Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacers Free Agents to Sign and Not

Default Pacers Free Agents to Sign and Not

The Indiana Pacers have seven players going into free agency right now, and they have to decide who to sign and not. These players are the following below:

• F/C, Maceo Baston
    • G/F, Marquis Daniels
    • G, Travis Diener
    • F/C, Josh McRoberts
    • F/C, Rasho Nesterovic
    • G, Jarrett Jack

There are only three players I believe that the Pacers can keep. Let's go ahead and break everything down, why some players just have to go and why these players have to stay.

Maceo Baston

I think Baston just has to go, due to the fact the Pacers really didn't use him a lot during the rebuilding year of the 2008-2009 season. The 6'11" power forward averaged closed to three points, about one rebound, and 0.3 assists per game.

Baston is also aging as well, as he just turned 33 years old about two weeks ago. The Pacers can manage to keep him but I just don't think he will stay. It's better if he just moved on towards a different team. Baston is a good basketball player, but he just has to go.

Stay or Not? Not

Marquis Daniels

Daniels had his best year of his six-year career. The 28-year-old had close to 14 points, close to five rebounds, and two assists per game in the 2008-2009 season. Although, 6'6" was a backup, he made strong contributions towards the squad of Indiana.

Daniels is now going into his prime and is becoming a fabulous player for Indiana. After some pretty good years in Dallas, he is getting better over the years in his time with Indy. He has helped Indy well and he looks help them further in the 2009-2010 season.

Stay or Not? Stay

Travis Diener

Diener didn' play as much as the two guys in front of him (Jarrett Jack and TJ Ford) but he did play well at the ending of last season. He had close to four points, close to two rebounds, and two assists last year.

The 6'1" point guard had his career-highs in the 2007-2008 season as he played solid in his backup position, but last year was a little of a disappointment. Diener wasn't much of a contributor last year and I really don't see him coming back.

Stay or Not? Not

Josh McRoberts

McRoberts didn't do that much last year, mostly just playing the final games of the season. He had two points, two rebounds, and close to one assist per game. McRoberts never started a game last year, as he was stuck behind Roy Hibbert, Troy Murphy, Jeff Foster, and Maceo Baston.

The 6'10" power forward from one of the best college basketball colleges in the NCAA (Duke) looks to stay but I just can't stand him staying. I'd rather just see him go because the Pacers probably won't use him next year as well.

Stay or Not? Not

Rasho Nesterovic

Nesterovic played well last year in the Pacers lineup at center. The ten-year pro had close to seven points, close to four rebounds, and close to two rebounds per game.

The seven-foot center was pretty good last year with the skills he brought towards Indy. If he continues to play like he has been, which is being solid, I can see him staying for a couple of more years with the roster.

Stay or Not? Stay

Jarrett Jack

Ah, we are now at the ending of this article. And surely, Jack is going to stay with Indiana no matter what. Jack had 13 points, close to four rebounds, and four assists with the Pacers last year. Jack and TJ Ford made a pretty good one-two punch in the point-guard system.

Now with a possible chance of drafting Tyreke Evans, Eric Maynor, or even Brandon Jennings in the NBA Draft, Ford and Jack can be valuable mentors. And with Jack's great performance last year, I can see him staying more with the franchise.

Let this 6'3" point guard stay, he can be very good with the team.

Stay or Not? Obviously, Stay.

So that concludes that. If you care to agree/disagree with me, I'd be happy read it. I respect everyone's opinions.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers Free Agents to Sign and Not

I almost disagree with every single one of your picks, lol. Baston can go. McRoberts and Jack stay a reasonable price. Daniels go, at least at the $7 or so million he is owed. Way too much for a backup wing on this team. Rasho can go and don't look back. Diener can stay.

Quote Originally Posted by rocksballer58 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    • F/C, Maceo Baston
    • G/F, Marquis Daniels
    • G, Travis Diener
    • F/C, Josh McRoberts
    • F/C, Rasho Nesterovic
    • G, Jarrett Jack
    Buh-bye.
    Buh-bye.
    Keep.
    Keep.
    Buh-bye.
    Keep.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I never liked Maceo as a guy and definitly not as a player. I'm happy to see him go once again.

Anyone else notice his career in the NBA was TOR, IND, TOR, IND?

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

F/C, Maceo Baston - LET GO
    G/F, Marquis Daniels - LET GO
    G, Travis Diener - RE-SIGN
    F/C, Josh McRoberts - RE-SIGN
    F/C, Rasho Nesterovic - LET GO
    G, Jarrett Jack - Likely can't afford, LOOK TO SIGN-AND-TRADE
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

The 2 I really want to keep are definitly Jack and McRoberts.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rasho was a stiff after the first 20 games. Stiff does not equal solid.

