Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Cavs looking to move up...Idea...Maybe

  1. #1

    Default Cavs looking to move up...Idea...Maybe

    "The Cavaliers are rumored to be interested in moving up into the middle of Thursday's NBA Draft.
    Cleveland has the 30th pick, but they appear to be targeting a trio of players that will almost certainly go well before their turn.
    The Cleveland Plain Dealer writes that general manager Danny Ferry is interested in Ty Lawson, Sam Young and Earl Clark.
    A number of financially-strapped teams are believed to be shopping their first-round picks, which means that the Cavaliers might be able to purchase one for a few million on draft night."

    That is from realgm...I realize its talking about them buying a pick, and that all of those guys with the possible exception of Earl Clark WILL be available after our pick. There biggest trade chips this off season...

    1. A massive Ben Wallace contract and he is considering retiring

    2. A Big non-guaranteed Sasha Pavlovic contract

    3. A sign and trade with Anderson Varejao

    If they offered maybe Andy, Sashas contract and their 30th pick in the draft for our 13th, would you do it?
    The eyes of the Granger are upon you.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to dgranger For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Cavs looking to move up...Idea...Maybe

    I will do it if they take Tinsley and maybe Foster for Ben expiring and JJ and then find another way to get an extra draft pick.

  4. #3
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Cavs looking to move up...Idea...Maybe

    You need to provide a link along with the name of the site, and if there's an author, that need to be included. Thank you!

    Ben Wallace and #30 and Hickson for our #13, Murphy, and Tinsley might be interesting. This is a first-glance idea, so I'll wait for the inevitibility of this being picked apart.

  5. #4

    Default Re: Cavs looking to move up...Idea...Maybe

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You need to provide a link along with the name of the site, and if there's an author, that need to be included. Thank you!

    Ben Wallace and #30 and Hickson for our #13, Murphy, and Tinsley might be interesting. This is a first-glance idea, so I'll wait for the inevitibility of this being picked apart.
    Sorry, I put its from realgm
    The eyes of the Granger are upon you.

  6. #5
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Cavs looking to move up...Idea...Maybe

    Quote Originally Posted by dgranger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry, I put its from realgm
    I know. You need the other things I mentioned. It's not a matter of having one of them, but having all of them (if available in the case of an author).

  7. #6

    Default Re: Cavs looking to move up...Idea...Maybe

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You need to provide a link along with the name of the site, and if there's an author, that need to be included. Thank you!

    Ben Wallace and #30 and Hickson for our #13, Murphy, and Tinsley might be interesting. This is a first-glance idea, so I'll wait for the inevitibility of this being picked apart.
    For JJ Hickson absolutely! Even as much as I can't stand Big Ben, hate giving up Murphy for Big Ben, but it gets rid of Tinsley once and for all. I can live with Big Ben for a year with his expiring, and the salary available in next summer.

    Only thing is Cleveland isn't going to let Hickson go for the 13th, they don't want Tinsley period, nor Murphy and Tinsley's next 2 years of salary. They will find better deals, and be able to keep Hickson.

  8. #7

    Default Re: Cavs looking to move up...Idea...Maybe

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know. You need the other things I mentioned. It's not a matter of having one of them, but having all of them (if available in the case of an author).
    I see, Some other forums Im on dont allow links, (dont really understand that) but anyway http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...three_players/

    And the author works for the Cleveland Plain Dealer
    The eyes of the Granger are upon you.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to dgranger For This Useful Post:


  10. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,616

    Default Re: Cavs looking to move up...Idea...Maybe

    http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/plaind...700.xml&coll=2

    THE CAVS AND THE DRAFT

    Cleveland Cavaliers are interested in moving up in NBA Draft

    Sunday, June 21, 2009

    The Cavs haven't gotten to use it much, they've had just two first-round picks in the past four years, but General Manager Danny Ferry, Assistant General Manager Chris Grant and head scout Wes Wilcox have a practiced system for the NBA Draft. They do most of their evaluation from scouting games and watching film.

    When they bring players in to the Independence facility to work out, which they try to do secretly unlike many teams that announce which players are in town, the Cavs primarily want to get them alone to do interviews. Personality and character are very important to the Cavs, and trying to get a read on how a player might fit in is a major part of the Cavs' draft process. The problem this year is the Cavs haven't been able to get many players to come to town - mostly for political reasons. Because the Cavs have the last pick in the first round, some players don't want to come in for fear they are suggesting they might fall that far.

    So the Cavs had to do a lot of their interviews at the draft combine in Chicago last month and also at the group workouts teams put together over the past several weeks.

    The chatter in the league is that the Cavs are very interested in moving up in the draft. They have been talking to teams just outside of the lottery (starting with the 15th pick) down into the low 20s. Typically, the Cavs would have a good idea of who is willing to move where and then act on draft night.

    As they look to move up, the Cavs might be targeting three players who most certainly will not be there when they draft at 30.

    One is Ty Lawson, the dynamic and speedy point guard from North Carolina. Though he's small and that doesn't exactly fit what the Cavs need with undersized guards Mo Wil liams and Delonte West, Lawson proved to be a winner and an excel lent decision-maker for the national champs. Some teams have over looked him, and the Cavs love to find undervalued players in the draft. They think Daniel Gibson and Darnell Jackson fit that same mold.

    Another is Sam Young, an experienced wingman who proved to be a strong defender at Pittsburgh while playing in a power conference (Big East). Ferry is close to the Pitt program and has been keeping an eye on Young for the past several years. Young fits the Cavs' need for size on the perimeter.

    The last is Earl Clark, a tall power forward from Louisville who can play a little inside and out. The Cavs spent an extended period interviewing him in Chicago. At 6-10 from a power program, he also fits a need the Cavs have.

    Because the Cavs have shown a willingness to spend money and some teams are operating deep in the red, there has been a belief the Cavs will look to purchase a first-round pick. Teams are allowed to spend up to $3 million to get it and, as a result, that is almost always the price. But do not assume the Cavs will get serious about it because they might be able to find better uses for the money. If they are going to buy a pick, the second round is more likely. The Cavs might be able to find a sleeper in there, especially between their picks of 30 and 46. Last season, the Cavs spent $300,000 to buy the rights to Sasha Kaun out of the second round, and that might be the type of check they prefer to write to get another player in this draft.

    The Trail Blazers have four second-round picks; the Pistons have three; and the Lakers, Bobcats, Heat, Spurs, Timberwolves and Suns have two each. All of those teams could consider selling one.

    - Brian Windhorst

  11. #9
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,571

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Cavs looking to move up...Idea...Maybe

    Varajeo is a UFA....so the Cavs can S&T him...but there isn't a need for us to deal with them like other FA like David Lee. Unless some solid PG like Maynor drops to 30th.....which I doubt....I wouldn't trade the 13th pick for the 30th...much less do a S&T of Varajeo ( who'll be asking for more then the full MLE )....which we wouldn't have to. Any trade that involves receiving Wallace or Sasha would only weaken any talent that we would have to take back...unless it was for Tinsley.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  12. #10

    Default Re: Cavs looking to move up...Idea...Maybe

    This draft and off season will tell more about the Pacers than any other. We have all heard of the financial difficulties. The Pacers could easily fill their team with FA that are cheap and have a year or two experience. We could sell the 2nd rnd pick to the Cavs and pay our #15 guy with that money. We could trade down a few spots for cash and there are many other ways of raising money. I have yet too see any of this yet. The Pacers claim to be losing loads of cash each year, hence the Fieldhouse agreement being renogotiated. I will wonder what is going on if the Pacers go into this season with a 70M payroll and no real reductions. I will probably believe that they are losing money on paper because of front office payroll and benefits.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to aceace For This Useful Post:


  14. #11
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Cavs looking to move up...Idea...Maybe

    Quote Originally Posted by aceace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This draft and off season will tell more about the Pacers than any other. We have all heard of the financial difficulties. The Pacers could easily fill their team with FA that are cheap and have a year or two experience. We could sell the 2nd rnd pick to the Cavs and pay our #15 guy with that money. We could trade down a few spots for cash and there are many other ways of raising money. I have yet too see any of this yet. The Pacers claim to be losing loads of cash each year, hence the Fieldhouse agreement being renogotiated. I will wonder what is going on if the Pacers go into this season with a 70M payroll and no real reductions. I will probably believe that they are losing money on paper because of front office payroll and benefits.
    There's an old saying in business that goes, "You can't save your way to prosperity."

    Going into full cost containment/cutting mode for the Pacers is ultimately self-defeating, and they know it. They are already committed to $58mm in salaries for 9 players. I expect them to bring in their payroll in around $66-68mm for next season.

    Their best chance for improving their financial position is to win. To decide to curl up in the fetal position and wait for the big contracts to expire in 2011 is virtually suicidal. Not only do they need to demonstrate that they are making a good faith effort to provide a good product, but they also need to not waste two years of the prime of Danny's career.

  15. #12

    Default Re: Cavs looking to move up...Idea...Maybe

    I think the Pacers pass on this deal.

    I could see Bird moving down a few slots (no further down than say 20) if a player they like slides. But the Pacers have a lot of needs and don't want Wallace, Pavlovic or Side show Bob unless they're coming for the minimum or Tinsley is involved and we don't take back any longer contracts.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Smoothdave1 For This Useful Post:


  17. #13

    Default Re: Cavs looking to move up...Idea...Maybe

    Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's an old saying in business that goes, "You can't save your way to prosperity."

    Going into full cost containment/cutting mode for the Pacers is ultimately self-defeating, and they know it. They are already committed to $58mm in salaries for 9 players. I expect them to bring in their payroll in around $66-68mm for next season.

    Their best chance for improving their financial position is to win. To decide to curl up in the fetal position and wait for the big contracts to expire in 2011 is virtually suicidal. Not only do they need to demonstrate that they are making a good faith effort to provide a good product, but they also need to not waste two years of the prime of Danny's career.
    I understand your point clearly. One of the problems here is that many other teams are in cost cutting (mostly salaries) mode. You stated that 66-68M is reasonable and what you expect. That is a 3-5M reduction and would make me a believer when combined with Fieldhouse savings. You can't save your way to prosperity but you can survive an economy that sucks if your smart.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

  18. #14
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Cavs looking to move up...Idea...Maybe

    Ehh tough to say.

  19. #15
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,555

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Cavs looking to move up...Idea...Maybe

    Quote Originally Posted by aceace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pacers claim to be losing loads of cash each year, hence the Fieldhouse agreement being renogotiated. I will wonder what is going on if the Pacers go into this season with a 70M payroll and no real reductions. I will probably believe that they are losing money on paper because of front office payroll and benefits.
    My understanding is that the Pacers are losing money on the operation of the Fieldhouse and are taking advantage of a clause in the original contract that allows them to hand it off to the city if this is the case.

    They'd be extremely stupid business owners if they chose not to take advantage of this.

    They have also repeatedly said that the money involved in operation of the Pacers is not part of that issue and is not going to change how they run the team (for instance, they've never wanted to be over the Luxury Tax, that won't change).

    If they have the chance to improve the team's record without taking a character hit and within reasonable business expenditures, they will do it.

    If they only move to cut payroll and field a cheap but mediocre team, then I will assume the team is being sold and moved.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Similar Threads

  1. James, Cavs stun Spurs, move to 37-1 at home [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-05-2009, 03:40 PM
  2. Power Rankings: Cavs, Magic move past Celtics [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-16-2009, 04:00 PM
  3. Power Rankings: Cavs move ahead of banged-up Celtics [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2009, 01:00 PM
  4. Cavs' first major move: Five-year deal for Gibson [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-16-2008, 12:40 PM
  5. Why not Anderson Varejao???
    By bambam in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-27-2007, 09:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •