Thread: "Comparison"

Default "Comparison"

There are a lot of indignant comments in this forum right now saying that this or that comparison is bad or wrong. Several posts insist that a particular comparison can't be made.

But look: To compare one thing to another is not necessarily to say they are identical. In fact, it makes sense to compare things that are not identical. Comparing one penny to another would get old pretty quickly.

But comparing apples to oranges is perfectly reasonable. Both are fruit, but oranges provide more vitamin C. Apples grow better in cool climates. Oranges are juicier.

So comparing DeJuan Blair to Charles Barkley isn't necessarily wrong. Both are short, strong and aggressive power forwards. Barkley's career proves that a power forward with sufficient skills can (or could in the 80s) succeed in the NBA despite being short.

Blair still has everything to prove in his career, but the Barkley comparison at least discredits the argument that power forwards must be tall to succeed.

And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: "Comparison"

You can compare apples and oranges as long as you don't insist that both are apples or oranges.

Most people do a pretty good job of pointing out the difference.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Agreed. Analogies and comparisons help us make sense of the uncertain and allow us to connect what we don't know with what we do.

It'd be difficult to explain what an alpaca is to someone who'd never seen one. But I can tell them it looks like a llama and they'll get it. Sure, an alpaca's not exactly a llama, but it's close enough that the comparison works.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, I think most people do a good job pointing out the difference as well.

Just because Ricky Rubio sort of reminds me of Steve Nash and Brandon Jennings reminds me of Jason Kidd and Mark Jackson doesn't meant I think Rubio and Jennings will necessarily be that good, just that they have a similar skill set and they have a chance of being "that type" of player in the NBA if they pan out.

The problem is accepting a comparison based upon a few facts, like height, college, etc. and drawing an illogical conclusion.

>Reggie Miller was a high scoring tall (6'7") guard from UCLA.

>Ed O"Bannon was a high scoring tall (6'8") guard from UCLA.

>>Hmmm...It's NBA draft time. I say Ed O'Bannon will be a Hall of Famer because he is roughly the same size as Reggie Miller, went to the same college, accomplished as much (or more) in his college career. He practically is the next Reggie Miller.

One of the problems with comparisons is that the good players stick in our minds more. Everybody is optimistic on draft day, and the big guy with (realistically) "David Harrison potential" is instead deemed "the next Robert Parish".

Though this comment may be too political, It also ticks me off that there is such a racial element to it. The big sweet-shooting white guy is "the next Larry Bird", the white PG is "the next John Stockton" wheras the black PG is "the next Chris Paul" and the black PF is "the next Tim Duncan". Why can't the white guard who can shoot the lights out but do nothing else ever called "the next Craig Hodges" or "the next Eddie House"?

/rant off

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But comparing apples to oranges is perfectly reasonable. Both are fruit, but oranges provide more vitamin C. Apples grow better in cool climates. Oranges are juicier..
    Just a guess, but "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" wouldn't by chance be your favorite movie, would it?

I just don't like that saying "look at Barkley" as the example that someone his size can be sucessful. That's like saying hey look at Mugsy Bogues in reference to every other 5'3" guy who plays ball. It doesn't make sense because Barkley was an anamoly as was Bogues.

It's more like Apples and a beach balls, not oranges. Blair should be compared to Milsap and the like, if that's even valid.

What I'm saying is Barkley has almost NOTHING in common with Blair except they both play basketball, but yet Barkley keeps getting mentioned as to why Blair can be sucessful.

So what I'm saying is well look Beach balls, they can be a delicious fruit because well look at how Apples are round. Beach balls are round, just like Apples. Mmmmm, Beach Ball.

But I digress, the point is Harold Minor, he was baby Jordan. The guy that Detroit drafted instead of Melo was the next Dirk. I know we aren't saying Blair is the next Barkley, but it's almost as ridiculous, imho, to hold him up as any reason whatsoever as to why Blair may be sucessful. One has nothing to do with the other. Chuck was a once in a couple of generation freak. Chuck wasn't even as tall as Blair. So really the only comparison is that they both played basketball and were considered small for their position. I think you could just as easily say Blair is small, but look at Spud Webb.

Anyway, I really don't have a huge beef about it, I just thought I would point out that I don't think it's applicable. Sorry, if I've offended anyone, no malice intended.
    Last edited by Speed; 06-16-2009 at 03:33 PM.

My favorite is the fact that people never compare players of different races.

I've just been comparing Blair to Barkley because if I compared him to Dale than Peck would start humping his leg.

Seriously, for those who haven't seen Blair, well, actually, then you're probably one of those people who like the NBA but don't like college basketball, so I have no use for you. But for those who just never got around to seeing Pittsburgh, Blair is nothing like Barkley. The only reason his name is ever brought up is because of all the people who just look at his stats and say, "uh, 6'7", that's unacceptable. He can't possibly be any good simply because of his height."
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    I've just been comparing Blair to Barkley because if I compared him to Dale then Peck would start humping his leg.

Quick, where the new nomination thread for next year's awards?

Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    Just a guess, but "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" wouldn't by chance be your favorite movie, would it?
    No. But....why?
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    I've just been comparing Blair to Barkley because if I compared him to Dale than Peck would start humping his leg.
    This begs the question what would have happened if Peck had met Dale Davis in the restroom instead of Scot Pollard?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Only "legitimate" "comparison" allowed here, please.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post: