Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Wells> Hansbrough makes impression

  1. #1
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,051

    Default Wells> Hansbrough makes impression

    http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...kes+impression
    Hansbrough makes impression


    By Mike Wells
    Posted: July 6, 2009

    Contagious work ethic. Relentless. Tenacious.

    It has only been a few days and he has yet to go against any of his veteran teammates in practice, but Indiana Pacers rookie Tyler Hansbrough has already made his presence felt.

    Hansbrough, the No. 13 pick in last month's draft, displayed the same qualities that made him an All-American at the University of North Carolina during the Pacers' four-day rookie/free agent camp.

    "I knew what we were getting when we drafted him," Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said. "His work ethic is contagious. He just pursues the basketball and never gives up on a play. He can just put the ball in the basket because he knows how to make stuff happen.

    "He plays with a great deal of passion. That's why he's a four-time All-American."

    Hansbrough used the camp to adjust to O'Brien's coaching style. He said one of the biggest adjustments has been playing around the foul line, which is where the big men play in O'Brien's pass-oriented offense.

    O'Brien recently pulled aside Hansbrough and fellow rookie A.J. Price and told them it's OK if they don't know something because they're "not supposed to know everything" as rookies.

    "It's been a long learning process for me," Hansbrough said. "Getting a feel for what the Pacers like to do offensively and defensively."

    Hansbrough will get his first game action today when the Pacers start their five-day summer league in Orlando, Fla.

    The Pacers found out early Hansbrough means business once he steps on the court. No laughing. No joking. No small talk. Just basketball.

    "I haven't seen him smile yet," guard Brandon Rush said, smiling. "He's so quiet. He cussed for the first time (Sunday), so that's a sign of him opening up. He's completely serious when he's out there. He gives 100 percent every time he plays. He's like the Energizer bunny. He's going to be a good addition for us."

    Hansbrough's energy will make the Pacers' practices more competitive.

    "He's really aggressive," center Roy Hibbert said. "He pursues the ball relentlessly. That brings the best out of us. If a rookie can come in here and do that it can help the team out as much as possible.

    "We'll see how he is when we're 60 games into the season. As of right now, though, he's doing real good and making his presence felt."

    Rush and Hibbert said they don't believe the notion that Hansbrough isn't athletic. They said their new teammate tried to dunk every time he got the ball near the basket.

    "He's definitely athletic," Hibbert said. "The first day he was dunking everything. After like seven hours of practice his legs gave out a little bit. He goes after the boards and he's just not letting the ball hit the ground. He can shoot, too. People will see what Tyler has to offer soon enough."
    --------------------------------

    I'm thinking we got a steal in Hansbrough. We're see.

  2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,832

    Default Re: Wells> Hansbrough makes impression

    I like Roy's comment about seeing how he is doing at 60 games in. But other than that so far so good.

    I have no bias one way or the other for Hansbrough other than right now he is a Pacer. So with that in mind I hope he is great.

    However I know that people I respect (Seth, TBird, etc.) were downright depressed at the draft party. I wanted to make sure that there were no sharp objects around Seth and that a net would be available to cover the jumping from off of the building.

    There was no hatred or cursing (well other than from Gnome) but downright depression.

    Jose on the other hand was giddy as a school girl and to his credit he called that draft pick to the T. In fact he came up to me about 10 min. before our pick and said "can you say Hansbrough"?

    I just hope he is a differant type of player than either Murphy or Hibbert. We need some form of physical presence.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  5. #3

    Default Re: Wells> Hansbrough makes impression

    I have to say that I'm warming up to TH. I was at the draft party and was fuming that we didn't get Brandon Jennings, but I really think that even had we had that 10th pick Bird would have picked TH.
    One of the biggest things I think we lost when Ron-Ron was traded was the effort/intensity and when I read MW article I recalled the advice he gave Danny Granger as a rookie "don't take plays off". This doesn't sound like it will happen with TH and I don't think you can discount the value it will have on the psyche of the team, in games and in practices. Roy is exactly right, if a rookie brings it like this, it will be contagious. Plus after reading the draft combine reports and the in-person assessment of both Rush and Hibbert that TH is much more athletic than was reported, maybe he will turn out to be an incredible steal.
    Not saying he is like Larry, because Larry was an incredible shooter and passer, but I wonder if anyone has found a draft report/assessment on him coming out of Indiana State in 1978...would be an interesting read if anyone knew how to find one. Wonder what Larry's true Ht/Standing reach/Wingspan was?

