Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Larry Bird - Live Draft Chat Discussion

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Larry Bird - Live Draft Chat Discussion

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Larry Bird - Live Draft Chat Today

I always like what he says in press conferences like these before drafts.

I'm usually pretty satisfied with who he picks.

LB - "I don't like to take one-year players. They'd have to be really good. Given the choice, I'd rather take a three or four year player."

Well crap, I tuned in just in time for Bird to get up and walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No he flies away.

When he mentioned a player looking a little tired after working out in Golden State, who do you think that was? Was that Jennings?

I have a feeling it'll end up being Lawson but I'm still crossing my fingers for Jennings...

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I only caught the last five minutes...some stuff: (paraphrased from memory)

"We'll talk to Jarrett's agent on July 1st, but he doesn't really impact what we'll do in the draft."

but then he said:

"If we get Jarrett back, then we probably won't have to draft a point guard. Although if one or two of those guys in the top 8 drop, we'll take them. "

"You can't go on one workout...These guys are sometimes doing 4 workouts in 4 cities, and they're pretty hard workouts. They get worn out. Some guys look tired or not as good in one place, then look great the next time they see him."

I think there was some discussion of Daniels at the beginning of the presser, but I didn't find it until about 12 minutes in.

I'll be honest...I'm not getting warm fuzzies.

Definitely emphasized liking 4-year guys...not a real promising sign for those of us who are hoping for Jennings.

He did say that teams ahead of us are talking about taking guys who were "projected behind us," and that might push one or two of the top eight guys down.

Again, I'd love to see the whole thing, but I wouldn't call it uplifting, or even particularly edifying.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Definitely emphasized liking 4-year guys...not a real promising sign for those of us who are hoping for Jennings.
    In the interest of being optimistic, perhaps he is throwing some smokescreens? =).

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really think these pressers mean nothing, if you like what Bird says then you're happy, if not you can rationalize it as smokescreening.

If Jennings is there at 13 I don't see how that can't affect how the Pacers are drafting because if nothing else we can use him as a trading tool for those teams who really covet him...unless there are really no trades available. While I have cooled on Jennings a little bit if TPTB can determine at all through interviews that he will work hard and improve then they need to draft him, we may have our next Mark Jackson there.

Yes, Jennings is probably a risk but I don't really want to add Lawson or Maynor to our cadre of mediocre PG's. Hell I'd rather have Psycho T or Blair than Lawson or Maynor.

If TPTB pass on Jennings, I'll assume that there were no trades available and they don't think he has the drive to improve as an NBA player. I really liked the way we drafted last year so if that happens, I'll be sorely disappointed, but I'm going to trust in Bird, he earned it from me for last year's moves.
    Last edited by idioteque; 06-22-2009 at 01:36 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

"If we get Jarrett back, then we probably won't have to draft a point guard. Although if one or two of those guys in the top 8 drop, we'll take them. "
    I wonder who he's referring to here. The most likely players to be dropping are Holiday and Jennings. He could be talking about Evans or Derozan or Hill as well.

I didn't get to see any of this, but "We'll take them" is a very definitive statement, so there are at least a couple guys that Bird likes that he believes could fall to #13.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    I wonder who he's referring to here. The most likely players to be dropping are Holiday and Jennings. He could be talking about Evans or Derozan or Hill as well.

I didn't get to see any of this, but "We'll take them" is a very definitive statement, so there are at least a couple guys that Bird likes that he believes could fall to #13.
    Careful...that's from memory. I could definitely be wrong with the wording. I wasn't taking notes...

Mood

Same link as above.

Mike Wells
    Indystar.com

Indiana Pacers president Larry Bird said he has his eye on four players, and he believes three of them will be available when they pick No. 13 in Thursday night's draft.
    "You have to see what happens in front of you, usually there’s some guys that slide, and there’s some holes we have to fill," Bird said this afternoon. "We need bigs and we need a point guard and we need a wing player. We’ll probably take the best player available."
    Pittsburgh DeJuan Blair, North Carolina’s Ty Lawson and Tyler Hansbrough, VCU’s Eric Maynor and Brandon Jennings, who played in Italy last season, are possible picks. Bird said he prefers to select a player that spent three or four years in college.
    Bird would ideally he would like to trade up to get the No. 5 pick, but he said the Pacers aren’t in the position financially to move up. He didn’t rule out trading for a second first-round pick.

"We have some options to do some things," he said. "You never really know until it gets up to the draft. We’ll have some opportunities to do some things. If you can do some things and get two players that can help you, you’ll have to look at it. There’s a lot of things we’re mulling over."

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

I think Bird prefers safe picks and to me that's probably Lawson. Bird is in a (we've got to make the playoffs this year mode) because at the end of next season he'll be gone if the PAcers don't.

Eh, I change my mind and think Blair would be the safe pick for Bird and not Lawson.
    Last edited by RWB; 06-22-2009 at 02:22 PM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I only caught the last five minutes...some stuff: (paraphrased from memory)

"We'll talk to Jarrett's agent on July 1st, but he doesn't really impact what we'll do in the draft."

but then he said:

"You can't go on one workout...These guys are sometimes doing 4 workouts in 4 cities, and they're pretty hard workouts. They get worn out. Some guys look tired or not as good in one place, then look great the next time they see him."

I think there was some discussion of Daniels at the beginning of the presser, but I didn't find it until about 12 minutes in.

I'll be honest...I'm not getting warm fuzzies.

He did say that teams ahead of us are talking about taking guys who were "projected behind us," and that might push one or two of the top eight guys down.

Again, I'd love to see the whole thing, but I wouldn't call it uplifting, or even particularly edifying.
    Going by the comments so far I'm not thrilled either. However I'd say the 4 year comment and the Jack not impacting comments mean Maynor (4 year PG) or Blair (PF means no Jack relevance).

Of course Terrence Williams is a 4 year guy that replaces Quis but doesn't directly impact the PG situation. (not happening, I realize)

Let's not forget that there was a reason the Pacers cooled to Lawson last year.

Now here's my issue with 4 year guys - I'm not as impressed when it's a small program and they are having to prove themselves more, or a big time school and the guy's draft stock is way low for what he expected. Thabeet and Budinger - they stayed an extra year for draft stock as much as anything. Frankly so did Brandon Rush.

Contrast that with Griffin, or Tim Duncan looking back. Griffin stayed to play more and mature, not because he wasn't going top 5.

Lawson and Maynor, these guys needed to stay for one more year. One of the few who benefited from staying a 4th year but maybe didn't do it just for that reason is Terrence Williams. But he was at a big time program with a big time coach. PsychoT fits that mold too I think because he didn't gain from staying and seemed to genuinely want to play that extra year.

If Maynor had been running UCLA or Duke and projected top 12 and said "nah, I want a shot at an NCAA title" then that's awesome. But staying another year to help get noticed more at VCU isn't all that impressive. Not bad, just not some positive sign like Bird suggests.

School, like everything else, must be judged case by case. Lawson misses that DUI and he's not at NC in 2009. So he's not some scholastic hero, just making the best of his situation.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 06-22-2009 at 02:06 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Based on what you heard Count,

it seems like Jennings could very well be an option:

Quote Originally Posted by count55
    Wouldn't Jennings be one of those guys?

"I don't like to take one-year players. They'd have to be really good.
    Jennings is really good, so he appears to fit that criteria

Still, there appears to be an underlying theme where Bird keeps reiterating experience. Looks like Lawson or maybe Maynor could be the guy. I hope that's not the case.

After listening to the first part of the presser, I feel better. He was actually very positive about Jennings...it sounded like he thought very highly of the European experience, and he's sure that Jennings learned a lot.

He that at 13, there will be "a big, a point guard, and a wing player"...then he confirmed that they'd all come in to work out.

Then, he said the bigs were "Mullens, Blair, and Hansbrough" (IIRC)...I think the one-year comment may be directed at Mullens.

The feed is choppy, so I'll come back to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    School, like everything else, must be judged case by case. Lawson misses that DUI and he's not at NC in 2009. So he's not some scholastic hero, just making the best of his situation.
    Lawson misses that DUI, I think there was a fair chance he was a Pacer, it seemed at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Going by the comments so far I'm not thrilled either. However I'd say the 4 year comment and the Jack not impacting comments mean Maynor (4 year PG) or Blair (PF means no Jack relevance).

Of course Terrence Williams is a 4 year guy that replaces Quis but doesn't directly impact the PG situation. (not happening, I realize)
    Really? I thought the opposite. It's the first time I've heard him say "We need a wing."
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

So who is the top 8 he's talking about dropping?

Who is the 4 that he thinks 3 will be there?

One thing, I think we can pretty much be sure they are not considering Terrence Williams, at all.

Sounds like we can scratch Holiday and Jennings off the list.

Both are one year players who didn't perform great.

4 guys they think they'll get at 13, but only 3 of 4 available.

I think we can all agree that 2 of the 3 are likely Ty Lawson and Maynor. Lawson for sure.

Who are the other 2 or 3?

Based on last year it would come from this list, since both Roy and Brush did work out before being chosen, sure it's a big assumption, but still.

Ty Lawson

Maynor
    Jennings
    Blair
    Henderson
    Hansbrough
    Teague
    Holiday
    James Johnson

I left off

BJ Mullens
    Sam Young
    Bundinger
    Toney Douglas

So I think Bird thinks these three will be there

Lawson
    Blair
    Maynor

I think Jennings is the one he thinks could be gone.

So I think the big probable board at Pacers head quarters looks like this, in this order.

Jennings
    Lawson
    Blair
    Maynor

Just my opinion.

Lastly, the whole move to #5 I think is in case Rubio drops, I think he's the one they would want there, unless Mike Wells has inside info and it is Tyreke Evans.

Bird claims that we could have up to five new faces !! Any speculations ??

Quote Originally Posted by Pacemaker View Post
    Tinsley
    Rasho
    Maceo
    Marquis
    Grahm

I think those guys are gone, Grahm maybe iffy.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pacemaker View Post
    Tinsley is getting plastic surgery.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post: