From the IndyStar.com website
    Jeff Rabjohns
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...ce+with+Pacers

=====================================

A.J. Price appreciates chance with Pacers

He faced health issues, off-court mistake in college

By Jeff Rabjohns
    jeff.rabjohns@indystar.com

As a second-round NBA draft pick, A.J. Price has a challenge to make the Indiana Pacers.

But that's just a basketball challenge. He has faced far more.

As a college freshman, he suffered a brain hemorrhage that threatened his life.

Price had to sit out the next season after an arrest involving stolen laptop computers, an incident that strained his parents' marriage.

In March 2008, he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee before recovering to play his senior season and helping lead Connecticut to the Final Four.

"It was very difficult. When I went through a lot of different things, there were times I wasn't sure I'd even have this opportunity to be drafted," said Price, taken by the Pacers with the 52nd pick Thursday night.

"Every thing I went through, I wanted to bounce back. (Thursday) meant a lot for me, probably more than for a lot of other people."

Price entered college as one of the most touted guards in the 2004 high school class, ranked with the likes of current NBA players Sebastian Telfair, Rajon Rondo and Kyle Lowry.

In October of his freshman year, he was hospitalized. On his 18th birthday, he was on a respirator, and his parents, Tony and Inga, wondered whether their son would live.

"It's your worst nightmare coming true, and you're actually living it," Tony Price said. "You're trying to stay calm and collected, but you're not sure what's going to happen at the end of the nightmare."

Price was diagnosed with arteriovenous malformation, an abnormal tangling of blood vessels in the brain. He was successfully treated with radiosurgery. He would live. He knew that. But play again? No one was certain.

"I don't think I understood the blessing I had to still be alive," Price said. "I was kind of bitter about it. I wasn't going to be playing and there was no timetable.

"I wasn't really in the right mind-set and that led to my laptop situation. I didn't go and steal anything, but I made the poor decision of trying to sell what I knew was stolen."

His arrest came in August 2005 when stolen laptops were found in his room. He received probation, was suspended for the 2005-06 season and was out of school for a semester.

During that time, his father made him work on a construction crew.

"I was really (mad) at him," Tony said. "Other people were telling me to get through it, which we did. The reality of working, not playing at all and being out of school, he responded well to it.

"He's showing people that was one incident and not what he's all about."

Price saw what his actions did to his family, especially publicly. His dad acknowledges it took months for him to forgive his son.

Price's parents work in the insurance industry in the New York area. Price was a prep basketball star, leading Amityville (N.Y.) High School to two state titles, averaging 28.5 points as a senior.

His parents were respected professionals, his father a member of Penn's 1979 Final Four team.

Now the heralded son was suspended from college, back home, his name making national news for all the wrong reasons.

"When I got sent home and saw the pain on my mother's face and the embarrassment I caused the family name, I realized what I had at stake," Price said. "I vowed to my family that I would make amends, and I spent the next three years doing it."

Price, who is one foreign language class short of a degree in political science, played three seasons without incident.

For many basketball players, overcoming a torn ACL would be the main theme in a story of overcoming adversity. But for A.J. Price, that was the smallest hurdle.

Additional Facts
    Scouting A.J. Price
    • Position: Point guard.
    • Size: 6-2, 181.
    • Skill package: Considered an outstanding on-court leader who understands the game and excels in the pick-and-roll, which is a major part of NBA offenses. Known for making big plays when needed. Was the Most Outstanding Player of the West Region in the 2009 NCAA Tournament in leading Connecticut to the Final Four. Shooting touch is a question; he hit 41 percent for his college career.
    • Numbers: Averaged 14.7 points, 4.7 assists and shot 41 percent as a senior.
    • What the Pacers like: "He is very good in the pick-and-roll. He keeps his head up, keeps the dribble low," team president Larry Bird said Friday. "He had a great run at the end of the season, played with great players, and Connecticut plays against great competition. We're looking forward to getting him in here and seeing what he's all about."
    • Worth knowing: His father, Tony, played on Penn's 1979 Final Four team.

=====================================

I'm interested in seeing him in the preseason. If he's better than Diener, this was a win.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Default Re: A.J. Price appreciates chance with Pacers

I like that he majored in political science.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One class away would drive me crazy.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Would be nice if he panned out, but honestly I'm not expecting that to happen.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't expect much out of a 2nd rounder in a weak draft.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Usually takes a year to get back fully from an ACL, right?

If we keep Jack, which I fully expect unless he gets a ridiculous offer (I could see Portland doing this), the only chance I see Price sticking is if Tinsley is bought out or Diener is moved (not expecting such).

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm just glad he isn't another international big man.

I'll be pulling for A.J. to make the team.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I'm just glad he isn't another international big man.

I'll be pulling for A.J. to make the team.
    Won't be too hard considering how we have lots of spots and no money left to fill them.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

100% REAL, 0% OF THE TIME the jaddler's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

i hope he gets and stays healthy....and did anyone catch that fact that he stole laptop computers....hopefully he doesnt cause issue's for us!!!
    I CANT SPELL!

THERE ARE THOSE THAT HAVE AND THOSE THAT WILL!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by the jaddler View Post
    i hope he gets and stays healthy....and did anyone catch that fact that he stole laptop computers....hopefully he doesnt cause issue's for us!!!
    Just to clarify:

"I wasn't really in the right mind-set and that led to my laptop situation. I didn't go and steal anything, but I made the poor decision of trying to sell what I knew was stolen."
    He didn't steal any laptops. He tried to sell them after they were stolen.

Mood

I would really like to see the kid make it as well. It may be just the case of the good kid doing something stupid from a momentary lapse of judgement. I look at it from the point of view what did he do from then on out. The kid continued to work hard and did what he needed to do to succeed. That should count for something when reviewing this kid.

Quote Originally Posted by tbabyy924 View Post
    Just to clarify:

He didn't steal any laptops. He tried to sell them after they were stolen.

He didn't do that either.

His roomate, Marcus Williams tried to sell them. (That's how he got caught)

AJ was gonna get a cut of the money for keeping his mouth shut about the laptops being in their room. Really stupid move on his part. But it was one incident four years ago. He's a really good kid who just did something dumb.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jaychaser For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    I don't expect much out of a 2nd rounder in a weak draft.
    I wonder if New England expected much out of Tom Brady.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by HCPacerIN View Post
    I wonder if New England expected much out of Tom Brady.
    Probably not. He was an anomoly.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by jaychaser View Post
    He didn't do that either.

His roomate, Marcus Williams tried to sell them. (That's how he got caught)

AJ was gonna get a cut of the money for keeping his mouth shut about the laptops being in their room. Really stupid move on his part. But it was one incident four years ago. He's a really good kid who just did something dumb.
    ?

AJ quote From tbabyy924 post:

Looks exactly like he fully admits to trying to sell the stolen laptops.
    Last edited by Brad8888; 06-28-2009 at 01:03 PM. Reason: correcting tbabyy924 username

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    ?

AJ quote From tbabyy924 post:

Looks exactly like he fully admits to trying to sell the stolen laptops.
    Well he got caught with them in his room. Marcus tried to pawn them off which was how he got caught. *Which is even dumber. Men's college basketball is the biggest thing in connecticut, everyone would have known who he was and that he was a suspect in the stolen laptops case*. Maybe, just because he didn't actually sell them, or try to, but was going to get a cut of the money anyway, he considers that trying to sell them.
    Last edited by jaychaser; 06-28-2009 at 05:27 PM.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    Probably not. He was an anomoly.
    No need for name calling. Admins, take action.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Banned
    Mood

If he can be Diener's replacement as our third string point guard he'll be a decent pickup at #52. Send him down to the D-League for a season. Give the Mad Ants' fans something to look forward to.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

"He's showing people that was one incident and not what he's all about."

Price saw what his actions did to his family, especially publicly. His dad acknowledges it took months for him to forgive his son.

Price's parents work in the insurance industry in the New York area. Price was a prep basketball star, leading Amityville (N.Y.) High School to two state titles, averaging 28.5 points as a senior.

His parents were respected professionals, his father a member of Penn's 1979 Final Four team.

Now the heralded son was suspended from college, back home, his name making national news for all the wrong reasons.

"When I got sent home and saw the pain on my mother's face and the embarrassment I caused the family name, I realized what I had at stake," Price said. "I vowed to my family that I would make amends, and I spent the next three years doing it."

Price, who is one foreign language class short of a degree in political science, played three seasons without incident.
    I like this. I didn't know what to think of him on draft night.

I wish him luck, and wouldn't mind watching Deiner become expendable.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

He runs a floor better than Diener IMO. He was one of my personal faves starting last season, though I've always targeted him as a 2nd round pick (2 years running in the recruiting thread). I think I still favor getting Mills over Price, but either one works for me at that spot. I'd totally forgot he was on the board when they picked him and had an "oh yeah" moment.

He's inconsistent, but when he's on he's one of your top guys (at UConn). He was much more important to UC than Thabeet IMO, just like Sam Young was more important than Blair at Pitt.

Good handles, sets the floor up well, solid set of passes, pretty good vision. Nice balance of pass-first and score-first when he takes games over.

Like his story and have always liked his personality. Of all the late picks ever, this is probably the one I was most familiar with (non-Purdue guys that is).

From the limited highlights that I have sen, I don't think Price will make it in the NBA. He just doesn't look to have the quickness, explosion, penetrating ability that is needed ffor this type of player. Unless he is a great shooter or is an incredible passer - I don't expect him to beat out Diener

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    From the limited highlights that I have sen, I don't think Price will make it in the NBA. He just doesn't look to have the quickness, explosion, penetrating ability that is needed ffor this type of player. Unless he is a great shooter or is an incredible passer - I don't expect him to beat out Diener
    Because when I think "Diener," I think "quickness, explosion, and penetrating ability."
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Because when I think "Diener," I think "quickness, explosion, and penetrating ability."
    No, but he knows the sytem, is very well liked with his teammates, is good at running the team. Plus he has a guaranteed contract - so I see Diener beating out AJ

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    I like his new nickname.

http://theblowtorch.blogspot.com/200...-draftees.html
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    No, but he knows the sytem, is very well liked with his teammates, is good at running the team. Plus he has a guaranteed contract - so I see Diener beating out AJ
    Agreed for the upcoming season. I'd sign him to a two-year deal and stuff him in the D-league for a season.

Diener is absurdly expensive for a third-string PG, so I don't see him in blue and gold in 2010-11. Especially if O'Brien is gone.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you