Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wing Player Free Agents of 2009 - Who Do You Want?

Default Re: Wing Player Free Agents of 2009 - Who Do You Want?

I dont know what his current situation is, but i would strongly consider FRANSISCO GARCIA if he is free. correct me if im wrong.
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

My picks would be - Almond, Carney, Green, Bogans, Rush or Dahntay Jones if the price was right ( Another Dukey on the team ha )

Bogans Rush and Jones are possibilities and MAYBE Carney but other than those 4 I would think if we were interested in Almond, or Green we would have tried to get them on our summer league team.

To be honest I like the idea of getting Leo Lyons. He was projected as a late 1st to early 2nd rounder and for whatever reason slipped. That Mizzouri team was renown for its defense. I dont know much about Byars, but I do remember a lot of people like him coming out of College for his defense and athleticism.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by IndyProdigy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dont know what his current situation is, but i would strongly consider FRANSISCO GARCIA if he is free. correct me if im wrong.
    He's signed an ext to 2013/14 according to SHAMSPORTS.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MyFavMartin For This Useful Post:

Garcia would be great unfortunately the Kings gave him an extension last season.

On a side note I have to admit I do like Graham. He has always answered the call when we have needed him. he can hit the open jumper and gets some good garbage dunks. He def needs to get better at picking his spots (I dont think he saw a shot he didnt like last season) but I think it being a contract year for him may have played a role in that. I think he has all the tools to be a better defender on the wing if teh coaching staff were to sit down and tell him thats what they needed from him. All in all though great character guy and locker room guy.

Sports Logo

Garcia was extended until 2012/2013 for about $5.5 mil a year.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Mood

I like Almond, Barnes and Ross myself.

According to ESPN, we're making a run at Gortat.

Word is New York and Indiana were also among the teams to register immediate interest in Gortat over the phone once free agency started, which helps explain why one Eastern Conference official describes the 7-footer from Poland as this summer's likely "Powerball winner," since Gortat will almost certainly cash in on the position he plays in spite of limited opportunities in Orlando behind Howard.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...Chatter-090701

Quote Originally Posted by smj887 View Post
    According to ESPN, we're making a run at Gortat.

Word is New York and Indiana were also among the teams to register immediate interest in Gortat over the phone once free agency started, which helps explain why one Eastern Conference official describes the 7-footer from Poland as this summer's likely "Powerball winner," since Gortat will almost certainly cash in on the position he plays in spite of limited opportunities in Orlando behind Howard.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...Chatter-090701
    Gortat isnt as good as everyone makes him out to be. He is someone I would want, but he wont be a starter. Hes more of a defensive person you want off the bench to put in some valuable mins. Hes not someone you will run plays for or expect to put up great numbers everyday
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    Gortat isnt as good as everyone makes him out to be. He is someone I would want, but he wont be a starter. Hes more of a defensive person you want off the bench to put in some valuable mins. Hes not someone you will run plays for or expect to put up great numbers everyday
    Sounds like a perfect alternative to Hibby off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Sounds like a perfect alternative to Hibby off the bench.
    If the price is right. Seems to me someone will outbid us.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

13. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Now that I've had a night to think about it, I'd be estatic if the Pacers were able to sign Dahntay Jones and Rodney Carney. A good consolation would be Quinton Ross and Carney.

I didn't know this until today but Carney is from Indianapolis and played his High School ball at Northwest. He'd probably be willing to play here seeing that it's where he's from and our team is closer to competing for the playoffs than the TWolves.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like Quinton Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    If the price is right. Seems to me someone will outbid us.
    Of course. Some brain-dead GM somewhere pictures him as a 35 minute a game starter.

Happens every year with FAs. Someone, somewhere will overpay anyone just so he can tell his fanbase that they are making moves.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Ronald Flip Murray
    Gerald Green
    James Singleton
    Dhantay Jones
    Allen Iverson
    Von Wafer
    Marquis Daniels
    Jason Hart
    Quinton Ross
    Rodney Carney
    Ryan Bowen
    Desmond Mason
    Keith Bogans
    Kareem Rush
    Matt Barnes
    Ime Udoka
    Anthony Parker
    Morris Almond
    Ronnie Price
    Juan Dixon
    Luther Head
    Jamario Moon
    All of the guys above are still available. You have to think that one of Udoka, Matt Barnes, Dahntay Jones, Anthony Parker, and Rodney Carney are going to be available for 2 million dollars or less per year. In fact 2 mill would be a raise for each of the aforementioned players.

It might be a tough sell for guys like Jones, Barnes, and Udoka because they played for winning squads but Parker and Carney might be a possibility. I also included Jamario Moon and Luther Head to the list as I overlooked them when I first posted this thread.
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.

I believe Q. Ross is heading to Dallas.

If we can get him for very little, I like the addition of Rodney Carney. He's athletic, which is something we lack, he's young, so he could still blossom, and I think something else that's important, I don't think he'd mind going back to being a towel-waver once Dunleavy returns. Anybody we sign is going to be a stop-gap player, assuming that Dunleavy comes back from his surgery. He'd also have intrinsic value due to being a local product, meaning he might draw fans, and might actually be willing to happily come to our losing situation because it would allow him to come home.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Eindar For This Useful Post:

Banned

what about Marving Williams? he is not on that list, I am sure he is a restricted free agent, I also like Barnes he plays hard all the time and is a really good defender.

I'm happy to see a lot of people like Barnes. From what I've seen he always appears do bring in energy. He can also start if needed. I wanted him last year and think he might have been one of the best values around. 10pts 5 boards and almost 3 assists for under $800K. I would love to get him instead of Graham. I wonder why teams are reluctant to sign him? His tattoos don't give him the best image and I hope this isn't why. I've never heard of any character issues with him. Have any of you?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    what about Marving Williams? he is not on that list, I am sure he is a restricted free agent, I also like Barnes he plays hard all the time and is a really good defender.
    Unless Jack isn't going to be resigned....we can't afford Marvin Williams....on top of that....what position would he play for us?

If Barnes was okay with accepting some $2mil per year / 2 year deal...I'd be okay with him....assuming of course that we make some more 2010-2011 Salary Cutting trades between now and the end of the 2009-2010 season.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

i personally want von wafer. hes a guy who has been used to having pretty good productivity off the bench. he got some good experience last year. fairly cheap and a solid backup for rush OR granger.
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

Quote Originally Posted by AG77 View Post
    I'm happy to see a lot of people like Barnes. From what I've seen he always appears do bring in energy. He can also start if needed. I wanted him last year and think he might have been one of the best values around. 10pts 5 boards and almost 3 assists for under $800K. I would love to get him instead of Graham. I wonder why teams are reluctant to sign him? His tattoos don't give him the best image and I hope this isn't why. I've never heard of any character issues with him. Have any of you?
    I think he does a lot of good stuff off the court but I know he can get kinda chippy on the court. Kind of a backwards logic from past seasons with the Pacers.

Ross was the guy I wanted, but the mavs signed him today.

So, of that list, I have interest in Moon, Bogans, Barnes, Parker, and Udoka. I also like Jeremy Richardson, Erik Daniels, Coby Karl, and malik hairston.

For the big man, I would love to try to grab Pops Mensah-bonsu if the Raptors have to let him walk to get Turkoglu. I still think there is upside for Richard Hendrix and Jermareo Davidson too.

On the PG front, i would prefer to roll the dice with NBDL or undrafted guys looking for potential upside guys like a Walker Russell, Russell Robinson, Kevin Kruger, Curtis Stinson type. I would prefer Jack over those guys though.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

i personally want von wafer. hes a guy who has been used to having pretty good productivity off the bench. he got some good experience last year. fairly cheap and a solid backup for rush OR granger.

I like Von but he's a cold-hearted gunner. Sometimes that's a good thing because he's not afraid to take and knock down big shots. It's also a bad thing because he never passes the ball once he puts it on the floor.

I'm not sure why (maybe the Dallas-GSW series), but Barnes is wildly overrated, from my perspective.

He has the reputation of being a good defender; but he's a man without a position, who doesn't have the quickness to guard wings or the strength to defend inside.

Yes, he delivers some really hard fouls, but that doesn't make him a good defender.

He's an average rebounder for a 3/4 tweener.

Offensively, he's basically a spot-up shooter but a very streaky one. He only shot above 35% from beyond the line once in his career. Even considering his low usage rates, he isn't a very efficient scorer or a very mistaken free player. So, you basically have an energy guy who's a bit of a defensive liability and doesn't do nothing especially well. He's a good 9th man, but no more than that.

Many Celtics fans have been asking for this guy for the last 2 seasons and I can't understand why. I wouldn't trade Scalabrine for him.

billbradley

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    I'm not sure why (maybe the Dallas-GSW series), but Barnes is wildly overrated, from my perspective.

He has the reputation of being a good defender; but he's a man without a position, who doesn't have the quickness to guard wings or the strength to defend inside.

Yes, he delivers some really hard fouls, but that doesn't make him a good defender.

He's an average rebounder for a 3/4 tweener.

Offensively, he's basically a spot-up shooter but a very streaky one. He only shot above 35% from beyond the line once in his career. Even considering his low usage rates, he isn't a very efficient scorer or a very mistaken free player. So, you basically have an energy guy who's a bit of a defensive liability and doesn't do nothing especially well. He's a good 9th man, but no more than that.

Many Celtics fans have been asking for this guy for the last 2 seasons and I can't understand why. I wouldn't trade Scalabrine for him.
    really you wouldn't trade Michael Rapaport for barnes!?!?! i like him for a 2 year contract simply because what he is good at can work with what we're doing now. yeah he has flaws, but thats why he's cheap. long shooter with energy, i'm game

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/playe...layerId%3d1765
    hollinger on barnes

Scouting report: When he isn't spotting up for 3s, Barnes basically plays as an energy guy who can come in at either forward spot. Though he's dramatically undersized for power forward at 6-7, 235 pounds, he's very tough and manages to hold his own on the glass. His problem is size mismatches in the post, which is why he tends to play in the frontcourt only in small-ball lineups; that was every day in Golden State, but is likely to be less often with his new employers.

Barnes handles the ball very well for his size and can be used as a point forward. He'll get out of control on drives to the basket at times and doesn't have the strength to post up or muscle his way to the hoop off the dribble, which is why he's mostly used as a spot-up shooter.