Thread: Summer Steps

Default Summer Steps

Chad Ford posted his summer blue print the other day & I'm sure most everyone read it. That, coupled with what is coming out of the Star sets us all up to expect something between the lines of McKey/Shremp or O'neal/Davis--a strategic move that does not gut the roster yet alters the dynamic on the court. Unlike the aforementioned deals, we completely expect a deal to happen whereas previously we thought one could happen or might happen.

There's a lot of pressure to make the "right" deal which may mean we will likely see something more conservative, but with Donnie & Larry (as his firing of Zeke proved) you never know.

The way things are going right now, it's hard to determine whether the Pacers (& its commodities)
    are the fish or the bait? Is management just waiting to bite?

Too bad Shaq can't see his way here for a couple of years (to start ahead of Harrison) otherwise this shrewd trade of risk (for both parties) could work:

Indiana trades:

*PF Austin Croshere (5.0 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 0.7 apg in 13.7 minutes)
    *PF Al Harrington (13.3 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 1.7 apg in 30.9 minutes)
    *C Scot Pollard (1.7 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.2 apg in 11.1 minutes)
    *C Jeff Foster (6.1 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 0.8 apg in 23.9 minutes)
    *PG Fred Jones (4.9 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 2.1 apg in 18.6 minutes)

Indiana receives: C Shaquille O'Neal (21.5 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 2.9 apg in 36.8 minutes)

Change in team outlook: -9.5 ppg, -9.8 rpg, and -2.6 apg.

L.A. Lakers trades: C Shaquille O'Neal (21.5 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 2.9 apg in 36.8 minutes)

L.A. Lakers receives:

*PF Austin Croshere (5.0 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 0.7 apg in 77 games)
    *PF Al Harrington (13.3 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 1.7 apg in 79 games)
    *C Scot Pollard (1.7 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.2 apg in 61 games)
    *C Jeff Foster (6.1 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 0.8 apg in 82 games)
    *PG Fred Jones (4.9 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 2.1 apg in 81 games)

Change in team outlook: +9.5 ppg, +9.8 rpg, and +2.6 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

This trade, for the Lakers, would only make an ounce of sense if Kobe was staying to be the superstar. The players the Pacers send would help round out their line up & generally increase their talent pool while also systematically diminishing their salary committments over a period of years
    when the players who are signed to those contracts remain useful.

Miami's offer cited by ESPN of a surging Odom, worn Grant 7 a number 1 isn't any better than what the Pacers could offer & still leaves their line up rather thin. Although Odom has the edge now, who's to say that he'll be drataically better than Harrington.

Q. Rich seems to be gone.
    S.Jackson swooped back by the Spurs?
    Blount & his marbles in Beantown.
    Dampier Fed-exed to Memphis?
    Crawford in limbo more than any other FA?

One quote that comes back to me (maybe from Bird via Brunner) is a point guard that can stroke the three & a 2-guard that can defend. Those two players sound a lot like T. Hudson & B.Bowen, but are there others out there like them that are available? or that can be pried away via trade?

2 players like that would fit well with Artest & Jermaine. Since I live overseas I don't get to see many games. How is Hudson's game compared to his statistics? Would he fit with the Pacers? Better than S.Jackson?

It should be interesting to see if Donnie & Larry build the team around #7 & #15. The Pacers are at an interesting crossroads, a crossroads that has not been this interesting in a long time, perhaps ever in franchise history.

Easy

Default Re: Summer Steps

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If that was the best offer the Lakers will get, they should simply fold as a franchise.
    LOL! Thanks for the laugh!
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Default Re: Summer Steps

Well,

To the previous posters, you are right: it is a complete "Homer" trade. That offer was meant to be but a sidebar in a post about the Pacers.

But I wouldn't give up much for Shaq, & that's what the Lakers seem to be finding out now. Shaq has taken & given out more punishment than anyone in the history of the league. He is going to miss games & other GMs are going to use that as tradfing leverage.

Shaq's career is nearly finished. At the least, Artest should have been included in that mix but the other players mentioned (besides Pollard) can still make years of contributions. The Lakers need to look for players like that. The Suns could offer the Lakers those kinds of players. Maybe Golden State. Those two teams have not been reported to be on his list.

Either way, I'm more interested in the Blue & Gold than the Purple & Gold.

Easy

PS. The ribbing is fine. I try to take mine with lots of sauce. Thx
    [edit=480=1089312889][/edit]