Baston is not going to chose to leave, he is gone. McRoberts is a FA come July 1st. But which one is working out at Conseco.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyMurphy3 View Post
    I never liked Maceo as a guy and definitly not as a player. I'm happy to see him go once again.

Care to tell us why you just don't like him as a human being?

Quote Originally Posted by Burtrem Redneck View Post
    Care to tell us why you just don't like him as a human being?
    I'll be happy to.

I was at a Pacers road game in Philadelphia and I saw Maceo just standing there doing nothing and was inactive that night I think drinking Gatorade. So I yell MACEO!!!!! and he goes give me a second alright in a nasty, quiet voice.

I just found it funny that he's probably the worst player on the Pacers and I was a fan on the road and I actually knew who he was.

Hum, the thread states the Pacers have 7 FA and only lists and discusses 6. For those that don't know who the 7th is, it's Graham. So what's the verdict on him rocksballer 58?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Hum, the thread states the Pacers have 7 FA and only lists and discusses 6. For those that don't know who the 7th is, it's Graham. So what's the verdict on him rocksballer 58?
    Oh yeah Graham. How could I forget good old Steve.

Yeah he won't re-sign I don't think.

As a guy? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by rocksballer58 View Post

Maceo Baston

I think Baston just has to go, due to the fact the Pacers really didn't use him a lot during the rebuilding year of the 2008-2009 season. The 6'11" power forward averaged closed to three points, about one rebound, and 0.3 assists per game.

Baston is also aging as well, as he just turned 33 years old about two weeks ago. The Pacers can manage to keep him but I just don't think he will stay. It's better if he just moved on towards a different team. Baston is a good basketball player, but he just has to go.

Stay or Not? Not

He knows and accepts his role. His salary is cheap.

STAY

Marquis Daniels
    Daniels had his best year of his six-year career. The 28-year-old had close to 14 points, close to five rebounds, and two assists per game in the 2008-2009 season. Although, 6'6" was a backup, he made strong contributions towards the squad of Indiana.

Daniels is now going into his prime and is becoming a fabulous player for Indiana. After some pretty good years in Dallas, he is getting better over the years in his time with Indy. He has helped Indy well and he looks help them further in the 2009-2010 season.

Stay or Not? Stay

I can't disagree more, on numerous points

GO

Travis Diener
    Diener didn' play as much as the two guys in front of him (Jarrett Jack and TJ Ford) but he did play well at the ending of last season. He had close to four points, close to two rebounds, and two assists last year.

The 6'1" point guard had his career-highs in the 2007-2008 season as he played solid in his backup position, but last year was a little of a disappointment. Diener wasn't much of a contributor last year and I really don't see him coming back.

Stay or Not? Not

Cheap insurance at guard.

STAY

Josh McRoberts
    McRoberts didn't do that much last year, mostly just playing the final games of the season. He had two points, two rebounds, and close to one assist per game. McRoberts never started a game last year, as he was stuck behind Roy Hibbert, Troy Murphy, Jeff Foster, and Maceo Baston.

The 6'10" power forward from one of the best college basketball colleges in the NCAA (Duke) looks to stay but I just can't stand him staying. I'd rather just see him go because the Pacers probably won't use him next year as well.

Stay or Not? Not

I think you are going to have to learn to live with him being around. Athletic, energy, hustle, cheap.

STAY

Rasho Nesterovic

Nesterovic played well last year in the Pacers lineup at center. The ten-year pro had close to seven points, close to four rebounds, and close to two rebounds per game.

The seven-foot center was pretty good last year with the skills he brought towards Indy. If he continues to play like he has been, which is being solid, I can see him staying for a couple of more years with the roster.

Stay or Not? Stay

Rasho has a good mind for the game. His best value may be as a teacher. But I'm guessing he goes back home.

GO

Jarrett Jack

Ah, we are now at the ending of this article. And surely, Jack is going to stay with Indiana no matter what. Jack had 13 points, close to four rebounds, and four assists with the Pacers last year. Jack and TJ Ford made a pretty good one-two punch in the point-guard system.

Now with a possible chance of drafting Tyreke Evans, Eric Maynor, or even Brandon Jennings in the NBA Draft, Ford and Jack can be valuable mentors. And with Jack's great performance last year, I can see him staying more with the franchise.

Let this 6'3" point guard stay, he can be very good with the team.

[B]Stay or Not? Obviously, Stay.
    He got better as the season went on.

STAY

As to the one you missed, Graham? I am not really sure. Some games I liked what he did, other games..........well, not so much.

Banned

Diener is coming back
    Jack....maybe
    Maceo..gone
    Rasho.........gone
    Graham.....gone
    Mc Roberts........maybe gone. If the Pacers draft somebody they think could help in the second round or sign a free agent he is maybe gone.
    Marquis.....gone

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    As a guy? Why?
    I was at a Pacers road game in Philadelphia and I saw Maceo just standing there doing nothing and was inactive that night I think drinking Gatorade. So I yell MACEO!!!!! and he goes give me a second alright in a nasty, quiet voice.

I just found it funny that he's probably the worst player on the Pacers and I was a fan on the road and I actually knew who he was.

Keeping McRob is a no-brainer-he's cheap, athletic, energetic and wants to improve.

No one knows his upside and even a PF draftee at 13 with more talent isn't going to be much better than McRob the first year.Plus he's hometown so why wouldn't we keep him for a year or two?

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Even the 12th man is allowed to be either annoyed or just have a bad day. IMO!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

I agree with most of you..keep Mcroberts, resign Jack if you can, and i wouldn't mind keeping Diener if he didn't ask for much. Daniels would be the other person i would like to keep. It wouldn't break my heart if he left, but until dunleavy is back he would provide a little depth in the back court.

Quote Originally Posted by thefeistyone View Post
    I agree with most of you..keep Mcroberts, resign Jack if you can, and i wouldn't mind keeping Diener if he didn't ask for much. Daniels would be the other person i would like to keep. It wouldn't break my heart if he left, but until dunleavy is back he would provide a little depth in the back court.

Keeping Daniels would put the Pacers in LT Land, and that's not going to happen. He's gone.

Diener can't ask for anything, he's got a contract at 1.7 mil for next season that he either opts to stay or leave.

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    Keeping McRob is a no-brainer-he's cheap, athletic, energetic and wants to improve.

No one knows his upside and even a PF draftee at 13 with more talent isn't going to be much better than McRob the first year.Plus he's hometown so why wouldn't we keep him for a year or two?

Well said, I couldn't agree more. He's showing he wants to be a Pacer by his off season training.

You lost me when you used Marquis Daniels and the words
    'fabulous player' in the same sentence.

Decent player ? Sure. And I'd be ok with them hanging on to
    him for another year if he comes cheap and doesn't eat up any
    minutes that would otherwise go to Rush.

Or, they can jettison him. It doesn't really matter to me.

Deiner has a contract with HIS option to pickup so he was not really a free agent. But he did pick up the option so we will see him back which is GOOD!!!!!
    Daniels is hurt to much to pay 7 million a year -gone
    keep Jack /Roberts-let the rest walk

Let Marquis go. If you can trade him and get some good value do it but he is replaceable. He had a great year for the Pacers but once Dunleavy gets back it pushes Marquis or Rush out of the rotation and I would perfere that be Marquis. The Pacers can sign a decent backup in free agency. Have the Pacers picked up his option or not? I have't heard it announced.

Maceo can stay or go. He is not going to make a big impact with stats but he seems to be a good guy who is coachable. If he is cheap i'm fine with him as the 12th man.

Like Maceo Travis can stay or go. I love Travis as a third string point guard. I'm sure he wants more playing time though.

Josh McRoberts is someone I want the Pacers to keep around. Nice player off the bench.

Hopefully this team can re-sign Jarrett Jack to a reasonable contract. By reasonable i'm thinking 3-4 years and 15-20 million.

The only two i want to keep are McRoberts and Jack. All the other ones can get in a boat with tinsley and row out to an island somewhere. Just hope they have room for the Dienermobile!

I'll start off by saying Maceo and Rasho can most def walk.

Ok so Diener is staying as is reported he picked up his option which I am happy about. He is a good locker room guy, doesnt make many mistakes on the court, can hit the 3 and his cheap, all arounde good guy to have around.

If Jack can be had for a reasonable price, which I think he can with the economy what it is an so many teams in cost saving mode, then I hope we retain him. Not to mention the draft being so PG heavy even into the 2nd round with potential rotation guys.

McRoberts is a def retainer and I think its pretty obvious he will be kept with him working out at Conseco and getting so much press. I may be alone in this but I think he can def develop into either a starting PF or a 6th or 7th man that gets very solid minutes.

Daniels and Graham are a little more tricky. With Daniels we obviously dont keep him at his current price. The only way we keep him is if we resign him at a MUCH cheaper price or, if we have a trade worked out with a team that requires the full contract to equal out. Im not a big Daniels fan but he would help with depth without Dunleavy. For those who think he would take minutes from Rush before or after Dunleavy's return I say no. The only way that happens is if Rush blows it, he has shown that he has the ability now that I dont think even Dunleavy is going to do anything to stunt his growth when he gets back. With Graham I think it all depends on any trades or draft picks we get as to whether we try and resign him. If we end up with another guy who fills his role then we really just dont have the roster space for him (especially if we dont find a way to get rid of Jamaal God help us) Otherwise though hes a cheap guy who can come in and provide some athleticism and can hit the open jumper. If we can just get him not to shoot everytime he is open (something i think was in large part do to his status as an upcomming FA) So there yah go thats my opinion on the FAs we have this year