Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: Hansbrough's Role with the Pacers

  1. #1
    Brains of the Operation.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    On the Westside
    Posts
    154

    Default Hansbrough's Role with the Pacers

    There have been heavily mixed reviews of the Hansbrough pick in this years draft. I think that Hansbrough brings quite a bit of value for the 13th pick. How does he fit with the Pacers?

    It seems to be general consensus among fans that Jeff Foster is a valuable player for this franchise. He is on the downside of his career with back issues and age. Tyler will be a great replacement moving forward. I really hope that the Pacers keep Foster around this season so that he may provide Hansbrough a mentor in developing what the Pacers need.

    Jeff has always been our scrapper and rebounder. Tyler already possesses these qualities. However, he does bring a much needed dimension that Jeff has not been able to provide. When Jeff is on the floor, his defender can sag off and provide support from the weak side (not to mention clogging the lane). This occurs because Jeff has no shot outside of 5 ft. They will have to respect Tyler's 15 ft. jumper. You say we have Troy murphy to play this role and you are absolutely correct. However, when Troy and Jeff are on the floor at the same time this completely disappears. He gives us the versatility to match up with smaller lineups.

    IMO there was no one at 13 that would bring more intangibles to this lineup than Tyler. He is not going to put us over the top, rather, he will provide a very solid base for which we continue to build upon. The player that will help raise our level the most will have to come from a trade because it is very difficult to attract impact players via free agency.

    Is Tyler the answer....absolutely not. Will he be worth the 13th pick given the nature of this draft....absolutely.

  2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to littlerichard54 For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,577

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough's Role with the Pacers

    I've moved onto to the "acceptance" stage of TH and been thinking. I get the sense that TH will do all those "little things" that the common fan does not notice but are considered "important" that improves the team overall. I associate it to when Dunleavy, Murphy and Foster are on the floor....I think that Bird really values players with a strong fundamental understanding of the game. I'm gonna guess that we will see similiar comments about TH about his game in his career where we will see this aspect of his game stand out.

    Tyler won't ever be considered a super talented Athletic Beast....but he won't be that type of Player where he will be in the wrong place at the wrong time ( something that we all hate ).....which is really important when it comes to our Team Defense where you have to understand what role you have. I know a strong fundamental understanding of the Game ( aka high basketball IQ ) isn't flashy as having the ability to jump out of the arena.....but IMHO, it's an underrated skill that many people forget.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  4. #3
    Brains of the Operation.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    On the Westside
    Posts
    154

    Default Re: Hansbrough's Role with the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've moved onto to the "acceptance" stage of TH and been thinking. I get the sense that TH will do all those "little things" that the common fan does not notice but are considered "important" that improves the team overall. I associate it to when Dunleavy, Murphy and Foster are on the floor....I think that Bird really values players with a strong fundamental understanding of the game. I'm gonna guess that we will see similiar comments about TH about his game in his career where we will see this aspect of his game stand out.

    Tyler won't ever be considered a super talented Athletic Beast....but he won't be that type of Player where he will be in the wrong place at the wrong time ( something that we all hate ).....which is really important when it comes to our Team Defense where you have to understand what role you have. I know a strong fundamental understanding of the Game ( aka high basketball IQ ) isn't flashy as having the ability to jump out of the arena.....but IMHO, it's an underrated skill that many people forget.
    I agree with everything you just said. I think there is one thing that we take from granted with TH. He takes the intensity level up a notch and makes everyone on the floor better when he is out there. McBob definitely tries to scrap, but he is in a completely different league in regards to what he brings to the team.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,607

    Default Re: Hansbrough's Role with the Pacers

    I don't really agree.

    Hansbrough, while providing an energy and toughness that we also expect from Foster, isn't close to the same type of player. In fact, McRoberts is far closer to Foster than Hansbrough is.

    I look at Hansbrough and think David West. West has a very potent mid range game supported by some solid skills in the paint. He's known as a hard worker and committed to defense. He's a solid free throw shooter, though doesn't get there as often as other bigs. He is as average athletically as you get in the NBA, but it works for him. Hansbrough is considerably quicker and stronger. Also, they are virtually the same size and entered the NBA at the same age.

    Hansbrough's top end, in my opinion, is West. That wouldn't be too bad.

    I think they are similar players and it is interesting how they compare athletically, as so many were saying Hansbrough doesn't have the athleticism in this league.

    Here are the draft profiles, showing measurements, on both players.
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/David-West-4823/
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...ansbrough-288/

  6. #5
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,844

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough's Role with the Pacers

    I'm not in the "Hansbrough is not athletic" camp. I don't think he's Vince Carter by any means, but he's not without athleticism.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Brains of the Operation.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    On the Westside
    Posts
    154

    Default Re: Hansbrough's Role with the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozwalt72 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't really agree.

    Hansbrough, while providing an energy and toughness that we also expect from Foster, isn't close to the same type of player. In fact, McRoberts is far closer to Foster than Hansbrough is.

    I look at Hansbrough and think David West. West has a very potent mid range game supported by some solid skills in the paint. He's known as a hard worker and committed to defense. He's a solid free throw shooter, though doesn't get there as often as other bigs. He is as average athletically as you get in the NBA, but it works for him. Hansbrough is considerably quicker and stronger. Also, they are virtually the same size and entered the NBA at the same age.

    Hansbrough's top end, in my opinion, is West. That wouldn't be too bad.

    I think they are similar players and it is interesting how they compare athletically, as so many were saying Hansbrough doesn't have the athleticism in this league.

    Here are the draft profiles, showing measurements, on both players.
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/David-West-4823/
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...ansbrough-288/

    Good analogy. That is kind of what I meant about keeping Jeff around for a year. He can be multi-dimensional and really develop both with Jeff's help. I think that will have to be Tyler's niche on this team. Having Jeff around to teach him that will go a long way in establishing this role. Just my opinion.

    If Tyler can be a David West type player than I say heck yes he was worth the 13th pick.

  9. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Hansbrough's Role with the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by littlerichard54 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good analogy. That is kind of what I meant about keeping Jeff around for a year. He can be multi-dimensional and really develop both with Jeff's help. I think that will have to be Tyler's niche on this team. Having Jeff around to teach him that will go a long way in establishing this role. Just my opinion.

    If Tyler can be a David West type player than I say heck yes he was worth the 13th pick.
    If Tyler can be a Jeff Foster type player I say heck yes he was worth.

  10. #8

    Default Re: Hansbrough's Role with the Pacers

    I think he could also develp a game similar to Battier. That would make him a potential steal at #13.

  11. #9

    Default Re: Hansbrough's Role with the Pacers

    If he can be a David West player, then he is a great pick at 13.

    No one has ever said how he is at setting picks and how is his "D". How are these aspects of his game?

  12. #10
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: Hansbrough's Role with the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleKat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he could also develp a game similar to Battier. That would make him a potential steal at #13.
    Please explain in what ways you see his game being similar to Battier.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  13. #11
    The Dude Abides MrSparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,375

    Default Re: Hansbrough's Role with the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Please explain in what ways you see his game being similar to Battier.
    As if the David West comparison is 20x better :P.

    I guess they're both hard workers?
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

  14. #12
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: Hansbrough's Role with the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSparko View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As if the David West comparison is 20x better :P.
    Heh. That wasn't there when I posted.

    At least West plays roughly the same position.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  15. #13
    Smooth tadscout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Greenfield
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,838
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough's Role with the Pacers

    I read somewhere (but for the life of me I can't find it again) that Bird says that Tyler reminds him of Dave Cowens...


    I can see that...
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

  16. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: Hansbrough's Role with the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by tadscout View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I read somewhere (but for the life of me I can't find it again) that Bird says that Tyler reminds him of Dave Cowens...




    I can see that...
    This article mentions Cowens:

    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns
    Bill

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Reeder For This Useful Post:


  18. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,607

    Default Re: Hansbrough's Role with the Pacers

    I use the David West comparison because of Hansbrough's potential offensively to develop and use a midrange game like West. Not that I think Hansbrough will be as good as West.

  19. #16
    Smooth tadscout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Greenfield
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,838
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough's Role with the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by Reeder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Thanks!!! I knew I read it somewhere
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

  20. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Your Dreams.
    Posts
    323

    Default Re: Hansbrough's Role with the Pacers

    I could see Hansbrough cracking the starting lineup before the season is done.. But most likely will be one of the first guys off the bench.

  21. #18
    The Dude Abides MrSparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,375

    Default Re: Hansbrough's Role with the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozwalt72 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I use the David West comparison because of Hansbrough's potential offensively to develop and use a midrange game like West. Not that I think Hansbrough will be as good as West.
    My apologies.
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

  22. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Woodside,NY
    Age
    33
    Posts
    281

    Default Re: Hansbrough's Role with the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozwalt72 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't really agree.

    Hansbrough, while providing an energy and toughness that we also expect from Foster, isn't close to the same type of player. In fact, McRoberts is far closer to Foster than Hansbrough is.

    I look at Hansbrough and think David West. West has a very potent mid range game supported by some solid skills in the paint. He's known as a hard worker and committed to defense. He's a solid free throw shooter, though doesn't get there as often as other bigs. He is as average athletically as you get in the NBA, but it works for him. Hansbrough is considerably quicker and stronger. Also, they are virtually the same size and entered the NBA at the same age.

    Hansbrough's top end, in my opinion, is West. That wouldn't be too bad.

    I think they are similar players and it is interesting how they compare athletically, as so many were saying Hansbrough doesn't have the athleticism in this league.

    Here are the draft profiles, showing measurements, on both players.
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/David-West-4823/
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...ansbrough-288/

    I think David West is a great example of a player with similar skills to Tyler. West is probably a better jumpshooter while Tyler is more physical and likes to play at a fast pace.I think Hnsbrough is going to be one of the best big men in the league in transition and will score points just because he's active around the basket which is why I have compared him to a David lee. And while its more likely Hansbrough maxes out as a 13pts 8bd guy if he reaches a David West level of production then we hit a home run.

  23. #20

    Default Re: Hansbrough's Role with the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho T View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I could see Hansbrough cracking the starting lineup before the season is done.. But most likely will be one of the first guys off the bench.
    Kenny Smith predicted this; I just hope it happens because we've just traded Murphy. If Hansbrough "overtakes" Murphy in playing time, Troy's value will be diminished (as Ford's probably has from his late-season demotion).

  24. #21
    pacer fan since 88-89 Mr_Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis/Noblesville
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,666

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough's Role with the Pacers

    I know people might scratch their head at this, but I think he can might be an energy guy, maybe like an upgraded David Lee hopefully. I could be wrong though
    Help us Paul George......you're our only hope

  25. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,312

    Default Re: Hansbrough's Role with the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho T View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I could see Hansbrough cracking the starting lineup before the season is done.. But most likely will be one of the first guys off the bench.

    Wow. I cannot see that at all.

  26. #23
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Hansbrough's Role with the Pacers

    You know..if Hansbrough is starting before year end, the far and away most likely reason is because Hibbert's been benched.

  27. #24
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Hansbrough's Role with the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You know..if Hansbrough is starting before year end, the far and away most likely reason is because Hibbert's been benched.
    And which one gets to be set up for failure at starting C, Murphy, or Tyler?

  28. #25
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Hansbrough's Role with the Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And which one gets to be set up for failure at starting C, Murphy, or Tyler?
    I didn't say it was a good plan. I just find the possibilities that Murphy will be traded or beaten out by Hansbrough very remote.

    On the other hand, Hibbert's hold on the starting job is tenuous.

Similar Threads

  1. Pacers Destroy Thunder, 117-109, Slim Playoff Hopes Still Alive
    By rocksballer58 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-06-2009, 04:23 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-21-2008, 09:54 AM
  3. How The Pacers Got Where They Are
    By MillerTime in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-01-2008, 06:15 PM
  4. Wages of Wins Pacers Preview
    By OakMoses in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-28-2008, 01:33 PM
  5. USA Today Pacers update
    By Speed in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 09-18-2008, 11:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •