Thread: Sammy Sosa tested positive ??

Default Sammy Sosa tested positive ??

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4264062

Shocking news.

Why don't they just release the entire list of the 104 that tested positive and get it over with ??

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Sammy Sosa tested positive ??

Major league baseball can't because of an agreement with the union. I'm sure they will filter out as people will continue to break confidence and blab to prove they know something.

I loved Sosa. My brother was living in Chicago @ that time and he was just electric for the city. Sprinting out to right field with the crowd going wild.

Sammy has done great things donating money to Dominican Republic and advanced the game of baseball more than hurt the game.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm stunned.

He hit over 60 homers 3 times, but never led the league in homers in any of those 3 years. That's the steroid era in a nutshell right there.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Yeah... there's a real surprise... Sosa was juiced too.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I loved Sosa. My brother was living in Chicago @ that time and he was just electric for the city. Sprinting out to right field with the crowd going wild.

Sammy has done great things donating money to Dominican Republic and advanced the game of baseball more than hurt the game.
    Totally disagree.

While he didn't individually create the situation, he is 100% responsible for it. The steriods era is the worst thing that has happened to baseball, even worse than the White Sox fiasco. There is a black cloud, and will continue to be, over the entire league. People like Ibanez are now having to defend themselves when there is no proof, not one iota of evidence suggesting they're cheating.

We live in a time where one single blogger, an anonymous person giving their personal opinion on their own site, can cause a national story because he/she says that a player is dirty.

Instead of having to prove that a player cheated, players now have to prove they didn't/aren't, and Sosa directly contributed to the situation.

I'm not shocked at this news at all. There's a reason Sammy Sosa hit the long ball very well between '98 and '01 and it had nothing to do with him suddenly becoming a gym rat. Of course, the test results were of '03. Still, my point is I've suspected Sosa, McGwire and Bonds were all juicin' for a long time. IMO, there's a reason their individual performances all went downhill after the 2005 Congressional hearings. Simply put, IMO, they all backed off taking steroids because the heat was on them, but w/o the drug(s) none of them were able to duplicate their homerun hitting feats of recent year's past.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm watching ESPN and they should a 2005 Baltimore Oriels program and on the cover of it is a picture of Palmero, Sosa, and Tejada.

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    I'm not shocked at this news at all. There's a reason Sammy Sosa hit the long ball very well between '98 and '01 and it had nothing to do with him suddenly becoming a gym rat. Of course, the test results were of '03. Still, my point is I've suspected Sosa, McGwire and Bonds were all juicin' for a long time. IMO, there's a reason their individual performances all went downhill after the 2005 Congressional hearings. Simply put, IMO, they all backed off taking steroids because the heat was on them, but w/o the drug(s) none of them were able to duplicate their homerun hitting feats of recent year's past.

Everyone knows Sosa, McGwire, and Bonds juiced, but they are just the tip of the iceberg. This goes much, much, much, much deeper than them.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was listening to this on Cowherd. Man is that guy a prick to the fans. I am all against steroids, but is there no point-counter point with this guy?

Since 86, The worst thing to happen to baseball is Pete Rose is not in the hall of fame. I am very bias!!!

I hate Selig. He had to know these guys were on juice and turned a blind eye.

I do not know if you were a card collecter. I am a little older but look at these cards McGuire with the A's pre 1990, Sosa with the White Sox, and Barry Bonds with the Pirates.

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I hate Selig. He had to know these guys were on juice and turned a blind eye.
    There is a lot of blame to go around. You cannot single out Selig without also acknowledging the players themselves, coaches, managers, dealers, medical practitioners, the pharmaceutical industry, society at large, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sweabs View Post
    There is a lot of blame to go around. You cannot single out Selig without also acknowledging the players themselves, coaches, managers, dealers, medical practitioners, the pharmaceutical industry, society at large, etc.
    I full heartedly blame it on Selig. It shouldn't need to be written in that any substance deemed illegal by the federal government is a banned substance. Those things should automatically be tested for. It wasn't. That's not about the league not having enough power to get the players union to sign off on it, it's about not caring/having enough balls to put it in writing. When a substance becomes banned by the government, it should automatically be banned by every major sport. Period.

As far as Pete not being in the HOF, I agree it's nothing short of a travesty. There's no evidence he bet while as a player. He should be elected into the Hall as a player only. (Not that he could get in as a manager) He should have a plaque, and on it, it should say that he admitted to betting on baseball.

I find it very troubling that one of the greatest hitters, if not THE greatest hitter, of all time might be swept out of brains of baseball fans after my generation. His name should be up there with players like Willie Mays, Ted Williams, Hank Aaron, etc.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

One of the worst things to happen to baseball is that some people still want to defend Pete Rose.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I full heartedly blame it on Selig. It shouldn't need to be written in that any substance deemed illegal by the federal government is a banned substance. Those things should automatically be tested for. It wasn't. That's not about the league not having enough power to get the players union to sign off on it, it's about not caring/having enough balls to put it in writing. When a substance becomes banned by the government, it should automatically be banned by every major sport. Period.
    I agree, but he is not the only one to blame for the steroids problem in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I find it very troubling that one of the greatest hitters, if not THE greatest hitter, of all time might be swept out of brains of baseball fans after my generation. His name should be up there with players like Willie Mays, Ted Williams, Hank Aaron, etc.

I think he should be officially in the HOF, but the highlighted statement above isn't really true. Rose donated over 20 artifacts to the HOF museum, and many of those are on display. I know people who have been there and seen them. So while he isn't enshrined in the HOF, there are still ways to find out a little about him in the museum. I don't think he's going to be fading from memory. Everyone still knows who Shoeless Joe Jackson is.

http://web.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers/faq.jsp#rose

Could it be that the all-time hits leader and the all-time home run leader will never be in the Hall of Fame?
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by sweabs View Post
    I agree, but he is not the only one to blame for the steroids problem in baseball.
    I blame him the most. Check his reign. The pitching mound was lowered and the ball was wound tighter giving hitters the advantage. Do you remember the marketing slogan "Chick Dig the Long Ball". More Homeruns More Money. He cashed in along with a lot of people.

Baseball upset a lot of people when they had strike. Then Mac/Sosa both shatter 61 people come back. Everybody cashes in MLB cashes in. 6 Years later the workers (Sosa/Mac) get thrown under the bus and the owners/commish get off scott free. That is not right.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    One of the worst things to happen to baseball is that some people still want to defend Pete Rose.
    And yet I bet you would defend other cheaters.

Care to tell us how awful Terry Bradshaw is?

Sosa always has been and always will be one of my favorite Cubs players. My memories of 1998 are not tainted at all. I just think people try too hard to place the game of baseball on this mystical level. It is just a game like football or anything else. Football players get busted for PED and nobody cares.

That is just my opinion though, I don't expect others to agree. It isn't anything I feel like arguing over.

I was gonna post something about that, and I think the reasoning is because of what's already being discussed.

Bud Selig.

Football started testing for steroids in 1989. They started handing out fines/suspensions in 1990. Baseball had to have the federal government come in and force their hand.

Most big time sports are a freak show.

7 foot guys that are nimble ?? 350 lb linemen running 4.8 40s ?? Throwing a ball 100+ MPH ??

They're freaks to start with. I guess some just want to get freakier. Hell, just let them all juice, inject - whatever they want to do. Maybe someday we'll see someone actually explode during a game.

Taking steroids in sports and without permission is just a way to cheat.

Banned

Shocked! I say, I'm shocked!