Thread: New Dunleavy blog entry..........

Default New Dunleavy blog entry..........

Pretty good stuff. I'd also recommend The Hangover

http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5800027136

Short recovery leaves time for workouts, movies, ping-pong
    Jun 16, 2009

The recovery from my latest surgery -- on the left hip -- is going well. I was pretty sore for the first few days but was able to ditch the crutches last Monday. By Thursday, I had my stitches out and was back in the pool jogging.

Since it is the opposite leg from my right knee surgery I have been able to keep up with a lot of the rehab exercises for the knee while my hip heals. By the time I'm fully back from my hip, I won't have lost anything in my knee -- which is why it made the hip surgery a no-brainer.

I see where my man Mike Wells at the Indy Star raised the question of why I waited get my hip done. Mike should've been able to figure out it would've been impossible to operate on my left leg when my right leg can't bear any weight.

How would I have gotten around? In a barrel? I had to wait until my right leg was sturdy enough to hold up my left hip. That time period didn't come until the last few weeks so that's why I just had it done.

"The Hangover" might be worth another look

I had a pretty low key week since I was unable to do much on my hip. One thing I had to do was see that new movie "The Hangover." Wow. Absolutely hilarious.

It was the best comedy I've seen since "Old School." I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. If you have yet to see it, do yourself a favor and get to the nearest theater.

I may go back again this week. It was that funny.

Missed opportunity must be tough on Magic

I would like to give my two cents on the NBA Finals but I feel so bad for the Magic I just can't do it. Those guys gotta be kickin' themselves. They should easily be up 3-2 but instead they're cleaning out their lockers.

Coach O'Brien has a saying that he breaks out a few times a year when we make bonehead mistakes or give a game away. He says "it makes me physically ill to my stomach."

That phrase has to sum up the state of the Magic right now. Gotta be tough to swallow. Oh well, congrats to the Lakers. They are worthy champions.

No golf, so ping-pong will have to do. Alright, I'm off to the sporting goods store to get myself a ping-pong table.

Since my knee and hip are preventing me from getting out on the golf course, I've taken up table tennis as my summer '09 leisure sport.

Come September, I think I'll be ready to take on any and all challengers.

Game. Set. Match.

Sports Logo

Default Re: New Dunleavy blog entry..........

Quote Originally Posted by Dunleavy's Blog
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mike should've been able to figure out it would've been impossible to operate on my left leg when my right leg can't bear any weight.

How would I have gotten around? In a barrel? I had to wait until my right leg was sturdy enough to hold up my left hip.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

He's absolutely right about "The Hangover" saw it last weekend. Glad he's recovering.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Mood

Good to see that Dun is in good spirits and that the knee was sturdy enough to hold the hip weight after the surgery. Makes a lot of sense now that I thought about it. Hopefully a quick recovery and a healthy Dun for the P's.

"Makes me physically ill to my stomach."

Awesome.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

What's the story with Duns injury the way you see it. Me, I was under the impression that he would be back by game 1 (Halloween). RealGM says he won't be back until 2010 which is January at the earliest. His blog even says that he will be ready in Sept.

He has a new blog post if you have not seen it.
    Last edited by aceace; 06-27-2009 at 12:40 PM.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Thumbs up Re: New Dunleavy blog entry..........

Pretty good stuff in this one..I'll take the highlights:

Anticipating another memorable draft night
    Jun 23, 2009
    http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5700039030

I'm really pleased with how my knee is doing right now. In fact, I am even a little surprised how well it's doing. It feels as strong and stable as I can ever remember.
    good

I used to avoid putting weight on it when I'd get in and out of the car or stand up out of a chair; now those things are a piece of cake. I just have to keep reminding myself that it's OK to do after favoring it for so many years.
    Damn, it was that bad?

My left hip on the other hand, is a different story. It's still pretty sore. I can push through my workouts but I feel it the whole time.

That's to be expected, though, since I'm only a couple weeks out of surgery and they said it would be four to six weeks until I feel really good again.

In the meantime, I imagine I'll stay pretty frustrated because my knee is doing so well and the hip is nagging.
    Not scared yet, but getting nervous.

Gerald Henderson and Tyler Hansbrough were in last week together. There were no forearm shivers or bloody noses to report. They played nice. People make a big deal out of the Duke/Carolina rivalry but in general we get along pretty well.

When I played with Antawn Jamison in Golden State we would talk a lot of smack and make friendly bets on the games but it was never dirty. He was a great teammate and looked out for me. I never held it against him that he picked the wrong college!

If not for the hip, I'd be thrilled right now. Sounds like he was doing as well as he did in '07-'08 while on a bad knee the entire time. Impressive.

The hip doesn't yet worry me at all. If hes reporting the same problems in a month I'll worry. Right now it's normal. My dad had several hip surgeries and he certainly wasn't working out inside of two weeks.

I'm kinda stunned by how bad his knee must have been, though. How could you play on that?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I'm not expecting a miracle, but if this keeps up, what is Dunleavy's potential?

I've always thought Dunleavy was a sub-par 4th quarter player. His play really slipped a lot as games wore on, and now I'm wondering how much his knee was an issue.

Maybe we'll see a Dunleavy that can play a full game more consistently.
    Last edited by imawhat; 06-27-2009 at 03:35 PM.

I am telling you from personal knowledge that Dun had a lot of issues in GS with his knees. He never used it as an excuse for his streaky nature in GS but I know there were days when they hurt him badly and you could see it in his gameplay. When the offense got slow or he sat on the bench a lot in the first half due to foul trouble his knees would stiffen up and his shot would suffer. I think that is why he had such a good year the year before last mainly because his was in constantly in motion and the trainers did a fabulous job of stretching him out, massaging and medicating his injury. That is why I believe 100 percent when he comes back he will be back or maybe even better than his old self. My only concern is psychological in that he will be playing catious on it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhondog28 For This Useful Post:

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I don't want to jinx anything, but the thought of Dunleavy at 90% gets my hopes up.

First, I think it would be a great feel-good story that he can play pain free and return to the NBA. He's a good guy and a worker, and I don't think this miracle second chance will be wasted on him.

And on a selfish note, it would solve a lot of depth problems for us to the point that the wing player we would look for will not necessarily need to play serious minutes.

Dunleavy coming back would improve the team tremendously.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    Last edited by Los Angeles; 06-28-2009 at 11:06 AM.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    I don't want to jinx anything, but the thought of Dunleavy at 90% gets my hopes up.

First, I think it would be a great feel-good story that he can play pain free and return to the NBA. He's a good guy and a worker, and I don't think this miracle second chance will be wasted on him.

And on a selfish note, it would solve a lot of depth problems for us to the point that the wing player we would look for will not necessarily need to play serious minutes.

Dunleavy coming back would improve the team tremendously.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    Agreed. This really makes me feel better that he is doing well.

I want him back as the 6th man ASAP. I think it would be the best spot for him, and the team. Plus we'd get to see what we have in Rush. I hope for the best!

-- Steve --

From the moment we drafted Tyler Hansbrough everyone keeps asking me what it's going to be like to play with a Tar Heel.

To tell you the truth, I don't see him as a UNC guy or our Tobacco Road rival. I see him as a fellow member of the National Championship fraternity (you have to have won the NCAA tournament to attain this exclusive membership).

For that reason, we -- along with Brandon Rush -- have a lot more in common than people think. So any time people try to give us a hard time about the Duke/UNC rivalry, we can just ask them what their ring looks like and that should end that.

Everyone in the organization is very excited to add Tyler as well as A.J. Price to the mix. We know Tyler is a hard worker and a winner.

Turning the corner with knee and hip

Have I even mentioned that my knee is coming along great? I'm doing stuff in the weight room that I haven't been able to do since high school. I really can't believe how well it's going.

I know I have to get through a lot more tests but right now I'm out on the basketball court moving around and putting a fair load on it -- all this with no soreness during or after the workout.

My hip is also doing well. I feel like this week I am turning the corner. It is a whole lot less sore and I am getting increased range of motion in there. Needless to say, this is very encouraging, as well.

A personal tribute to the King of Pop

With a busy week in all respects, I'd be remiss not to mention something about the King of Pop. The first music tape I ever owned was Michael Jackson's "Bad." I was 6 or 7 years old and I listened to it non-stop.

In the past few days, I've watched so many pieces on his life and career. It just blows you away how gifted the guy was. With the exception of Danny Granger and his legendary singing ability, Michael Jackson is in a class all by himself.

With respect to those who have come before and will come after, we won't ever see a greater entertainer than M.J. From the singing, the dancing, the writing, the music videos, the concerts all over the world, this guy did it all. His talent and innovation were ridiculous.

I've always said if there was one concert I could see, it would be Michael Jackson anytime, anywhere. I guess I'll have to cross that off the bucket list for the wrong reason.

RIP MJ.

Hate to end on a morbid note ...

... so happy Fourth of July to all.
    http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5700039557

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacers For This Useful Post:

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If true, I still play it causious if I'm the Pacers, but if definately sounds like Dun will be back t/y, & may be able to contribute down the stretch.
    The causious thing to remember is that workouts & practice is one thing, but the grind of back-to-back game, w/ the pounding & intensity of daily abuse in the NBA is another, & there are going to be set backs ahead. Just because camp is still 3 months away does not mean he will be ready by then either, but the signs are good for him & his future. Sounds like not having to cut the ligaments & removing the spur may be what gets Dun back much quicker then anyone perdicted. Remember, this is a 1st of its kind, so noone really knows.

Overall, good news!!!
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post:

I've been posting for a while now - about a month after his knee surgery - that I believed MDjr would be back alot sooner than expected. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if he was ready to go (even in a limited capacity) by the start of the season, but certainly not later than mid-Nov. His progess has been too rapid not to have him back long before Thanksgiving.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to NuffSaid For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Ditto, I was going to pull the same quote. Good think I didn't have a drink in my mouth. Not even sure where he got barrel from, but it sure sounds funny.

The first music tape I ever owned was Michael Jackson's "Bad." I was 6 or 7 years old and I listened to it non-stop.
    Sure, rub it in already. Freaking kids.

New update as MD was down in Orlando this week: http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5700039940

Starting to feel more like a player than a patient
    Jul 10, 2009

I've spent the better part of this past week in Orlando with our summer league team. The whole training staff has been down here and they didn't want to leave me behind in Indy all by myself.

Probably figured I would go off and be stupid and try something I'm not ready for. So to prevent their masterpiece from being destroyed, I agreed to come down to Florida to continue training and rehab.

The week went well for me and the team. At the time that I am writing this, they are undefeated at 4-0 and our roster players have played great. Both Roy and Tyler have been dominant inside. It's also clear that A.J. Price is a very good decision-maker for a young player.

The only downside of the week has been injuries: McRoberts got hurt after playing well in a couple games and B-Rush never really got going because of a knee injury. Fortunately, nothing is too serious (like mine) and they should easily be ready for training camp (unlike me).

Dry inside but rain and muggy outside

When the team played their games, I would go over with them and get my rehab and workout in. The Magic let me use their facilities: training room, weight room and court. It made for a pretty good setup.

The only complaint I have for all week is the weather -- rainy and muggy most of the time. But it was always dry in the gym where I spent most of my time.

One of the great things about being down here (as well as being in Indy all summer) is that it has given me the opportunity to spend time with Brandon, Roy and Josh. We've gone to movies, had dinners and bonded during our workouts.

It's always great to spend time with your teammates in the offseason because you get to know them in a totally different way than during the season. Hopefully, it will help us out on the court this coming season.

After four months of rehab, finally, a vacation

After another successful week, I am going to take a mandated vacation next week. The training staff has kind of pushed me into it since I haven't taken any time off since surgery on March 6. They told me that I'd be crazy to think I can go all the way through the start of training camp without a break.

This comes at a perfect time -- when I get back, I will start gearing up towards playing basketball. I will be able to do more advanced movements like running, jumping and sliding laterally.
    I am pretty excited about that because I have missed those things but also I can start to see light at the end of the tunnel. I'm beginning to feel like a basketball player again and not a recovering patient.

With my own personal getaway, I'm also going take a blog vacation. So check back in a couple weeks to pick up where we left off.