  6. #4

    Default Re: Wells> Hansbrough makes impression

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    However I know that people I respect (Seth, TBird, etc.) were downright depressed at the draft party ... There was no hatred or cursing (well other than from Gnome) but downright depression.
    I was so surprised by the wave of vitriol spewed forth right after we traded Bayless last year, I was almost as eager to see/hear the PD reaction to whomever we chose as I was to the actual player chosen. (That's partly why I was so distraught over the "server busy" signals on PD and DX throughout the entire evening.)

    Just as one insightful poster noted that we were romanced by the idea of (a perfectly developed & functioning) Blair instead of the actual player, I imagine that our collective reaction of depression had more to do with the idea of Hansbrough -- that we were condemning ourselves to plucky-but-overmatched mediocrity. The thread activity since the draft is encouraging in 1) giving Tyler a fresh start in evaluating his potential fit with and worth to the team, and 2) reminding us that no pick at #13 likely would have proven singularly much more valuable, and that our selection of him is part of a sequential process of the team's forward-moving return to contention.

    So let's be done with the moment of depression, embrace the virtue of patience, and look ahead with eager anticipation. Barring serious injuries, our team is going to get better, and Hansbrough will become an acknowledged part of that improvement.

    Now, where's my sunshine invitation?

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to DrFife For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,490

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Wells> Hansbrough makes impression

    My original stance on TH hasn't changed. It doesn't matter how many evaluations and positive reports I read about him. I watched the guy for four years in college. I know what I saw. My opinion won't be swayed until he hits the court. With that being said, I am rooting for him to be successful.

  9. #6
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: Wells> Hansbrough makes impression

    I think a lot of the depression was not because of Hans, but because everyone said "That's it?"

    If we'd kept Hans but made a good move involving Trophy or TJ, people would have been fine.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  10. #7

    Default Re: Wells> Hansbrough makes impression

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think a lot of the depression was not because of Hans, but because everyone said "That's it?"

    If we'd kept Hans but made a good move involving Trophy or TJ, people would have been fine.
    Agreed.

    Uh oh, maybe I'll fall back into depression if we don't make a trade of any kind before the season begins.

  11. #8
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,490

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Wells> Hansbrough makes impression

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think a lot of the depression was not because of Hans, but because everyone said "That's it?"

    If we'd kept Hans but made a good move involving Trophy or TJ, people would have been fine.
    No, for me, it was the fact that we drafted TH.

  12. #9
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Wells> Hansbrough makes impression

    I was fine with it. I thought for sure that Bird was going to select Ty Lawson or Jrue Holiday with that pick but when the dust settled, I was fine with the pick.

    After a few days I was actually happy and excited about Hansbrough. It's rare that you get the opportunity to select a 4-time All-American player who was the leading scorer and rebounder of his team all 4 years of his college career. I'm not comparing his game to any other player per se but just stating that no collegiate player has accomplished as much as Hansbrough did from AAU to winning 2 HS championships to winning the NCAA championship.

    I think one of the main reasons that people doubt him or discount his abilities is because a lot of people in Indiana don't like North Carolina's basketball team or the ACC as whole. It's sort of like how a lot of Hoosiers think Kobe is overrated because they can't stand the Lakers.

    Also, a lot of people feel (and I hope I'm not opening a can of worms) that white players that are dominant in college don't usually pan out well in the NBA. So I'm guessing that deep down most of the vitriol towards Hansbrough is personal.


    Anyway, I'm glad that he's on the Pacers squad and he's making a positive impression on his young teammates and coaching staff. I think he'll be starting over Murphy or getting the bulk of the 4th quarter minutes by January.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  13. #10
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,621

    Default Re: Wells> Hansbrough makes impression

    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he'll be starting over Murphy or getting the bulk of the 4th quarter minutes by January.
    Wow, that would be pretty amazing. It would take something pretty special for that to happen, imo, but I hope you are right.

  14. #11
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,490

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Wells> Hansbrough makes impression

    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was fine with it. I thought for sure that Bird was going to select Ty Lawson or Jrue Holiday with that pick but when the dust settled, I was fine with the pick.

