Thread: Trading Ford

Default Trading Ford

This can be moved to the trade forum if need be.

I've been thinking about it, and I can only come up with 10 teams that might be reasonably interested in TJ Ford. Some of these teams are stretches, I know.

Eastern Conference: Detroit, Philadelphia, New York, Toronto, Atlanta
    Western Conference: Houston, Dallas, Memphis, LA Clippers, Sacramento

I think trading Ford is going to be very hard to do. I also think that fact impacted our draft strategy. If we had drafted a PG in the first round and re-signed Jarret Jack (which I believe Bird has every intention of doing), we'd very likely have had 5 PG's on the roster going into the season.

I don't have time to come up with a bunch of scenarios right now, but I wanted to get some discussion going on the realistic possibilities of trading Ford.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Default Re: Trading Ford

I've been thinking about this as well. It's difficult because it's hard to find a team that a) has a need for Ford and is willing to pay him $8M to most likely come off the bench and b) can give the Pacers something worthwhile in return.

Here's one I came up with:

Indiana trades, Dallas receives: T.J. Ford
    Dallas trades, Indiana receives: Jerry Stackhouse

This is essentially a trade for Stackhouse's expiring contract. He would most likely never suit up for the Pacers and would be bought out, waived, or retire soon after the trade. Or maybe his contract is stashed for a possible trade deadline move. So this is essentially a sequel to the Shawne Williams for Eddie Jones trade from last year.

For the Pacers, this makes Jack the clear-cut starting PG. This also opens up minutes for Travis Diener and possibly A.J. Price, if he makes the team. Maybe Dallas throws in a 2nd round pick or something. For a team looking to cut costs, the expiring contact is nice.

For Dallas, perhaps they do it because TJ Ford would be a good, though pricey at $8M, PG coming off the bench. If for some reason Kidd doesn't re-sign with Dallas, he's an adequate starter. At least until he eventually gets replaced by his backup in a year or two. For a team trying to win now, it's important for Dallas to get players that can contribute and get rid of those, such as Stackhouse, who can't anymore.

If this trade is made, Marquis Daniels' option would most likely be picked up to help fill out the roster and provide a solid backup for Rush and Granger.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If this trade is made, Marquis Daniels' option would most likely be picked up to help fill out the roster and provide a solid backup for Rush and Granger.
    No way do the Pacers pick up Quis' option regardless. We're not going to pay him 7 million to be a backup when we can acquire a 2 guard for a fraction of the cost on the open market that offers similar production.

They may not exercise the option and try and re-sign him to a cheaper deal, but no way do we pay Quis 7 million next year if we don't have to.
    Last edited by Smoothdave1; 06-26-2009 at 02:40 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Smoothdave1 For This Useful Post:

I'm obviously not high on aj price. i doubt he will even make the team, especially if we return with the same guards from last year. its apparent that the pacers are trying to trade Ford, and i know the pacers, many ppl on this board, including me, were high on Eric Maynor.

It is my understanding that the jazz were also high on hansbrough. im not sure the pacers are sold on sending him away. but he could be part of the trade. this scenario could happen in many different ways..but i can see any of these guys becoming involved and maybe a 3rd team added. to make it a decent looking trade.

jazz send: maynor, millsap/boozer(DEPENDING on contract issues)

pacers send: ford, murphy/foster/hansbrough

im assuming that both millsap and boozer are asking for too much for the jazz to pick up boozers option AND sign millsap back. so i can see either a possibility.

NOW, thats not my ACTUAL trade proposal, im just saying that these guys and maybe some cash sent either way could make it possible if there are some adjustments made here and there.

And as I posted on the main forum, Quis' option was declined. No surprise. He may resign, but it will definitely be for a cheaper deal.

What would ya'll think of a sign and trade for Marvin Williams. Marvin, though he plays primarily sf with the hawks could play the four for us. I'm not sure what Marvin would demand on the free market, but I'm guessing somewhere around 7-8 million.

Atlanta could use Joe Johnson as their starting 3, then Crawford could play sg and it would prevent them from over paying Bibby.

I like the Ford for Stackhouse deal. What do you think of trying to include Tinsley for Matt Carol ? I know I know Im about to be crucified because Carroll is another slow white kid who cant defend but still the guy is 6'6" can shoot it, makes less than Jamaal and at the very least can contribute something to our team as opposed to Jamaal doing nothing. Not even sure Dallas would go along with this but who knows, Cuban seems to be a high risk high reward kind of guy, and he has the $ im sure to work out a buyout if Jamaal doesnt look to pan out once he gets there. Ford, Tinsley and Barea woudlnt be a bad PG rotation if Kidd doesnt return (reports are that he might not)

100% REAL, 0% OF THE TIME the jaddler's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thumbs up Re: Trading Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Wylder1324 View Post
    I like the Ford for Stackhouse deal. What do you think of trying to include Tinsley for Matt Carol ? I know I know Im about to be crucified because Carroll is another slow white kid who cant defend but still the guy is 6'6" can shoot it, makes less than Jamaal and at the very least can contribute something to our team as opposed to Jamaal doing nothing. Not even sure Dallas would go along with this but who knows, Cuban seems to be a high risk high reward kind of guy, and he has the $ im sure to work out a buyout if Jamaal doesnt look to pan out once he gets there. Ford, Tinsley and Barea woudlnt be a bad PG rotation if Kidd doesnt return (reports are that he might not)
    I agree!!!!
    I CANT SPELL!

THERE ARE THOSE THAT HAVE AND THOSE THAT WILL!

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...tradeId=lmaec7
    What about that? It would give us wing depth and a solid backup point. It's not a sexy trade, but maybe a starting point.

Watson and Sefolosha for Ford.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwalt72 View Post
    http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...tradeId=lmaec7
    What about that? It would give us wing depth and a solid backup point. It's not a sexy trade, but maybe a starting point.

Watson and Sefolosha for Ford.
    There has been some speculation that the reason the Thunder drafted James Harden instead of Ricky Rubio was because Russell Westbrook wants to play PG and doesn't want any competition for the starting position. So I doubt that they would trade for another PG at the moment. Of course, all of that is speculation and could be BS.

But I would be very happy if the trade you proposed happened. Watson is a decent backup and I'd love to get Sefolosha. He's a very solid defender.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

i like tinsley for almost anything

Ford & Foster for Kirilinko & Maynor would make me happy

Kirilinko can play both the 3 & 4 helps us out defensively and balaces the roster a little and Maynor I think is going to be a very good PG in this league.

Utah does this becuase they get to quality vets to help with there playoff push. Williams & Ford is a nice pg rotation and Foster would help any team tryin to win NOW

It would also give us Murphy, Kirilinko & Dunleavy expiring at the same time to help score a Quality star to pair with Danny Granger
    Last edited by esabyrn333; 06-28-2009 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by esabyrn333 View Post
    Ford & Foster for Kirilinko & Maynor would make me happy

Kirilinko can play both the 3 & 4 helps us out defensively and balaces the roster a little and Maynor I think is going to be a very good PG in this league.

Utah does this becuase they get to quality vets to help with there playoff push. Williams & Ford is a nice pg rotation and Foster would help any team tryin to win NOW

It would also give us Murphy, Kirilinko & Dunleavy expiring at the same time to help score a Quality star to pair with Danny Granger
    I like that. And the fact they still expire for 2011 works out well for us. I like Maynor a lot too, so that'd be fantastic. Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Wylder1324 View Post
    As we get crap for a good talent in TJ, extending the deal with Tinsley would be the least we can do. I'd try to somehow include a sign and traded Brandon Bass...

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck View Post
    I've been thinking about this as well. It's difficult because it's hard to find a team that a) has a need for Ford and is willing to pay him $8M to most likely come off the bench and b) can give the Pacers something worthwhile in return.

Here's one I came up with:

Indiana trades, Dallas receives: T.J. Ford
    Dallas trades, Indiana receives: Jerry Stackhouse

This is essentially a trade for Stackhouse's expiring contract. He would most likely never suit up for the Pacers and would be bought out, waived, or retire soon after the trade. Or maybe his contract is stashed for a possible trade deadline move. So this is essentially a sequel to the Shawne Williams for Eddie Jones trade from last year.
    stackhouse's contract is only partially guaranteed this season, so it's more valuable than a normal expiring contract. buying him out immediately will give us the financial room to re-sign jack plus sign a free agent with our mle.

so yeah, would love to do this deal.