Thread: Yahoo front page

Default Yahoo front page

Right under Jacko is the story about Hansbrough. "Why Drafting Big College Star was Bad move." I know most of you have already read the article. The Pacers have not gotten this much press since Ronnie left. I hope Bird is right and a year from now no one will question his next draft pick. Tyler has a lot to prove. Lets hope he is up to it.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Yahoo front page

Yeah, during my daily Yahoo! visit, I saw this. Very saddening to see.

BTW, link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, during my daily Yahoo! visit, I saw this. Very saddening to see.

BTW, link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns
    And so we're concerned with another Bob Kravitz????
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well the writer is clueless... he's citing that Hansbrough is an inch and a half shorter than he is.... and completely ignored how well he evaluated athletically at the combine...

It was as if it was the end off the college year and the combine and the workouts never happened to this writer... and all he has is these falsely conceived presumptions...

He was an elite college player for 4 years... therefore he's had more time to be beat to death by critics looking for whatever flaws they can find...

1-2 year players can sneak away with having some flaws unnoticed, or shrugged of saying they have potential and can fix them... despite the fact that players of all ages can improve not just 20-22 year old with 'potential'... (If anyone was was at the draft party, you'll remember Jeff Foster's testament to that...)

Alright, I'll end rant for now...
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Lets be honest for a second, no one takes Yahoo Sports seriously. Its one guys opinion, good for him, I personally think the Pacers made a good pick - and I wanted Holiday.

I think it was Chad Ford who said it best, he said something along the lines of "The Pacers are drafting Championship like players to put around Granger, eventually they will have to add another star to go next to Granger, but when they do, their team will be ready." That was obviously paraphrasing, but I agree with what he said.

We weren't going to find that second star in this draft, Holiday has so many question marks its ridiculous. He averaged more TO's than assists in college, yet hes suppose to be a PG? He is at least 3 years away from really doing anything. Hansbrough will give 110% every single possession of every single game. No player has faced more criticism than Hansbrough has. People claimed he was overrated in high school, he then proven them wrong and won the State Championship, then they said he was overrated in college, he proved them wrong and won the National Championship, then they said he wasn't athletic, then he tested very well athletically, now its that he won't be a good pro....I mean, when does it stop?

Hansbrough - 3
    World - 0

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout View Post
    1-2 year players can sneak away with having some flaws unnoticed, or shrugged of saying they have potential and can fix them... despite the fact that players of all ages can improve not just 20-22 year old with 'potential'...
    So wait, you're telling us someone like Hansbrough who everyone claims is a work-a-holic may want to get better?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    So wait, you're telling us someone like Hansbrough who everyone claims is a work-a-holic may want to get better?
    Yeah!

Also old man Foster can get better! (as he has proven w/ his jump shot)

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    And so we're concerned with another Bob Kravitz????
    I should've explained why I was sad. I just don't see how this pick is a mistake.

I feel sorry for the people that read into this garbage.

Thank goodness Kravitz is on vacation this week. We didn't have to hear him bash TPTB for this pick.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    I should've explained why I was sad. I just don't see how this pick is a mistake.

I feel sorry for the people that read into this garbage.

Thank goodness Kravitz is on vacation this week. We didn't have to hear him bash TPTB for this pick.
    Now that would be hilarious after Bob was so **** sure about Blair and then the way he fell.

Quote Originally Posted by Franchise55 View Post
    Lets be honest for a second, no one takes Yahoo Sports seriously. Its one guys opinion, good for him, I personally think the Pacers made a good pick - and I wanted Holiday.

I think it was Chad Ford who said it best, he said something along the lines of "The Pacers are drafting Championship like players to put around Granger, eventually they will have to add another star to go next to Granger, but when they do, their team will be ready." That was obviously paraphrasing, but I agree with what he said.

We weren't going to find that second star in this draft, Holiday has so many question marks its ridiculous. He averaged more TO's than assists in college, yet hes suppose to be a PG? He is at least 3 years away from really doing anything. Hansbrough will give 110% every single possession of every single game. No player has faced more criticism than Hansbrough has. People claimed he was overrated in high school, he then proven them wrong and won the State Championship, then they said he was overrated in college, he proved them wrong and won the National Championship, then they said he wasn't athletic, then he tested very well athletically, now its that he won't be a good pro....I mean, when does it stop?

Hansbrough - 3
    World - 0
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

It's the Bulls theory in the recent past. Get the best players on big successful college teams. Rose, Deng, Henrich, Gordon, Duhon (gone now), Noah, Tyrus Thomas-am I missing anyone.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Mood

I'll be 100% honest and admit during the pick I wanted Holiday... and was little baffled for a little while... but it didn't take very long for Tyler to grow on me...

... and when told we tried trading down, to a spot where we could get Tyler and another pick got foiled in the last five min (team drafted the guy the other team wanted... pretty sure Seth has covered this in the other thread, just verifying it)... you got to give it to Bird, you can't say he didn't try... and so in the end he made 100% sure he got who he wanted...

-and on a side note I could swear I read somewhere Bird mentioned Tyler reminds him of Dave Cowens... anyone else see that (driving me nuts I can't find it again)... but it does make allot of sense... both 6'9 all out intensity players, who have well rounded games...

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    It's the Bulls theory in the recent past. Get the best players on big successful college teams. Rose, Deng, Henrich, Gordon, Duhon (gone now), Noah, Tyrus Thomas-am I missing anyone.
    that one guy who has 6 rings, 5 MVP's, and 3 defensive player of the year awards? yea that guy

Quote Originally Posted by IndyProdigy View Post
    that one guy who has 6 rings, 5 MVP's, and 3 defensive player of the year awards? yea that guy

Well ya, but I meant like recent Hx, but good point.

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout View Post
    Well the writer is clueless... he's citing that Hansbrough is an inch and a half shorter than he is.... and completely ignored how well he evaluated athletically at the combine...

It was as if it was the end off the college year and the combine and the workouts never happened to this writer... and all he has is these falsely conceived presumptions...

He was an elite college player for 4 years... therefore he's had more time to be beat to death by critics looking for whatever flaws they can find...

1-2 year players can sneak away with having some flaws unnoticed, or shrugged of saying they have potential and can fix them... despite the fact that players of all ages can improve not just 20-22 year old with 'potential'... (If anyone was was at the draft party, you'll remember Jeff Foster's testament to that...)

Alright, I'll end rant for now...
    Very well said.

I think Dicky-V said it perfectly when he said (and I paraphrase) that most of the players (PGs) selected early in the first round would ultimately amount to nothing more than picks based on "potential" rather than real talent. Yet, when I read an article like this...

LOSER: Indiana Pacers

Only time will tell on every pick, but as hard a worker and as good a guy and as big a winner and so on and so forth that Tyler Hansbrough is, how he winds up the 13th pick of the draft is a mystery.

The Pacers have put a premium on character, but Hansbrough is a classic tweener. At 6-8 he isnít big enough to guard power forwards and isnít quick enough to guard small forwards. He scored a million points in college but also benefitted from getting nearly every call (which will end on Day 1 in the NBA) and hitting strange-trajectory shots (that will be swatted on Day 1 in the NBA).

They probably couldíve gotten him later in the first round. Of course, college broadcaster Dick Vitale said Hansbrough would average 14 points a game. Fourteen? Do D-League stats count?
    ... I have to wonder how the writer could issue such a double-standard. On the one hand, he laments how Hansbrough is a "hard worker" and a "big winner" and questions how he could fall to #13 in the draft, but then he goes on to say how he isn't big enough or quick enough to guard either Forward position and that he got the benefit of foul calls; hence, how he scored points in bunches.

Absord!!

Either the guy deserves to be in the NBA or not. I'd in no way label the Pacers' 1st-round draft pick as a "loser". Granted, he's not necessarily a marque pick, but I think he's more than a "serviceable" PF. As I stated in another thread covering draft night, I'd place Hansbrough right up there alongside Blake Griffin...a close second easy.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    On the one hand, he laments how Hansbrough is a "hard worker" and a "big winner" and questions how he could fall to #13 in the draft,
    No, the writer is questioning how Hansbrough went as high as 13th. Can't fault that, many of us are doing the same
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

This is just one moron's opinion. If he was so smart he would be working in a front office.

When Hansbrough is getting under opposing teams' skin and making all of the hustle plays to help the Pacers win, where will this egghead sports writer be?

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I'll disagree with Noah - Horford was always the best player on that team. Noah just had charisma, hair and a funky name.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    I'll disagree with Noah - Horford was always the best player on that team. Noah just had charisma, hair and a funky name.
    And the distinction of being the ugliest player in the NBA by a wide margin. Have you seen how far apart from another his eyes are?

Jordan wasn't the best player on his college team and his draft was not recent unless you consider Tom Owens a recent Pacer.

The 80's do not count as the recent past my friend.
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny