Thread: Pacers Talk: Is Roy Hibbert Ready?

Default Pacers Talk: Is Roy Hibbert Ready?

Roy Hibbert emerged in his rookie year, proving that he is star like he was back in Georgetown. Last year, the 7'2" center had averaged seven points and four rebounds per game.

Although he did play only 1,009 minutes that year, seven points and four rebounds per game is very good for a rookie center, you got to admit that. Hibbert also had a 7.94 efficiency rating, which is solid for a rookie center as well.

When Hibbert came onto the court, he took advantage of his size and rebounded every ball whenever he got the chance too. His 7'2" frame takes a big advantage and the Pacers were very lucky to get him.

His field goal percentage and free throw percentage were solid for his skills, as he had .471 in field goal percentage and was .667 in free throw percentage. Solid, isn't it? Also, in every game, he always had at least one block. In his last three games of the season, he had three blocks per game.

Probably one of his best games was against the Detroit Pistons in the 80th game of the season. He had nine points, four blocks, and eight rebounds. He played very well that game and improved as the games went on throughout the season.

Now here we are, this year. The Pacers have a chance at Lakers' stud, Lamar Odom. With him, it could help the team with rebounding the ball. The Pacers struggled last year and just couldn't improve.

But now as we have seen Roy Hibbert's skills last year, is it possible of him becoming the starter of the Indiana Pacers' squad?

I suggest we should talk about this issue. This is the talk, the Indiana Pacers talk that is.

Roy Hibbert proved himself that he is a worthy center in National Basketball Association. With the stats he had shown last year, many fans on Indiana think he is capable of performing much much better this year.

The Pacers were lucky that they got Hibbert in a trade (he was originally drafted by the Raptors). Indiana also got Brandon Rush in a trade that sent their draft pick in Jerryd Bayless to the Portland Trail-Blazers.

With Hibbert, the Pacers performed better when he came onto the court. He added more rebounds towards the squad as well as more blocks. The Pacers are more efficient when Hibbert comes into the lineup, as I and many NBA fans probably have observed.

The Pacers now have players going into free agency, two involving power forwards/centers. Rasho Nesterovic and Josh McRoberts are the players and I don't know if the Pacers can afford to keep them with their cap space.

If Nesterovic and McRoberts go, it'll be Jeff Foster, Troy Murhpy, and Roy Hibbert himself competing for starting spots. My prediction would be Murphy at starting power forward while Hibbert is at the starting spot for the center position.

Is Roy Hibbert ready, though?

After seeing how he has performed, he can change the whole pace of the game with his skills. It could be one heck of a lineup seeing T.J. Ford, Brandon Rush, Danny Granger, Troy Murphy, and Roy Hibbert all in one lineup. Then don't forget Mike Dunleavy, Jeff Foster, and Marquis Daniels who lead the way at the backup spots.

Hibbert has also proved that he won't end up the way David Harrison went. Harrison was a disaster. He had the same frame as Hibbert and was a number one draft pick but he failed to reach his peak with Indiana (he also took PEDs). Harrison is now part of the Beijing Ducks of the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA).

Hibbert, I hope, surely won't end up like Harrison.

Roy Hibbert is ready for the starting spot, and if he starts, the Pacers could be a contender for the playoffs. A 40-plus win-season could be waiting for Indiana, and that's an opportunity no one would want to let down.

Hibbert is ready, it's time to bring him in.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers Talk: Is Roy Hibbert Ready?

That wallpaper of him is my computer's desktop now.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Haven't seen enough of Hibbert to know if he is ready to be a full time starter or not but from what I did see I really enjoyed watching him play.

I remember a couple years ago hoping we would get lucky in the lottery or acquire a pick and be able to draft him in the top 10. I believe that was something like 2 years ago when it was thought he and Hasheem Thabeet would come out the same year. Both ended up going back to school.

