Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Hansbrough Vs. Griffin Vs. Hill

  1. #1
    Since 1984 1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,687

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Post Hansbrough Vs. Griffin Vs. Hill

    This is a post I found on a Nets forum. It broke down the combine results of Hansbrough and Griffin. I was very surprised to see that there was little to no difference between Hansbrough and Griffin in many categories. Hansbrough vs. Griffin vs. Hill

    June 13th, 2009, 11:02 am by NetIncome


    Tyler Hansbrough went into the Draft Combine with the reputation of being shorter and less athletic than the top-ranked power forwards in the draft, Blake Griffin of Oklahoma and Jordan Hill of Arizona.

    But after the combine, the bottom line is that Hansbrough is essentially the same height as the other two and athletically competitive, particularly with Hill. Not surprisingly, he is almost as strong as Griffin and a lot stronger than Hill.

    Here are the numbers:

    –In height, with sneakers, Hansbrough measured 6′9.5″, a quarter inch shorter than Griffin, and three quarters of an inch shorter than Hill. (By comparison, Brook Lopez came in at 7′0.5″ last year and Yi Jianlian at 7′0.25″–in an individual workout–two years ago.)

    –In terms of wingspan, the three were separated by two and a quarter inches, with Hill at 7′1.5″, Hansbrough at 6′11.5″ and Griffin at 6′11.25″ (Lopez measured out at 7′5.5″ last year and Yi at 7′3.5″.)

    Standing reach, Hill can touch 9′0″, Hansbrough 8′10″ and Griffin 8′9″. (Lopez’s standing reach is 9′5″. No numbers available for Yi.)

    Body fat, Hill excels with only 6.0% of his 232 pounds. Griffin is at 8.2% of 248 pounds and Hansbrough at 8.5% of 234. (Lopez’s body fat was measured at 6.3% of 256 pounds, Yi an extraordinary 3.4% of 246.)
    Athletic numbers suggest significant differences between Griffin and the other two in leaping ability and between Griffin and Hansbrough on one hand and Hill on the other in lane agility. In the sprint, the three were virtually tied, with only three one-hundredths of a second separating them.

    –In no-step vertical, Griffin has a 32.0″ inch vertical leap, four and a half inches better than Hansbrough and three and a half inches better than Hill. In max vertical, a running start, the differences are less significant, with Griffin at 35.5″, Hill at 35.0″ and Hansbrough at 34.0″. (Lopez was measured at 27.5″ and 30.5″. Only Yi’s max vertical was measured…at 38.0″)

    –In lane agility, a drill where players move around the lane as fast as possible, Hill finished dead last at the combine, taking 12.23 seconds. The difference between Griffin and Hansbrough was small, with Griffin taking 10.95 seconds and Hansbrough 11.12. (Like Hill, Lopez finished dead last, at an even worse 12.77 seconds. Yi didn’t compete.)

    –Finally, the three-quarter court sprint, Hansbrough was the winner at 3.28 seconds, one one-hundredth of a second better than Griffin, and three one-hundredths of a second better than Hill. (Lopez ran it in 3.57 seconds, again dead last. Yi didn’t compete.)

    –One area where the three were widely separated was strength. There was a huge gap between Hill and his two competitors. Hill could raise the 185-pound bar 11 times, half Griffin’s 22 . Hansbrough did 18 reps. (Lopez did only seven. Yi didn’t compete.)

  2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Since 1984 1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,687

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough Vs. Griffin Vs. Hill

    I am officially joining the Tyler Hansbrough fan club - officially forgiving him for being a Tarheel.

  4. #3

    Default Re: Hansbrough Vs. Griffin Vs. Hill

    Combine numbers don't always equate on the basketball court. Look at the NFL Draft, you have players that show up and perform well at the combine and then don't do squat on the football field.

    I want to see Tyler match up against NBA talent first to see how he does. Looks like we'll have our chance when he joins the summer league team.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Smoothdave1 For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,716

    Default Re: Hansbrough Vs. Griffin Vs. Hill

    Look at other guys who had great combine numbers... It's not a good predictor of success.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    7,984

    Default Re: Hansbrough Vs. Griffin Vs. Hill

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Look at other guys who had great combine numbers... It's not a good predictor of success.
    No, but if you don't have decent numbers, it can show you what may be the limitations. He doesn't have any glaring physical limitations for an NBA PF.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Hansbrough Vs. Griffin Vs. Hill

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, but if you don't have decent numbers, it can show you what may be the limitations. He doesn't have any glaring physical limitations for an NBA PF.
    I wouldn't quite equate combine numbers with Summer League stats, but I think they're similar in the regard that you note.

    Where bad numbers/performance tends to be a pretty good predictor of failure, good numbers/performances are not as good at predicting success.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Since 1984 1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,687

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough Vs. Griffin Vs. Hill

    I understand that combine results don't equal success. However, Hansbrough has been criticized for speed, strength, and size while Griffen has been praised. My point is to show how Tyler isn't much different than Griffen or Hill, and the critics need to let the boy play a game or two.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post:


  14. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Hansbrough Vs. Griffin Vs. Hill

    Tyler is a better athlete than people give him credit for. He is way more athletic than foster and murphy and they are doing O.K in the NBA

  15. #9

    Default Re: Hansbrough Vs. Griffin Vs. Hill

    Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't quite equate combine numbers with Summer League stats, but I think they're similar in the regard that you note.

    Where bad numbers/performance tends to be a pretty good predictor of failure, good numbers/performances are not as good at predicting success.
    True, but doesn't the disconnection between good combine numbers and their translation to the NBA have more to do with guys who simply don't understand the game? If you don't understand the game then you cannot anticipate, and without anticipation, good athleticism is essentially worthless. This does not characterize Hansbrough, who knows how to play the game and will be able to read it and anticipate.

    I'm surprised to see how close these combine numbers are between these three. So much of the negative reaction is based on his physical limits, but there doesn't seem to be any empirical evidence to support this position.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to shockedandchagrined For This Useful Post:


  17. #10
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,883

    Default Re: Hansbrough Vs. Griffin Vs. Hill

    Why is it only Hansbrough has to prove himself against pros and no one else?
    What is up with that???
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  18. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,397

    Default Re: Hansbrough Vs. Griffin Vs. Hill

    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why is it only Hansbrough has to prove himself against pros and no one else?
    What is up with that???
    Everyone has to prove themselves against the pros once they're playing in the pros.

    Hansbrough will naturally get more scrutiny because people want to measure a very successful college player's college success vs. his success in the pros.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:


  20. #12

    Default Re: Hansbrough Vs. Griffin Vs. Hill

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tyler... is way more athletic than foster and murphy and they are doing O.K in the NBA

    Granted Foster has lost quite a bit with the back injuries, but in his prime he goofed around with Bender and both of them dunked from the free throw line with ease. Jeff had exceptional hops for ANY NBA player, and very quick feet.

  21. #13

    Default Re: Hansbrough Vs. Griffin Vs. Hill

    Two years ago Kevin Durant could not bench 185 even once. Look it up. He's doing a ok.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

  22. #14
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    3,827

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough Vs. Griffin Vs. Hill

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Look at other guys who had great combine numbers... It's not a good predictor of success.
    No, but if he had crap combine numbers, something tells me you would have no problem using it in a case against him.

  23. #15
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,971

    Default Re: Hansbrough Vs. Griffin Vs. Hill

    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Combine numbers don't always equate on the basketball court.
    I agree 100%. However, and this is a big however. We know that Hansbrough has a lot of intangables that make him a very good player, so I think finding out that he tested well in the combine type things really is encouraging. Usually when someone does bad at the combine that is when you say well these don't mean anything lets see how he plays in the court. We know he plays well on the court - the worry was he would fail at the combine.

  24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  25. #16
    Inspiration Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    42,634

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough Vs. Griffin Vs. Hill

    I'm getting dizzy from all the spin.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:


  27. #17
    Gold Swagger Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,396
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough Vs. Griffin Vs. Hill

    Here's all the Pre-Draft Measurements. Check out how fast Hans is in the sprint, faster than a lot of the guards. On the bench he's as strong as Blair and just a little weaker than Griffin.

    http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/
    "Just look at the flowers ...."

Similar Threads

  1. Official Draft Day Rumor Thread
    By Trader Joe in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 112
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 11:11 AM
  2. Pacers Talk: Is Physco T The Answer
    By rocksballer58 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-21-2009, 09:42 PM
  3. Hansbrough: The Last Senior
    By count55 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-21-2009, 01:47 AM
  4. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-31-2009, 09:09 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2009, 02:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •