Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hansbrough: The Last Senior

Default Hansbrough: The Last Senior

Mark Dent
    Indianapolis Star

http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...e+last+senior?

The last senior?
    After 4 years at North Carolina, Hansbrough may be a finished product, but teams are looking for untapped potential
    By Mark Dent
    Posted: June 20, 2009

Tyler Hansbrough lost a contact lens. He got hit in the face and bled. Then he continued dominating the predraft workout at Conseco Fieldhouse on Friday.

In short, the four-time All-American did everything scouts, fans and coaches saw him do for four years at North Carolina. He's the senior, the known commodity.
    Advertisement

He's also the last one standing.

Finished products like Hansbrough have never been less in demand. This year, unless Hansbrough sneaks into the upper half of Thursday's NBA draft (he's a possibility to go to New Jersey at No. 11), it's likely no college senior will be selected by a lottery-pick team. The Indiana Pacers have the 13th pick, and while Hansbrough closely resembles the young Jeff Foster coach Jim O'Brien wants, he doesn't fill their need of a low-post scorer.

Since 2000, lottery-pick teams have selected just 20 seniors, compared to 24 freshmen and 23 sophomores.

The positives with seniors are clear: polished skills, maturity, an easier adjustment to the NBA.

"It would be helpful if everybody would stay for the full four years," said Jay Bilas, ESPN draft analyst. "You would be getting a more mature player that's more prepared to help you."

But with seniors, you're also getting the Hansbrough model, the known. There's not as much upside and potential. Or hype.

Gerald Henderson, a junior leaving early from Duke, has heard enough from scouts to know about this. Teams, he said, want to gamble with untapped talent. That's why, for instance, then-freshman Marvin Williams was the first of four Tar Heels taken off their 2005 championship team despite coming off the bench.

"Certain teams need superstars," Henderson said. "They don't know yet what they could get. That's appealing."

Although the lottery portion of this year's draft should be historically thin for seniors, the debate about their value isn't new. The NBA has been getting younger for years.

Hansbrough could have been one of those early entrants. He said he thought his skills were NBA-worthy after his freshman year. He just didn't want to leave school.

"If I didn't like my college experience," Hansbrough said, "I probably would have left early."

So Hansbrough stayed. And stayed. He won National Player of the Year as a junior. He won a championship this year. But he didn't necessarily become a more attractive draft pick.

"It helped his game," Bilas said about Hansbrough's senior year. "His value is a separate question."

The Pacers might be looking for someone like Hansbrough. He fits the Foster mold. He also fits the Pacers' recent draft philosophy.

Rather than try for raw potential like the teams Henderson spoke of, the Pacers have drafted finished products. Last year, they chose Roy Hibbert, a senior, and Brandon Rush, a 22-year-old junior. In 2005, they selected Danny Granger, a senior.

On Thursday, Virginia Commonwealth senior and likely first-round pick Eric Maynor worked out, and Hansbrough practiced Friday.

Near the end of that workout, after his contact lens fell out and his nose got battered, Hansbrough sank his face into a towel on the sideline. A moment later, he popped back onto the court and swished a long jump shot. He didn't have that skill a year ago.

"I needed four years for that," he said.
    The guy still scares the bejeezus out of me. He was probably underrated, and now, I think that he's swinging back the other way. He couldn't pick a better draft to do it in, amazingly weak, especially in the front court.
    Last edited by count55; 06-20-2009 at 01:12 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Hansbrough: The Last Senior

I love this kid I really do and to be honest I would be ecstatic if we could trade down and pick him up. He is not going to bring you a championship but could be a real building block for a championship team. Trade down if possible and pick him up.

Banned

good article.

It's nitpicking, but Hibbert was a junior when the Pacers picked him, not a senior.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mark Dent
    Indianapolis Star

http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...e+last+senior?

The guy still scares the bejeezus out of me. He was probably underrated, and now, I think that he's swinging back the other way. He couldn't pick a better draft to do it in, amazingly weak, especially in the front court.
    Correct. It's a weak draft for bigmen and this helps Hansbrough. The guys he's been working out with/against, the Jeff Penergraphs and Josh Hytvelts of the world, make him look that much better.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    It's nitpicking, but Hibbert was a junior when the Pacers picked him, not a senior.
    Not exactly

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/players/38091

8. Roy Hibbert
  10. Center
  11. Georgetown Hoyas
  12. Class: Senior 3V
  13. Height: 7-2
  14. Weight: 275
  15. Previous School: Georgetown Prep
  16. Hometown: Adelphi, MD

CareerFG3PTFTReboundsMisc
    YearTeamGMinMAPctMAPctMAPctOffDefTotAstTOStlBlkPFPPG
    2004-05Georgetown (19-13)3215.81.94.046.90.00.00.01.32.066.21.42.03.50.91.80.31.32.35.1
    2005-06Georgetown (23-10)3324.04.57.659.00.00.00.02.63.672.32.74.26.91.31.40.21.62.111.6
    2006-07Georgetown (30-7)3726.45.07.567.10.00.00.02.84.168.62.74.26.91.11.20.52.42.812.9
    2007-08Georgetown (28-6)3426.35.38.660.90.10.1100.02.74.264.62.24.16.41.91.70.52.22.713.4
    Career13623.34.27.058.80.00.025.02.43.567.92.33.76.01.31.50.41.92.510.9

My mistake. I was getting my info from this, which somehow excluded his freshman season, making it look like he was a 3 year player.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player...playerId=22426

Banned

Correct. It's a weak draft for bigmen and this helps Hansbrough. The guys he's been working out with/against, the Jeff Penergraphs and Josh Hytvelts of the world, make him look that much better.
    they know he is a good player not only from the workouts, he is been playing againts college pf or centers for 4 years

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    they know he is a good player not only from the workouts, he is been playing againts college pf or centers for 4 years
    He's been playing in a college landscape devoid of any really good bigmen for years now. In that semi-final vs. Villanova, none of the opposing players in that starting lineup was over 6'7" and he was still getting his shot blocked multiple times.

He's also 24 when the season starts, meaning he's spent the better part of his college career as a physically mature player beating up on younger, physically less mature players.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's been playing in a college landscape devoid of any really good bigmen for years now. In that semi-final vs. Villanova, none of the opposing players in that starting lineup was over 6'7" and he was still getting his shot blocked multiple times.

He's also 24 when the season starts, meaning he's spent the better part of his college career as a physically mature player beating up on younger, physically less mature players.
    Good thing he didn't dominate his Freshman year playing against guys like Sheldon Williams.

Note: I'm not bashing you, it was just a silly thing to say in my opinion. Hansbrough was a dominate player the second he entered the ACC, so you can't really say he was only good because he was more mature. I'm sorry, but you don't break the ACC scoring record in a 2 year period.

Quote Originally Posted by Franchise55 View Post
    Good thing he didn't dominate his Freshman year playing against guys like Sheldon Williams.

Note: I'm not bashing you, it was just a silly thing to say in my opinion. Hansbrough was a dominate player the second he entered the ACC, so you can't really say he was only good because he was more mature. I'm sorry, but you don't break the ACC scoring record in a 2 year period.
    Sheldon Williams? I'm not sure what playing well against Sheldon Williams says about his NBA future. Personally, I don't think it says much.

Hansbrough had a great college career. Hats off to him for that. His game relied on him being a lot more physical than his opponents, and being a couple years older than his college opponents helped him do that. He was impressive during his UNC stint, but doing what he did from age 20-23 isn't quite as impressive as if he would have done it from ages 18-21.

I'm warming up to the point where I hope we draft either Tyler or his teammate Ty Lawson this week. I just get Hibbert-vibes: If they work out like he appears to be, they could both be solid players that won't be stars, but won't disappoint, either.

Plus, I'm a believer in guys like this having a chance to improve. Rush was supposed to be just a jumpshooter. By the end of the year he was learning to drive to the basket to score, and he showed flashes of a nice up-and-under move in the mid-post.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'm warming up to the point where I hope we draft either Tyler or his teammate Ty Lawson this week. I just get Hibbert-vibes: If they work out like he appears to be, they could both be solid players that won't be stars, but won't disappoint, either.

Plus, I'm a believer in guys like this having a chance to improve. Rush was supposed to be just a jumpshooter. By the end of the year he was learning to drive to the basket to score, and he showed flashes of a nice up-and-under move in the mid-post.
    Agreed I am on that train to Hicks. As i said before if we could somehow either pull henderson or Hansbrough I would be ecstatic.

Yeah, Henderson sounds nice too, but with Granger and Rush and Dunleavy, I'm not as hot on him.

I'm a believer in that too. I'd be happy to get Lawson, and if we got a later 1st I'd be happy with Tyler. I think he'll have a role on a very good team as a hustle/energy guy. Nothing wrong with that, and him contributing points off the bench would be a bonus. A better scoring version of Foster IMO.

This year, unless Hansbrough sneaks into the upper half of Thursday's NBA draft (he's a possibility to go to New Jersey at No. 11), it's likely no college senior will be selected by a lottery-pick team.
    Terrence Williams is a senior and has a shot at going in the lottery.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wouldn't be too disappointed in selecting Hansbrough if we trade down. IMHO...He's a reach at #13.

Ty Lawson... No thanks!!!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    I wouldn't be too disappointed in selecting Hansbrough if we trade down. IMHO...He's a reach at #13.

Ty Lawson... No thanks!!!
    In some mock drafts they have him as high as 11, there is even a rumor that the nets are getting him at that position or that Detroit is getting either Tyler or BJ at 15

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    In some mock drafts they have him as high as 11, there is even a rumor that the nets are getting him at that position or that Detroit is getting either Tyler or BJ at 15
    Yeah, that is why I stressed that it was IMHO. "IMHO, he is a reach at #13."
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The comparisons on Ty Lawson's Draft Express profile is what scare the bajeeberz out of me:
    Best Case: T.J. Ford
    Worst Case: Jamaal Tinsley

I haven't cared for either those twos, style of play a PG... Find me a pass first floor leader that can hit his shots in the flow of the offense... not slow it down and look for their shot first like TJ gets in a habit of at times, and well we all remember JT...

I haven't really watched Lawson much... but just seeing those comparisons and the strength/ weaknesses listed scares me from us drafting him...
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

I am stringently against drafting Ty Lawson, for reasons that I have specified on other threads. I really hope the Pacers don't fall for drafting him.

As for Hansbrough, he just looks like McBob with a more refined offensive game. Both are energy players that are deceptively athletic. I like McBob enough to say that having Hansbrough seems to be redundant to me at this point, but I'm going to be looking more into Psycho T in the next couple of days and may change my mind.

But for the love of God, please no Lawson, unless Larry wants to use the draft to pick up another backup PG.

That best/worst case makes no sense. TJ and Jamaal are vastly different point guards, and that's speaking strictly of basketball. Different bodies, different skills, different mentalities.

Mood

That best/worst case makes no sense. TJ and Jamaal are vastly different point guards, and that's speaking strictly of basketball. Different bodies, different skills, different mentalities.
    Different bodies yes... But they both get/got into me vs them scoring mentalities/streaks, completely forgetting they have teammates at times...

Also the Pacers best ball movement always been when JT or TJ were on the bench...

I'm ok with TJ when he mixes up his scoring and creating for others... but last year he would go a qtr or 2 stretches where he only looks for his scoring...
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

36. The Following User Says Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Perish the thought. Why in the world would TPTB ever continue with the same strategy that has begun to turn the franchise around and make it both respectable and more competitive than its' record last season indicates? Heaven forbid they draft a player who is the nearest person in this draft to arguably the most popular Pacer not named Danny Granger who has played for the franchise since Reggie Miller, namely the aging Jeff Foster, AND add to that him having already gained a little more maturity than most of his counterparts in the draft by having spent four years developing in one of the most elite college basketball programs in history.

Why would we ever want TPTB to do that? How dare they even consider it.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post

Perish the thought. Why in the world would TPTB ever continue with the same strategy that has begun to turn the franchise around and make it both respectable and more competitive than its' record last season indicates? Heaven forbid they draft a player who is the nearest person in this draft to arguably the most popular Pacer not named Danny Granger who has played for the franchise since Reggie Miller, namely the aging Jeff Foster, AND add to that him having already gained a little more maturity than most of his counterparts in the draft by having spent four years developing in one of the most elite college basketball programs in history.

Why would we ever want TPTB to do that? How dare they even consider it.

Because there's a real good chance that he isn't going to be very good?