Thread: Pacers move up in draft: Golden State

Hybrid View

Default Pacers move up in draft: Golden State

I mentioned this in an article I just finished on the main board, but wanted to isolate it here for discussion in the trade forum:

Pacers see an opportunity in the next couple of days, and decide to move up in the draft for Jordan Hill. (or someone else perhaps)

Pacers trade Jeff Foster, and pick #13 to Golden State

Golden State trades Ronny Turiaf and pick #7 to Indiana.

Why for Indiana: They consider this if there is a player at 7 they really covet, in this scenario I am using Jordan Hill as an example. Indiana adds the consensus second best power forward in the draft, plus a role player big man in Turiaf. Indiana saves a little money in 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 from the difference in Foster and Turiafs contracts.

Why not for Indiana: Turiaf's contract runs one year longer than Foster's. Foster is a career Pacer and glue guy. Hill may not be worth trading up for, who knows?

Why for Golden State: Foster is a bigger and cheaper version of Turiaf, and gives them a more veteran leadership type guy. Nellie can get the guy he wants at #13 anyway perhaps, and they have no need for Hill with Wright and Randolph already in Golden State. Fosters contract is one year shorter than Turiaf's, and moving back six draft spots saves them a bit of money as well.

Why not for Golden State: Maybe the 7th pick has more value than this. Then again, maybe not this year.

Default Re: Pacers move up in draft: Golden State

Foster ($6M a year) isn't cheaper than Turiaf ($4M a year). His deal is one year shorter, but it's not cheaper. Turiaf is also a good deal younger and has less mileage.

We have no idea who Nellie wants or if he can get the guy at #13 that he'd want at #7. If it's someone like Curry or Evans who falls to #7 (for example) and Nellie likes that guy, I can see him just taking that guy and keeping him.

I like Foster. He's always been a good effort/hustle guy and one of the league's better backup bigmen, but he's at the age where he's declining in production. Swapping a younger Turiaf for an older Foster and moving down 6 spots in the lottery doesn't do much for the Warriors in either the short or long term.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree with DC quite a bit on this one. I think Golden State doesn't covet a player like Jeff Foster. There are playoff teams that would value Foster a TON more than what GS would. I just don't think the GS front office knows their earhole from their a--hole and would not appreciate a player like Foster. We could trade Jeff to a better situation like San Antonio who would covet him and give him a chance for a ring. Orlando, Lakers, Celtics, Mavs, Spurs, Rockets, and Jazz would be the only teams I would be talking to about Foster, for his sake and we would get more for him. I wouldn't trade him to Cleveland out of spite.

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree with DC quite a bit on this one. I think Golden State doesn't covet a player like Jeff Foster. There are playoff teams that would value Foster a TON more than what GS would. I just don't think the GS front office knows their earhole from their a--hole and would not appreciate a player like Foster. We could trade Jeff to a better situation like San Antonio who would covet him and give him a chance for a ring. Orlando, Lakers, Celtics, Mavs, Spurs, Rockets, and Jazz would be the only teams I would be talking to about Foster, for his sake and we would get more for him. I wouldn't trade him to Cleveland out of spite.
    The guy who doesn't know his earhole from his a--hole is Robert Rowell. I'm sure Nellie is aware of who Foster is and what he brings, and much of what he brings is already covered by Turiaf and Biedrins.

For the Pacers, they shouldn't be concerned about where to send Foster nearly as much as what they can get in return. If the best return you can get is from Cleveland, then that's where you should trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    For the Pacers, they shouldn't be concerned about where to send Foster nearly as much as what they can get in return. If the best return you can get is from Cleveland, then that's where you should trade him.
    Shouldn't this be a general rule for any team looking to trade a player?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoddage View Post
    Shouldn't this be a general rule for any team looking to trade a player?
    Of course, but the previous post was talking how the Pacers should trade Foster to a place where they would "appreciate", "value" and "covet" him or to somewhere where Foster would have a shot at a ring, except for Cleveland (out of spite).

If you trade Foster, you worry about what you get in return. The fact that someone else is willing to trade for him is appreciation enough.