Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 58

Thread: You know your a degenerate when...

  1. #1

    Default You know your a degenerate when...

    you know which site has the box scores for the summer league games. So here it is. The kid Pat Riley grabbed Dorrell Wright had 30 today.

    http://www.proexposure.com/


  2. #2

    Default Re: You know your a degenerate when...

    You know your a degenerate when...

    you don't know the difference between you're and your. ed:
    [edit=27=1089158181][/edit]

  3. #3
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,962

    Default Re: You know your a degenerate when...

    Yep, I was gonna get on there right after this.

    And dd, don't pay attention to the anal-retentive grammar freaks. It's too depressing to think about all the issues they must have. Probably not held enough as infants, or something. It's sad, really. :
    ---
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  4. #4

    Default Re: You know your a degenerate when...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep, I was gonna get on there right after this.

    And dd, don't pay attention to the anal-retentive grammar freaks. It's too depressing to think about all the issues they must have. Probably not held enough as infants, or something.
    Or grew up in a household where the basic tenets of english grammar were taught.

    [edit=27=1089167574][/edit]
    [edit=27=1089167769][/edit]

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,657

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: You know your a degenerate when...

    Quote Originally Posted by bulletproof
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You know your a degenerate when...

    you don't know the difference between you're and your. ed:
    Or.....
    then and than or....
    they're and their and there or......
    to and too and two

  6. #6
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,826

    Default Re: You know your a degenerate when...

    Does it make you a degenerate if you bookmark the degenerate's link and refer to it often?

    Does it make you a degenerate if you find the following stuff actually interesting?

    Dwight Howard with a strong 1-13 start....
    Luke Jackson 9-17 from the field for 19 pts. with 6 assists, 4 rebounds and 4 steals.....
    The Bobcats dismantled the Raptors, even without their dominating man in the middle, Peanut Butter....


    [edit=19=1089168036][/edit]
    [edit=19=1089168079][/edit]
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  7. #7
    Member efx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,657

    Default Re: You know your a degenerate when...

    Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletproof
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You know your a degenerate when...

    you don't know the difference between you're and your. ed:
    Or.....
    then and than or....
    they're and their and there or......
    to and too and two
    And my personal favorite:

    Should of instead of Should have

  8. #8
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: You know your a degenerate when...

    I've never seen Larry post on here!!!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  9. #9
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: You know your a degenerate when...

    Although this "your / you're" thing is one of my pet peeves, I probably wouldn't have ever mentioned it on here previously if it weren't for the hilarious Kenny Smith/ Charles Barkley discussion of the same topic.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  10. #10
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,826

    Default Re: You know your a degenerate when...

    There used to be a rampant "lose/loose" problem on the board, but that seems to have died down a bit........
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  11. #11
    Member Snickers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    True
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,614

    Default Re: You know your a degenerate when...

    But the Pacers/Pacer's misplaced apostrophe epidemic is still in full swing.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

  12. #12
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: You know your a degenerate when...

    Quote Originally Posted by Snickers
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But the Pacers/Pacer's misplaced apostrophe epidemic is still in full swing.
    Although I have certain grammatical pet peeves, don't forget that I am from Greenwood and really, grammar ain't our thing. So I have to be re-learned of some rules.

    Which is correct?

    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  13. #13
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: You know your a degenerate when...

    LMAO at Btown.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  14. #14
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,783

    Default Re: You know your a degenerate when...

    Quote Originally Posted by Snickers
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But the Pacers/Pacer's misplaced apostrophe epidemic is still in full swing.

    Wouldn't the correct usage be Pacers'

    I suppose it matters if Pacers is singular or plural


  15. #15
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: You know your a degenerate when...

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Snickers
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But the Pacers/Pacer's misplaced apostrophe epidemic is still in full swing.

    Wouldn't the correct usage be Pacers'

    I suppose it matters if Pacers is singular or plural
    That's what I was thinking...
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  16. #16
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,826

    Default Re: You know your a degenerate when...

    http://www.wheaton.edu/learnres/writ...apostrophe.htm

    To indicate possession
    When something belongs to someone or something, show the relationship between them by using an apostrophe and an ending s. For example, if the ball belongs to Jim, write:

    That is Jim's ball.

    If the person or object ends in s, adding an additional s after the apostrophe is optional. A good rule of thumb is that singular nouns take an s while plural nouns do not.

    The census's results are inconclusive.
    The books' bindings are in need of repair.

    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  17. #17

    Default Re: You know your a degenerate when...

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Snickers
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But the Pacers/Pacer's misplaced apostrophe epidemic is still in full swing.

    Wouldn't the correct usage be Pacers'

    I suppose it matters if Pacers is singular or plural
    Yeah I think. Since Pacers is singular, it might be Pacers's...but who knows


    Sa ne
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  18. #18

    Default Re: You know your a degenerate when...

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah I think. Since Pacers is singular, it might be Pacers's...but who knows


    Sa ne
    Pacers's

  19. #19
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: You know your a degenerate when...

    Let's try this...

    Reggie Miller is a Pacer for life.

    Rick Carlisle coaches the Pacers.

    I like to watch Pacers' games.


    Agree/ Disagree?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  20. #20
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,783

    Default Re: You know your a degenerate when...

    So if I were to say the Pacers best player is Artest. The correct way to write that is Pacers's.

    What if I say I went to a Pacers game last night. What is the correct way to write that.


  21. #21
    Member Snickers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    True
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,614

    Default Re: You know your a degenerate when...

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.wheaton.edu/learnres/writ...apostrophe.htm

    To indicate possession
    When something belongs to someone or something, show the relationship between them by using an apostrophe and an ending s. For example, if the ball belongs to Jim, write:

    That is Jim's ball.

    If the person or object ends in s, adding an additional s after the apostrophe is optional. A good rule of thumb is that singular nouns take an s while plural nouns do not.

    The census's results are inconclusive.
    The books' bindings are in need of repair.


    Possessive: "That is btown's monkey."
    Plural: "When btown and his monkey are left alone, baby btowns appear."

    I've pissed off a lot of friends by arguing over that one. And don't forget the its/it's debate. To quote Strong Bad,

    "If you want it to be possessive, it's just I-T-S, but if it's supposed to be a contraction, it's I-T-apostrophe-S. Scalawag."
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

  22. #22
    Member Snickers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    True
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,614

    Default Re: You know your a degenerate when...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let's try this...

    Reggie Miller is a Pacer for life.

    Yup.

    Rick Carlisle coaches the Pacers.

    Yup.

    I like to watch Pacers' games.

    In this case, you should use "Pacers" as an adjectival label, as in "What kind of game was it? It was a Pacers game."

    It's a game involving a group of Pacers [plural], thus "I like to watch Pacers games."

    But I'm pretty sure nobody would correct you if you were to use "Pacers' game;" they'd be overwhelmed by your incredible knowledge of possessive apostrophe placement. Except on here, now that the topic has been discussed.

    edit: If you say "I like to watch the Pacers' games," that's correct, since you're specifying who/what the games belong to, and Pacers' therefore becomes possessive.

    Agree/ Disagree?
    So if I were to say the Pacers best player is Artest. The correct way to write that is Pacers's.

    "The Pacers' best player is Jermaine O'neal." because Pacers is plural and ends in s. If it were singular and ended in s, like census, Travis, etc., it would have an extra s after the apostrophe.

    What if I say I went to a Pacers game last night. What is the correct way to write that.

    You got it. "Pacers game," since Pacers is used as an adjectival label to desribe what kind of game it was.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

  23. #23
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,639

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: You know your a degenerate when...

    Style usage differs. Classical grammar states that the posessive of any noun ending in "s" is created by using the apostrophe after the "s" - Pacers' in this case.

    However, at least one style manual (I don't think it's Strunk and White, I think it is Chicago) states that if the noun is singular it may be OK to use an "'s" after it - Pacers's, for example.

    Compound this with the changes in usage of whether a team name in general is plural or singular, and whether a team name ending in "s" is treated the same way, and you have a huge ball of wax.

    My personal manual of style says:

    Team name: Indiana Pacers
    Treatment: plural ("The Pacers have signed Joe Blow.")
    Possessive: Pacers'
    Adjective form: singular(!) ("I went to a Pacer game last night")

    It has no consistency, since I use Hawks as plural in all cases ("I went to a Hawks game last night") - however, the one consistency is that the team name is not posessive in the adjective form - the Hawks and Pacers don't necessarily own the game, the team name is an adjective describing what kind of game I went to.

    The Grammar Policeman says, "Nothing to see here. You can go about your business."

    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  24. #24
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: You know your a degenerate when...

    Surely everyone knew the possessive was Pacers' , right? Riiiight? *echo*

  25. #25
    Member Netweeny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Age
    41
    Posts
    87

    Default Re: You know your a degenerate when...

    You know you're a degenerate when you hijack a perfectly good thread and turn it into a 5th grade grammar discussion.
    [edit=137=1089218098][/edit]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •