Thread: Hawks dealing first-round pick. Speedy Claxton?

Default Hawks dealing first-round pick. Speedy Claxton?

-Atlanta is reportedly looking to package the #19 pick along with Speedy Claxton’s contract, in order to clear additional cap room, likely to resign Mike Bibby. 80% of Claxton’s contract (5.2 million) will be picked up by an insurance company, making this a relatively cheap investment for a team with cap room looking to acquire another pick.

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jon...June-16th-3263

Word on the Street, June 16th

by: Jonathan Givony - President
    June 16, 2009

Would the Pacers be able to do deal like this? I think it'll be enticing to have two picks in the first round (#13 and #19) and draft a combination of a power foward and a point guard. Blair and Teague perhaps ?

Default Re: Hawks dealing first-round pick. Speedy Claxton?

We don't have any cap room to offer. I'd love the 19th pick, but really don't have any way to make a deal with them that would help their cap position.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

This offer from Atlanta only applies to teams under the cap.

Does anyone have a list of the teams that are currently under the cap? What will that list look like July 1st?

I'm pretty sure Detroit is...maybe Memphis? And one or two others I think.

And it begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anyone have a list of the teams that are currently under the cap? What will that list look like July 1st?
    Next year's salary cap is projected at $57.3mm. Here are the teams that are projected under the cap (with notes):

Atlanta - Payroll is at $40.9mm, but (as this rumor shows) they are going to have to chew that up re-signing their own guys. In addition to big names Mike Bibby and Marvin Williams, Zaza Pachulia and Flip Murray are also free agents.

They have no real usable space to sign free agents because of the cap holds on Bibby and Williams. Bibby is at about 150% of his last year's salary ($22mm), while Williams is 300% (coming out of his rookie contract), or about $17mm.

Cap holds don't count against luxury tax considerations, but they do impact the money available to sign free agents. It is to prevent a team from letting their contracts expire, signing up big $ free agents, then re-signing their own guys, thus circumventing the cap.

Cap holds can be released by renouncing the rights to your own FA's. If you renounce the rights to a FA, you can still re-sign them, but you no longer have any cap exceptions, other than the Minimum Player exception. You must have free cap space (and I don't think that they are even available under the MLE, but I'll have to research that.)

Detroit - Payroll is $39.1mm. They have two FA's in Iverson and Sheed, but their cap holds are prohibitive. Detroit is almost certain to renounce those two players. Detroit is expected to be one of, if no the most aggressive in using their cap space this summer.

(Recent rumors suggest that Detroit is not likely to help Atlanta here. Detroit was supposedly trying to deal the #15 and Amir Johnson to OKC (see below) in order to create a even more cap space.)

Detroit probably can take on about $15-18mm worth of salaries, either through FA or unbalanced trades.

Memphis - Payroll is $36.0mm, and Hakim Warrick is the only significant cap hold that they might retain (hold of $6.4mm). They could afford to take about $20mm in salaries, either through FA or inbalanced trade.

However, IMO, they will not make any significant efforts to make a big splash here. They are for sale, and in cost containment mode.

On the other hand, they might be willing to make a deal like this Atlanta deal...it is not a long-term commitment, and some of the expense may be defrayed by insurance.

Broad picture, I think Memphis probably will act a lot like a farm team until new ownership is found. I could be wrong, but I expect this team to be under the cap for years to come with attractive young talent that is unlikely to stay there long term.

Oklahoma City - Payroll is $42.5mm, but that includes $4.4mm of unguaranteed/partially unguaranteed contracts. Chucky Atkins is on their books for about $3.5mm, but only about $1.0mm is guaranteed. They have no significant players for cap holds.

They could probably take on $12-15mm in salaries, and could be a trade partner for Atlanta here.

However, rumors are that they are willing to spend, and they may be almost as active as Detroit this summer.

Portland - Payroll is at $48.9mm. There are $7.6mm in partially unguaranteed contracts, but they are for Steve Blake and Travis Outlaw. I find it highly likely that they will retain those two. Channing Frye would be the only significant cap hold, but I think it's likely that they would renounce his rights if the right opportunity came along.

They could probably take $7-8mm in payroll, and they could be a trade partner for Atlanta, but I'm not sure they would think that a wise use of that cap space.

Sacramento - Payroll at $45.0mm, with the only reasonably possible cap hold being for Rashad McCants. They could take on about $10-12mm, and it might make some sense for them to do this trade with Atlanta.

They are not expected to be big players this summer.

Toronto - Payroll is at $46.7mm, but they will have to make a decision on Shawn Marion and his $26.7mm cap hold, before they can take on any salary. This makes them a bad match for the Atlanta trade, because I'm sure they will want to keep their options open on Marion. (This trade would require them to let him go before the FA period starts.)

Minnesota - Payroll at $51.0mm, but this is close enough that the cap holds for the rookies and exceptions (MLE, LLE) kick in, putting them over the cap. They really won't be able to do a trade like the Atlanta deal.

So, it looks like Detroit and Portland could, but probably won't. Toronto and Minny are probably out because of cap holds. That leaves Memphis, OKC, and Sacramento as possible takers for the deal as structured.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As usual, the czar of all things cap related comes through. Very informative count, thanks.