    After a few days I was actually happy and excited about Hansbrough. It's rare that you get the opportunity to select a 4-time All-American player who was the leading scorer and rebounder of his team all 4 years of his college career. I'm not comparing his game to any other player per se but just stating that no collegiate player has accomplished as much as Hansbrough did from AAU to winning 2 HS championships to winning the NCAA championship.

    I think one of the main reasons that people doubt him or discount his abilities is because a lot of people in Indiana don't like North Carolina's basketball team or the ACC as whole. It's sort of like how a lot of Hoosiers think Kobe is overrated because they can't stand the Lakers.

    Also, a lot of people feel (and I hope I'm not opening a can of worms) that white players that are dominant in college don't usually pan out well in the NBA. So I'm guessing that deep down most of the vitriol towards Hansbrough is personal.


    Anyway, I'm glad that he's on the Pacers squad and he's making a positive impression on his young teammates and coaching staff. I think he'll be starting over Murphy or getting the bulk of the 4th quarter minutes by January.
    For me, that has absolutely nothing to do with it. I'm not even sure that's the case. I feel like most Hoosiers have a blasé attitude towards UNC and the ACC. If he went to Kentucky, then you may be onto something, but I still doubt it.

    It's not personal. It's not because he is white. The race card is played out, let's drop it.

    Unless Murphy is hurt or we are actively trying to tank, I can't see this being the case. He will be a rotation player, but he isn't going to steal a starting spot from Troy.

  15. #12
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,621

    Default Re: Wells> Hansbrough makes impression

    If somehow they feel Hansbrough is ready to take on that responsibility and Troy is healthy, I could see Troy being moved for next to nothing to open the door for the to happen.

    The reason I think that option could be available is that Troy will still be playing at a high level and I believe will only have a year and a half left on his contract. Correct me if it's longer.

  16. #13
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: Wells> Hansbrough makes impression

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If somehow they feel Hansbrough is ready to take on that responsibility and Troy is healthy, I could see Troy being moved for next to nothing to open the door for the to happen.
    I'd be open to moving Troy anyway. He's not part of the future, and we're not winning in the present. He's just taking up cap space, keeping us from making moves.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  17. #14
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Wells> Hansbrough makes impression

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    There was no hatred or cursing (well other than from Gnome) but downright depression.
    I think it was more or less the fact that we had to walk all the way across the floor into the Locker Room Restaurant for something other than Coors.

  18. #15
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,621

    Default Re: Wells> Hansbrough makes impression

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd be open to moving Troy anyway. He's not part of the future, and we're not winning in the present. He's just taking up cap space, keeping us from making moves.
    I guess Troy and Mike maybe a big piece of the 3 year plan in that you can move both of their expiring contracts when they are in the last year and pick up a high priced player. I wonder when those contracts start to become attractive? This Feb or next.

    Not to get off topic, but the Pacers will have 37.6 in expiring contract to offer up in a year and half at the Feb deadline between Murphy, Dun, Ford, and Foster.

    This isn't even counting Tinsleys 7.5, which I assume will be gone before then.

    That would allow the Pacers to be in the driver's seat in quite a few scenarios.
    Last edited by Speed; 07-06-2009 at 10:30 AM.

  19. #16

    Default Re: Wells> Hansbrough makes impression

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm thinking we got a steal in Hansbrough.
    I said as much on draft night...time will tell.

  20. #17
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,470

    Default Re: Wells> Hansbrough makes impression

    If his midrange game is ready to go then I think he will contribute right away.
    The rebounding and hustle is already there.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  21. #18
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Wells> Hansbrough makes impression

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For me, that has absolutely nothing to do with it. I'm not even sure that's the case. I feel like most Hoosiers have a blasé attitude towards UNC and the ACC. If he went to Kentucky, then you may be onto something, but I still doubt it.

    It's not personal. It's not because he is white. The race card is played out, let's drop it.
    Fair enough but you can only speak for yourself.

    I'm African-American by the way and I've had 2 of my friends, that just so happen to be white, bring up the issue of Hansbrough's race to me. So, I'm certainly not making it up. I'm glad you don't feel that way because neither do I.

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unless Murphy is hurt or we are actively trying to tank, I can't see this being the case. He will be a rotation player, but he isn't going to steal a starting spot from Troy.
    He may not steal his starting position but Murphy is so bad on defense that I think coach O'Brien will view him as an upgrade during the fourth quarter. Sort like the way Mark Jackson would start and Travis Best would finish for the Pacers back in 2000.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  22. #19

    Default Re: Wells> Hansbrough makes impression

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    The race card is played out, let's drop it.

    Thank you for saying it more politically correct than what my answer was going to be.


    It's the one thing that can make me lose it is the race comments. I watched 1 forum go down the tubes b/c of it. I NEVER look at the skin color of a player. I don't care what color they are. I'm only interested in what the can do for the PACERS as ALL SHOULD DO!!
    Last edited by Justin Tyme; 07-06-2009 at 11:08 AM.

  23. #20
    Member LG33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,927

    Default Re: Wells> Hansbrough makes impression

    Hansbrough used the camp to adjust to O'Brien's coaching style. He said one of the biggest adjustments has been playing around the foul line, which is where the big men play in O'Brien's pass-oriented offense.

    I noticed this a lot the past two years but it seems like something that we haven't really discussed at length on this forum - the face that Jeff Foster was defacto distributor last year (a fact made all too painfully clear by his memorable air ball buzzer beater). Is Hansbrough a better passer than McRoberts? Than Foster?

  24. #21
    Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,270
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Wells> Hansbrough makes impression

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hansbrough used the camp to adjust to O'Brien's coaching style. He said one of the biggest adjustments has been playing around the foul line, which is where the big men play in O'Brien's pass-oriented offense.

    I noticed this a lot the past two years but it seems like something that we haven't really discussed at length on this forum - the face that Jeff Foster was defacto distributor last year (a fact made all too painfully clear by his memorable air ball buzzer beater). Is Hansbrough a better passer than McRoberts? Than Foster?
    Probably not, but I bet he can hit that foul-line jumper better than the other two.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to mildlysane For This Useful Post:


  26. #22
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Wells> Hansbrough makes impression

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is Hansbrough a better passer than McRoberts? Than Foster?
    No, maybe.

  27. #23
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,988

    Default Re: Wells> Hansbrough makes impression

    Foster is a fairly good passer, Hibbert is also pretty good.

  28. #24

    Default Re: Wells> Hansbrough makes impression

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thank you for saying it more politically correct than what my answer was going to be.


    It's the one thing that can make me lose it is the race comments. I watched 1 forum go down the tubes b/c of it. I NEVER look at the skin color of a player. I don't care what color they are. I'm only interested in what the can do for the PACERS as ALL SHOULD DO!!
    Thanks...I don't give a flip about color. African-American BB players have been in general more skilled, hence what, 75% of the league is AA...but thats just a matter of it is what it is.

    I like Bill Murray's comment in the movie "Space Jam", when he, MJ and Bird are playing golf. Murray is asking Michael Jordan why he doesn't think he'll ever make it to the NBA...Murray says, "It's because I'm white, isn't it". To which Jordan replies, "Larry's white". Murray looks over at Bird, then says to Jordan, "Larry's not white, he's clear".

    Guess that's how I look at all BB players...'they're clear'.

  29. #25
    Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In the Washington DC area
    Posts
    4,324
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Wells> Hansbrough makes impression

    I don't see Tyler starting over Murph, who can hit the 3, which fits JOB's system very well.

    They're 2 very different kinds of players, one a vet, one a rook.

    They're both tremendous assets for the team at this time of rebuilding.

    We could very easily go small ball against some teams with Tyler at Center.

    I could see a team wanting Murph's shooting come the trade deadline, but he's a tremendous role player and could be here long term.

Similar Threads

  1. Tbird analysis: An in depth study of Tyler Hansbrough
    By thunderbird1245 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 05:34 PM
  2. The Five Stages Of Accepting Tyler Hansbrough
    By Peter_sixtyftsixin in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-28-2009, 07:19 AM
  3. Hansbrough Vs. Griffin Vs. Hill
    By 1984 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 05:17 PM
  4. Hansbrough a year ago.
    By RWB in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 03:12 PM
  5. Drafting Game 2 --- Make Your Franchise Selections Here!
    By Ultimate Frisbee in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 445
    Last Post: 10-09-2004, 09:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •