Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Pacers Summer League thread

Default Re: The Pacers Summer League thread

Quote Originally Posted by Wylder1324 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im with you on the "Diamond In The Rough" bit, although I think Aaron Jackson may fit that mold as well. Especially if we arent able to keep Jack.

I hope so, too, though then the confusion over the use of the name "Jack" will be extended even further. Already it is unclear when some says "Jack" whether they mean Jarrett or Steven or Mark.
    Last edited by Putnam; 07-06-2009 at 07:15 PM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

O'Brien is coaching because 3-5 rotation players are on the summer roster that could all use more direct familiarity with what is going to be run in the regular season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anybody able to record the streaming game so those of us at work can watch it later?

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Anybody able to record the streaming game so those of us at work can watch it later?

I'm sure they archive the games. I'll have to look. Without doing it illegally, I'm not sure how to do it.

Womens Wrestling Champion El Pacero's Avatar

The stream isn't working for me, and it's 3:10? Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by ouzome View Post
    The stream isn't working for me, and it's 3:10? Anyone else?
    working perfectly for me.

Anthony Smith looks good :d
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

One of these announcers is a major league tool.

One?

The stream works for me well.
    J. MacRoberts really looks bulk up, I am telling it from the poor resolution of the broadcast..
    T. Hansbrouger jumps up and down, really energetic.
    B. Rush don't have his touch today. Looking forward for his handling which is what he is working in the summer. don't observe it in the first half game.

Hansbrough and McRoberts remind of me a better version of Foster and Pollard. Just two guys out there that aren't afraid of contact and love to hustle
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rush shot 4-18. Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    Hansbrough and McRoberts remind of me a better version of Foster and Pollard. Just two guys out there that aren't afraid of contact and love to hustle
    I am not sure how it relates but your post made me think of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkEDsxrmVVY

those announcers are the best thing ever to happen to summer league. Put them on ESPN next season. I've never laughed to hard during a basketball game, ever.

He just wants us to say hi to him"
    "I will say hi to you when Jrue Holiday stops shooting".
    "You will never get your greeting"
    "Josh Mcroberts is fired up, the man who lives in his beard is fired up!".
    "Roy Hibbert runs slow, like something slow.....like a sloth"
    "Like a slow cheetah".
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-06-2009 at 07:23 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    I am not sure how it relates but your post made me think of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkEDsxrmVVY
    you totally lost me

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    you totally lost me
    I kinda knew that was gonna happen (not sure how it relates), but I thought I would hi send anyways. The only connection was the three words just two guys.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    I'm sure they archive the games. I'll have to look. Without doing it illegally, I'm not sure how to do it.
    If you know of a way we can watch the games after the fact please let me know because I am pretty much busy during all the scheduled games this week. Is it true that the games are actually watchable now? In previous years it has looked like junk, you could not even distuinguish players.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Why do people hate those announcers? They're just doing volunteer work. Maybe I'm just defensive because I think I'd announce similar to how they are...
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    If you know of a way we can watch the games after the fact please let me know because I am pretty much busy during all the scheduled games this week. Is it true that the games are actually watchable now? In previous years it has looked like junk, you could not even distuinguish players.
    It was better IMO. I went in expecting to not tell who was who, but I could this year. Still somewhat difficult, though. I'd recommend taking a look if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    It was better IMO. I went in expecting to not tell who was who, but I could this year. Still somewhat difficult, though.
    I agree, I could actually read the numbers on their jersey's this time. Could be the 32" Vizio though. It is quite a difference.

http://www.nba.com/media/magic/njnph...ore_070609.pdf

boxscore from game 1

Pacers V Nets

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Quote Originally Posted by GO!!!!! View Post
    I loved watching Hansbrough. I know its only the first game, but I like what I saw out there today. He came out with a lot of hustle. He didnt shy away from contact and wasnt intimidated from Speights.

I really wish Hibbert can pick his game up. He played really sloppy out there, he let Speights dummy him around. Lets all hope that this is only the first summer league game so Hibbert should be able to bounce back. The 2 commentators said Hibbert has hands like frying-pans. And he really did today.

One other bright spot I think we have is in Price. He had a great looking shot from beyond the arch and he seemed pretty quick on the dribble.

Looking forward to our next game tomorrow! I honestly dont care if we win or lose in summer league, I just want these guys, especially Hibbert and Hansbrough, to get some jitters out and get comfortable with one another

Don't know if it has been posted yet, but I just found this nice little read on Hoopsworld...

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13220

by Alex Raskin

Orlando: Pacer University

By: Alex Raskin Last Updated: 7/8/09 12:48 AM ET | 131 times read

Adjust font size:In 2007 Roy Hibbert's Georgetown Hoyas beat Tyler Hansbrough's North Carolina Tar Heels in the Elite Eight.

Now Hansbrough is beating Hibbert down the floor as his teammate on the Pacers' summer league team in Orlando.

"Sometimes (Hansbrough is) running the break and I tell him, 'Let me get down there first so I can post up strong,' and a lot of big guys can't handle that so they usually call a foul so I can go to the line," Hibbert told HOOPSWORLD after racking up 24 points and eight rebounds against the Oklahoma City Thunder's summer squad. "We're just trying to experiment now to see what works when we get to the season."

And "experiment" seems like an excellent term for a squad of intelligent, big-name college players like Hibbert and Hansbrough.

After a draft that saw an American coming out of Rome (Brandon Jennings), a Spanish prodigy at point guard (Ricky Rubio) and 7-3 center from Tanzania (Hasheem Thabeet), the Pacers are a reminder that there is still a need for veteran college players in the NBA.

Danny Granger was a star at New Mexico (who nearly attended Yale) before being taken by the Pacers with the 17th pick in 2005. Mike Dunleavy and Josh McRoberts are each Dukies while Jarrett Jack (Georgia Tech), Brandon Rush (Kansas), T.J. Ford (Texas), Troy Murphy (Notre Dame) and Marquis Daniels (Auburn) all played under the spotlight at the highest amateur level. Daniels, McRoberts and Jack could be playing elsewhere next season, but General Manager David Morway and President of Basketball Operations Larry Bird clearly value the most traditional talent pool.

It's a far cry from the 2002-2003 Pacers that featured three guys (Jermaine O'Neal, Al Harrington, and Jonathan Bender) that never stepped onto an NCAA court.

One of the benefits of mixing premier college talent is that there is a lot of familiarity and respect for each other's games.

"When (Hansbrough) got drafted I called him and said I was excited to play with him," Hibbert said. "I told him we have a lot of work to do and it starts in the summer league."

You don't have to tell Hansbrough twice. The former All-American has scored 40 points in two summer league games to go with nine rebounds.

"Obviously, he has one thing on his mind: to play hard," said Hibbert. "I hear him out there being like, 'Let's get this!' And obviously, a rookie coming in, doing that, is going to help the team."

While Hansbrough was winning a National Championship in his final season at UNC, Hibbert was going through his ups and downs in Indiana. Considered a project by many analysts, Hibbert played in only 25% of his team's minutes but still managed to score over seven points per game as a rookie.

Hansbrough's presence is a huge boon to Hibbert during the summer league. Last season, Hibbert was often the center of the defense's attention—a far cry from his reality in the NBA.

But now, with Hansbrough on board, Hibbert can use the summer to further his understanding of how to compliment other players.

"Last year, I was the main post presence, but now coach is calling plays for him and that eases me up and lets me read the defense and see where I can help him out and vice versa," he said.

Most importantly, playing with better talent gives Hibbert a better sense of life in the NBA.

"I think if you have two guys that can score in the post, it really eases things up," Hibbert noted. "It puts pressure on the defense.

"(Hansbrough and I have been) meshing really well," he continued. "I know last year (during the summer league), trying to go to the offensive boards, two or three people went to box me out. But now, I got him down there and they're going to have a hard time boxing both of us out."

Clearly, if a player has made it this far, they've been near the top wherever they've played. But if you can teach someone what it's like to be a third or fourth option, then you've prepared them for the NBA.

The 2009-2010 Pacers are considered a young team, but with a couple more semesters of summer league, they'll graduate from college to NBA stars.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BKK For This Useful Post:

Hansbrough's presence is a huge boon to Hibbert during the summer league. Last season, Hibbert was often the center of the defense's attention—a far cry from his reality in the NBA.

"(Hansbrough and I have been) meshing really well," he continued. "I know last year (during the summer league), trying to go to the offensive boards, two or three people went to box me out. But now, I got him down there and they're going to have a hard time boxing both of us out."
    I'm pretty sure Roy's poor stats last year weren't due to defensive attention, but due to the fact he didn't play.....
    Last edited by MagicRat; 07-08-2009 at 10:08 AM.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post: