View Poll Results: Who was the worst coach for 2000-present?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Larry Bird

0 0%
  • Isiah Thomas

27 77.14%
  • Rick Carlisle

0 0%
  • Jim O'Brien

8 22.86%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst 2000-present coaches

Default Worst 2000-present coaches

Who was the worst coach for the years 2000 to present?

Default Re: Worst 2000-present coaches

I was torn on this one. As far as winning percentages go this would be hard, but overall talent on the teams makes this more difficult. I just went with OBrien but I could easily have gone with anybody. I actually liked Carlisle the best out of all of them.

Carlisle as actually good. Too bad our team just sucked that time
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anyone who thinks JOB is worse than IT must not have been around for the IT era.

For the talent he had, IT is the worst coach I can remember for the Pacers. A really great coach could have taken us really far those years.
    Last edited by idioteque; 06-18-2009 at 02:26 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thomas hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone who thinks JOB is worse than IT must not have been around for the IT era.

For the talent he had, IT is the worst coach I can remember for the Pacers. A really great coach could have taken us really far those years.
    for the talent he had? he had a bunch of 20somethings playing the best basketball of their careers...ron artest, jo, tinsley, b miller, bender, harrington etc all had their best careers under thomas. do we forget that thomas inherited a pacers team that was supposed to be in rebuilding mode? yet thomas took them to the postseason all 3 years he was here. and nobody can blame thomas for the personal issues to the players that occured in year 3 that led to our demise.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    for the talent he had? he had a bunch of 20somethings playing the best basketball of their careers...ron artest, jo, tinsley, b miller, bender, harrington etc all had their best careers under thomas. do we forget that thomas inherited a pacers team that was supposed to be in rebuilding mode? yet thomas took them to the postseason all 3 years he was here. and nobody can blame thomas for the personal issues to the players that occured in year 3 that led to our demise.
    Those guys were left-overs. There was no demise, just stagnancy. They weren't great, they weren't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Those guys were left-overs. There was no demise, just stagnancy. They weren't great, they weren't bad.
    artest, jo, tinsley, and b miller played on the finals team? news to me. harrington and bender didn't see really any time until thomas was coach.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

artest, jo, tinsley, and b miller played on the finals team? news to me. harrington and bender didn't see really any time until thomas was coach.
    I could "almost" by sympathetic to this. But I think your previous post underestimates how badly Zeke's ego hurt the team for a long time. Jalen Rose single-handedly brought Zeke to Indy. And his reward? 1.5 seasons of public verbal abuse and then a trade. The lack of trust - and also enabling (Carlos Rogers, anyone?) - that began under Zeke was the foundation of Rick's problems (Rick could fix the oncourt x's and o's but couldn't fix the interpersonal problems and they eventually caught up to him.)
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

i don't understand how job, who has done nothing for this team, is viewed as a better coach than somebody who helped shape and form a team that won 60+ games and nearly win an nba championship. zeke was a horrible coach at ny, yes, but the man developed our players and had guys playing with intensity. those pacers teams were much more fun to watch than the garbage job has put out.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Mood

I wasn't talking about the guys we got from the Chicago trade.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    I wasn't talking about the guys we got from the Chicago trade.
    reggie and jalen were the only returning starter from the 90s teams that zeke inherited...even jalen had arguably his best season under zeke before he was traded.
    Last edited by croz24; 06-18-2009 at 03:51 PM.

Mood

reggie and jalen were the only returning starter from the 90s teams that zeke inherited...even jalen had arguably his best season under zeke before he was traded.
    Okay, I give up. You're smart...I'm dumb.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Rick Carlisle took the same talent, sans All-Star center Brad Miller, to the Eastern Conference Finals in his first season. That same team that Isiah couldn't get out of the first round of the playoffs. So while I applaud Isiah for getting a young team to the playoffs on two occasions (post-Chicago trade), the talent level was very high. His first season he had arguably the two best players from the previous season's Finals team returning (Reggie and Rose) which, combined with a few mediocre vets, was enough to put together a mediocre .500 season.

I'd rank O'Brien's 36-win season last year more impressive than Isiah's 48-win season with three current or soon-to-be All-Stars (J.O., Artest, and Brad Miller). Not to mention Reggie was still one of the league's most efficient scorers.

the talent level was high for carlisle because thomas DEVELOPED it

i don't understand how job, who has done nothing for this team, is viewed as a better coach than somebody who helped shape and form a team that won 60+ games and nearly win an nba championship. zeke was a horrible coach at ny, yes, but the man developed our players and had guys playing with intensity. those pacers teams were much more fun to watch than the garbage job has put out.
    God help us all i actually agree with Croz. I do not think JOB has been a bad coach with what he has adopted but there is no way you can call a coach successful when he has never taken his team to the playoffs even once. A lot of people could argue that JOB's system will never be successful. While Thomas did his job and won games while he was here whether it had to do with having more talent or not.

Gotta go with Isaiah Thomas hands down. Couldn't get us out of the first round. Thats what stands out to me.
    Fire up that tank and drive it to the lottery then to the draft

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I think Thomas should get some credit for the player development that took place when he was here. JO, Jalen, Al, Tinsley, Brad, etc. all played quite well for him - some of the best seasons of their careers.

But he was sooooo terrible at game time coaching. The "Quick"? Come on. He couldn't just run out of timeouts in a playoff game (bad enough) but he took Reggie out of the game in the last twenty second (during Celtics FTs) with no timeouts - putting Foster in to rebound - AND THEN he discovered that we couldn't stop the clock to get Reggie back into the game. Oops.

And a certain amount of his success was from mixing gasoline and lighter fluid. You get a big bang when you do that. You also get scorched.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Oh come on Duke what has happened to all your sunshine? It is normally a welcoming presence on this board.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by jhondog28 View Post
    Oh come on Duke what has happened to all your sunshine? It is normally a welcoming presence on this board.
    I just had to stand up and do my happy dance. I do not look forward to doing it again today...

Last edited by duke dynamite; 06-18-2009 at 04:34 PM.

ISIAH THOMAS!

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Really? Did I black out the 2002, 2003, and 2005 seasons when he was in the playoffs? Once the ECF, another the semis?
    I only follow the Pacers so before he got here I did not pay attention.

Really? Did I black out the 2002, 2003, and 2005 seasons when he was in the playoffs? Once the ECF, another the semis?
    I apologize for this. I struck a tone I don't like others to take with me, so I shouldn't be using it myself.

But O'Brien was in the playoffs three times before coming here. Unless someone can explain to me how he could become worse now than he was then, I have to assume the lack of playoffs is the roster he's dealing with.

Honestly, I think this year's team would have been in the playoffs if Mike hadn't been out. I really do. I know not everyone agrees with that.

Mood

I apologize for this. I struck a tone I don't like others to take with me, so I shouldn't be using it myself.

But O'Brien was in the playoffs three times before coming here. Unless someone can explain to me how he could become worse now than he was then, I have to assume the lack of playoffs is the roster he's dealing with.

Honestly, I think this year's team would have been in the playoffs if Mike hadn't been out. I really do. I know not everyone agrees with that.
    Forgiven...lol

Yeah, I agree. Mike really did some damage (not just to himself) when he came back for those 18 games.

There are more, but here's some fun stuff from Bill Simmons...circa 2002:

4. "So it got me to thinking --"
    "Really, you're thinking now? That's big."
    To Isiah Thomas ... it was tough for you to top last year's abominable coaching performance, but you actually managed to pull it off. How could the Pacers possibly miss the playoffs in the watered-down East with that much talent? How could a team with this many quality players play so listlessly and ineffectively together? How could a team blow this many big leads? It's almost impossible. Keep changing the players, Isiah -- it must be their fault.

(My favorite Isiah moment: When they blew an 18-point second-half lead against the Celts two weeks ago, Isiah kept Brad Miller on the bench for the entire fourth quarter, even though Miller kills the C's and Boston was playing Rodney Rogers at center. You would have thought Isiah had money on the C's. How does he not get fired this summer? How? What more does he have to do? He even did a better job running the CBA, and the league went bankrupt.)
    http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/...simmons/020411

30. The Following User Says Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post: