122. You may not vote on this poll
  • McRoberts

14 11.48%
  • Tyler

103 84.43%
  • Neither will be in an NBA rotation

5 4.10%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Three years from now, who's the better NBA player? Tyler or McBob?

Default Three years from now, who's the better NBA player? Tyler or McBob?

Well?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Three years from now, who's the better NBA player? Tyler or McBob?

Personally? Tyler... by a large margin.

Tyler will be a better player this season than McBob will ever be.
    The eyes of the Granger are upon you.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm gonna say Tyler. I only say this based on the fact that he has won so many awards, and has accomplished so much already. What has McBob done in his years?
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pianoman For This Useful Post:

They'll both be backup PFs. Tyler will be better, but will still only be a backup.

Tyler. Duh.

Havn't seen enough of McBob to comment...
    they both neeed to play 30odd min per game for two diff teams in one year for us to have any idea..

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Mood

I hope both kids find some success. Tyler is a little more athletic and his intensity is unmatched. McBob also is an athlete but is not as polished. It will be interesting is the new McBob after reportedly adding some muscle in the offseason will be as explosive.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We have both of them so I guess we'll find out in 3 years who will be better. I guess I'm so upset with this pick because with McRoberts we already knew what we had. A role player with pretty good upside and great athleticism that can do the energy/hustle stuff. So Larry goes and picks Tyler Hansbrough so we can pay a guy 3x's the amount McBob makes to do basically the same thing.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dgranger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No kidding.

The Jamison Brewer redeux love fest is a bit silly, isn't it?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Agreed.

I believe that TH was one of the few players we could draft in our position that is ready to step onto the court right now.

With that said, I'm not sure that he has the upside that some of the other selections might have had.

He's physical and very tough-minded, there's no doubt about that. And he can certainly knock down a 15 foot jump shot and give you maximum effort and reasonable success on defense.

But what is the likelihood for him to be much better in say, his 3rd season, than he will be in his first season?

I'm not so sure.

The biggest dissapointment for me is that there were trades bouncing all over the place, and we couldn't seem to pick up an early second round pick to get one of the fine players left over.... like DeJuan Blair.
    Last edited by beast23; 06-26-2009 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
    They'll both be backup PFs. Tyler will be better, but will still only be a backup.
    Maybe so, but for drafting 13th in a "weak" draft that's a fine outcome for a team that still needs help to get into the playoffs. Can't afford to waste a draft pick on another "high upside" guy like Shawne Williams. Sometimes, "high upside" means "the player stinks now, and we just haven't figured out if he'll always stink or not..."

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Definitly Tyler.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    But can we reasobaly expect him to be much better in say, his 3rd season, than he will be in his first season?
    Granger was a four-year college player and he's made big improvements every year.

We're expecting improvements from Rush and Hibbert in their next NBA season, and they were four-year college players.

This assumption isn't particuarly strong. Tyler is a winner and leader because he knows how to overcome obstacles with success. There is something to that.

The biggest dissapointment for me is that there were trades bouncing all over the place, and we couldn't seem to pick up an early second round pick to get one of the fine players left over.... like DeJuan Blair.
    Ain't that the truth.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    Granger was a four-year college player and he's made big improvements every year.

We're expecting improvements from Rush and Hibbert in their next NBA season, and they were four-year college players.

This assumption isn't particuarly strong. Tyler is a winner and leader because he knows how to overcome obstacles with success. There is something to that.
    Well... I am hoping as much. Perhaps it is time for me to drink the Kool-Aid once again.

I'm getting close to looking for that big guy to bust through the wall. Especially if we can find a taker for Ford and re-sign Jack.

PS, I love the fact that Tyler is about an 80% FT shooter - that is so important. His coaches seem to have a hard time leaving him on the bench in a close game. And that's a good thing.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post

Ain't that the truth.

Jay, it looks like Bird has managed to satisfy you somewhat 2 drafts in a row.

3 years from now who will be regretting the stuff they said about Hansbrough. Or simply denying it or making some type of excuse

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    Jay, it looks like Bird has managed to satisfy you somewhat 2 drafts in a row.
    I hate him for doing that, too.

(I wanted Blair, but obviously there is something wrong with the knees that caused him to drop. So be it.)

That's an ignorant statement.

Hans could struggle all year to adjust to the NBA, just with the fact that his matchups are going to be so much different. Hell, he could be injured for the whole season for all we know right now. Ask Blazers fans about how that can happen.

McRoberts will be as good as we need him to be. If he's buried as our 3rd PF for 3 more years, then you're obviously not going to see much out of him.

Right now, McRoberts is a little north of 6'10" and right around 250 lbs. Hans is a little north of 6'8" and 235 lbs and Hans is almost 2 years older than McRoberts. That's right, Josh is young for his grade level and Hans is old. McBob is young enough to be a Senior next year in college.

This is not as clear cut as people make it out to be. I love that we've got 'em both, and I hope we eventually try to USE them both.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hall O'Point For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DanGrangerPwrRanger View Post
    We have both of them so I guess we'll find out in 3 years who will be better. I guess I'm so upset with this pick because with McRoberts we already knew what we had. A role player with pretty good upside and great athleticism that can do the energy/hustle stuff. So Larry goes and picks Tyler Hansbrough so we can pay a guy 3x's the amount McBob makes to do basically the same thing.
    I agree with you that it's kind of a wasted draft for not addressing the PG need in the 1st round and for blowing our wad on a PF that is missing a ton of the typical PF tools, but McBob and Hans are NOT the same guy. Hans brings different things to the table that McBob doesn't (or at least hasn't yet).

I actually think McBob is the better athlete. More hops, more finesse, and I would wager faster in the 40 yard dash (if this were football). I think Hans is naturally stronger, but with Josh up around 250 now with all of his gains being solid and Hans at 235, I'm not sure who would look better in the weight room. McBob is going to be more of a high flyer, and Hans is going to be more of a banger on the post on offense.

I think if you put em both on the floor at the same time, you're gonna see a lot of Josh getting the ball, taking it inside, making a fake, and then making a sweet dish to Hans for the dunk. I can see that right now.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
    Ditto.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    3 years from now who will be regretting the stuff they said about Hansbrough. Or simply denying it or making some type of excuse
    Or who will have to admit that it was pretty much a failure after all? You know this kind of thing could work both ways .
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    Excellent post, I agree. You guys are going to be pleasantly suprised with Psycho T.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Seriously? Hansbrough will eclipse McBob's career in his first season.

I like McBob, I really do. However, I think Josh won't be in the league in 3 years. At Best McBob is a journey man who might get lucky and find a home for a few years at a time.