Thread: Houston Trade

Default Houston Trade

Houston is shopping Tracy McGrady aggressively for a shooting guard. The Rockets also need help at back-up point (Brooks/Weaver) if they want to make a serious run at the playoffs. Finally, Houston needs a back-up forward/center for when Yao needs a blow/is injured, and to match-up with teams when Houston's short power forwards (Sciola/Landry/Hayes/Dorsey) aren't the right fit.

Wit this in mind, I propose the following

Mike Dunleavy (gives them an offensive threat at point guard)
    Jamaal Tinsley (nice complement to Brooks, who is more of a shoot-first guard that a distributor)
    Jeff Foster (can back up center/forward spots)

for

Tracy McGrady (contract is up this year, and he may take a buy-out from us)
    Carl Landry (helps solve our athletic power forward issue, particularly if we don't go Blair or Johnson in the draft)

Thoughts?

Default Re: Houston Trade

Do the salaries match up?

What I like about the deal:

Tinsley is gone

Landry is here
    What I do not like

Foster and Dunleavy are leaving 4 an aging, often injured, Tracey Mc Grady

Not a bad idea but odds are the Pacers will only do a deal if we get an additional draft pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrister View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mike Dunleavy (gives them an offensive threat at point guard)
    Huh ??

Sorry--meant offensive threat at shooting guard (while Battier and a potentially re-signed Artest can handle wing defense duties).

The salaries do match up.

Houston does not have a draft pick this season. If we ask for a second rounder in 2010 is that too greedy? I do like this deal my only question is Mc Grady going to get upset about playing behind Danny and Rush? I say yes and do not want to hurt our team chemistry.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

SHANE BATTIER!

We may be able to get a second from Houston, but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me if we couldn't.

If McGrady doesn't want to play for the Pacers next season for whatever reason, the Pacers can use that as leverage to effect a buy-out price below McGrady's salary. I'd be fine with that outcome, as McGrady is just a vehicle to accelerate the Pacers' rebuilding process (by shaving a year off the cost of Tinsley and Dunleavy that can be used for younger free agents) while receiving a nice young player in the process (Landry), who, given his roots, may actually want to stick around.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Do the salaries match up?

What I like about the deal:

Tinsley is gone

Landry is here
    What I do not like

Foster and Dunleavy are leaving 4 an aging, often injured, Tracey Mc Grady

Not a bad idea but odds are the Pacers will only do a deal if we get an additional draft pick.
    http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...tradeId=krcpmw yup
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Houston does not have a draft pick this season. If we ask for a second rounder in 2010 is that too greedy? I do like this deal my only question is Mc Grady going to get upset about playing behind Danny and Rush? I say yes and do not want to hurt our team chemistry.
    Even if McGrady was starting, he'd hurt team chemistry.

I could live with McGrady for 1 season if it meant ridding ourselves of Tinsley and gaining the cap space for 2010. I'd much rather see Murphy traded instead of Foster. Losing Tinsley would also give us the needed cap space to pick up the option on Daniels or to keep Jack.
    If we kept Daniels for just the 1 season that would drop our payroll at the end of the season to well under the Cap, not just the tax threshold. We could be players in the 2010 market. Of course if anyone would want to make a play for McGrady it would be New York. This will really test the value of an expiring contract.

Mood

I'd be ok with a buy out for T-Mac if we could get Landry for the cheap and get rid of Tinsley.

if pacers wuold not by out J.T. why would they by out T-MAC?????

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BBALL56HACKER For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BBALL56HACKER View Post
    if pacers wuold not by out J.T. why would they by out T-MAC?????
    T-Mac only has 1 year left so we would only have to pay him 1 season of salary anyways, and with a buyout, possibly pay him less than the contract price. JT's contract runs for a couple more years so buying him out would still hurt us longer with nothing to show for it.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Tinsley - 2 years, 14.7

McGrady - 1 year, 23.2

McGrady isn't going to be bought out for less than 14.7. And if he IS bought out, what do you have to show for the move anyway ??

What else we get:

The Pacers will be out from under Dunleavy's contract (roughly $10,000,000 per year for the next two years) and save $3,000,000 on Foster's contract by swapping him for a younger, better fit at power forward in Carl Landry.

For the record, you only do this trade if you believe, as I do, that the Pacers should be building for the future rather than scraping every last win we can for the next two years. I'd be the first to stipulate that this trade may make the Pacers a worse team for the next two years, particularly if Dunleavy comes back healthy, and we buy-out McGrady (or he's too unhealthy/disinterested to contribute).

At the same time, the Pacers can always attempt to re-sign Dunleavy after his contract ends, at a price that better reflects what he should be for us (first man off the bench) in the emerging "Granger/Rush" swingman era.

Landry isn't the answer at PF. He's a nice, serviceable 6th, 7th or 8th man on a decent team.

So, the Pacers get rid of Dunleavy, Tinsley & Foster for .................. a minor role player ?? And a 23+ million buyout.

Uh, no.

A $23M buyout that we can use to identify the type of starting power forward we need (with an excellent back-up in Landry) in the playoffs, which we otherwise couldn't do for two more years due to our financial situation. If we can find such a player after the 2009/2010 season, we may also be able to move Murphy in the last year of his contract for more young talent.

Barrister, I see you are new to forum. Welcome. We have an excellent poster count 55 is his user name and he can clarify everything you need to know about a buyout.
    FYI if you buyout a player, the team doing the buyout still takes a cap hit.

Thanks, Jonathan--good to be here. While the Pacers would take the cap hit in 2009/10 if they buy-out McGrady (but save some money in real dollars), McGrady only has one year left on his deal, whereas Dunleavy/Tinsley/Foster all have two, so the Pacers would be substantially better ($20M plus or minus) from a cap position after the 2009/10 season.

I seriously think McGrady's $20 M expiring 2010 contract can land more than Tinsley, Dunleavy and Foster. Tinsley has a history of bring injury prone, Dunleavy just came back from major knee surgery, and Foster is old. Not to mention that Tinsley and Dunleavy's contracts are flat out horrible
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

I don't think this trade works with Foster anyway because we're not giving up enough salary. Murphy, Tins, and Dun would be very close salary wise. All I see of value is in McGrady is the expiring contract, but I agree that they'll propably be able to get more then what we have to offer.

The trade works on the draft machine. Regarding value, I strongly disagree--we would be giving them a very good player at their sel-expressed greatest position of need (shooting guard), a perfect role player at arguably their second greatest need (center/tall PF), and a point guard that, if he performs, would be a very good compliment to Brooks. None of those contracts extends beyond two years, so Houston is only taking on one year of additional salary compared to McGrady.

For a team that wants to compete now and that won't be in the Lebron/Wayde/Bosh sweepstakes, that strikes as a pretty good haul for a player that hasn't contributed significant in recent years and will be out for the first 20-30 games of next season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd wanna trade for Battier not McGrady.

Mood

I think it would be a nice trade for us and a poor trade for them. It gets Tin Man away from our youth and would free us up to take a PG in the draft like a Jennings if he were still available.