Thread: Pacers Cocktail Party w/JOB

Default Pacers Cocktail Party w/JOB

Anyone else here attend this event last night? I was invited after a snafu with my RSVP for the open house resulted in me missing that event a couple weeks ago. It was held in the Legends area of the Fieldhouse and I must say I was quite impressed. Now I'm not a big money guy but they really made me feel like one. And I ended up buying a mini package for the weekends because you know what? I really am excited about the future of this team for the first time in a long time.

While I do realize an event like this is designed to sell tickets and you aren't going to hear any negative talk, I really did enjoy listening to JOB speak and I felt like he was being straight forward and not trying to blow any smoke. I had a chance to personally meet him after he was done talking and he really seems like a personable, likable guy.

So you know what? I'm getting rid of the negative feelings I've had in recent years and I'm going give JOB and this team an honest chance in the coming season without any lingering bitterness coloring my viewpoint. Honest to god, last night was something I needed to really re-energize me as a Pacers fan.

Oh that and winning a pair of court side tickets for the home opener did not hurt.

Default Re: Pacers Cocktail Party w/JOB

Quote Originally Posted by Big Smooth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone else here attend this event last night? I was invited after a snafu with my RSVP for the open house resulted in me missing that event a couple weeks ago. It was held in the Legends area of the Fieldhouse and I must say I was quite impressed. Now I'm not a big money guy but they really made me feel like one. And I ended up buying a mini package for the weekends because you know what? I really am excited about the future of this team for the first time in a long time.

While I do realize an event like this is designed to sell tickets and you aren't going to hear any negative talk, I really did enjoy listening to JOB speak and I felt like he was being straight forward and not trying to blow any smoke. I had a chance to personally meet him after he was done talking and he really seems like a personable, likable guy.

So you know what? I'm getting rid of the negative feelings I've had in recent years and I'm going give JOB and this team an honest chance in the coming season without any lingering bitterness coloring my viewpoint. Honest to god, last night was something I needed to really re-energize me as a Pacers fan.

Oh that and winning a pair of court side tickets for the home opener did not hurt.
    Whens the home opener? Who are we playing? I thought the schedule isnt released till later in the year
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Congrats. Welcome to the club.

I like JOB too, he was a cool guy. Met him at a Philly airport on the way back to Indy. His wife was nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    Whens the home opener? Who are we playing? I thought the schedule isnt released till later in the year
    Correct, the schedule has not been released and obviously no tickets are even printed up at this point. But when all of that does take place, I will be getting two court side tickets in the mail. The other prizes were mainly autographed gear, free parking, etc. I had eyes only for the court side tickets though and got a lucky spin of the wheel.

Correct, the schedule has not been released and obviously no tickets are even printed up at this point. But when all of that does take place, I will be getting two court side tickets in the mail. The other prizes were mainly autographed gear, free parking, etc. I had eyes only for the court side tickets though and got a lucky spin of the wheel.
    Nice...I want to make it for the Pacers home openers this year.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

One of the things JOB talked about was "small ball" and his definition of it........which from what I recall is one center, one forward and then 3 guys who can flat out shoot. As such he considers Orlando to be a "small ball" team despite having a monster in the middle in D12.

Also he said he would have lost a lot of money if he bet on the Cleveland/Orlando series but he thought the key was the Cavs could not keep Z and Sideshow Bob on the court at the same time because neither one could effectively keep track of Rashard Lewis on the perimeter.

Regarding Dunleavy he reiterated what we have heard about the surgeries went very well but from his standpoint, he has to assume Mike will not be there next season and if he does play, it is icing on the cake. He also said if you saw Mike just walking down the street you would have no idea he just had those operations.

He mentioned when Dunleavy's agent informed himself & Larry Bird that they wanted to get the hip worked on too, that Larry said "well get his teeth whitened too while you are at it."

JOB was questioned about the defense last season and he mentioned we did finish 15th (I believe he was talking about FGA but I'm not sure) which is middle of the pack and that we dug a deep hole early in the season due to having 7 new players including 3 rookies. So he really seems to believe having a fairly stable returning roster will help quite a bit although he did say you never know, Larry might work some deals and we'll have 8 new players. Pretty sure he was joking LOL.

He thinks Granger can be a consistent All Star. He doesn't see him being a Kobe/Lebron kind of player but a very steady All Star caliber player.

Says team chemistry is absolutely great and he loves coaching this group.

On the FA front he mentioned that Larry is interested in some athletic bigs but he could not mention specific names. He said we have about $3.5-4.0 million to spend.

Welcome to the "Sunshine Club". There is plenty of room now but I suspect it will fill up quickly.

I would rather be the hammer than the nail

JOB also mentioned we are looking to get more athletic if possible.

Awesome info, and congrats on the courtside seats.

Any guesses on the athletic bigs Bird is interested in?

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman02 View Post
    Awesome info, and congrats on the courtside seats.

Any guesses on the athletic bigs Bird is interested in?
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...eeagents-09-10

I found this listing and I think it might help form some ideas.