Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 572

Thread: IT's OFFICIAL - TYLER HANSBROUGH

  1. #201

    Default Re: IT's OFFICIAL - TYLER HANSBROUGH

    Well .............. welcome to Indy Tyler.

    Apparently, it's not a popular choice and I'm just on the fence about it. Before I chastise Larry for this, I'll just sit back and see what other moves are made before the season starts, see what Tyler can actually do against NBA competition and take it from there. Stranger things have happened in the NBA and this move could turn out to be one of them. Then again - maybe not. 50-50.

    But, in the meantime, I'll be optimistic about it. What choice do I have ??

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:


  3. #202
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    7,984

    Default Re: IT's OFFICIAL - TYLER HANSBROUGH

    I really don't get the TH McBob comparisons, they are not similar on the court in any way, at all.

  4. #203

    Default Re: IT's OFFICIAL - TYLER HANSBROUGH

    Here's the answer to the "should have traded down" argument. Hansbrough was in demand by other teams and wouldn't have been there lower down:


    Quote Originally Posted by IndyStar
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bird said four teams called after the Pacers picked Hansbrough, trying to trade for him. Asked if there was any chance Hansbrough could be traded, Bird said, "He's going to be here."

    http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...ler+Hansbrough
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:


  6. #204
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,961

    Default Re: IT's OFFICIAL - TYLER HANSBROUGH

    I think the comparison to McRoberts are absurd really.


    In a vacuum I really like the pick - whta I mean is I like Hanbrough - I think he'll be a very good player and probably better or as good as almost every player taken after 13. My big problem or concern is how Tyler helps or doesn't help the current Pacers team. The Pacers need a young athletic big guy who can block shots, run the floor, maybe post up some and play defense. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that there was a player like that anywhere near the 13th pick.

    I'm not sure how Tyler makes the Pacers any better. I do love his toughness - physical and mental, love that he loves basketball and will play hard every second of 3every practice and every game - that cannot be over-estimated as it impacts the whole team.

    One thing I found interesting is this: He was only one quarter inch shorter than Griffin, Tyler had a longer wingspan and longer standing reach than Griffin.

    edit - Chad Ford once again had our pick nailed

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  8. #205
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,161

    Default Re: IT's OFFICIAL - TYLER HANSBROUGH

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And for all of you pulling out college accomplishments and saying, Lookie, lookie at everything he's done, I would advise you to stop it before you are reminded of the fantastic college players that have come into the NBA failed. Mateen Cleaves comes to mind immediately.
    College success means nothing in the NBA, sorry. It's no reason to draft a player. Sean May agrees with me.
    And by that same token I believe there have been several players who have been drafted for their great potential who have failed completely and are now in Europe or out of ball completely. As others have stated it is a crapshoot, but getting a solid backup at this point in this draft is ok IMHO.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  9. #206
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    7,984

    Default Re: IT's OFFICIAL - TYLER HANSBROUGH

    I get people wanted more sizzle, but really in this draft who was available at 13 that people wanted that would have been better? All of them had warts. Jrue was intriguing, but he dropped to 17 is an average athlete who I think may have confidence problems and is a kid, read his Indystar interview. James Johnson couldn't get in shape for what is one of the biggest times for him to be in shape in his life. Lawson? Teague? I mean Blair doesn have KNEES for Petes sake (exaggerating for effect).

    I like TH, and no not just from an effort standpoint, but from a skill standpoint. He added a jumper his senior year, he can get better. He hits all of the required NBA PF benchmarks physically/athletically. He can rebound. He's faced double teams for 4 years now in college, it will be interesting to see how opposing PF react when he's banging and hanging on them for extended minutes. No one likes to get beat on, it's mostly a league of finesse guys anymore. Sure Tyler may get dunked on next year, but I'd guess he'll keep coming at you. To me at worst he's an answer for the Verejo's and Jokim Noahs that routinely cause them problems and he's a nightmare for the soft permiter PFs who don't like the physical play for an extended period of time.

    Back to the skills. He can shoot, he can hit the 17 footer routinely, right now. He won't be a liability on offense and I could see him as a Udonis Haslem, easily and as soon as next year, honestly. That's a pretty good pick up to me.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:


  11. #207
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    8,890

    Default Re: IT's OFFICIAL - TYLER HANSBROUGH

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the comparison to McRoberts are absurd really.


    In a vacuum I really like the pick - whta I mean is I like Hanbrough - I think he'll be a very good player and probably better or as good as almost every player taken after 13. My big problem or concern is how Tyler helps or doesn't help the current Pacers team. The Pacers need a young athletic big guy who can block shots, run the floor, maybe post up some and play defense. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that there was a player like that anywhere near the 13th pick.
    Hansbrough's not a shotblocker but as for the rest, North Carolina was absolutely a running team and he was their top scorer. He was always down the court for layups or put-backs. And he's extremely strong - and will remain strong even for the NBA.

    Anyone who thinks he can't run the floor needs to go back and watch some NC games from last year. I won't say they were the top scoring, runningest team in Division 1 - there's always someone from a smaller conference. But they were considered the runningest top-flight team in major college basketball. And Hansbrough was a big part of that.

    Edit: Here's last year's NCAA scoring stats: http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-baskbl/...g-offense.html

    I've seen people call Hansbrough slow, unathletic and say he can't run. That's ridiculous - people need to watch the games.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to DisplacedKnick For This Useful Post:


  13. #208
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,579

    Default Re: IT's OFFICIAL - TYLER HANSBROUGH

    First off, I have not read any of this thread before post #201.

    I wanted Hansbrough all along & its pretty clear that he is exactly the type of player that Bird & the rest of TPTB are looking for for this team. Bird is looking for guys with more than a season or two of college with a high BB IQ & motor that absolutly live & breath basketball.

    The casual fan base will fall in love with this guy.

    There are just two things I'd like to add before I go back & read everyones comments.

    1. Sometimes when you're building a team you draft a player that will be the best fit for the team.

    2. The only thing that worries me is that the several posters that I highly respect, as far as basketball knowledge is concerned, were not happy about the pick.
    Last edited by Jose Slaughter; 06-26-2009 at 08:50 AM.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jose Slaughter For This Useful Post:


  15. #209
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    8,823
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IT's OFFICIAL - TYLER HANSBROUGH

    I can see Hans getting Rasho' minutes. Which means Foster is going to be playing a lot of center next year. Which also means that we may se Danny playing less PF.

    I would have loved to get up and grab Sam Young. He would have been an awesome Graham replacement at the least. And he would have been unguranteed.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:


  17. #210
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    29,147

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IT's OFFICIAL - TYLER HANSBROUGH

    I think I'm one of the people that was being considered as bashing Tyler, which isn't the case.

    I think, and I see this with decent confidence, that we still could have drafted Holiday and then traded him in a Bayless style move and still get Hansbrough. Plus add another asset.

    Do I think Tyler can be a good player in the league? Probably. He has to get a chance to play though. Some of you are saying Foster should be first big man off the bench, I disagree completely. I think it should be Hansbrough. If you want him to be successful he needs to play right away otherwise you are wasting this pick, IMO. Hansbrough isn't the type of guy, I'm going to accept Obie yanking around his minutes and saying he needs to develop. Teague and Holiday? yep, they could have done that.

    They drafted an NBA ready guy, so Obie better treat him like he is NBA ready. I want to see him as the first big man off the bench from the start of the season. He needs to sink or swim immediately no point in dancing around it.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  19. #211
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,161

    Default Re: IT's OFFICIAL - TYLER HANSBROUGH

    Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    That, however, doesn't mean that I will be pleased when he just stays a good citizen and works hard. I want to actually see something good.


    Regards,

    Mourning
    Let's not under value that trait as well my friend. Not after everything this franchise has went through.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  20. #212
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,030

    Default Re: IT's OFFICIAL - TYLER HANSBROUGH

    Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm pretty bummed. This organization is going to have to start taking some chances because playing the safe card is going to keep us in mediocrity's lair.
    Do you not remember the events that led the Pacers to where they are now?

    We took risks on Jamaal Tinsley, Ron Artest, and Shawne Williams. How'd those turn out?
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  21. #213
    Member circlecitysportsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Noblesville, IN
    Age
    33
    Posts
    545
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IT's OFFICIAL - TYLER HANSBROUGH

    Can we compare him to Mark Madsen then? I'm sure he'd take the vet min.

  22. #214
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,030

    Default Re: IT's OFFICIAL - TYLER HANSBROUGH

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would have loved to get up and grab Sam Young. He would have been an awesome Graham replacement at the least. And he would have been unguranteed.
    That was the only dissapointing thing about our draft to me. There were a ton of really intriguing players available at the top of the 2nd round: Sam Young, DeJuan Blair, Chase Budinger, Nick Calathes, DaJuan Summers, Jermaine Taylor. I'd have loved to go get one of those guys.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  23. #215
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    323

    Default Re: IT's OFFICIAL - TYLER HANSBROUGH

    If the Pacers draft Tyler and keep him, I promise you all that I will quit posting here.


    Let's be clear, I wouldn't mind if the Pacers drafted Tyler, I just don't believe it is very likely that they will.


    OOOps! If nothing else his selection gets rid of me as a poster, so I see it as a win win for the board.

    Since this is going to be my last post I would like to say a few things.

    In the past I have complained about how the board favored the "old timer core" that makes up this board, however my opinion has changed to where I think that now all posters are teated as equals, at least in the way Hicks and the other admins handle differences of opinions among the many posters. That is a good thing, imo.

    PD without a doubt is the best place to discuss all things Pacers and the NBA. The quality of posters here is just outstanding and that is why I will continue to read this board.

    So Hicks, wave your magic wand and delete my account.

    CB

  24. #216
    Since 1984 1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,687

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IT's OFFICIAL - TYLER HANSBROUGH

    Don't worry, there will be plenty of new usernames to chose from, I recommend "Hansbroughfan#1."

  25. #217
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    7,984

    Default Re: IT's OFFICIAL - TYLER HANSBROUGH

    Ironic

  26. #218

    Default Re: IT's OFFICIAL - TYLER HANSBROUGH

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And for all of you pulling out college accomplishments and saying, Lookie, lookie at everything he's done, I would advise you to stop it before you are reminded of the fantastic college players that have come into the NBA failed. Mateen Cleaves comes to mind immediately.

    OK, you may be right. Just remind me, please, of all the other players who were first-team all-American four times, won NCAA championships, and set all-time scoring records for the ACC, and then turned out to be a bust in the NBA.

    But there aren't any, are there?
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:


  28. #219

    Default Re: IT's OFFICIAL - TYLER HANSBROUGH

    Quote Originally Posted by Country Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In the past I have complained about how the board favored the "old timer core" that makes up this board, however my opinion has changed to where I think that now all posters are teated as equals,

    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  29. #220
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,878

    Default Re: IT's OFFICIAL - TYLER HANSBROUGH

    Hansbrough should be the first man off the bench to replace Troy. He should end up
    with 15-20 minutes a game as a rookie. Jeff will replace Hibbert. That could be painful
    for the opposition.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  30. #221
    Funk Seoul Brother Frostwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,282

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IT's OFFICIAL - TYLER HANSBROUGH

    I personally like the pick, and because I haven't seen enough of his games I think I have no reason to think anything negative of him. I would love to hear what tbird has to say on both our draft picks, as well.

  31. #222
    Since 1984 1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,687

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IT's OFFICIAL - TYLER HANSBROUGH

    You guys are right - who wants a player of the year? Losers like Michael Jordan, Patrick Ewing, David Robinson, Larry Johnson, Marcus Camby, Elton Brand, Tim Duncan, Jameer Nelson, and Kevin Durrant all won the "worthless" Naismith Award. Well, look's like Hansbrough is in the company of some real losers, doesn't it?

  32. #223
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: IT's OFFICIAL - TYLER HANSBROUGH

    Quote Originally Posted by Country Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the Pacers draft Tyler and keep him, I promise you all that I will quit posting here.


    Let's be clear, I wouldn't mind if the Pacers drafted Tyler, I just don't believe it is very likely that they will.


    OOOps! If nothing else his selection gets rid of me as a poster, so I see it as a win win for the board.

    Since this is going to be my last post I would like to say a few things.

    In the past I have complained about how the board favored the "old timer core" that makes up this board, however my opinion has changed to where I think that now all posters are teated as equals, at least in the way Hicks and the other admins handle differences of opinions among the many posters. That is a good thing, imo.

    PD without a doubt is the best place to discuss all things Pacers and the NBA. The quality of posters here is just outstanding and that is why I will continue to read this board.

    So Hicks, wave your magic wand and delete my account.

    CB


    Is this really your last post?

  33. #224

    Default Re: IT's OFFICIAL - TYLER HANSBROUGH

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the comparison to McRoberts are absurd really.
    The comparison begins with that they are both similar in size and are hussel types. One has more offense and both project to be ok defenders.

    Certianly it absurd from a college bb stand point but its infusion of hussel talent which isn't a bad thing.

  34. #225

    Default Re: IT's OFFICIAL - TYLER HANSBROUGH

    Quote Originally Posted by ryheathco View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You guys are right - who wants a player of the year? Losers like Michael Jordan, Patrick Ewing, David Robinson, Larry Johnson, Marcus Camby, Elton Brand, Tim Duncan, Jameer Nelson, and Kevin Durrant all won the "worthless" Naismith Award. Well, look's like Hansbrough is in the company of some real losers, doesn't it?
    You forgot a few, like J.J. Redick, Lionel Simmons, Danny Ferry, etc.

Similar Threads

  1. Tyler Hansbrough anybody?
    By vnzla81 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 223
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 02:06 AM
  2. Hansbrough: The Last Senior
    By count55 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-21-2009, 01:47 AM
  3. Tyler Hansbrough 'not worried' about where he gets drafted [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2009, 10:20 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2009, 02:00 PM
  5. Why all the Tyler Hansbrough Hate
    By Jonathan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 03-26-2009, 11:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •