Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Artest To Sign With Lakers

Default Re: Artest To Sign With Lakers

I love how we're still ignoring the basketball reasons this is a bad move.

Yup. Artest will definitely break the Triangle on occasion. But it's not
    just a matter of jacking up ill-advised shots as he's want to do. He also
    loves to pound the ball. The Triangle's success is predicated on keeping
    it moving.

On the other hand, fwiw, he will give them an additional guy that can
    post up.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Larry is laughing and crying all at the same time.

If you guys don't think that the Lakers got even better w/ the addition of Artest, well, you're just kidding yourselves. I can see at least two to three championships coming from this squad: Kobe, Artest, Bynum, Gasol, Fisher, and maybe Odom too. Come guys, get real......................
    What you own is your own kingdom
    What you do is your own glory
    What you love is your own power
    What you live is your own story

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And the trend of the rich getting richer continues. Spurs get Jefferson, Cavs get Shaq, Magic get Carter and now the Lakers get Artest. The NBA is getting a whole lot tougher it seems like.
    Yep and I called this yesterday when the reports came out that the Lakers were probably not going to re-sign Ariza.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-...1&postcount=11

The Lakers just got a lot better with this one move. Makes me wonder if they'll even re-sign Lamar Odom now.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

I don't understand why the Lakers would breakup a championship winning chemistry that was only improving.

I guess I shouldn't be upset since this keeps Artest off of East teams and only makes an already excellent team worse.
    Last edited by rexnom; 07-03-2009 at 11:14 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Here's to open mindness and the death of prejudging situations.

Hicks, seriously, let me put mine out there too then.

If Hansbrough doesn't flop it will surprise me. There are some wildcards though:

1) The Pacers play up-tempo which means good chances for bigger stats

2) The Pacers are front-line weak which means he'll get playing time regardless.

3) Pacers fans love a hustle player and will rate and support him higher than his actual talent output.

Won't change my opinion that he's not an NBA player though.

Yes, it does sound reasonable doesn't it.

People do this stuff all the time, they justify an unreasonable POV because the person "deserves it". I'm not saying you must love Ron. I'm saying let him continue to earn his old rep, or let him earn a new rep.

Let him earn whatever view you have of him rather than making a list of reasons why you don't have to let him prove you wrong. I mean frankly if he's the guy you think he is then he will cause a problem. When that happens I'll go back to saying he was the same old disruption he always was and that your opinion turned out to be correct.

What bothers me is the number of people covering their butt with "even if you are right I'm not going to agree because of my list of qualifiers".

The qualifiers don't even work anyway because you are saying that if Ron has a coach that deals with him the right way he's fine, true for most players, and that if Ron has a good leader he's fine, true for a lot of players.

btw real example from me - I have criticized JOB plenty, but if you were to review my comments you'd see MANY posts where I have said that the bottom line is that JOB will have a shot to prove me wrong with what he gets the team to do. I think he's a flawed coach, but he gets the chance to prove me wrong.
    Different situations. How Tyler does on the court should have the opportunity to change how you think of him as a player on the court. How Artest does on the court, in a perfect situation on a team that would probably have won a championship without him, doesn't have beans to do with how he behaves to the Indiana fan base.

So, no, there's not much Ron can do playing for the Lakers that would change my opinion of what he did to the Pacers and would do again if given the chance.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    But the qualifiers do have some merit. Waltzing into a perfect situation in LA, laying low for one year and winning a championship that LA probably could've gotten w/o him does not even approach all the idiotic things he has done in the past, proportionately, in terms of degree of good act weighed against degree of bad act kind of thing. I imagine there are things Ron could do in order to "prove wrong" posters like Hicks et. al, but there would have to be more—probably starting with a heartfelt apology to all the fans of franchises he's screwed over, actually making good on his promise to buy back everyone's jerseys (I don't own one btw), honing in his idiotic shot-selection, etc.

You stab me in the back, two years later you donate $100 to the homeless. Is my opinion of you going to change drastically? And is it unreasonable if it doesn't?
    Exactly. I may be happy that you have changed and that you are a better person, but that does not change the fact you stabbed me two years ago.

I was one of Ron's biggest fans before he went crazy and decided he wanted to have 21 split personalities, so excuse me if I do not want to see him win a ring.

As BillS just said, nothing Ron does on the court is going to change the past. Could he have changed? Sure. But like I said before I would be willing to bet if we gave him another chance we would get burned one way or another.

I am going to stop now because I am starting to sound like Jay

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jack bauer For This Useful Post:

Banned

I think that the Artest talk with Lebron did not help out much, maybe Lebron could not garantee that he was coming back next year and Artest decided to go to a team were at least he knows that Kobe is going to be there for three more years according to reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Here's to open mindness and the death of prejudging situations.
    I stopped reading your post right here. Equal amount of respect being returned.

streets ahead

Marc Stein is reporting Jackson will be back full-time.

Source: Jackson intent on return

By Marc Stein
    ESPN.com news services

The Los Angeles Lakers' commitment to sign the mercurial Ron Artest would appear to make retaining Phil Jackson even more imperative than the team believed when the NBA's free-agent period began.

It shouldn't be a topic of discussion much longer.

Jackson's presence on the bench next season, according to one NBA coaching source, is "99.9 percent" assured, with another source indicating that Jackson's return will be publicly confirmed by the Lakers by early next week at the latest.

Sources said Jackson returned to his offseason home in Montana on Wednesday after completing a positive series of medical check-ups following the Game 5 victory in Orlando on June 14 that clinched the 15th NBA title in franchise history.

In a recent radio interview with 710 ESPN Los Angeles, Jackson said his 2009-10 status would be made official by "early July" and insisted that health concerns would be the only factor that could keep him from completing the final season of his contract in 2009-10, worth an estimated $12 million.

Since originally joining the Lakers for the 1999-2000 season, Jackson, 63, has endured an angioplasty and gout in addition to two hip surgeries and occasional back and leg problems.

In the radio interview, Jackson acknowledged the Lakers have "toyed around" with the idea of letting assistant coach Kurt Rambis coach the Lakers in more road games to ease the wear and tear on Jackson, as seen in April when Rambis stepped in for Jackson in a road loss at Portland on the second night of a back-to-back set.

But Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak subsequently announced that Jackson would "come back and coach both home and away games" if he indeed returns.

"During my discussion with him," Kupchak said, "it was pretty clear that that type of scenario doesn't work. And that's his opinion as well."

One theory already in circulation holds that Lakers owner Jerry Buss wanted to sign Artest in part to entice Jackson with a challenge to come back after winning his record-setting 10th championship ring as a coach, breaking his longstanding tie with Boston Celtics patriarch Red Auerbach.

The ability to keep Dennis Rodman plugged in with the Chicago Bulls, something only Jackson and Michael Jordan managed after Rodman's early days with the Detroit Pistons, helped him win two of those rings.

Asked during a SportsCenter appearance Thursday if he believes he'll be playing for Jackson when he reports to Lakers training camp in October, Artest said flatly, "He's my coach."

Artest also told the Los Angeles Times: "I had a great talk [Thursday] with Phil. I'm a huge fan of his and I can't wait to show him what I can do."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4304612

Also... no link for this, but ESPN Radio just reported that Artest is weighing two contract options from the Lakers a 5yr/$33mil and a 3yr/$18mil (at least those were the numbers I thought I heard). If I find a link, I'll post it.

EDIT: found it

The Los Angeles Lakers and Artest have struck an agreement in principal on a multiyear contract that, according to sources close to the process, will total roughly $18.7 million over three years or $33.5 million over five years, depending on which contract structure Artest ultimately prefers. But they had to let Ariza go to create the financial flexibility to do so.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4303679
    Last edited by avoidingtheclowns; 07-03-2009 at 01:02 PM.

Any reason why he wouldn't take the 5 year deal?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Retire early and become a boxer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    More likely to get another deal in three years.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

The difference is that Rodman was sane, but weird and only in it for himself. Rodman could be reached with logic, if you could explain to him what his personal benefit/ gain was.

Ron is not sane, and what he wants varies about as much as the midwestern weather. To declare "Ron is focused on winning a championship" is patently absurd.

I've wanted a Kobe-Ron-Phil combination for a long time. I'm looking forward to watching the pending implosion. Phil has met his match, and he'll soon discover the difference between a mentally healthy attention whore and bipolar disorder.

HA!!

EDIT - I hope he's taken notes from the Isiah Thomas school of "Treat Ron like a coach would treat Dennis". That really worked. Do it Phil!!
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post

I've wanted a Kobe-Ron-Phil combination for a long time. I'm looking forward to watching the pending implosion. Phil has met his match, and he'll soon discover the difference between a mentally healthy attention whore and bipolar disorder.
    This is the fun part. We're either going to see some absolutely dominating basketball, or we're gonna see a meltdown for the ages. There's almost no way that this can turn out to be boring or uninteresting. . . makes me wish I had league pass, or hell that I even had cable in the first place.
    Last edited by SoupIsGood; 07-03-2009 at 02:03 PM.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:

Yep, I'll be putting League Pass to good use next year whenever I can find the time.

There's not going to be any meltdown from the team's standpoint. Kobe, Gasol, Odom (if he's resigned) are too good to let this clown ruin their team. They just won a championship and have been to the finals twice. If he pulls any of the stunts he did here they will just tell him to f off and throw his a** to the curb. Kobe won't let this goofball ruin his legacy.

The Lakers aren't depending on Artest for anything while we were depending on him for practically everything. Our team was in shambles with him gone, but the Lakers could move along fine without him. That's why this is a fine move from their standpoint. A Kobe-Gasol-Odom core is always going to be one of the best in the NBA, and if you have a good Artest then it's just icing on the cake. If he screws up, then they'll just make do with what they have.

Those of you looking/hoping for a team wide meltdown are going to be sorely disappointed. Artest was a cancer amongst cancers here. If he pulls stunts in LA, he will be the only cancer, thus there won't be a train wreck like there was here.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I have a feeling Bill Simmons is going to get a laker season pass and drop his clippers tickets to see the all encompassing circus that is Ron Artest. It should be interesting reading this year at least.

Question about LA: Should they be trying to turn Bynum into Rubio? ...?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Question about LA: Should they be trying to turn Bynum into Rubio? ...?
    Might not be a bad idea, because he may have already turned into a pumpkin.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WInslow22 View Post
    If you guys don't think that the Lakers got even better w/ the addition of Artest, well, you're just kidding yourselves. I can see at least two to three championships coming from this squad: Kobe, Artest, Bynum, Gasol, Fisher, and maybe Odom too. Come guys, get real......................
    This.........

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    There's not going to be any meltdown from the team's standpoint. Kobe, Gasol, Odom (if he's resigned) are too good to let this clown ruin their team. They just won a championship and have been to the finals twice. If he pulls any of the stunts he did here they will just tell him to f off and throw his a** to the curb. Kobe won't let this goofball ruin his legacy.

The Lakers aren't depending on Artest for anything while we were depending on him for practically everything. Our team was in shambles with him gone, but the Lakers could move along fine without him. That's why this is a fine move from their standpoint. A Kobe-Gasol-Odom core is always going to be one of the best in the NBA, and if you have a good Artest then it's just icing on the cake. If he screws up, then they'll just make do with what they have.

Those of you looking/hoping for a team wide meltdown are going to be sorely disappointed. Artest was a cancer amongst cancers here. If he pulls stunts in LA, he will be the only cancer, thus there won't be a train wreck like there was here.
    He's signing a guaranteed contract. What are they going to do, "Tinsley" him?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post

I don't think there will be a meltdown but I think Artest will be disruptive enough to cost them a championship. He set this franchise back years. He might not do the same damage in LA, but he'll definitely jeopardize their chances for a championship.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    He's signing a guaranteed contract. What are they going to do, "Tinsley" him?

Yes, in the absolute worst case scenario.

Artest will probably have a "honeymoon" period there as others have mentioned (which I expect will last through this season). Say he acts up in the middle of 10-11, you "Tinsley" him for a year and a half and move on.

Artest knew he could get away with practically anything here because he was the straw that stirred the Pacer drink. But LA has already won a championship without him. They don't "need" him in order to survive like we did. I know Ron is a nut, but even he has to realize that he needs them more than they need him. If he acts up, you punt him to the side and end up wasting some millions on him. But you'll still be just fine on the basketball court because any team with Kobe, Gasol, and Odom is going to be very, very good.

And if it does happen to work out, then you have yourself a pretty cheap player who will help you out quite a bit.

Regardless, the Lakers as a team will be fine.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 07-03-2009 at 07:25 PM.