Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wing Player Free Agents of 2009 - Who Do You Want?

Sports Logo

Default Re: Wing Player Free Agents of 2009 - Who Do You Want?

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure why (maybe the Dallas-GSW series), but Barnes is wildly overrated, from my perspective.

He has the reputation of being a good defender; but he's a man without a position, who doesn't have the quickness to guard wings or the strength to defend inside.

Yes, he delivers some really hard fouls, but that doesn't make him a good defender.

He's an average rebounder for a 3/4 tweener.

Offensively, he's basically a spot-up shooter but a very streaky one. He only shot above 35% from beyond the line once in his career. Even considering his low usage rates, he isn't a very efficient scorer or a very mistaken free player. So, you basically have an energy guy who's a bit of a defensive liability and doesn't do nothing especially well. He's a good 9th man, but no more than that.

Many Celtics fans have been asking for this guy for the last 2 seasons and I can't understand why. I wouldn't trade Scalabrine for him.
    I can see your point regarding him. I'm guessing that if we did sign him...he would be a 8th-9th Man on our roster.

Also, why would you consider him a 3/4? Despite his slowness, I'd guess that he'd be closer to a 2/3 then a 3/4.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Doesn't Von Wafer have attitude problems?

I was in a meeting and was listening to live feeds of the Lakers-Rockets Game 2. I happened to heard that Houston Rockets' player Von Wafer was thrown out of the game by his own coach. The reporter was saying that during the fourth quarter, Von was already taking a shower at the locker room. Reports say that we has shouting at his coach prompting the ejection. If this is true, expect a disciplinary action not only from the Houston franchise but also by the league on Von Wafer.
    from ESPN:
    Von Wafer Shooting Guard (Rank: #45) | 6-5, 210 | Age: 23 ... a nice outside stroke whose attitude problems at Florida State has tanked his draft stock.
    hoopshype
    good athleticism...nice shot...attitude is a concern...
    Seems like a chucker too, so I'd stay away from him. He's not good enough to warrant the attitude and take a chance on.
    Last edited by PR07; 07-08-2009 at 06:10 PM.

Didn't know that. I'll pass.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I know this thread is about a wing, but I'm still thinking that Joel Anthony is the right guy to play b/u center for us. A good young player at a reasonable price. I like what he did with the Heat during their series with the Hawks and during the season.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    Doesn't Von Wafer have attitude problems?

from ESPN:

hoopshype

Seems like a chucker too, so I'd stay away from him. He's not good enough to warrant the attitude and take a chance on.
    id say that he doesnt have it any worse than the attitudes of say ron artest or brad miller, i know thats water under the bridge, but for arguments sake, if we took a risk on those guys i dont see why it would be out of the question for von.

PLUS, im not surprised about his attitude, everybody has attitude problems from FSU.

if its not in the cards im not gonna disrespect the pacers decision, but in the playoffs this year i saw a guy that i hadnt seen before. he played great D on kobe, and he took it to the rim much more often and aggressive than i thought he could. but hey, i guess my opinion doesnt matter, Larry's does though.
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by IndyProdigy View Post
    id say that he doesnt have it any worse than the attitudes of say ron artest or brad miller, i know thats water under the bridge, but for arguments sake, if we took a risk on those guys i dont see why it would be out of the question for von.

PLUS, im not surprised about his attitude, everybody has attitude problems from FSU.

if its not in the cards im not gonna disrespect the pacers decision, but in the playoffs this year i saw a guy that i hadnt seen before. he played great D on kobe, and he took it to the rim much more often and aggressive than i thought he could. but hey, i guess my opinion doesnt matter, Larry's does though.
    Im not sure how similar Ron and Brads issues were. And Im pretty certain its not fair to put them in the same sentence.

Im also fairly certain that Wafers problems are significantly closer to resembling Rons than Brads-since Brad never had a tendency to complain about touches-Wafer is definitely a ball hog and its not a big secret.

And Im absolutely certain that Wafer is no where near approaching the Allstar caliber players that Artest and Miller were.

What bizarre history did I sleep through to where Brad Miller was a problem of this variety? All I ever remember about Brad is health concerns and substance concerns. Nothing to do with getting into it with coaches.

Yes, I prefer Brian Scalabrine to Matt Barnes. Scal is a more efficient outside shooter than Barnes, takes better care of the ball, is a very solid screener and can actually defend some guys, especially jump-shooting 4s. He also plays with energy and all that intangibles jazz.

I'm not sure what to do of Hollinger's claim that Barnes can play point-forward. His handling allows him to do it, but how valuable is that? If Barnes is your best or 2nd best ball-handler and playmaker on the floor for more than 4 possessions a game, you may start thinking who's going to represent your ballclub in the draft lottery.

I agree that a cheap Barnes playing a limited role is a good signing. As the Suns used him last season, playing 30mpg as a swingman, I think it screams disaster.

I don't know much about Von Wafer attitude problems, but what I know is that he's a guy that can win you a couple of games coming off the bench in a week just to lose you a few ones in the following week - at least that was like he played in Houston. I think radically aggressive gunners like Von Waffer are a bit dangerous under O'Brien. Skilled scorer though.