Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wells Blog and McMuscles

Default Wells Blog and McMuscles

Granger's back in the gym

Posted by Mike Wells

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/

THE `BURBS - To no surprise, Danny Granger spent quite a bit of time in the gym this week.

The Pacers All-Star wasn't in the gym working on isolation moves or defensive drills, two areas of his game he wants to improve on, though.
    He was going through instructional drills with about 50 kids at Park Tudor High School.

This is the first year Granger has held a basketball camp in Indianapolis. He normally holds his camps in New Mexico, which he will continue to do.
    "I signed a long-term extension with the Pacers so I figured it was time to have one here," Granger said during a recent lunch break at Park Tudor. "I've always had roots in New Mexico, and I still will, but now that I will be here, I want to start it here."

Granger recruited some of his former college teammates to help out at the camp. A couple of Granger's current teammates - Brandon Rush and Roy Hibbert - were expected to make an appearance at the camp.
    "What we do with the kids is teach them different aspects of the game, but we also want them to remember it's about team work, working hard and having fun.

"Basketball is a game that is played to have fun. I think a lot of times it's so serious because of AAU and college. Some kids don't even have fun playing anymore."

Granger never got caught up in all the AAU hype while growing up in the New Orleans area. He didn't play AAU basketball until the summer before his senior season, which is likely why he wasn't heavily recruited coming out of Grace King High School.

Speaking of his basketball camp in New Mexico, Granger said they had to move the date back to early August so that he can take part in the USA Basketball training camp, which could lead to him playing in next year's World Championships and the 2012 Olympics, in late July in Las Vegas.
    "I think in four years a lot of the players won't be playing anymore or on their way out (the NBA)," Granger said. "It would be a great honor to play in the Olympics if I make it."

I've been hearing rumors about how Josh McRoberts has been living in the weight room this offseason.

I saw it with my own eyes when I ran into him at Conseco Fieldhouse earlier this week.

McRoberts said he's put on 20 pounds of muscle since the end of the season.

The Pacers plan to do their best to re-sign McRoberts, who appeared in 33 games last season.

A Pacers official told me they envision McRoberts being like Denver's Birdman. They like McRoberts' athleticism, energy and rebounding ability off the bench.

North Carolina's Tyler Hansbrough and Duke's Gerald Henderson highlight the final day of workouts for draft prospects at the fieldhouse on Friday.
    Here are the other players taking part:

--Cedric Jackson (Cleveland St.)
    --Kevin Rogers (Baylor)
    --Anthony Smith (Liberty)
    --Scott VanderMeer (Illinois-Chicago)

I asked Granger what area the Pacers need to address most in the offseason.

"Everyone knows we need an inside presence, that's an area of concern," he said. "I don't think point guard is a real problem. We have three already. It depends on how free agency goes."

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Wells Blog and McMuscles

With 20 pounds of extra muscle, sounds like we might just have a 4 after all. Woo hoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With 20 pounds of extra muscle, sounds like we might just have a 4 after all. Woo hoo!
    Exactly, I wonder if it's upper body muscle weight and if it will impact his athleticism. I'd say at his age, if he can put on 20 lbs of muscle that he'd have a good chance of continuing to get even stronger as he gets older. I think that could really bode well for him.

Thats a ton of muscle mass to add in a short time, but the way he looked I really doubt he ever lifted seriously before, so it's very possible. I really hope he plays summer league ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Exactly, I wonder if it's upper body muscle weight and if it will impact his athleticism. I'd say at his age, if he can put on 20 lbs of muscle that he'd have a good chance of continuing to get even stronger as he gets older. I think that could really bode well for him.

Thats a ton of muscle mass to add in a short time, but the way he looked I really doubt he ever lifted seriously before, so it's very possible. I really hope he plays summer league ball.
    He lifted a good amount in high school, but for whatever reason his body just never showed it. He couldn't add the weight that well and was never "cut" by any means. So maybe his body is just developing and filling out a bit late. But good for him, that could be huge. I can definitely see him in that Andersen role, a more athletic Foster. Very happy for him, and I'm glad the Pacers are going to keep him around.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Hopefully Roy is hitting the weight room, too. He could easily stand an extra 20, also, regardless of it making him slower. He already had problems defensively due to late rotations and poor defensive footwork, so learning to adjust a little more quickly would not hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    Hopefully Roy is hitting the weight room, too. He could easily stand an extra 20, also, regardless of it making him slower. He already had problems defensively due to late rotations and poor defensive footwork, so learning to adjust a little more quickly would not hurt.
    Ehhh, I'm not sure I want Roy adding extra weight to his frame. Guys that big don't want to carry too much weight, it is murder on their knees. Plus like you mentioned, he's slow as it is. He needs to be more fleet on his feet.

Granger needs to call some guys in, so who does he call? Rush and Hibbert. Beautiful.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Another interesting thing was I remember Danny saying he's been calling his PG (JJ) in the offseason, but now it seems he realizes that may end up not being the case. Not major, but I I'm glad to hear Danny understands the nature of it and doesn't start thinking he can make personnell decisions cuz he's the face of the team.

Another interesting thing was I remember Danny saying he's been calling his PG (JJ) in the offseason, but now it seems he realizes that may end up not being the case. Not major, but I I'm glad to hear Danny understands the nature of it and doesn't start thinking he can make personnell decisions cuz he's the face of the team.
    Where are you getting this?

I am a little worried with Mc Roberts putting on lbs due to fact he should be developing on his shooting. If this does not hurt his range I am a big fan of the extra weight. I just hope he can pass a steroids test he did go to Carmel Highschool afterall.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Where are you getting this?
    I'll have to find it, maybe it was in an interview when he won the MIP that he had been in regular contact with his Point Guard and he was referring to Jack.

I'll have to find it, maybe it was in an interview when he won the MIP that he had been in regular contact with his Point Guard and he was referring to Jack.
    I think he was talking about the part of it not being the case anymore.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I am a little worried with Mc Roberts putting on lbs due to fact he should be developing on his shooting. If this does not hurt his range I am a big fan of the extra weight. I just hope he can pass a steroids test he did go to Carmel Highschool afterall.
    what range?
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I think he was talking about the part of it not being the case anymore.
    Yes, as cdash says.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Ehhh, I'm not sure I want Roy adding extra weight to his frame. Guys that big don't want to carry too much weight, it is murder on their knees. Plus like you mentioned, he's slow as it is. He needs to be more fleet on his feet.
    Roy doesn't need to get huge, but come on. He had a horrible time getting shoved around in the post after he got an entry pass. A forearm in the back bent him over. It was too easy to get him off balance.

His legs and arms don't have much definition, either. He needs a lot of core work with some lifting. He could remain wirey and still put on 15 pounds of muscle.

Mood

He doesn't need to put on pounds. He just needs to work on his strength. As I understand it, you do that without adding (much?) weight.

I'm not even sure definition is a big part of it, either. I think back to Olympic weight lifters who have huge, fat-looking bodies, but damn it if they aren't strong as hell.

I also think of the term "wiry strength."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    He doesn't need to put on pounds. He just needs to work on his strength. As I understand it, you do that without adding (much?) weight.

I'm not even sure definition is a big part of it, either. I think back to Olympic weight lifters who have huge, fat-looking bodies, but damn it if they aren't strong as hell.

It's true that you can add strength without putting on too many pounds, mainly by increasing reps and reduceing amount lifted with each rep. "Wiry strength" is something your born with and not acquired through weight training. There is no substitute for bulk when it comes to tusseling down low.

See, I'm not sure Roy needs to bulk up though. I think footwork and proper positioning in the post would go a long way towards alleviating his being pushed around. I'd love to see him hit the weights, but I'd be mildly concerned if he strolled into camp with 15-20 extra pounds. Guys his size really have to be careful how much weight they put on their knees/feet.

This is true.

I'm just nervous because I associate added muscle/weight gain with what happened to Jermaine.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Physically he looks to be making the change, but skill wise he needs a little bit more. I have confidence that it can happen.

May be a Gracie brazillian jujitsu lesson for foot speed, positioning, and using your hips and the weight you have would help. It is a lot easier to resist being pushed around when your foundation is solid.

Just the first thing that came to mind, and it has been a while so I thought I would share.

Mood

I so hope this muscle translates well to the court next fall for Josh. I kept saying last season to myself or whomever I was sitting with at the games that he just looked like he was getting pushed around and that if he came back noticeably stronger, he could be something because he's so scrappy, so athletic, such a jumper.

A lot of times he'd swoop in for what would/should be a great rebound or dunk, only to just lose the board or just miss the dunk because he got bumped. He he can still "swoop" like that with the added bulk/strength, he could turn a corner.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Granger needs to call some guys in, so who does he call? Rush and Hibbert. Beautiful.
    My same thought.

But why? Because they are more available as rooks/sophs or because they have the same attitude and vision as Granger? Be interesting to know.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

I kept saying last season to myself or whomever I was sitting with at the games that he just looked like he was getting pushed around and that if he came back noticeably stronger, he could be something because he's so scrappy, so athletic, such a jumper.

A lot of times he'd swoop in for what would/should be a great rebound or dunk, only to just lose the board or just miss the dunk because he got bumped. He he can still "swoop" like that with the added bulk/strength, he could turn a corner.
    This is also true. Next to being out of position on the floor (and possibly shooting), I thought Josh's biggest weakness was his strength.

My fear is that 20 lbs. will have a significant impact on his #1 attribute. I know it's more muscle too, but has anyone tried jumping with a 20 lb. weightbelt?

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Yes, as cdash says.
    Ya, it's not in that piece. Man, I am all over the place trying to soak up info, let me exhale.

Okay, here is what I think I saw. On channel 6 or 8 last night (I think 6) they had an interview with DG at Danny's Basketball camp at Park Tudor. I think Danny said something along the lines of that you never know what might happen in regards to Jarret Jack and something that made me think he was prepared to get his mind around it, if they he can't be resigned. How is that for a great reference.

I'm sorry, did anyone see that interview at Danny's camp.

I absolutely love the NBA draft, but I tend to let it all kinda run together, obviously.

I swear I didn't intentionally try to not make sense!!!