Thread: Stallworth gets 30 days for DUI manslaughter

Default Stallworth gets 30 days for DUI manslaughter

Disgusting.

Here's a clip from a Florida attorney website:
    If the person is DUI, as described above, and causes or contributes to the cause of a crash involving death, the person is subject to being charged with DUI-Manslaughter. It is a second degree felony, level 8 offense, subject to 15 years in the state prison. The Florida Sentencing Guidelines apply. Without going into the details, a single death carries a minimum of approximately 10 years in prison. There is a mandatory permanent revocation of the driver's license.
    He gets 30 days. Just how does that work ?? He probably keeps his license also.

At the risk of sounding repetitive - disgusting.

Default Re: Stallworth gets 30 days for DUI manslaughter

Rather bizarre. He pays off the family and somehow that allows him to plead guility and yet the guilty plea is not considered a conviction. A conviction would have require a mandatory 4-year sentence. Somehow or another I think a few people not in the victim's family also got paid.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...-reyes-family/

Mood

If it were plain old joe me I'd be looking at spending the better part of the next decade behind bars. 30 days? WTF? Where is this 30 day sentence being held? Club Fed? Does he get 15 for good behavior?

I have no idea what happened. I heard the guy Stallworth hit was jay walking. I know that does not deserve the death sentence. The thing about the modern day judicial system is it has nothing to do with morality and everything to do with money and that is sad.

If Florida allows a "No contest" plea... (or "Nolo Contendre" (same thing)) then that makes some sense (very little though since it means you aren't declaring guilt but are willing to accept the consequences as if you had... which in my thinking equals a 'conviction'). Otherwise, this makes no sense to me.

Plus, I can't understand why the charges couldn't just be reduced to get around the minimum sentencing guidelines. Especially since everyone directly involved is agreeing with the final outcome.

I question whether the report accurately depicts what is really happening in the legal arena on this one. It seems a dangerous precedent to be setting if they are really going to pretend a 'guilty' plea circumvents the phrasing of the sentencing guidelines. Especially if reduced charges could get them the same desired outcome but not set such a precedent.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is a ****ing travesty. The legal system is ****ed up. No wonder I have no faith in it.

**** this world.

Given this, I wonder how Plaxico's case will end up ................

Can we get a link to the origional web site? I want to check into this more before i comment.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...I-manslaughter

MIAMI (AP) - Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte' Stallworth took full responsibility for killing a pedestrian while driving drunk in Florida and began serving a 30-day jail sentence Tuesday after he pleaded guilty to DUI manslaughter.

Stallworth also reached a confidential financial settlement to avoid a potential lawsuit from the family of 59-year-old Mario Reyes, according to Stallworth attorney Christopher Lyons. Reyes was struck and killed March 14 by Stallworth, who was driving his black 2005 Bentley after a night drinking at a swanky hotel bar.

Stallworth, 28, told Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Dennis Murphy that he hopes to get involved in drunken driving education programs.

"I accept full responsibility for this horrible tragedy," said Stallworth, who was accompanied at the hearing by his parents, siblings and other supporters. "I will bear this burden for the rest of my life."

Stallworth faced 15 years in prison. After his release from jail, Stallworth must serve two years of house arrest and spend eight years on probation.

The NFL has said it will review the matter for possible disciplinary action. Lyons said the plea agreement will allow Stallworth to resume his football career.

Stallworth also must undergo drug and alcohol testing, will have a lifetime driver's license suspension and must perform 1,000 hours of community service. Lyons said after five years, Stallworth could win approval for limited driving such as for employment.

Stallworth, left, could have faced 15 years in prison, but his plea deal gives him 30 days in jail and 10 years probation.

Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle cited Stallworth's lack of previous criminal record, cooperation with police and willingness to accept responsibility as factors in the plea deal. Rundle also said the Reyes family — particularly the victim's 15-year-old daughter — wanted the case resolved to avoid any more pain.

"For all of these reasons, a just resolution of this case has been reached," Rundle said.

None of the Reyes family attended the hearing. Their attorney, Rodolfo Suarez, read a statement saying the family wants to "bring closure to this emotional and tragic event." Suarez was not immediately available to comment after the hearing.

After a night drinking at a bar in Miami Beach's Fountainebleau hotel, police said Stallworth hit Reyes, a construction crane operator who was rushing to catch a bus after finishing his shift around 7:15 a.m. Stallworth told police he flashed his lights in an attempt to warn Reyes, who was not in a crosswalk when he was struck.

Stallworth had a blood-alcohol level of .126 after the crash, well above Florida's .08 limit. Stallworth stopped after the crash and immediately told officers he had hit Reyes.
    Police estimated Stallworth was driving about 50 mph in a 40 mph zone.

Stallworth signed a seven-year, $35 million contract with the Browns before last season but was injured much of the year. The California native and University of Tennessee college star has also played in the NFL for New England, Philadelphia and New Orleans.

The night before the crash, Stallworth earned a $4.5 million roster bonus from the Browns.

David Cornwell, a Stallworth attorney handling the NFL situation, said he has kept top league officials apprised of the case.

"Whenever it is appropriate to do so, we are prepared to discuss the circumstances under which Donte' will resume his career," Cornwell said.

After reading the story I don't have a problem with how this went down. At least he admitted he was wrong, took care of the family, and seems to want to make ammends. I highlighted some parts that make this more, in my opinion, than just another slap on the wrist and get out of jail free celebrity justice story.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

Thanks for that, Ken. That really changes my opinion on this. Stallworth sounds like a decent human being in spite of it all. Although it does seem like the family was paid off.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Of course the family was paid off, but they seem to be perfectly ok with this. It was a terrible tragedy, but I think when you factor in the entire sentence and such as well as the fact that he was very helpful with the police and such it isn't as bad as it initially seemed.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    when you factor in the entire sentence and such as well as the fact that he was very helpful with the police and such it isn't as bad as it initially seemed.
    Probably why OJ didn't get convicted - he was still looking for the real killer.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Shouldn't this be at UnPD?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I'm glad its not or i probably wouldn't have commented on it. Plus, the discussion has been very civil and orderly.

It probably should be on UnPD. I let it go initially because it's sports-related and has remained very civil. But it shouldn't be here.