Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A.J. Price appreciates chance with Pacers

Default Re: A.J. Price appreciates chance with Pacers

Tinsley doesn't count IMO. He's roster deadspace. With that said, I doubt we're afraid of having 4 PGs on the team. We did in 2003-2004, for example (Tinsley/Johnson/Anderson/Brewer).

I think they'd be crazy to not sign this guy. He looks like he's at worst on Diener's level. I suspect he'll be better than Travis. Not sure HOW much better.

I was very impressed by Price in the SL game vs. Boston. He runs the pick'n'roll much better than I remembered him doing it with UConn.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Using the word "steal" in reference to Price was probably not a good idea.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Welcome aboard A.J.

Don't get arrested when you're in Indiana or Bird will kick your rookie butt out of here.

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    i am still trying to understand why McRob didn't get more minutes. Were they trying to hide him, stupidity, or just that JOB was really afraid of his job and didn't want to risk mistakes playing a novice?
    For those of you wondering why McBob didn't get minutes, there are many reasons. Here are a few:

At the time, he was not significantly better (or worse) than Foster and Murphy....yet Foster and Murphy were paid 10 times more than McBob. The owners don't want their investment sitting on the bench. It looks like a waste of 15+ million a year. The coach obviously doesn't see a lot of benefit playing McBob under these circumstances. What's worse is, if you play McBob over them it lowers Foster and Murphy's market value as they rot on the bench. If the coach plays McBob and he fails...he looks foolish as the owner's highly paid PF's sit. Play McBob and he succeeds, his price goes up.

These are the same reasons many coaches are accused of favoring veterans. There is a pecking order and financial side to NBA basketball that you do not have in college and other leagues. That's why many promising players strangely find themselves on the bench as fans wonder why they are not getting minutes. The players know why this happens. Nobody wants to tell this to the fans though.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

His parents were respected professionals, his father a member of Penn's 1979 Final Four team.
    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    I like that he majored in political science.
    These 2 tidbits seem to add up to Price being a pretty smart kid. I'm starting to think that might be another thing Bird looks for in players. Granger, Hibbert, Rush, and Hansbrough are all pretty smart cookies as well.

Actually, if you take the whole roster into account, we may have the highest average IQ of any NBA team. Too bad that doesn't translate directly into wins.

I'd love to see Price make the team, but I'm a little wary. If we designate 5 of our 15 roster spots to PG's, it likely means we're not signing another big. That increases the likelihood of Jack at SG and Granger at PF, which is not optimal.

From what I saw of Price in summer league, I really liked his defensive activity. He was picking guys up before half court and staying with them in a very pesky manner. He was actively pressuring guys more than any of our current PG's do. When you combine that with the fact that he's a good shooter and can execute the pick and roll, you've got a guy who looks to be a decent back-up if not something a bit more.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

They want tough, smart, mature players.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    These 2 tidbits seem to add up to Price being a pretty smart kid. I'm starting to think that might be another thing Bird looks for in players. Granger, Hibbert, Rush, and Hansbrough are all pretty smart cookies as well.

Actually, if you take the whole roster into account, we may have the highest average IQ of any NBA team. Too bad that doesn't translate directly into wins.

I'd love to see Price make the team, but I'm a little wary. If we designate 5 of our 15 roster spots to PG's, it likely means we're not signing another big. That increases the likelihood of Jack at SG and Granger at PF, which is not optimal.

From what I saw of Price in summer league, I really liked his defensive activity. He was picking guys up before half court and staying with them in a very pesky manner. He was actively pressuring guys more than any of our current PG's do. When you combine that with the fact that he's a good shooter and can execute the pick and roll, you've got a guy who looks to be a decent back-up if not something a bit more.
    After the laptop incident, Price maintained a 3.5 GPA for a while. I'm not sure if he ended it there, but anything around 3.5 is good...

Truth is, he really is a good kid, who made a really stupid mistake. My respect for this kid went through the roof this past college season. This is a kid who recovered from a brain injury and stuck with the Uconn program after the laptop incident. (which wasn't easy to do. Let's be honest, when you return to a program knowing that you are going to be taunted by not only fans of other schools, but by your own fans, as well as being scrutinized for every move you make. That's not easy. Not that he didn't deserve it, but it wasn't easy)To become an All American, change at least his own fans opinions of him..only to tear his ACL nine minutes into his first ACL injury.

But after tearing his ACL, before returning to about 80% of what he was and leading Uconn to the final four, he wasn't playing well through the first half of the year. He had mental and physical blocks. And Uconn had a great freshman point guard waiting behind him. For A.J. to cheer and help that kid (Kemba Walker) on and off the court was just commendable. A.J. was a kid who was an all american, who was struggling mentally and physically, but still found it in himself to help, lead, and cheer on Kemba when Kemba was taking A.J.'s place at the end of some games and many people questioned whether Kemba should just take his place permanantly. Sure, that's what a teammate is supposed to do, but it's rare for kids to actually be able to do it.

He was solid throughout the summer league games, and definitely seemed more comfortable the latter three days.

I've watched many great players go through the Uconn program. Ray Allen, Rip, Caron Butler, Emeka Okafor, Ben Gordon, ect.. but I can honestly say that none of them have impressed me the way that A.J. had. On and off the court.
    Last edited by jaychaser; 07-11-2009 at 01:55 PM.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jaychaser For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    For those of you wondering why McBob didn't get minutes, there are many reasons. Here are a few:

At the time, he was not significantly better (or worse) than Foster and Murphy....yet Foster and Murphy were paid 10 times more than McBob. The owners don't want their investment sitting on the bench. It looks like a waste of 15+ million a year. The coach obviously doesn't see a lot of benefit playing McBob under these circumstances. What's worse is, if you play McBob over them it lowers Foster and Murphy's market value as they rot on the bench. If the coach plays McBob and he fails...he looks foolish as the owner's highly paid PF's sit. Play McBob and he succeeds, his price goes up.

These are the same reasons many coaches are accused of favoring veterans. There is a pecking order and financial side to NBA basketball that you do not have in college and other leagues. That's why many promising players strangely find themselves on the bench as fans wonder why they are not getting minutes. The players know why this happens. Nobody wants to tell this to the fans though.
    To be fair teams in Europe have a pretty strict order too. Rookies DO NOT start if there's a more experienced player ahead of them. I believe that was the excuse for Brandon Jenning's low playing time in Europe.
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    **** doesn't count IMO. He's roster deadspace
    **** counts against the salary cap, and he takes up a roster slot.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

I have a feeling that AJ will make the most of his opportunty and will EVENTUALLY be THE #2 Pg on the Team.
    OH YEAH WE GOT TYLER HANSBROUGH!!!! WAIT A MINUTE....IM A DUKE FAN

It's worth giving him some time with us. He won't get paid over a million anyway. I'd sign him for 750 thousand.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyMurphy3 View Post
    It's worth giving him some time with us. He won't get paid over a million anyway. I'd sign him for 750 thousand.

WHY??? 2nd round players drafted at where he was drafted got $442,000 last year. $711,000 is what many 2nd year 2nd round picks get. I'm sure the Simons would rather save the $269,000 of their money you are trying to give away. It might come in handy to help sign another player.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    WHY??? 2nd round players drafted at where he was drafted got $442,000 last year. $711,000 is what many 2nd year 2nd round picks get. I'm sure the Simons would rather save the $269,000 of their money you are trying to give away. It might come in handy to help sign another player.
    Teams can not offer three year deals with the minimum salary exception.

Sometimes teams offer contracts above the minimum to 2nd rounders in order to lockout those rookies for 3 years and that way acquiring "Bird rights" in that player (meaning they can later exceed the salary cap to sign that player without having to use the MLE or another exception). If the Pacers really believe they have a steal in Price, a 3 years contract is the way to go.

Mood

Excellent point. Some people just throw around numbers and are not sure what they mean. Price did pretty decent at summer league, but the only way I can see him making the team is if Jack is let go. Even then, he will have to battle others out in the summer league for a roster spot.

We paid Maceo around 2 million last year and he wasn't worthy of that much for what he did here and Josh was paid around 700 thousand which led me to believe that he should get the 700 thousand. We'd be the only team who would probably want him in the league so I guess we can sign him to at most 500 thousand I think.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by TroyMurphy3 View Post
    We paid Maceo around 2 million last year and he wasn't worthy of that much for what he did here and Josh was paid around 700 thousand which led me to believe that he should get the 700 thousand. We'd be the only team who would probably want him in the league so I guess we can sign him to at most 500 thousand I think.
    So use two bad contracts to justify giving a 3rd bad contract; excellent logic.

If you were going to buy a basketball and it was 10$ at Dicks and 5$ at Wal Mart would you purchase the one at Wal Mart and give the cashier 10$ because that is what it sold for at Dicks? It makes no sense to overpay for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post

If you were going to buy a basketball and it was 10$ at Dicks and 5$ at Wal Mart would you purchase the one at Wal Mart and give the cashier 10$ because that is what it sold for at Dicks? It makes no sense to overpay for anything.
    This kid will just be happy that he's paid by an NBA team so we'll see what happens and worthy he is of being paid by us. At most 500,000 is not bad. Maybe 250,000 at least.

Mood

It looks like AJ may be getting better odds of making the team if Toronto signs Jack to a high offer sheet.

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post

Is it a Wilson, or a Spalding? Makes all the difference!