Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 134

Thread: Artest To Sign With Lakers

  1. #101
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Artest To Sign With Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's signing a guaranteed contract. What are they going to do, "Tinsley" him?
    If it came right down to it, yes. Or just pay him to go away.

  2. #102
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,561

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Artest To Sign With Lakers

    I've missed it....but how many years did Artest sign with the Lakers?

    Artest has a "No Return or Exchange after 1 Season" policy....
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  3. #103
    The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Disgusta, GA
    Posts
    8,829
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Artest To Sign With Lakers

    Looks like 3 years.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

  4. #104
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,233

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Artest To Sign With Lakers

    Just one more reason to hate the Lakers.

  5. #105
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Artest To Sign With Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just one more reason to hate the Lakers.
    As if I needed another one. Honestly, if Ron had stayed in Houston I wouldn't really care if he got his together and helped the Rockets win. Now that he's probably going to be a Laker I hope he implodes and takes Kobe, Phil, and Dr. Buss with him.

  6. #106
    Member Kuq_e_Zi91's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    2,305

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Artest To Sign With Lakers

    Here's what Kobe thinks about the chemistry questions raised because of the Artest signing.

    http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/20...e-of-kobe.html
    "Where is that concern coming from?'' Bryant asked. "Because he ran in the stands and kicked somebody's (butt)? You talk to anybody that played with him, he's a great teammate. He's never been a problem in the locker room. He had that one incident in Detroit, which was unfortunate. But outside of that, it's not a problem at all."
    I believe Kobe & Phil can keep Ron under control. When Ron steps on the court and sees Kobe and Pau there with him, I think he'll stay within the game plan. At the end of the day, Ron just wants to win. Taking bad shots and trying to do too much on his own would only hurt those chances. If he can just play his role, LA should benefit from this addition.

  7. #107
    You can call me Taz cinotimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,324

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Artest To Sign With Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by tbabyy924 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here's what Kobe thinks about the chemistry questions raised because of the Artest signing.

    http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/20...e-of-kobe.html


    I believe Kobe & Phil can keep Ron under control. When Ron steps on the court and sees Kobe and Pau there with him, I think he'll stay within the game plan. At the end of the day, Ron just wants to win. Taking bad shots and trying to do too much on his own would only hurt those chances. If he can just play his role, LA should benefit from this addition.
    Obviously Kobe and JO arent close.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:


  9. #108

    Default Re: Artest To Sign With Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by tbabyy924 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Where is that concern coming from?'' Bryant asked. "Because he ran in the stands and kicked somebody's (butt)? You talk to anybody that played with him, he's a great teammate. He's never been a problem in the locker room.
    Uh ..................

  10. #109
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Artest To Sign With Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Obviously Kobe and JO arent close.
    Ditto for Kobe and Croshere.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  11. #110

    Default Re: Artest To Sign With Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just one more reason to hate the Lakers.
    I'm hoping Odom signs elsewhere (e.g., with Portland):

    http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar..._negotiations/

  12. #111
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Artest To Sign With Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by tbabyy924 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At the end of the day, Ron just wants to win.
    And at the end of the next day, Ron just wants whatever is best for Ron.

    And at the end of the third day, Ron just wants to be paid.

    And at the end of the fourth day, Ron just wants to win.

    And at the end of the fifth day, Ron is furious at his teammates because they didn't practice hard enough for him.

    And at the end of the sixth day, Ron just wants to be paid.

    And at the end of the seventh day, Ron doesn't want to practice.

    And at the end of the eighth day, Ron just wants to win.

    And at the end of the ninth day, Ron's had problems away from the team and just wants to be left alone.

    And at the end of the tenth day, Ron just wants to be paid.

    And at the end of the eleventh day, Ron is not happy that he isn't getting enough "touches."

    And at the end of the twelfth day, Ron just wants to win.

    And at the end of the thirteenth day, Ron just wants to be paid.

    And at the end of the fourteenth day, Ron is mad at his teammates because they are loafing on defense.

    And at the end of the fifteenth day, Ron just wants to win.

    And at the end of the sixteenth day, Phil and Kobe are starting to figure out that Ron has a million different priorities, a million different voices in his head, and that when he's good, he's very, very good. And when he's not... destruction.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:


  14. #112
    You can call me Taz cinotimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,324

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Artest To Sign With Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And at the end of the next day, Ron just wants whatever is best for Ron.

    And at the end of the third day, Ron just wants to be paid.

    And at the end of the fourth day, Ron just wants to win.

    And at the end of the fifth day, Ron is furious at his teammates because they didn't practice hard enough for him.

    And at the end of the sixth day, Ron just wants to be paid.

    And at the end of the seventh day, Ron doesn't want to practice.

    And at the end of the eighth day, Ron just wants to win.

    And at the end of the ninth day, Ron's had problems away from the team and just wants to be left alone.

    And at the end of the tenth day, Ron just wants to be paid.

    And at the end of the eleventh day, Ron is not happy that he isn't getting enough "touches."

    And at the end of the twelfth day, Ron just wants to win.

    And at the end of the thirteenth day, Ron just wants to be paid.

    And at the end of the fourteenth day, Ron is mad at his teammates because they are loafing on defense.

    And at the end of the fifteenth day, Ron just wants to win.

    And at the end of the sixteenth day, Phil and Kobe are starting to figure out that Ron has a million different priorities, a million different voices in his head, and that when he's good, he's very, very good. And when he's not... destruction.
    Ive forgotten, how many championships did Phil win with Rodman on his team?

    Sad thing is, since Ron left he has been a lot closer to winning a championship than we have been.

  15. #113
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Artest To Sign With Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ive forgotten, how many championships did Phil win with Rodman on his team?
    And Rodman was mentally-healthy attention whore. Not a very good comparison to b!p0l@r d!s0rd3r Ron. When did Phil get his Ph.D. in mental disorders? No doubt Phil can motivate those with the mental capacity to be led, but if Ron doesn't take his medicine... look out!

    Sad thing is, since Ron left he has been a lot closer to winning a championship than we have been.
    Yeah, because as I predicted, Ron destroyed our franchise on the court and as a business. Sacremento and Houston don't exactly appear to be in great shape either, and it took Chicago quite a while to recover from Ron as well.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  16. #114
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Artest To Sign With Lakers

    Well, I think Houston did just fine. They knew going in that he was going to be a one-year-rental and used the Artest honeymoon to come closer to beating the champs than any other team. If Yao was coming back next year, they'd be right up there with other Western conference contenders. The key was the realization that you can't keep Ron around for more than one year or tied to a long-term contract.

    Sacramento, like us, tried for some reason to build around him, which is an epic mistake of course.

  17. #115
    You can call me Taz cinotimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,324

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Artest To Sign With Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And Rodman was mentally-healthy attention whore. Not a very good comparison to b!p0l@r d!s0rd3r Ron. When did Phil get his Ph.D. in mental disorders? No doubt Phil can motivate those with the mental capacity to be led, but if Ron doesn't take his medicine... look out!.
    Oh I think the similarities are and will be remarkably similar. Phil and Michael. Phil and Kobe. Just as there were some volatile and exciting times with Rodman in Chicago, the likely will also be the case in LA this year. But its hard to argue at this point that they wont have the same success as those Chicago teams had.


    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, because as I predicted, Ron destroyed our franchise on the court and as a business. Sacremento and Houston don't exactly appear to be in great shape either, and it took Chicago quite a while to recover from Ron as well.
    Oh, come on. Thats just plain silly. Noone person is ever responsible for a franchises success, and they certainly arent responsible for its demise. Especially a player.

  18. #116
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Artest To Sign With Lakers

    While people debate whether Ron is Kobe's Pippen or Rodman, Ron is going to prove that he's neither.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:


  20. #117
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Artest To Sign With Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh I think the similarities are and will be remarkably similar. Phil and Michael. Phil and Kobe. Just as there were some volatile and exciting times with Rodman in Chicago, the likely will also be the case in LA this year. But its hard to argue at this point that they wont have the same success as those Chicago teams had.
    Keep on believing that - and good luck with it. (I would say you're being very simplistic and naive, ignoring the key distinction I made. But I think I'll just wait for it to implode. Its not like it will hurt my feelings when the Lakers get destroyed...)

    Oh, come on. Thats just plain silly. Noone person is ever responsible for a franchises success, and they certainly arent responsible for its demise. Especially a player.
    Yeah, keep on believing that. Nothing more to say.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  21. #118
    You can call me Taz cinotimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,324

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Artest To Sign With Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Keep on believing that - and good luck with it. (I would say you're being very simplistic and naive, ignoring the key distinction I made. But I think I'll just wait for it to implode. Its not like it will hurt my feelings when the Lakers get destroyed...).
    Like they did in Houston? Oh wait....


    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, keep on believing that. Nothing more to say.
    Oh come now. Even if you believe Ron is the ultimate curse when it comes to basketball teams-which is obviously highly debateable-one thing that isnt debateable is he didnt come here on his own accord nor did he remain here for as long as he did on his own accord.

    Management/ownership chose to bring him here and they chose to keep him for as long as they did. So if you believe Ron destroyed the franchise-which again is highly debateable-then ultimately those people who brought him here and kept him here would share the brunt of the responsibility with regard to his impact on the franchise.

    Or would you have us believe that management should only be given credit for successes and no accountability where mistakes might be concerned?

  22. #119
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,550

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Artest To Sign With Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh, come on. Thats just plain silly. Noone person is ever responsible for a franchises success, and they certainly arent responsible for its demise. Especially a player.
    Yeah, I just pushed you off the cliff. It was the ground that killed you.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  24. #120
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Artest To Sign With Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Like they did in Houston? Oh wait....
    What did they win?

    Oh come now. Even if you believe Ron is the ultimate curse when it comes to basketball teams-which is obviously highly debateable-one thing that isnt debateable is he didnt come here on his own accord nor did he remain here for as long as he did on his own accord.

    Management/ownership chose to bring him here and they chose to keep him for as long as they did. So if you believe Ron destroyed the franchise-which again is highly debateable-then ultimately those people who brought him here and kept him here would share the brunt of the responsibility with regard to his impact on the franchise.

    Or would you have us believe that management should only be given credit for successes and no accountability where mistakes might be concerned?
    Agree entirely.

    You can't trust Ron, but you can't blame him for his mental defects.

    You do/ must blame management for bringing him in the first place, for extending him, and for unreasonable trade demands that forced him to stay with the franchise for too damn long.

    Looks like you've only been here since January - that's been my position for a long, long time.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  25. #121
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,550

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Artest To Sign With Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What did they win?



    Agree entirely.

    You can't trust Ron, but you can't blame him for his mental defects.

    You do/ must blame management for bringing him in the first place, for extending him, and for unreasonable trade demands that forced him to stay with the franchise for too damn long.

    Looks like you've only been here since January - that's been my position for a long, long time.
    I don't blame management at all for bringing him here in the first place. There was lots of pressure to take a risk to get to the next level, and the upside was far more than the downside at the time.

    For extending him - well, there are those who say that was a major fault of the previous management, those who say it engendered a lot of loyalty in players who otherwise might have gone on to the bigger shows for the same money we were offering. In hindsight it seems easy to say the extension was a bad idea. If we don't extend and he goes on to essentially play like he has in Sacto and Houston, a lot of people curse management for not keeping him.

    For unreasonable trade demands - again, if you trade him for a box of rocks and he is fairly benign in other franchises you are vilified.

    A disaster has to actually happen before people believe you that it is going to happen (guess you know that one, don't you...) Otherwise, you are always slammed for pulling the trigger to early or being cowardly. Heck, with the proof in place there are people calling current management out for not going after Ron.

    It was not as clear cut and easy as people would like to say. As I've said many times before, this situation was the entire reason why the franchise didn't take huge risks in the past and isn't likely to do so again. You end up having to operate in ways you don't like to operate, and the totality of it blows up far worse than you might have imagined.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  26. #122
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Artest To Sign With Lakers

    That's fine. You weren't in Chicago when Artest was. I knew what the Pacers were getting and you didn't. After Jordan retired and I moved to Chicago, I'm pretty sure I was the only person in the Tri-State area that cared about the NBA, and the only things to read in the local papers were the bizarre tales of Wacky Ron. You probably also know more about the ins and outs of the Hawks players than I ever did.

    The Bulls were willing to take Jalen's contract and get rid of Brad just to dump Artest's baggage on some fools in their division that thought, "eh, we can handle him."

    Artest's behavior did not change one bit between his time in Chicago and his time in Indiana. He just happened to be on a better team so it was slightly more news-worthy. Then, of course, he showed the entire public in Auburn Hills what it was like to deal with him every single day. Good player. Cheap shot. Remorse. Then all hell breaks loose.

    What I've never understood is this - why didn't the Kings just trade him to LA when everybody knew that is what Ron "wanted"? There was never any risk to the Kings that Ron will help lead the Lakers to success. Its a foregone conclusion. Tick... tick... tick...
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  27. #123
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Artest To Sign With Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, I just pushed you off the cliff. It was the ground that killed you.
    Terrible example. His point was there were multiple DECISION MAKERS involved, the ground isn't making a choice but TPTB were.

    How about you bring home a wild tiger and then complain when your house is torn up. After the first mauling and MrsB getting the heck out of there you decide to stick it out a bit longer...and even more destruction and mauling.

    We all blame the tiger when the finger should also be pointed at people that knew they were bringing something risky into their environment.


    Of course this is for the example. Personally I think Ron is far less destructive than that, though I do have to concede to ChiJay that Ron is "moody". I just happen to think it's much less than his rep suggests, and I think he's toned it down a bit.


    OTOH his Michael Jackson tribute rap is pretty awful, some really terrible lyrics.

  28. #124
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,607

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Artest To Sign With Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Keep on believing that - and good luck with it. (I would say you're being very simplistic and naive, ignoring the key distinction I made. But I think I'll just wait for it to implode. Its not like it will hurt my feelings when the Lakers get destroyed...)



    I agree 100% with what you say about Artest and his time here, but I still don't think he'll destroy the Lakers. Kobe's not about to let that clown ruin the last few years of his championship window. If Artest pulls any stunts, they'll punt him to the curb and get along fine.

    The difference between the situation here and the situation in LA is that we were completely dependent on Artest for a successful team while LA isn't. With a somewhat sane Artest, we were able to win 61 games and management felt he was a big reason for that success (and he was). Therefore, they felt like they had to cave to him constantly in hopes that he would straighten out (they were obviously wrong). LA OTOH just won a title without Ron, so it's not like they are depending on him for a deep run. If they have to go on without him, they'll do just fine.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  30. #125
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,550

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Artest To Sign With Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Terrible example. His point was there were multiple DECISION MAKERS involved, the ground isn't making a choice but TPTB were.

    How about you bring home a wild tiger and then complain when your house is torn up. After the first mauling and MrsB getting the heck out of there you decide to stick it out a bit longer...and even more destruction and mauling.

    We all blame the tiger when the finger should also be pointed at people that knew they were bringing something risky into their environment.


    Of course this is for the example. Personally I think Ron is far less destructive than that, though I do have to concede to ChiJay that Ron is "moody". I just happen to think it's much less than his rep suggests, and I think he's toned it down a bit.


    OTOH his Michael Jackson tribute rap is pretty awful, some really terrible lyrics.
    You're missing the point of the comment, but fine. I could argue that there's no perceived value to me having a tiger in the house, while Ron had (and still seems to have, even according to you) some value to a basketball franchise. Therefore, you're just setting up a straw man extreme example.

    Look, either Ron is a great player who was misunderstood to the point where only the worst front office in the NBA could fail to win a championship with him (I mean, after all, look at all his rings from other teams), or he is a terrible influence ready to blow up at any time and everyone should have known it, including Chicago, Indiana, Sacramento, Houston, and LA. It can't be both.

    The pain was worse because TPTB did not handle the situation the best way it could have been handled. Fine, we've all admitted that (including them). But the situation with JO's salary and JT's pouting in no way excuses Ron's inability to control himself on and off the floor and what it led to. The fact that the FO treated Ron the way we all wish we would be treated is no excuse for him to have essentially stabbed them (and the fans) in the back.

    Anyone who thinks the mass hatred for the Pacers would have taken this long to begin cleaning up if Ron's antics were taken out of the equation - if all we were dealing with were an overpaid but ineffectual "team leader", a pouty PG, and some night club incidents - is fooling themselves. There'd have been backlash, but without the brawl the problems are perceived at a MUCH lower level. Anyone who continues to think that Ron only needed another chance is forgetting how many "another chances" he got - which, of course, was the wrong thing to do then but must be the right thing to do now.

    Yes, there were other factors that made things worse, but Ron not only started the ball rolling, he WAS the ball.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 09-02-2013, 05:30 PM
  2. Kobe May Opt Out
    By MillerTime in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 06-18-2009, 09:37 AM
  3. Ron Artest filmed a PSA for PETA
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-27-2009, 03:07 PM
  4. Lakers sign second-rounder Crawford of Kentucky [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-27-2008, 06:10 PM
  5. Lakers sign forward Newble for rest of season [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2008, 08:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •