Thread: Why Price and Not...

Default Why Price and Not...

Ok so I know a lot of poeple arent high on Tyler Hansbrough and while he wasnt who I was hoping for I am "OK" with the pick and think he is a nice piece to the puzzle. I think he will fill a role on our team and truly dont think there was a player there who was going to be another "Star" peice to our contending puzzle so why not take a guy who is a potential cog.

Anyway back to the subject. AJ Price!!! Are you serious??? I know a lot of people wanted a PG in this draft but that was strictly because none of the ones we have right now are the long term answer (possibly Jack) The last thing we needed was another career back-up PG.....AND lets just entertain the idea that we did need that why not go for a guy like Patty Mills ? Now lets come back to reality and ask ourselves why the hell we didnt go with Dionte Christmas who would have filled a need at 2nd unit SG and really has the potential to be something special ? I was ecstatic to see Christmas had fallen to us aaaaand the Indiana Pacers select........AJ Price @#$$@$@$%@$

Default Re: Why Price and Not...

Because Larry likes guys who already have a good resume. Not ones with "potential" or projects. And he likes winners.

AJ price was an All American before the knee injury. And he was the best player on a final four team. In fact, he went much much lower than his talent warrants. What has Patty Mills done?

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jaychaser For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wylder1324 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok so I know a lot of poeple arent high on Tyler Hansbrough and while he wasnt who I was hoping for I am "OK" with the pick and think he is a nice piece to the puzzle. I think he will fill a role on our team and truly dont think there was a player there who was going to be another "Star" peice to our contending puzzle so why not take a guy who is a potential cog.

Anyway back to the subject. AJ Price!!! Are you serious??? I know a lot of people wanted a PG in this draft but that was strictly because none of the ones we have right now are the long term answer (possibly Jack) The last thing we needed was another career back-up PG.....AND lets just entertain the idea that we did need that why not go for a guy like Patty Mills ? Now lets come back to reality and ask ourselves why the hell we didnt go with Dionte Christmas who would have filled a need at 2nd unit SG and really has the potential to be something special ? I was ecstatic to see Christmas had fallen to us aaaaand the Indiana Pacers select........AJ Price @#$$@$@$%@$
    too be honest. if we REALLY needed a point guard at that pick. we couldve AT LEAST taken TYRESE RICE. we even worked him out. hes simply the best scoring pg in the draft, even in front of teague, i believe. he tore up ty lawson, teague, mcclinton, and many other guys that got drafted. def. another guy that would be worth a summer league invite. hes proven over and over again he can get it done, so its not like hes a project.

Quote Originally Posted by jaychaser View Post
    Because Larry likes guys who already have a good resume. Not ones with "potential" or projects. And he likes winners.

AJ price was an All American before the knee injury. And he was the best player on a final four team. In fact, he went much much lower than his talent warrants. What has Patty Mills done?
    patty mills did pretty darn good in a tournament MUCH better than the NCAA, called the olympics.

The one game I saw was a tournament game and he was horrible. He wouldn't stop driving and taking bad shots or turning it over. The team they were playing was closely guarding him and then would collapse when he drove and he didn't adjust what he was doing. I remember thinking at the time, this guy is horrible and doesn't get and he's costing them the game.

It's a small sampling, but it is what I saw.

Sounds like he's very good at the high pick and roll which is a huge staple in the NBA now and he's a streaky shooter who can get really hot. So who knows.

He's a cheap roster guy at worst, unless he doesn't even merit that. At best, it sounds like if he fully recovers physically they may have something.

No risk/some reward possible proposition. I'll take that with a late 2nd rounder.

However, it wouldn't shock me if he doesn't make the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    The one game I saw was a tournament game and he was horrible. He wouldn't stop driving and taking bad shots or turning it over. The team they were playing was closely guarding him and then would collapse when he drove and he didn't adjust what he was doing..
    in that case, he fits right in...

Quote Originally Posted by IndyProdigy View Post
    patty mills did pretty darn good in a tournament MUCH better than the NCAA, called the olympics.
    International players are risky. Especially when you've only seen a small sampling of them.

anyway, the driving thing..*sigh* Calhoun's prehistoric offense... If Calhoun hadn't wanted A.J. to do that, A.J. would have gotten his butt put on the bench for a minute, then thrown back in and changed what he was doing. (Because that's how Calhoun works. You make one mistake, you get put on the bench and screamed at for 45 seconds, and then you go back in the game and do exactly what Calhoun told you to do) Bottom line was MSU decided they were going to put their full efforts into stopping A.J. *not giving a crap about the #2 pick Hasheem Thabeet, because as I said, A.J. was the best player on that team* And Calhoun hadn't come up with a way to counter it.

Same thing happened with the six overtime game. Uconn had a chance to win that game at the buzzer, three times. And three different times a timeout would be called, the ball would go in A.J.'s hands, and he'd take a highly contested NBA range three point shot. First two times, I got annoyed with Price, by the third I knew who was telling him to do that...
    Last edited by jaychaser; 06-26-2009 at 03:27 PM.

Looking at the talent in this year's draft, I think I would've just called off the 2nd round entirely if I was David Stern.

Quote Originally Posted by jaychaser View Post

What has Patty Mills done?
    Played in the Olympics like Rubio did.

Price before the knee injury late in his Jr year was shooting 48%fg. Without the knee inj. he prob. goes first rnd and not to us. He could be a sleeper easily.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Played in the Olympics like Jasikevicius did.
    Fixed.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Cant really compare Sarunas to Patty Mills. It was no secert Sarunas biggest obstacle would be his athletic ability in the NBA. No one is worried about that with Mills. The guy is lightning quick with passing ability. I Was expecting more input on Christmas though c'mon the guy would have fit in great here.

Cant really compare Sarunas to Patty Mills. It was no secert Sarunas biggest obstacle would be his athletic ability in the NBA. No one is worried about that with Mills. The guy is lightning quick with passing ability. I Was expecting more input on Christmas though c'mon the guy would have fit in great here.
    The Gnome has flexed his cyber might and closed your other thread. Obey thou Geekness!!

(Adm. note: This poster just got a custom made infraction from me [able] for showing up an admin, beware that it will only get worse, I ran out of patience)

I'm glad we didn't draft D.C. at 52 like you said you wished we would have. We probably wouldn't have been able to get a steal in price otherwise. I wouldn't mind bringing him into camp, but I see him as nothing more than a spot up shooter in this league That weak pull-up he would do over people in college will get put into the 10th row in the NBA. I dont think he has adequate quickness to create his own shot.

The pacers needed a floor general and I believe they got that in Price.

Price according to JOB and also Dakich is very good and has a real chance to play. JOB said that in the pre draft camp Price was holding his own against some very good players and was not even on the Pacers radar until after that. Dakich said that Price while playing for Uconn came into assembly hall and outplayed everyone including Thabeet 1.5 yrs ago in a pre-big-ten game against what was considered a good Indiana team.
    Last edited by aceace; 06-26-2009 at 06:40 PM.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

My only thing on Price is his past...after working so hard (and still working) to rid ourselves of 'character' issue players, why bring in Price?

Quote Originally Posted by kellogg View Post
    My only thing on Price is his past...after working so hard (and still working) to rid ourselves of 'character' issue players, why bring in Price?
    We just drafted the ultimate milk drinker. Psycho T more then cancels out Price who might not even make the team.
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

Quote Originally Posted by kellogg View Post
    Because you can't do away with everyone with any sort of blip. Some people make mistakes.

... and ones on non-guaranteed contracts are easy to get rid of.

ye...why is AJ? i will take Lester Hudson

AJ pre-injury I liked......just not sure he still has the athleticism post-injury to compete at this level. Dont get me wrong I hope he can......just have my doubts

Quote Originally Posted by aceace View Post
    Price according to JOB and also Dakich is very good and has a real chance to play. JOB said that in the pre draft camp Price was holding his own against some very good players and was not even on the Pacers radar until after that. Dakich said that Price while playing for Uconn came into assembly hall and outplayed everyone including Thabeet 1.5 yrs ago in a pre-big-ten game against what was considered a good Indiana team.
    He outplayed Thabeet up until they left school together. Only exception being the first half of A.J.'s senior year, in which he really hadn't come off the mental aspects of tearing the ACL.

Bigrich,

I am def warming somewhat to Price however I think your completly wrong about Christmas. He is def predominantly an outside shooter, but maybe you only caught an of game or something because this kid can most def create his own shot off the dribble. Im not saying he is the quickest cat around with the most solid handle but he is much more than just a spot up shooter. Do some searches on youtube or find some game coverage vids. Hes at least worth a look.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

For the few that follow the Prospect threads, I really perked up to Price last year and saw him as a sleeper. I think he won Big East of the Month at one point even and in most BE games the announcers would at some point mention him as the top guard in the conference.

However as the season wore on I cooled to him because he is inconsistent. Not just shooting but his whole game comes and goes for some reason.

Then again, when he's on he's really on and he can take over the floor and get things done. This does not mean calling his own shot BTW; I'm talking good fundamental NBA passing.

He stayed in school rather than go low due to the injury (or not at all) and ended up with a similar season this year. He's definitely a guy that you end up noticing in a game when he makes some big time play.

The issues - character, but he's done well to put that aside and in speaking on the subject I think he shows maturity.

How do you keep him? If you can make Tins and one of the other PGs go away for free, sure, but until then he doesn't have a roster spot to play his way into.

I like Mills more, I think he's a better leader and a more creative setup PG (creating passing opportunities). But then on the flipside I've seen Mills take a ton of shots whereas Price is far less likely to get derailed like that.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 06-26-2009 at 11:05 PM.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

1/22/2009, Recruiting thread
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    AJ Price is back up to his old tricks that had me liking him last year, at least in this game. He got hot just around this time last year but then faded. He's not a top 10, but in the 20's I'd draft him for sure. I think you can count on him to be what you expect more than Thabeet, but obviously without the upside.

He's a little bit like Diener in his scoring style and ball control passing. He does have a few niftier passes in his bag than Travis does however.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Brains of the Operation.

Bigrich,

I am def warming somewhat to Price however I think your completly wrong about Christmas. He is def predominantly an outside shooter, but maybe you only caught an of game or something because this kid can most def create his own shot off the dribble. Im not saying he is the quickest cat around with the most solid handle but he is much more than just a spot up shooter. Do some searches on youtube or find some game coverage vids. Hes at least worth a look.
    I am pretty indifferent about AJ Price, but I do have to agree with the big guy on Christmas. Price is rather unspectacular, but he can be solid. Christmas is a talented playa and can def. shoot the rock. He kind of reminds me of an Allan Houston. If he is constantly moving he would be great with the catch and shoot. Probably not a starter in the league, but could def. play a valuable role off the bench.

That being said, why not bring him in for a look. With the Dunleavy situation and Marquis gone we could def. use a body.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to littlerichard54 For This Useful Post:

Welp looks like my Dionte Christmas pipedream is even less likely now, Phili just added him to there summer league roster...