Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So let's assume (for the sake of discusson) that we got our big and our PG.

Default So let's assume (for the sake of discusson) that we got our big and our PG.

Tyler's definitely in the mix up front, and there's not really minutes to add another guy unless we think somebody's gonna spend the year injured. It's early, but let's assume that Jack comes back at a reasonable salary. Here's our depth chart, as it stands:

Roy - Mac
    Trophy - Foster - Tyler
    Granger -
    Rush -
    Jack - TJ - Diener - Price - Tinsley

We have two roster spots open, and we really need at least one wing player. Graham is an option, and we can play Jack at the 2 (I hope not), and Dunleavy should be coming back sometime after the season starts.

So what wing's a reasonable target, either in the FA market, or as a trade for TJ or Troy?
    Last edited by Anthem; 07-07-2009 at 11:07 AM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: So let's assume (for the sake of discusson) that we got our big and our PG.

JO?

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: So let's assume (for the sake of discusson) that we got our big and our PG.

Am i missing something? Who is Mac?

Wait, how are we getting our big? I'm assuming we'll get him in either next year's draft or in the 2010 or 2011 offseasons. Ideally that back-up wing is Dunleavy.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

I would think cheap is a big factor here. I woulden't be surprised if they signed Derrick Byars off the summer league roster, though for some reason he didn't play yesterday.

Also, If the market sucks bad enough for Marquis we might be able to get him back for real cheap too... you never know.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Am i missing something? Who is Mac?
    McBob.

I'd hate to see Bird use a valuable trade chip on a backup wing. I'd
    much rather see him wait to see what happens w/ Duns/and or just
    live w/ Graham or similarly inexpensive guy.

I bet Quis comes back cheap, though I'm sure my definition of cheap and Larry's definition of cheap are two different things.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    I bet Quis comes back cheap, though I'm sure my definition of cheap and Larry's definition of cheap are two different things.
    Marquis parked (again and again) on the IR list becomes expensive at any price.

I bet we'd be stunned to find out what it really cost us to have Marquis on the roster, once we divided his salary by the actual number of games he played for us.

I like Marquis, but I don't want him back only because of his injury history...and with a long-term contract he'd have no incentive to stay healthy. The problem (in addition to cost) is that you simply can't depend on him to be available...and you can't develop any team chemistry as a result.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kellogg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Wait, how are we getting our big?
    With the #13 pick.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

How about Quinton Ross, Carney and for a big Robert Swift.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    With the #13 pick.
    Oh I see what you're doing. Carry on then.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Honestly my gut says they just ride it out and then sign up Graham and Quis toward the end of the summer to fill out the wings. Basically the same roster with a trade of Rasho for Tyler. Small improvement, still a lot of changed needed.

Of course if Dun isn't going Bender on us (as in promises of better than ever that never pan out) he could come back and have a big impact, solving a lot of wing issues.

Dahntay Jones. That's who I want. With $8m in cap space I hope we can make it happen. A great defender at wing would be amazing. If Dunleavy is healthy, all the better then.

Quote Originally Posted by kellogg View Post
    Marquis parked (again and again) on the IR list becomes expensive at any price.

I bet we'd be stunned to find out what it really cost us to have Marquis on the roster, once we divided his salary by the actual number of games he played for us.

I like Marquis, but I don't want him back only because of his injury history...and with a long-term contract he'd have no incentive to stay healthy. The problem (in addition to cost) is that you simply can't depend on him to be available...and you can't develop any team chemistry as a result.
    Oh, I don't want him, doesn't mean I think he's gone.

I wouldn't mind getting Carney.

Default Qu

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    How about Quinton Ross, Carney and for a big Robert Swift.

Ross is signing with the Mavs, Swift is such an unknown commodity after injuries and headaches he is playing for Boston on summer league (and looked slower than hibbert but not as big), and Carney can't shoot. But I like where you are going with finding guys who still have upside, should be cheap, and are scrappy.

I would prefer Ross over Dahntay, but I could go either way for a wing defender, and I like either better than Quis.

Mood

I was up for Dahntay Jones until I was reminded about that bull he pulled with tripping people. I don't want to pay to see that.

I'd rather try Carney.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Honestly my gut says they just ride it out and then sign up Graham and Quis toward the end of the summer to fill out the wings.
    Your gut might have a little acid reflux goin' on there. Wouldn't you rather listen to your heart, which is whispering outlandish thoughts about signing a back-up center like Patrick O'Bryant or Saer Sene who suddenly "figures it out" during the year, and trading Murphy, Ford & their two-year contracts to Houston for the expiring contract of Tracy McGrady -- who stays healthy, falls in love with the Pacer team, and ably supports Danny in getting us all the way to the conference finals?

Ross was a very good pick for the Mavs, I've been coveting him for the C's for years, especially last off-season, but Ainge went with freakin' Tony Allen.

I don't see many interesting guys. Marquis Daniels and Keith Bogans would be respectable primary wing backups; Jones, not so much. Udoka is a very good solution for the minimum. There are always guys like Desmond Mason, Carney (more an athlete than a basketball player) and Graham available, but those are 4th/5th wing material.

Delfino can be an interesting solution if the Raptors renounce to his rights. Parker and Hill are good, but I don't think they make sense for Indiana.

But, IMO, the player NBA teams should be looking after is Romain Sato, a former Spurs draft pick. He developed into a terrific wing defender who can shoot the rock from distance. Very interesting prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I was up for Dahntay Jones until I was reminded about that bull he pulled with tripping people. I don't want to pay to see that.

I'd rather try Carney.
    Can you elaborate? What happened?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    Can you elaborate? What happened?
    [yt]Z6BWYMjTs3c[/yt]

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He tripped Kobe in the WCF's

Really? Is that enough of a reason not to sign a defensive ace who seems like a decent guy otherwise?

Default Re: Qu

Quote Originally Posted by gph View Post
    and Carney can't shoot.
    41/35% ain't bad.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Really? Is that enough of a reason not to sign a defensive ace who seems like a decent guy otherwise?
    "Other than that indecent thing he was caught doing, he's a decent guy?"