Johnson. He's better on offense and better on defense. He doesn't have the "veteran savvy" but he won't get it without some burn.

We'd probably be better with AJ early in the season. But with a season of consistent playing time, I think Freddy would be the superior player by the time the playoffs roll around.
    You could be right.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

i like the idea. fred jones as 3rd guard off the bench. the ideal of a "combo" guard

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think your idea is original.

Freddie got a few minutes last season as a PG.

I believe that being able to play both positions is exactly what Carlisle has in mind.

Banned

I'm confused as to why people think he didn't play point last year a lot. Almost every time they came down the floor on offense, especially when he was in the game with AJ, Freddie swung into the key, then popped up to the top of the circle to receive a pass. From there, he almost ALWAYS initiated the offense. Of all the Pacers guards last season, I thought he was the BEST at initiating because of his ability to penetrate and draw the defense to him so that he could hit an open player under the hoop or at the 3 line.

I don't think the Pacers' positioned are so tightly defined that they say "You are a 2, so you have to shoot a lot, and You are a 1, so you have to bring the ball up the floor and pass it."

Within the Pacers offensive system, I don't think it matters a lot who is the No. 1, and who is the No. 2. The more important matter is "which two guys are on the floor". I believe the No. 1 and No. 2 designation is more applicable to the defensive end of the floor....which guy are you going to be matched up with.

Well, Tinsley did a better job of initiating the offense. But Freddy was #2.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!