Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henderson and Hansbrough workout for Pacers

Default Henderson and Hansbrough workout for Pacers

Gerald Henderson and Tyler Hansbrough have their workout interviews up on Pacers.com .

Henderson seems very well spoken

Hansbrough seems to have a chip on his shoulder in my opinion. Sounds determined to do well.

I wouldn't mind either of these guys. Not sure how I feel about Hansbrough at #13, but I like the kid.

I like Henderson backing up Rush as well.

I can't wait for Thursday!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Henderson and Hansbrough workout for Pacers

I think it's funny these two worked out together. Saying they had a few scrapes in their college career is an understatement considering Gerald about broke Tyler's nose.

Maybe they've patched things up due to how UNC and Duke players frequent the same spots, and Ellington being GH's best friend, but weird that they're in the same pairing.

http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5800027260

Workouts offered some hints for draftniks
    Jun 19, 2009
    Heading into the process, the Pacers didn't hide their biggest areas of interest in the NBA Draft: power forward and point guard.

Their workouts did little to soften that focus.

Of the 42 players brought in, by far the biggest numbers were at those two positions: 11 apiece.

Something else, though: less than one-third of the players the Pacers worked out are generally projected as first-round picks.

Does this indicate an interest in trading back? Or picking up extra second-round picks? Or maybe they're just being really thorough in researching their rookie camp prospects.

At the point, the Pacers worked out five likely first-rounders: Jrue Holiday (UCLA), Brandon Jennings (Italy), Ty Lawson (North Carolina), Eric Maynor (VCU) and Jeff Teague (Wake Forest).

Of the 11 power forwards, howevers, just DeJuan Blair (Pitt) and Tyler Hansbrough (North Carolina) are first-round prospects and some would argue the latter's merits.

My dark-horse position all along has been the wing and there the Pacers have worked out Gerald Henderson (Duke), Chase Budinger (Arizona), Sam Young (Pitt) and James Johnson (Wake Forest).

There's been just one first-round center, B.J. Mullens (Ohio State).

What does it all mean?

The Pacers will have plenty of options and unless they've fallen in love with a certain lottery prospect like Holiday, Jennings, Blair or Henderson, they might just be able to move back to find what they like at a lower price.

Henderson's family connection a bonus?
    Henderson's name has been linked to the Pacers in a few mock drafts, mainly because of the team's potential for glaring need at the wing with the likely losses of Marquis Daniels and Stephen Graham to free agency and the uncertain status of Mike Dunleavy.

"It's a team I'd love to play for," Henderson said after working out Friday. "They have a fast-paced kind of motion offense, which I think I'd do really well in. So this is a place I'd definitely love to play."

Here's something to ruminate on as you ponder what the Pacers might do on Thursday: Henderson's father, a point guard who played 13 NBA seasons, won two championships as Larry Bird's teammate in Boston.

The younger Henderson said his father has offered plenty of advice about the draft process.

"I'm going to play hard every day," he said. "Every game, every practice, I'm going to bring it."

Hansbrough moving into Pacers' range?
    Though his college record is impeccable, Hansbrough has faced quite a bit of scrutiny in terms of his NBA prospects. Though reports from other workouts, including the NBA Draft Combine, indicate he's answered many of the questions about his athleticism, it's obviously still a sore subject for the North Carolina star.

When asked why there was skepticism about his prospects, Hansbrough replied, "It's just because I'm a national champion, I'm pretty good and I was a former player of the year. I'm pretty good. I'm not a perfect player. If they find a perfect player, I guess they can criticize me because there is no perfect player."

A borderline second-round prospect on most mock draft boards a month ago, Hansbrough has moved into the middle of the first round on most. He believes he'd help fill the Pacers' need at power forward.

"That's what I'm here for," he said. "That's why I chose the Pacers to come out and work out for. I think I'd fit in really good and I'd add a lot of help, power forward-wise."

Fast breaks
    # Bird will hold his pre-draft media briefing Monday at 1 p.m. at Conseco Fieldhouse. We'll have full coverage, including a blog and video, from that session.
    # The final Live Fan Mock Draft is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday at Noon. It's tentative only because the Pacers may schedule one final workout session that day. If not, we'll go live Tuesday. Stay tuned for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Someone needs to tell him that Taj Gibson and (to a lesser extent) DeMarre Caroll are PFs now being projected at the bottom of the first round in many mocks too.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

I like Henderson. He's going to be a solid player in this league for a long time. Only question I have is whether his selection is kind of redundant with Rush and Granger appearing to have locked up the 2 and 3 position for the 7 years or so. Yes, I know we have depth issues with Graham and Daniels leaving and Dunleavy's injury, but MDJ appears to be doing well in rehab, and I'd rather just sign some veteran for 1-2 million for a season than invest in a position that we already have locked up long-term. That's just me. Seems like we could position ourselves into a Harrington situation where he was stuck behind Jermaine and Artest.

I can't get a link to Henderson's interview. Is it working for everyone else?

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

All that talk about Henderson was kind of a downer for me. I guess I'm kinda hoping we go in a different direction. Nothing against him, but I hope we are still looking at PF or PG. Drafting another wing just doesn't thrill me.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Banned

I am fine with anybody else but Blair, he has bust writen all over.(I think)

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I tend to agree. No Blair, Mullins or Daye at 13.

Daye doesn't appear to be an option thankfully since he hasn't worked out for us.

I don't see Mullins being the guy either, I hope that either NJ takes Blair so we don't have to make that decision, or we have a player at #13 that we simply can't pass on.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    I tend to agree. No Blair, Mullins or Daye at 13.

Daye doesn't appear to be an option thankfully since he hasn't worked out for us.

I don't see Mullins being the guy either, I hope that either NJ takes Blair so we don't have to make that decision, or we have a player at #13 that we simply can't pass on.
    I also agree, even though that Mullins looks pretty intriguing to me, he could at least be a nice back up for Hibbert, he is really long in the likes of Gortak and athletic. Remember that if this guy was in the draft straight from high school he could have been the number 1 pick in the last year draft I think.

Mood

I still do like Blair if we could trade for a pick in the 20's if he were still there. I am not sure I'd take Hansbrough at that same pick, unless he really wowed at the workouts.

In theory I'm fine with a wing if he's BPA, but I expect there will be a good point guard available, and I expect we'll take him.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

I,m wondering if Henderson has the potential to play pg. He has the size they,re looking for. I've not seen him play, just a thought. He speeks well, his dad was a pg with LB long ago. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by pacerfreak View Post
    I,m wondering if Henderson has the potential to play pg. He has the size they,re looking for. I've not seen him play, just a thought. He speeks well, his dad was a pg with LB long ago. Any thoughts?
    Williams has a better skill set to approximate the PG role. In fact, I'm getting closer and closer to hoping that T-Will is our pick. He'd quickly make us forget about losing Daniels (except for Daniels' driving/scoring), he'd capably & immediately back up both Rush and Granger, he'd pair beautifully with Dunleavy on the second team once MD returns, and he has potential to serve as an (occasional) big PG. I wish I knew more about the whispers of some blot on his attitude sheet (anyone? anyone?), but I do discount JOB's retort to Seth inquiry about T'Will's need to learn how to shoot. Yeah, so does Daniels -- still! $7.4 million/year later! -- at least from 3-pt land.

The majority of us, it seems, want to replace Ford with a larger PG of high (if raw) potential. I imagine our composite PG wish list would be ordered: Evans, Holiday, Jennings, (Lawson), Maynor. In turn, we seem to have cooled on Blair, Johnson appears to be dropping in the mocks, we don't seem sold on Clark (who may be gone by #13 anyway), and Mullens and Daye are "right out!". (My prediction about Mullens, however, seems to be holding, and if it's true that Detroit has promised to take him at #15, he may yet serve as a way for us to trade down to our advantage.)

Bottom line, from a composite PD perspective (as I read things): "If either Holiday or Jennings are still available, we take 'em. Else, we try to trade down. Else, we take ... BPA?" That's probably Williams. A senior from a big-time program. A leader. (A quirky one, but that could play well here, as long as his values are solid.) So in response to the laudable suggestion that we try to acquire the two national champions, Lawson and Hansbrough, I counter that better would be to acquire the two Cardinals. Clark's potential has me swooning for what ails the Pacers, but Williams may be the better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFife View Post
    Williams has a better skill set to approximate the PG role. In fact, I'm getting closer and closer to hoping that T-Will is our pick. He'd quickly make us forget about losing Daniels (except for Daniels' driving/scoring), he'd capably & immediately back up both Rush and Granger, he'd pair beautifully with Dunleavy on the second team once MD returns, and he has potential to serve as an (occasional) big PG. I wish I knew more about the whispers of some blot on his attitude sheet (anyone? anyone?), but I do discount JOB's retort to Seth inquiry about T'Will's need to learn how to shoot. Yeah, so does Daniels -- still! $7.4 million/year later! -- at least from 3-pt land.

The majority of us, it seems, want to replace Ford with a larger PG of high (if raw) potential. I imagine our composite PG wish list would be ordered: Evans, Holiday, Jennings, (Lawson), Maynor. In turn, we seem to have cooled on Blair, Johnson appears to be dropping in the mocks, we don't seem sold on Clark (who may be gone by #13 anyway), and Mullens and Daye are "right out!". (My prediction about Mullens, however, seems to be holding, and if it's true that Detroit has promised to take him at #15, he may yet serve as a way for us to trade down to our advantage.)

Bottom line, from a composite PD perspective (as I read things): "If either Holiday or Jennings are still available, we take 'em. Else, we try to trade down. Else, we take ... BPA?" That's probably Williams. A senior from a big-time program. A leader. (A quirky one, but that could play well here, as long as his values are solid.) So in response to the laudable suggestion that we try to acquire the two national champions, Lawson and Hansbrough, I counter that better would be to acquire the two Cardinals. Clark's potential has me swooning for what ails the Pacers, but Williams may be the better choice.
    One thing I learned about Bird the GM last year is do not be suprised to see he drafts someone based on Best player available even if the pacers are not targeting him to use as trade bait. This draft is fairly weak so maybe it is not going to happen, but I learned that Bird does not mind moving down if the player he wants will be availlable. So for instance if Holiday falls to 13 I would expect Bird to pick him up but not keep him if that is not the player he wanted. I personally would love to see a player like Holiday fall, trade a couple spots down and maybe (fingers crossed) Henderson is available and they can grab an extra later round pick and also get Hansbrough. Man I would go nuts over that.
    Last edited by jhondog28; 06-20-2009 at 10:22 AM.

Hansborough had quite an impressive workout yesterday. That guy is an animal..

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sobchak View Post
    Hansborough had quite an impressive workout yesterday. That guy is an animal..
    Can you elaborate on this? I'd appreciate it. I'm still somewhat intrigued by Hansborough even though most poo-poo his pro prospects.

(Unintentional alliteration FTW!)

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Can you elaborate on this? I'd appreciate it. I'm still somewhat intrigued by Hansborough even though most poo-poo his pro prospects.

(Unintentional alliteration FTW!)

I was just impressed by how hard he competed. He was diving for loose balls and hustling his *** off. The guy was also extremely coachable. Granted he wasn't going against the best prospects but he scored easily on the low block and played solid defense. He also has a nice mid-range game.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Sobchak For This Useful Post:

I was just impressed by how hard he competed. He was diving for loose balls and hustling his *** off. The guy was also extremely coachable. Granted he wasn't going against the best prospects but he scored easily on the low block and played solid defense. He also has a nice mid-range game.
    I think the biggest misgiving I might have about the guy is that it doesn't seem like he has a very strong low post game, which is really a dimension we need to add, and soon.

Did you get any sense watching him yesterday that there was any low-post potential there?

In his interview, he comes off as no-nonsense and serious, and his feelings appear to be a bit hurt from all the press talk.

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    I think the biggest misgiving I might have about the guy is that it doesn't seem like he has a very strong low post game, which is really a dimension we need to add, and soon.

Did you get any sense watching him yesterday that there was any low-post potential there?

In his interview, he comes off as no-nonsense and serious, and his feelings appear to be a bit hurt from all the press talk.

I think his bread and butter will be getting points on putbacks and hitting midrange jumpers. There were numerous occasions yesterday where he made a nice move, missed the layup, then gathered it back in for a putback while getting fouled badly.. I kind of like his scoring potential - way better than Foster at least which I guess isn't saying much...

[yt]hehZQdVbG9I[/yt]
    Henderson ftw.

I think his bread and butter will be getting points on putbacks and hitting midrange jumpers. There were numerous occasions yesterday where he made a nice move, missed the layup, then gathered it back in for a putback while getting fouled badly.. I kind of like his scoring potential - way better than Foster at least which I guess isn't saying much...
    Second this notion. I love players with his attitude. Every game I watched him play he outhustled the opposition both on the offensive and defensive ends. I can see him as a rookie getting into a lot of foul trouble though. But I woudl be pretty happy to pick him up. Its not like he did not play against top competition when he was in college.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DrFife View Post
    Seth and UncleReg has brainwashed me on him so much that I totally agree. The one thing our Team needs is athleticsm, PERIMETER DEFENSE and Players that not only understand the Team concept that promotes moving the ball but has above average passing skills for a GF. I'm gonna trust in UncleReg's assessment that concerns about his shooting is off since Pitino worked on his shooting halfway through the season ( which improved his overall shooting ) and that he's totally coachable where he can improve in this area.

Some team is gonna draft him ahead of us and I'm gonna be sad come draft night.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by tora tora View Post
    [yt]hehZQdVbG9I[/yt]
    Henderson ftw.
    If we had to draft a GF and can't get TWill, I'd be perfectly fine with Henderson. I loved those blocks......could he be a cross between Granger and BRush?

I'm probably stretching....but I'd love a Granger/BRu****Will (or Henderson ) GF rotation for the next couple of years.

He has a strong pedigree, can defense, shoot, is atheletic and is a product of the one of the best College Coaches in the last decade.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I don't understand this?

I respect your opinion and all but where besides his height does he look like a bust. I could see maybe never living up to all the hype and fame but I can't see him as a bust. At the worst I could see him as a role player.

I normally call a person a potential bust based on poor work ethic, injury proned and very glaring physical limitations. Blair has none of those. NOte: His wing span and standing reach puts him right in the average as a pf. I guess you could be scared off by his knees but who knows if those reports are true or not.