Anyway I'm thrilled to have Roy, I'm incredibly, incredibly happy to have a big with some footwork, who works hard on both ends, and has great character. I don't think Hibbert will be an All-Star by any means but he should become a solid guy for the Pacers. I look forward to watching him on League Pass next year as he is the most intriguing Pacer to me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

I like Hibbert's size, drive and attitude, but he's got a long way to go. He lead the league in fouls per 48, just like David Harrison. I don't think he's ready to start, but frankly, we're not a very good team. We will continue to start him, I just would like to see him earn starter minutes.

I see you like Lamar Odom. I'm glad you found a way to put that in your Hibbert post.
    Last edited by maragin; 06-19-2009 at 05:42 PM.

Mood

What a horrible song for that video. Yuck.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rocksballer58 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But now as we have seen Roy Hibbert's skills last year, is it possible of him becoming the starter of the Indiana Pacers' squad?
    Huh?

He started 42 games as a rookie. I'd say he's already established himself as a starter.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    What a horrible song for that video. Yuck.
    It really gets me wanting to get up and dance.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Pacers did well last year in games that he stayed out of foul trouble.

So if he learns to not foul, then, yes, I would say he's ready.

I still find it hard to believe Roy got drafted at 17th. Lucky for us

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Maybe Roy is ready ... for some Long's Doughnuts!

Otherwise, yes, he can play in the league and has much room for improvement and the desire to make that happen. We are definitely lucky to have gotten him!

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    Huh?

He started 42 games as a rookie. I'd say he's already established himself as a starter.

Yep.

I think he'll start every game he plays in this year, unless he has an injury.

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by rocksballer58 View Post
    Roy Hibbert emerged in his rookie year, proving that he is star like he was back in Georgetown. Last year, the 7'2" center had averaged seven points and four rebounds per game.

Although he did play only 1,009 minutes that year, seven points and four rebounds per game is very good for a rookie center, you got to admit that. Hibbert also had a 7.94 efficiency rating, which is solid for a rookie center as well.

When Hibbert came onto the court, he took advantage of his size and rebounded every ball whenever he got the chance too. His 7'2" frame takes a big advantage and the Pacers were very lucky to get him.

His field goal percentage and free throw percentage were solid for his skills, as he had .471 in field goal percentage and was .667 in free throw percentage. Solid, isn't it? Also, in every game, he always had at least one block. In his last three games of the season, he had three blocks per game.

Probably one of his best games was against the Detroit Pistons in the 80th game of the season. He had nine points, four blocks, and eight rebounds. He played very well that game and improved as the games went on throughout the season.

Now here we are, this year. The Pacers have a chance at Lakers' stud, Lamar Odom. With him, it could help the team with rebounding the ball. The Pacers struggled last year and just couldn't improve.

I suggest we should talk about this issue. This is the talk, the Indiana Pacers talk that is.

Roy Hibbert proved himself that he is a worthy center in National Basketball Association. With the stats he had shown last year, many fans on Indiana think he is capable of performing much much better this year.

The Pacers were lucky that they got Hibbert in a trade (he was originally drafted by the Raptors). Indiana also got Brandon Rush in a trade that sent their draft pick in Jerryd Bayless to the Portland Trail-Blazers.

With Hibbert, the Pacers performed better when he came onto the court. He added more rebounds towards the squad as well as more blocks. The Pacers are more efficient when Hibbert comes into the lineup, as I and many NBA fans probably have observed.

The Pacers now have players going into free agency, two involving power forwards/centers. Rasho Nesterovic and Josh McRoberts are the players and I don't know if the Pacers can afford to keep them with their cap space.

If Nesterovic and McRoberts go, it'll be Jeff Foster, Troy Murhpy, and Roy Hibbert himself competing for starting spots. My prediction would be Murphy at starting power forward while Hibbert is at the starting spot for the center position.

After seeing how he has performed, he can change the whole pace of the game with his skills. It could be one heck of a lineup seeing T.J. Ford, Brandon Rush, Danny Granger, Troy Murphy, and Roy Hibbert all in one lineup. Then don't forget Mike Dunleavy, Jeff Foster, and Marquis Daniels who lead the way at the backup spots.

Hibbert has also proved that he won't end up the way David Harrison went. Harrison was a disaster. He had the same frame as Hibbert and was a number one draft pick but he failed to reach his peak with Indiana (he also took PEDs). Harrison is now part of the Beijing Ducks of the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA).

Roy Hibbert is ready for the starting spot, and if he starts, the Pacers could be a contender for the playoffs. A 40-plus win-season could be waiting for Indiana, and that's an opportunity no one would want to let down.

Hibbert is ready, it's time to bring him in.
    Thanks for this post. Quite informative!

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He averaged 3.1 fouls in 14.4 minutes.

The reason he started was so that he would develop a repoire with the refs.

[
    All I keep recalling about Hibbert last year were the announcers from other teams constantly commenting about how physically weak Hibbert was. He could easily be pushed off the block by their forwards, and even guards would take the ball away from him. If he's going to be our long term solution at Center he's got to get a LOT stronger and tougher. Granted, it may be another year or two before he fully grows into his body, but he better get started on a serious strength regiment this summer!!!

quote=rocksballer58;896532]Roy Hibbert emerged in his rookie year, proving that he is star like he was back in Georgetown. Last year, the 7'2" center had averaged seven points and four rebounds per game.

&nbsp
    &nbsp

Hibbert is ready, it's time to bring him in.[/quote]

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Go Roy! That video isn't safe for work, just in case.....I know, I am old.

Mood

I think Roy still has a ways to go, but I would like to see him starting this year. It takes longer for bigs to develop and as long as he keeps up the intensity in the weight room and continues to make strides in his cardio, he'll be ok. Roy has the NBA body, he just needs to fill it out a bit more.

Order more copier toner. Haggard's Avatar

The big fella has a soft touch around the ring and is learning to take it hard to the rack too.. good on him..

conditioning and strength.. thats what he needs to work on.
    Haggard's Blog: Can't Buy a Basket. Covering the highs and lows of the NBL

Roy will be a VERY good center in this league. How we got so lucky to draft him at the spot we did just amazes me. The only problem he really had with his game this year was his fouls. This is something that can easily be fixed with him. He wants to block EVERY shot instead of playing straight up. With a little discipline he will be able to jump up to 25 -30 min a game.

The main difference between him and David was David was a ANIMAL. He was the center everyone wanted only without the tools upstairs. He tried to overpower his opponents every time on offense and defense committing DUMB fouls. Often times pushing other players and just swinging carelessly at the ball. He didn't want to try to play REAL defense which is a shame because he could of been a very good player in this league with his height and sheer power.

The thing I like about hibbert is he tries to play with finesse on the offensensive end. As he adds on bulk that is only going to help him. Power player try to over power their opponents often times losing control when they actually shoot the ball. See dwight howard as an example. How many times did we see him push gasol out of the way only to BLOW a layup because he was off balance. He has always been BIG so the finesse game is hard for him to learn.

I look forward to him playing along side murphy for another season or two. It is going to give him PLENTY of space in the lane to really develop his one on one game. I could easily see him average 12-14 ppg this year.

If Hibbert can get a handle on his fouling he will be a star. He was a little bit weak this year but I have to commend the guy on his dedication to getting into shape. Compared to his time in college he looked like a different player he was much more lithe and appeared to have a much lower bodyfat % as a pro. If he can keep the body fat down while also adding some muscle this offseason he could be a real beast next season.

As far as footwork and offensive skill that doesnt rely on athleticism I am very encouraged. The only thing he needs to do is jsut slow down just a little. Some of the moves I saw him use during the year were jaw dropping but half of them werent converted because he was going a little to fast (which is to be expected of a rookie center) I just like the fact that he actually uses some nice low post moves as opposed to just trying to jump over everyone or overpower them. On that note however there are times he tries to lay it up that he should just throw it down, but he def got better as the season progressed at that. I think "Big Roy" will be just fine.

Hibbert is going to be a Rik Smits type of guy once he develops. Probably around 14-16pts a night and 7-8rebs. a game add in 1.5 blocks and you have a very solid contributor. He will be like Z for the CAVS provide us an advantage on the Offensive end but be exposed on Def. especially the pick and role.

Overall a very nice offensive foundation with athletic limitations.