Thread: Offers Pouring In For Rubio

Default Offers Pouring In For Rubio

Ricky Rubio has become the most sought after player in the NBA.

Executives across the league are flooding Timberwolves president David Kahn's office with calls offering trades for Rubio.

The Wolves, however, are in no hurry to trade Rubio.

"The last thing we needed to do was be demanding and assertive. Not now," Kahn said. "I don't know how this is going to play out. There could be a lot of twists and turns. But I don't feel any self-imposed pressure that this needs to be resolved or concluded in any short fashion."
    ESPN
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...ory?id=4295802
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Default Re: Offers Pouring In For Rubio

Kahn is working this perfectly, extracting the maximum value out of his aassets.

Or he's badly overplaying his hand and his plan will backfire.

I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, maybe it was a good idea to select Rubio and Flynn after all. If he can parlay Rubio into a borderline All-Star player or a couple of solid veterans this could be a good trade.

I wish the Pacers could land him.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Regardless of who ends up with Rubio, according to Kahn himself, Rubio remains under contract with his team overseas for atleast 2-more years. So, unless there's a buy-out, he won't play in the NBA for a while yet.

Sidenote: I thought what Kahn did in drafting PGs in the first round was brilliant! He knows the T-wolves won't be contenders for a few years yet, but he also knows that the most coveted position in basketball is Point Guard. So, any team that wants to add a young, potential dynamic PG to their roster will have to acquire him in 1 of 4 ways:

1) Draft him...not likely now that the draft is over.

2) Free Agency...possible, but difficult considering the issues with the salary cap, luxury tax, MLE, etc.

3) Find one in the D-League. Possible, but difficult considering that you can only work with your own players who you sent down. So, unless you already had a PG in the NBA's minor league, you're probably SOL unless another team recalled one of their own and you're able to work out a trade for him.

4) Make a trade outright for a known potential talent most teams covet because he came directly from the draft!

Smart move by Kahn and the T-wolves. I'm sure they've gotten tons of offers for not only Rubio. Eventually, the T-wolves will have to decide what to do with all that commodity they have. I have a feeling tomorrow - the start of free agency - with start that process moving along.
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 06-30-2009 at 12:23 PM.

Rubio spending another year in Europe would be far from the worst thing in the world for Minn - so long as he continues to improve and doesn't get hurt. Plus the buyout gets smaller. Of course if Flynn makes all-rookie it might create another problems - but all teams could wish for those kind of problems.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    Rubio spending another year in Europe would be far from the worst thing in the world for Minn - so long as he continues to improve and doesn't get hurt. Plus the buyout gets smaller. Of course if Flynn makes all-rookie it might create another problems - but all teams could wish for those kind of problems.
    The buyout is actually going up next season, if i was him i would just play out my contract which runs 2 more years and still come into NBA as a 20 year old.